Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
On stuff to give Fighters, I was looking through the Rules Cyclopedia and some of the weapon specialization abilities were pretty cool.

Delay would make the target go last in initiative on the next round (and potentially getting hit by Delay again).
Deflect let the Fighter make a saving throw to completely avoid a melee or ranged attack 1/2/3/4 times per round.
Hook would knock down the target, but the game elaborated on it enough to say that it meant +4 to-hit when attacking the knocked-down target, and the target would have -4 AC and -2 to saving throws, until it got up
Skewer would immobilize a (large-sized) target for 1d4+4 rounds and deal 1d6 damage per round
Stun would take effect on a failed save and prevent a target from moving, attacking or casting spells and give it -2 AC and saving throws for every round that it fails to be make a saving throw, but it could get stunned again by another attack the next round anyway

Of the rest, Double Damage (but with a threat range of 17,18,19,20) and Second Attack were not as mechanically interesting, Set Spear and Charge are one-shot abilities, Entangle looks like a wash because the Fighter needs to maintain it, and Disarm is already a Battlemaster thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Gort posted:

Can you not just declare him unconscious when you reduce him to 0 HP?

I couldn't find anything in the PHB about subdual damage, and knocking him unconscious at 0 HP can still cause death if he fails his 3 saving throws

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

LightWarden posted:

"Knocking a creature out" says that the creature falls unconscious and is stable. Stable creatures don't make death saving throws. A stable creature regains 1 HP after 1d4 hours.

Thanks. I figured I was just missing something.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ascendance posted:

The creators of 5e might have read this blog post.

http://dungeonsmaster.com/2011/01/kill-fighters/

I really hate how MMO-like 4E Fighters are, what with their ability to present a monster with a perfectly rational choice between attacking the Fighter or the Wizard. Good thing 5E brings us back to reality with the Battlemaster's Goading Strike

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mastershakeman posted:

Maybe the solution to fighters being underwhelming is to give them all grenades?

I could get behind this. No matter how complex or unintuitive a class is, give them some grenades and the players will always know what to do with them.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Agent Boogeyman posted:

Is there anything that requires a shield in hand to do (As in powers that can only be used with a shield in hand or a magic shield's activated ability)?

The Shield Master feat:

quote:

You use shields not just for protection but also for offense. You gain the following benefits while you are wielding a shield:

If you take the Attack action on your turn, you can use a bonus action to try to shove a creature within 5 feet of you with your shield.

If you aren’t incapacitated, you can add your shield’s AC bonus to any Dexterity saving throw you make against a spell or other harmful effect that targets only you.

If you are subjected to an effect that allows you to make a Dexterity saving throw to take only half damage, you can use your reaction to take no damage if you succeed on the saving throw, interposing your shield between yourself and the source of the effect.

So under one possible interpretation of Unarmored Defense, the Barbarian can equip a shield, gain no AC from the shield, but retain the effect of Unarmored Defense while also still being able to use the Shield Master abilities above.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The Basic DM rules, pages 3-6, have some ... words on creating your own monsters.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I looked through the 20 different CR4 monsters because I was thinking you could just re-skin one of them as a Greater Gargoyle and the stats are honestly all over the place.

For AC, the Black Pudding is the lowest at 7, then the Helmed Horror has 20, and then the rest are scattered about between 11 to 17 with an average of 13.85

For HP, the Flameskull has 40, then the Weretiger has 120, and the average is about 75

The damage is going to be off because I didn't bother with looking up spells and abilities, but the Succubus/Incubus does the least at 6, while the Ettin tops out at 28 (two strikes of 2d8+5)

I also found the rolled HP to be really weird: one creature uses d4s, most of them use d8s, but there's a few d10s and a single d12, and almost all of them have +x amounts that are worth multiple hit dice, but even those range from +12 to +44

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

moths posted:

Or maybe even abandon the outdated PHB/MM/DMG model entirely!

It's not like D&D would even be the first RPG to do this if they did.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Babylon Astronaut posted:

To be fair, it is better than 3.5 if only because the fiddly bullshit isn't out yet.

Right, it's better than 3.PF, but if Azran's group already does like 4E then Next is probably going to be a step backwards for them. Next has a particular appeal.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Dahbadu posted:

Seriously, I can't believe this -- do you have a link? Although by all accounts the guy sounds incompetent, this is just so unprofessional. With a lead designer/manager making comments like that, I'm 100% assured it's going to turn into vaporware.

http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2ouvs&page=4?Goblinworks-Blog-I-Heard-It-through-the#196

quote:

Yeah, I took that non-denial as admission to being a Goon as well. Unsurprising given the m.o.

You want to make a name for yourself on Something Awful? Troll a forum. If you get the denizens riled up, that's a win. If you get the mods riled up, that's sweet, sweet tears of rage you brag about. You get an owner riled up? It's as good as counting coup! Put that trophy on the wall and brag about it forever!

I'm not much fun for Goons.

@TerraNova - We'll be very open to a dialog with the community. We'll likely even have some sort of community body that forms in some sort of official advisory capacity. We're not running a dictatorship, we're running a dictocracy. That's where everyone has a fair chance to make their point and vote on a direction, then I decide what to do. If I thought I could create from whole cloth a functioning, healthy society all by myself by fiat I'd be delusional. It takes community effort and community involvement to make a society work.

I always think it's interesting when people focus on the worst case scenario. "What if I accidentally type "F++* you"?!?!?!?! I'll get banned without appeal and lose everything!"

Come on guys. We're not idiots here. Nobody wants to ban anyone. Nobody at Goblinworks has the time or the inclination to go looking for one-off derp derp and go through the immense hassle of banning an account. It's the Nuclear Option. We use it when there's no other good course of action.

Let's focus on the best-case scenario:

People who actually do want to rile others up just for the lulz are kept to a minimum, and the community views that behavior as so aberrant that it self-policies to a large degree the kids trying to be cynical/tough/ironic/sarcastic/hip/cool who just don't know any better, and acts like the body's immune system when it's someone who is actually interested in pouring gasoline on the place and burning it down just to watch it burn - identifying them quickly, bringing attention to them swiftly, and being happy to be well rid of them when they're forcibly removed from the premises.

The quality of community thus engendered attracts a great audience of folks who have been looking for that kind of community attached to a fantasy sandbox, and have been turned off by the toxic, degenerate, schoolyard bullies that seem to populate all the others. That's a positive feedback loop as the healthy nature of our community becomes a feature of the product, used by evangelists to recruit their friends.

Societies tend follow the ground rules laid down at their inceptions. They build momentum. Barring major disaster or a significant change to the environment, societal patterns tend to reinforce themselves. If you have good patterns from the start, you tend to get a good development long term. If you have unhealthy patterns at the start, you fight the tide forever trying to fix the problem.

Just look at the difference here, on the Paizo forums, which have been well groomed from the start to engender a healthy society, and compare them to what you find on other RPG discussion forums. This isn't rocket science. The days when all this had to be figured out by black-boxing the community or operating on conventional wisdom and guesswork are long over. There's tried and true practices for managing great on line communities, and we're just going to use them.

RyanD

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The way he tried to describe it (a decade after the fact, so whatever) is that it was supposed to be a Warcraft 3/DOTA sort of thing: just as people ended up buying Warcraft 3 just to play DOTA, people would also buy D&D products either as a way to play the other 3rd-party 'mod' that needs it, or that they'd keep playing the D&D product knowing that they'd have 3rd-party publishers continuing to produce content for it.

The other analogy he used is that it's like Valve not taking a cut from Gamersgate or Amazon or Humble Bundle selling Steam keys: it's enough for Valve to simply get the person into the Steam environment, or in this case the 3.x/d20 environment, where they can be marketed to directly.

Of course this doesn't quite capture the differences between the computer gaming and TTRPG industries, and he was saying this long after he'd left WOTC and profited from his own shenanigans.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Eye of Vecna posted:

Each time you cast a spell from the eye, there is a 5 percent chance that Vecna tears your soul from your body, devours it, and then takes control of the body like a puppet. If that happens, you become an NPC under the DM's control.

Obsidian Steed posted:

If you have a good alignment, the figurine has a 10 percent chance each time you use it to ignore your orders, including a command to revert to figurine form. If you mount the nightmare while it is ignoring your orders, you and the nightmare are instantly transported to a random lcocation on the plane of Hades, where the nightmare reverts to figurine form.

I don't know which one I like less, the completely lolrandom effects that can permanently gently caress over a character, or the insistence on using "percent" instead of "%"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Right - the way the penalty is structured right now, you can't manage it or predict it in any way, and that just shifts it from "can I risk using this thing just one more time?" to "never use it unless the alternative is literally death because if I blow it and roll the 1 on the d20 for Vecna's Takeover I'm dead anyway, even if it's only the first time I've ever used it"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Can either of you elaborate more on what you thought caused the 2 hour fights? Was it ability selection/use? Rules adjudication? Simply hitting the monster and eating through all its HP?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Rannos22 posted:

It's really disappointing that nobody has made a really professional virtual tabletop that will track all the little fiddly bits ttrpgs are rife with.

Doesn't Fantasy Grounds do exactly this? The price and need to learn how to program in xml for houserules and niche systems notwithstanding.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

MonsterEnvy posted:

Ours was do to the area were fighting in. A temple being warped by the chaotic power of Limbo.

It probably would not have taken as long had the Dungeon been more normal.

Cassa posted:

There were a fair few distractions, and less than optimal play on me and my friends part, this being our first time at high-ish level

That said, this was apparently a random encounter, that was then tweaked. It didn't feel long at the time, but it also didn't feel like a particularly useful use of time.

Thanks for the insight. It's interesting to hear from higher level play since that would seem to really be the test of "this is the fastest playing DND ever" is going to hold up.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Jake Solomon and whatever engine powers XCOM Enemy Unknown/Within is so perfect for a 4E (or Strike!) video game adaptation that it hurts.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
There is no math - monster stat assignment is arbitrary, with the sole exception of "this size monster has this size hit dice"

Stealth is worded ambiguously enough that it both works and doesn't work, depending on how you choose to interpret the RAW.

The DMG isn't out yet because that's always how D&D did things (except when they didn't in 4E)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

crime fighting hog posted:

I was in a similar boat, I had played maybe once before and was then picked to be DM (and stayed there all these years) so my only advice is read the rules till you have a good grasp of them.

Seconding this. I don't know if this is common but I basically study the rules until I can run all of it myself and just ask the players what they want to do and roll the dice and the rest is me doing the processing, although I will grant that this might not work for more complex games.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

MonsterEnvy posted:

According to the rules of expeditions you can you can rebuild your character however you like up to level 4. Meaning if you got the Headband before level 5 you could just drop your Int down to 8 buff your other stats and use it to give yourself 19 int.

I'm rather surprised that D&D has a rule as 'progressive' as respeccing and that this hasn't caused more uproar.

Rannos22 posted:

Don't be ridiculous, any TRUE DM will be rolling what's in an encounter from the random encounter table in the appendix.

This is a joke, right? There aren't any random encounter tables in the DM Basic Rules nor the MM, and the monster statblocks don't have the "number appearing" stat anymore

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
How is damage-per-round calculated to factor in chance-to-hit? Do you just multiply the average damage-per-hit by the chance-to-hit? That is, 1d20+2 has a 55% chance to roll 12 or better, so does that mean 1d10+2 damage would come out to [7.5 average damage * 55% chance-to-hit] = 4.125 DPR?

I ask because I'm trying to establish my own guidelines to building monsters and setting their HP and AC to last x many rounds because of z DPR by y number of players seems to be a starting point, or am I missing something?

Sanglorian posted:

Alright folks, I decided to do something about finding 5E character creation such a slog:

The first draft of Microlite5E.

Partly, the aim is to reduce the complexity of the resulting characters, but it's mostly about narrowing the player's decisions during character creation to the most meaningful and dramatic. It keeps all class features, but simplifies weapon and armour choices, replaces skills with broader proficiencies, reduces races to a single feature, and uses ability modifiers (no scores). Also, proficiency in a save only makes a +2 difference at any level, rather than the potential +6 gap.

Please let me know what you think.

I like it. I'm a huge fan of Robin Stacey's Microlites and of broad, non-specific skills in general.

I usually end up rewriting whole sections of rules for my own reference just so they'd get to the point sooner, and minus all the fluff, so the straightforwardness of this approach appeals to me.

If I were to make a suggestion, I'd suggest a section where you show how to fill out the character following those same steps, one at a time.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I think even the original D&D said that an "attack" in the context of a 6-10 second round wasn't representative of a single swing/stab/thrust, but rather an abstraction of all the positioning, parrying, jockeying and multiple attack attempts during that time frame, and a "hit" wasn't so much a single successful attack attempt so much as however more tired and bruised your opponent, hand-in-hand with the concept that Hit Points didn't represent "meat" but rather the physical stature and mental energy required to avoid being dealt a killing blow.

A Fighter gained bonus attacks not because he attacked "faster" in the literal sense, but that he simply found more opportunities to beat and batter his opponent within the same 6-10 second time frame, and since an attack has nothing to do with individual arm motions, the bonus attacks would always happen regardless of what weapon would be used.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
So I found a/the formula for computing DPR - my next question would be if monster HP is/should be based on an expected fight length or if it should be more towards just escalating hit dice as the level increases.

My thinking was more towards the former since basing a monster's HP/AC level as a percentage of an expected average DPR means you can design them such that you're never completely outpacing a character's output, but then I don't know how long a combat should last.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Laphroaig posted:

What, exactly, are you trying to do, and why are you trying to do it? Is the goal to create a monster in 5E?

Exactly right. I can't see any rhyme or reason to the MM monster design, but I figure it should be possible to have at least some rough guidelines on creating a monster using the capabilities of the characters as a starting point:

Given the attack bonus (attribute modifier+proficiency bonus) and the basic attack damage of a player of any given level, set the AC to have about a 60% chance to hit and then adjust the HP until it'd take approximately x rounds (I'm thinking 4?) to kill.

Spells and abilities and the action economy/focus fire will undoubtedly throw this off, but I figure if you start from a baseline of something like "4 goblins would be this strong against 4 Fighters", then you would at least have a better idea of how much more or less strong the individual monsters or the whole group should be as you throw in more.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

wallawallawingwang posted:

gradenko_2000, I think you've got the basic idea of how to do it correct. But the length combat should last is really subjective. If your group really loves combat then clearly your "should" is going to be longer than a group that doesn't care for it, and vice versa. However, there are a couple of other things to keep in mind that I don't think have been brought up yet. You'll want to gauge the length of fights based on the amount of interesting player, monster, terrain, and situational options available. It sucks when fights devolve into the DM and players trading "I hit for 16, I miss, I miss, I hit for 7" ad nauseum, even if its wrapped up in a lot of prose. You also want to look at roughly how much damage the monsters can expect to do (once again based on expected PC values) and try to find the sweet spot of fights that cost resources but don't statistically lead to TPKs. Finally, you want to look at how many of that type of monster you expect to throw at the PCs in a fight. My personal preference across a few different genres and in both table top and video game settings seems to be more weaker enemies over fewer stronger enemies and boss/solo enemies that get ways to subvert the action economy and have resistances and immunities to the nastier status effects.

Thanks for the insight - and yeah, I was sort of expecting there's going to be an element of "DM fiat" in this no matter what.

Monster damage towards players is the next thing I was thinking about. Wasn't it supposed to be something like an average fight being able to use up a quarter of the party's resources leading up to about 4 per "adventuring day"?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Huh. Okay. Subdividing it that finely when a Fighter's got ~13 HP at level 1 and a caster has 4 spells is going to be a thing.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

AlphaDog posted:

If you're reworking monsters, you're going to have to rework the encounter building stuff anyway.

6-8 medium-hard is a pretty drat big range when you look at what that could actually mean.

e: I realise you're not actually reworking monsters, just trying to find a way to build them consistently. There's been a lot of discussion already about how/why the encounter-building stuff is weird, so it's probably not a good idea to work back from it to get what you're after.

You're probably right, thanks for the advice.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
In the back of my mind I know that HP/damage (and, for that matter, "hits" and "attacks") are supposed to be an abstraction, but when I'm narrating I still fall back to statements like "Yeah! That was a solid hit", "Ouch, that hurt" and "oh he's hurting now!"

Bloodied as the 4E adjective is also such a handy descriptor that I find myself using it all the time.

AlphaDog posted:

If I could be bothered doing what you're doing (which I can't, trying to make sense out of the existing monsters was bad enough), I would go about it like this:

0: What are you using as your standard for "average party"? (Probably 4 PCs? What classes? Assume a base level of charop?)

1: How many average fights in a day? (e: that is, how many can the party be expected to actually fight rather than bypassing without expending resources)

2: What should an easy / average / hard / stupid fight "cost" the average party?

3: Fit monster stats and abilities to 2.

4: Fit monster CR/XP/whatever to 2.

Right, I was thinking about the same lines. To be honest I don't really game enough that this will probably come into play anytime soon, but it's an interesting mental/design exercise.

As far as average party, I was thinking to just tailor it to the actual party I was playing with, or perhaps to average out DPR potential of martial classes and work from there. I'm really not familiar enough with caster classes yet - probably something I should look at too.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Fluffwise, I can't say I agree with "Oathbreaker" as the Evil Paladin name. It sort of implies that every Evil Paladin used to be a Good Paladin, but then Fell, as opposed to "A Paladin that was always Evil to begin with", or "A Paladin for an Evil deity". They could have gone with a more origin-neutral name, such as Avenger or Reaver if Anti-Paladin sounded too plainly contrarian.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Mike Mearls is running an AMA right now, if anyone's interested.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ocrumsprug posted:

Will there be a Next edition video game even?

Trying to codify Next's RAW into a form that can be crunched by a computer may well be the next Millenium Prize Problem after P versus NP

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Grimpond posted:

Where is the system clear though? Everyone who's tried running the numbers in this thread to figure it out have come up mostly empty handed.

If the DMG ends up having clear, precise rules on creature creation for any given CR, I'll eat my hat.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
As a little side-project, I've been trying to convert class+subclass into single page forms to gain more familiarity with the classes.

I do the Fighter first, and then the Cleric, and then I get to the Tempest domain Cleric.

At level 6, Thunderbolt Strike can push a target away 10 feet whenever the Cleric hits a target with lightning damage. That's just 5 feet less than the Battle Master's Pushing Attack, and in exchange the Cleric can do it all day with Divine Strike at level 8 to deal lightning damage on any successful weapon attack and the target can't save against it.

At level 17, the Cleric just loving flies.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

i linked someone reverse engineering the system a long time ago, but as per Mike Mearls:

That's just some guy saying "ok, monsters of this CR all have HP that ranges from x to y, with an average of z", and repeat for damage and AC.

It's still very much "it's up to your DM", and while I understand that some of it is always going to be up to your DM regardless, the range is just really really wide.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
They've never told us how to get "offensive CR" and "defensive CR" either, have they?

Intuitively it seems like a good idea: defensive CR is how hard the monster is to hit with weapon attacks (AC), how hard the monster is to hit with spell attacks (saves, resistance, etc) and how much damage it can absorb (HP). Offensive CR is how hard the monster hits back, which translates to how much of the party's resources it drains in terms of heals and buffs and healing dice. I went through the same mental process trying to come up with my own method of forming monsters.

But if we still don't know how any CR is arrived at, offensive, defensive or combined, then they're not really telling us much of anything.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Another DMG preview dropped, this time of the magic item tables

From dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/excerpt-magic-items-table

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

AlphaDog posted:

I still can't understand why you'd bother writing up all these fun-sounding things that have a 1 percent chance of appearing on one of the many loot tables.

I'm using random loot tables in my campaign, and what happened when I was rolling up loot for the last boss fight that party did was that the d100 hit on 100, which was a Potion of Youth.

I ended up crafting a whole new plotline around it: the adventurers are too young to use it themselves, but they could give it to the King and earn a huge boon/favor from him, or give it one of the Kingdom's factions (to then give to the King or their own aged leader) and earn a favor from them, or just sell it to the market for a shitload of money.

It's also such a valuable item that to get back to the Kingdom on the home continent they either have to accompany the ship, or arrange for someone to guard the ship for them if they want to stay where they are and work on the current plotlines. Not to mention the fact that it was stolen from a Dragon's hoard, who'll be looking for it for sure.

So, it has its uses, I guess? I'm a fairly lazy, low-prep DM so I like systems that have a lot of random generation tables so I can make poo poo up on the fly.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I don't do it on the spot - I do it before the actual play session so that I can think about what comes up, try to make it fit if I can, throw it out if I can't. That Potion of Youth was the fourth potion to come up in a series of random loot rolls, and the party was assaulting a Goblin mine, so I decided that the Goblin boss they had to kill was an alchemist type of dude that was messing around with the smelted metal they were mining.

Another encounter came up with a Cloak of Elvenkind (allows wearer to move silently) as a drop, so I thought of a situation where the party was being stalked by a dude and had to smoke him out or entrap him. Since they were heading for a dragon's lair, then their stalker was a Dragonborn and the Cloak was refluffed appropriately.

Just rolling for things to pop out of the random tables is boring, yes; I consider it part of using the table to make them interesting as they yield results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Chris Perkins has reportedly said that they're planning to have electronic versions of the Next books, and also that "It is our intention to bring back the OGL", but no timelines yet on either.