Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Slashrat posted:

I just wanted to point out that in the world of Harry Potter, everyone with any kind of impact on the plot at all is a witch or wizard, or otherwise capable of performing magic, and muggles are only ever portrayed as clueless victims. It is caster supremacy taken to its logical conclusion.

I want to point out that magic in harry potter almost always creates problems and very rarely solves them and even when it does it doesn't do so directly. Harry is literally the jock of the wizarding world (he's even good at wizard sports)and solves almost all his problems trough physical prowess, luck and heart, never magical skill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Vorpal Cat posted:

Except when he wins magic duals using only low level counter spells, an obscure wand rules the DM villain forgot about.

That was pretty much all luck and heart not his vast knowledge of magical lore. Harry wins maybe 1 or 2 actual magical duels and usually only because he blindsides the dude he's fighting.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

ascendance posted:

To which I'm going to add, literally reshaping the world is what makes RPGs awesome.

This is true and it's why 4e didn't gate that ability behind spells which are only available to a few classes and instead required actual player creativity to do it.

EDIT: Also 4e doesn't have halflings that look like they are made of potato.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Malcolm posted:

If they could actually come up with a first-party online tool that made it possible to play Dungeons and Dragons online, with your friends, with all the minis and rules built in, I bet they would have a ton of subscribers at $5 a month. Maybe that's not MMO money, and I doubt Wizards could actually create the product in the first place, but I think that it would be drat popular and make a profit.

They already had an online tool that tons of people payed (and some still pay) for it isn't enough or hasbro says it doesn't count. They need to leverage their ip while this big nerd boom is going on but honestly i'm not sure how, my thoughts would be to court kids more. Hasbro has a tv channnel to advertise their poo poo and for better or worse they've had success revitalizing an old brand with a new cartoon before. Something like that could bring the D&D name out of the joke territory it resides in but then they would have to be comfortable selling D&D as a toy, a childs game. One that adults could enjoy as well but something still ultimately for kids.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Peas and Rice posted:

Is there some kind of formula for determining what the CR of a homebrew monster should be?

Basically, I'm trying to create a CR4 version of a Gargoyle (dread Gargoyle? Dire Gargoyle?) Current monster is CR2. What do I need to do to bump it to CR4?

E: :smith: \/\/\/

It's ok man don't worry nobody gives a poo poo about a formula.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

MonsterEnvy posted:

According to the rules of expeditions you can you can rebuild your character however you like up to level 4. Meaning if you got the Headband before level 5 you could just drop your Int down to 8 buff your other stats and use it to give yourself 19 int.

Wait, i'm all up for adjusting or rebuilding your character if they aren't suiting you but this right here is pure bullshit.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

It kinda kills the vibe in Dungeon World when you realize it doesn't largely matter what you're fighting or how you describe your action.

What are you smoking? that's almost the -Only- thing that matters in dungeon world.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
The only thing that ever interested me in Forgotten realms was the Spellplague and now that's gone.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
YOU THINK YOUR CHARACTER IS COOL? MY CHARACTER IS A loving
PROUD TIEFLING FIGHTER FROM THE GRAVE DIGGERS UNION WHO STUDIED INTERIOR DUNGEON DESIGN

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

P.d0t posted:

The problem here is that getting Sneak Attack from Advantage is way better than getting it from "the fighter is standing where I need him to" because Advantage also increases your odds of hitting and therefore doing damage.

And with stealth/surprise being sort of... hosed... It's Up To The DM™ if you can get Advantage that way. Otherwise -- you guessed it -- it's pretty much down to spells, like Faerie Fire.

Flanking has always made it easier to hit in earlier additions that used it and it was never a problem then. I know a +2 vs a +5 is a bit different but still.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

goatface posted:

and if left alone and untended they forget their orders and start murderous rampages as they revert to following the malign power that drives them

TBH this is pretty much how it goes at the factory where i work already.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
To me the answer sounds to me like If your players immersion is that fragile, you should just stop letting them look at the rules.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

mastershakeman posted:

That's assuming you're trying for balanced math, which honestly doesn't work if people make suboptimal choices on their characters like fighters with best number in charisma. If you have some sort of fixation on only playing good characters that can't be worse than the guy across the table's then fine, don't even let people choose their stats at all

And of course it can be frustrating to play a suboptimal guy but it's made up for with exceptional characters showing up now and then.
"Sub optimal" choices work much better when to-hit rolls are divorced from ability scores.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

ImpactVector posted:

This seems insane to me, because you're going to sell at most one copy of a campaign book to a group, whereas you could potentially sell multiple books to a group if they had player options in them.

Then again they'd have to come up with a lot more rules per setting if they wanted to have enough to make a player book be worth it. A few more spells and races like the EE stuff isn't going to cut it.

I assume they expect everyone to buy the campaign books for toilet reading.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Lets say you wanted to give the fighter a few spells as Extraordinary abilities to shore up the balance with spellcasters What and how many would you give?

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Dirk the Average posted:

I don't know that I'd give them spells, per se, but I'd give them fightery things, like various exploits performed by legendary mythical heroes.

The reason i said give them spells was that spells are already a foundational building block of the game. there's no real reason not to give them spells as innate abilities and flavor them as mythical exploits maybe with a point system instead of spell slots or per day uses to represent physical fatigue or somthing. basically i want to merge the monk and fighter and make it not poo poo the more i think about it.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

quote:

Hiding (p. 177). The DM decides when
circumstances are appropriate for hiding.
Also, the question isn’t whether a creature
can see you when you’re hiding. The question
is whether it can see you clearly.

Ok so i assume this just means that A.) If you can hide or not it's up to the DM and B.) Hiding is more about having your position be obscured than being out of sight. like if you're in a area of fog you should be (Dm's approval) able to make a stealth (or move silently or whatever) check to "hide" because your position is obscure even though you might not be completely blocked from line of sight.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
I think if i was making another heart breaker i would Attach 4e like powers to something like a mix Between 4e's weapon groups and Wulin's weapon system and let players pick one or two(at a slight gold cost) Weapon proficiancy and exotic weapons are dumb.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

mastershakeman posted:

So your characters are literally immortal?

You should try playing some games that aren't D&D like in Tenra Bansho Zero characters are literally immortal in game rules until the expressly decide not to be and they then get bonuses and poo poo for being willing to die.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Just LoL if you don't carry around your 3.5 books when you play 5e to patch up rule holes. (alternatively: It's up to the DM)

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
the big problem i see is that you cant even do a big nova round because you only get 5 points at level 5 also points only recover after a long rest I think that level points + wis would be better and maybe get back a number of points equal to your wisdom bonus after a short rest.

Edit: never mind a nova at level 5 you can only use one of your big powers a day and only if you didn't do poo poo at all in any other fight how many spells does a wizard have at level 5?

Elfgames fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jul 29, 2015

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Ok that's much better than I thought I read psi maximum as your max Psi points and didn't see the other column. Still would like some sort of regen other than Just a long rest, that's still only 5 big things and 2 small things.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

LightWarden posted:

A surprising number of 4e changes came out in various 3e products if you were seriously into reading everything WotC produced like I was. Reading through the 4e PHB wasn't much of a surprise for me.

Even if this wasn't true Almost every change between 4e and 3.5 was a logical progression i don't want to have 10 different editions to have 10 different changes.

What caused the bigest backlash was that they made the book readable. As someone who started ttrpg's with 3.5 with no experienced gm to teach me i had no loving clue how to play the game at all none of it was explained and i'm the only one of me and my 4 friends who still even has any passing interest in ttrpg's

Elfgames fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Aug 2, 2015

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Roadie posted:

I think part of the problem here is the implicit assumption by many D&Dites, probably encouraged by the use of Ex/Su/Sp to pigeonhole everything in 3.X, that anything that can't be done "realistically" (by the D&Dite incestuous sense of "realistic") can only be done by magic.

[Extraordinary abilities are nonmagical, though they may break the laws of physics. They are not something that just anyone can do or even learn to do without extensive training.] 3e had a framework in which fighters could gain non magical badassness it just wasn't used

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Psh you don't have to "identify" spells. the mage obviously screams out the name when they cast it.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

MonsterEnvy posted:

If he casts Power Word Kill from his wand. (Which is can do 3 times at most.) there is no save.

Wait what the gently caress? the big bad orc god is throwing out killing spells from a loving wand? Like why cant he loving litterally say a word of death and destruction? Does he stick his pinky out when waving his little fairy wand?

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
He would at least get laughed at for not having a real weapon.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
No it really loving isn't. he is a god why the gently caress is he channeling magic through a little stick? it might be scary if he started off like that and then halfway through the fight tossed it behind him and was like "hohoho playing with puny human death magic was fun now here's the real poo poo."

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
mh to be fair i would limit it to like 1 every 3 rounds and the round after he does nothing but laugh his rear end off

Edit: actually how does a wand cast power word kill anyway? does it have lips? is it some sentient celestial stickbug that orcus captured to do his bidding and he taught it some death magic? if so i'm pretty ok with that.

Elfgames fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Aug 31, 2015

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Actually magical implements just really aren't scary. tomes and staves can be cool but rods and wands are kinda lame.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

gtrmp posted:

Thor needs a belt and a set of gloves just to wield a hammer? But he's a god, he shouldn't need them - why, he shouldn't need a hammer at all!

Nah the belt and gloves make the hammer (a cool weapon) cooler, but orcus uses a twig and that's not cool unless it is a godly microphone then that's cool.

Tunicate posted:

What the gently caress, man. You're saying that if you kill a loving god you shouldn't have anything to loot.

I think you missed the entire point of DnD.

you should either get cool loot or just get awesome godly powers (probably spells :smith: in 5e) when you kill a god. not a little stick

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Or, don't do any of that and just beat'em with a sack of oranges. (or d20's if they're on hand)

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Mh i think that a unified pool of abilities is okay as long as nobody gets all of them and having class features to differentiate classes as well is actually quite interesting.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

fool_of_sound posted:

Some settings are like this, but the 3.5 and 5e DMGs both say that magic is fairly rare outside of big, powerful cities

I still think this is dumb all it takes to learn spells in D&D is an int of 11 or more you don't even have to be that drat smart. Everyone should know at least a couple spells for protection or their work.and everyone should definitely be able to use scrolls at the very least.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Skellybones posted:

That's 11 Int on a ~special person~ who has the midichlorians to do magic in the first place.

That means that unless stated otherwise, every character who can multiclass into a magical class but hasn't is effectively in an uncertain state where they both have and have not got the ability to learn magic.

D&D 5e posted:

Creating a wizard character demands a backstory
dominated by at least one extraordinary event. How
did your character first come into contact with magic?
How did you discover you had an aptitude for it? Do
you have a natural talent, or did you simply study
hard and practice incessantly? Did you encounter a
magical creature or an ancient tome that taught you the
basics of magic?

No all you have to do is have an int of 11 and be taught. Sorcerers are explicitly the class that has naturally high midichlorians.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

AlphaDog posted:

.I don't think being a shitfarmer is a great starting asumption for D&D as a whole, but there's nothing inherently wrong with the idea of zero-to-hero. I mean "Farmboy becomes hero" is practically the fantasy cliche.

While i agree somewhat i feel like a lot of the shitfarmer phase can be put in a characters backstory.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
They call this poo poo natural language but it's more loving arcane than the spells in the book.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

slydingdoor posted:

Oh that one's obvious. A spear (or javelin) is a melee weapon that can be thrown to make a ranged weapon attack without becoming an improvised, low damage attack that requires Tavern Brawler to gain the proficiency bonus to the attack roll. It doesn't work with Divine Smite (specifies melee weapon attacks) but does work with Improved Divine Smite (which swerves away from the dreaded term of art MWA with "your melee weapon strikes carry divine power with them. Whenever you hit a creature with a melee weapon, the creature takes 1d8 radiant damage.") which doesn't specify what kind of weapon attack qualifies.

How hard is it to just say your attacks deal an extra like D6 dammage that goes up to like d8 when you hit level 10 give it some sort of resource cost and boom who cares if you use a bow or throw a spear or whatever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
I don't get it all i wanted out of a new D&D was a simpler game than 4e that still had decent class balance (i don't even need balance as good as 4e just decent.) and for every class to have a few interesting things to do.

Edit:oh and rules that are readable because this poo poo is gibberish.