Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DerVerrater
Feb 19, 2013
WHATEVER HAPPENED ON DISCORD, I WAS NOT INVOLVED
Is it just me or are zombies in 5e vulnerable to mind control and other such effects?.

I had a brief look at the monster guide in the store today because my group wants me to run a WoW themed game in 5e so playable undead are a must and it seems by the rules of 5e they would be much less of a pain in the rear end to deal with than 3.5s immunity to everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerVerrater
Feb 19, 2013

Sage Genesis posted:

On the one hand, yes 5e zombies are vulnerable to mind control. To a certain extent. A spell like Dominate Person can't affect them but Dominate Monster can, as they are undead rather than humanoids. So there's some hidden immunities going on. That said, if you can affect them, it works pretty well.

On the other hand... if it's about playing Forsaken, why do you even care about how zombies work? They're more like Revenants - who ironically enough do have mental immunities. But that aside, why care about how a monster works? Make a custom PC race from scratch to emulate the Forsaken, it doesn't even matter what the Monster Manual says.

I had always considered them more as zombies hence why thats the section i swung to, I was glancing at it for some inspiration, i was hoping to avoid the nightmare that is dealing with a d12+cha caster immune to near everything again like they where in 3.5

DerVerrater
Feb 19, 2013
Fable had it down with might, guile and will if you ask me

DerVerrater
Feb 19, 2013
Sorcerers are I'm really mad and now your head is on fire.

Wizards are I'll beat you to death with 400 pages of the math textbook

DerVerrater
Feb 19, 2013

Hubis posted:

Multiclassing is an optional rule, and IMO bad in 5e for exactly the reasons cited (front-loading of abilities which scale with Character Level, for starters). Amusingly, consider this weirdness: you can take levels in disparate classes, but you cannot gain levels in sub-types of the same class (Battlemaster and Eldrich Knight, for example).

If I were to run a campaign, I'd say No Multiclassing, but aggressively add feats that mimic a weakened version of class traits.

Conversely I would say multiclassing being optional has been fantastic for me in dictating who I play with, I've found those that argue immensely for it to be part of the game usually are the ones I don't play with.

It's disturbingly common for me to see the argument 5e is too open to 'dm abuse' due to the 'power' they have, if your afraid of the dm being in control one must consider if why you rp with that person in the first place

DerVerrater
Feb 19, 2013
Why didnt you just cast comprehend languages, im sure there would be no issue with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerVerrater
Feb 19, 2013

ProfessorCirno posted:

Counterpoint: in my 13a game a player took the feat that let you understand literally any language, my next move was to put poo poo in other languages goddamn near everywhere that only they could read or understand, because that's the whole point.

Pretty much this, some times catering to that odd utility that only one player has every now and then can make them feel ultra satisfied. It doesnt have to be all the time but just every now and then can really make them happy. In my dragon age game the noble character and the dalish elf recieving help from two different groups made for a very happy party and some fun plot decisions.