Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Stormgale posted:

Take ranks in perform, become the necrodancer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Bulette encounters five skeletons, recognizes that its only hope is to beg for mercy

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

AlphaDog posted:

It's not just your mind, but 25 years of playing D&D has shown me that there are a hell of a lot of RPG players with no imagination whatsoever.

It seems like most of them hate actually playing a game and would rather just sit around reading the rule books by themselves. So clogging the books with bloated fluff, passages from godawful fantasy fiction, and tables to roll on for character traits & useless loot is a good business move.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Putting "Let your PCs try cool stuff" in your GM book only gets people to write 12,000-word manifestos about how you're a worthless gamist piece of poo poo who has literally raped the soul of roleplay forever.

You can mitigate this by stuffing your book with at least fifty pages of random Cool Stuff To Try tables. Then the manifestos will only be 8,000 words.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

So does this game actually have anything that 3e/Pathfinder/etc. etc. don't have? Apart from Unintended Skeleton Fiesta, I mean.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ocrumsprug posted:

I was concerned that I may be passive aggressively making a bad character, but there really isn't anyway to make a good fighter is there?

The good Fighters were renamed "War Clerics" and "Warlocks," just like the good Rogues were renamed "Bards."

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Aug 17, 2014

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Was it Chris Perkins who wrote an article about giving your villains character depth by having them eat babies?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

TKIY posted:

This is exactly my group. We played a few weeks of 4e and one of my players basically said that if he wanted to play Fire Emblem he'd bring his DS. We never gave it another shot, moved to Pathfinder and have been playing that for years.

They want to try 5e and a quick run of the first few encounters of the starter set lead to a lot of excitement. They love the FATE-style character traits, simple mechanic for Advantage, and the proficiency system. The character and feat previews have been well received too.

I need to ask: what do they like about having to select a pre-determined package for their character background, instead of just making it up in concert with the rest of the group? What do they like about having "add half your level" replaced with a series of arbitrary number tables?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The proficiency bonus system.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

OtspIII posted:

Character creation in general is just the worst part of RPGs when you're just getting into them. Before you get to start having fun you have to make this utterly ridiculous number of choices, none of which you have any frame of reference to understand the consequences of. I've been running a lot of Basic for people who had never played a RPG in their life in this last year and even that system is pretty painful to get people to interact with meaningfully/funly. I'm a big fan of anything that can make the process easier to digest/quicker/less fiddly.

If they're just trying the system out for the first time, don't make them build a character at all. Hand them some pregens and then let them decide what they want to play when they're more used to the game. Especially don't make them choose their character's life story from a drat list.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

If I'm playing a Bard, what's the best way for me to avoid completely overshadowing my friend who's playing an Eldritch Knight?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

It's all right everybody, you actually need two casters to ace the red dragon

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Oh good.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

branar posted:

I appreciate that this is a fixture of earlier editions - casters got flexibility and martials got...uh, well I'm not exactly sure what they got, but that's beside the point. The point is that my players come to D&D from 4E and they're used to everybody having interesting choices. Should I just tell them that they probably shouldn't play fighters, rogues, or rangers, or what?

That does seem like the simplest solution to me. A balanced party that's easy to build challenges for is either going to be all 9-level casters, or none.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ruckby posted:

This is 5e. If martial classes are contributing to encounters, you're playing the game wrong. There exists a clear consensus that casters trivialize every aspect of the game, so I'm not sure what you don't understand.

Since the fighters were able to get in the wizard's way and stop him from killing everything with Burning Hands, forcing him to decide the battle with Sleep instead, I am now convinced that balance is a non-issue and 5e is perfect.

Or it would be, if not for the awful boss lair mechanics that ruin my immersion and reveal 5e to be nothing but WoW on the tabletop.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

D&D NEXT: I still don't consider your problems an issue

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Jack the Lad posted:

Fighters were repeatedly nerfed during the playtest, and they were nerfed again in the PHB.

Look man, Fighters had the ability to swing a sword and miss their target, but still graze it for minor damage. That MMO bullshit could never happen in real life!

Now when is WOTC bringing back the Permanency spell already?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Glazius posted:

And, I mean, the Fighter doesn't need to be fed magic.

He does have to wear it instead of eating it, that's true.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Serdain posted:

I think that narrative power going to the wizard is only a big problem if you are paying with big babies who all want to hold the shiny toys at the same time.

5e's return to caster supremacy is solely a response to the big babies who threw tantrums about 4e not letting them hold all the shiny toys.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ruckby posted:

No, fans of YOUR favorite edition are the babies!!! This is literally a conversation people are having.

Does the act of conversation baffle you often?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

To which I say you are super lazy and stupid if you can't remember what fireball does.

It's almost as if Fireball works differently in every new D&D edition or something.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

8d6 damage 20 ft radius sphere. You have to look at in once in the new edition to know how it works.

It also spreads around corners, but how far?
You can cast with a higher-level spell slot to do extra d6s of damage. Do monsters get spell slots?
It ignites flammable materials in the area. What happens to them?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

TKIY posted:

Also your imagined Wizard is pretty amazing prescient to have all the useful spells exactly when they need them. If we have a Rogue handy, our Wizard won't prepare Knock, since another character has that utility covered.

Having to prepare every individual spell was deemed unfair to Wizards. They can use any slot on any spell they've prepared now.

quote:

Except melee damage output and resiliency between heals? A cleric healing himself isn't hurting anything else.

A Valor Bard, on the other hand, can fight and heal just fine.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

A good system does not have to be fought against. It does not require the GM to decide which monsters are stupid enough to believe the Fighter is a credible threat, or figure out how every encounter can have enough improvised weapons for the Fighter to get any sort of interest out of "I attack" ad infinitum.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

TKIY posted:

Our goal is to game not to win. Hard to put it any more precisely than that.

And the problem isn't that casters "win," it's that they get five times as much game as the sword-swingers and door-openers.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

TKIY posted:

the unique abilities and traits of the other characters in the party.

Good one.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

LightWarden posted:

Both conjuring food out of nowhere and turning other crap into food seem like it would have a few problems.

Create "Transmute Dook to Food" spell, keep it a secret, be crowned King of the World

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Lord of Bore posted:

Super secret leaked image :ssh:

What about Dungeon Master's Guido?

...actually forget I asked.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

moths posted:

What's up with so many players' groups forcing them to play/run Next?

My DM said he was burned out on trying to challenge the party in 4e. I wonder how he'll feel about trying to build an encounter that can challenge a Lore Bard without slaughtering an Eldritch Knight.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

dwarf74 posted:

So is there an "inebriated" condition anymore?

I have a drunk dwarf barbarian in the party.

Find all instances of "Rage" on their sheet, replace with "Shitfaced"

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Played a session of Hoard of the Dragon Queen today. So nice to be killing kobolds on the goddamn Sword Coast for the fiftieth time.

Our DM told us beforehand that 5e is more about roleplay, less about combat. In practice the fights were quicker, but also much more numerous than 4e, so the combat/RP balance was just the same only none of it was interesting. Combat was just as slow and bogged down in analysis paralysis as my group's worst 4e sessions, except instead of deciding what to actually do, the problem was how exactly to end the sentence "I attack with my X." Almost all of our 4e combats feel challenging and tense, at least at some point, but in this session they never did. I suppose they would have gotten hairy if we had kept going, since there's no decent healing anymore, but our host player said he had to call it because he's getting up early tomorrow. I think he might have just felt sorry for me. The highlight was when we decided a fight actually looked risky, so we dropped everybody with Sleep instead. "I cast" was much more immersive and verisimilitudinal than "I attack."

Is there an expanding .gif for :geno:?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

It's too bad maneuver dice are objectively inferior to the Bless spell.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

How much can you houserule a lovely system before it's better to just find another system?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The Intellect Devourer might seem like yet another "gently caress you fighters" at first, but it's actually the best support fighters will ever get: a tacit approval of houserules for multiple fighter archetypes. All you have to do is roll three different fighters, get them all brainscarfed by the same Devourer, and bam--all three archetypes in the same character!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

Rakshasa's Immune to all Wizards spells below 7th level.

Does it still die instantly to a crossbow bolt with Bless cast on it?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It was in the 2nd edition MM.

It's old, and also a stupid way to completely negate the Rakshasa's supposed strength against casters, so I figured even money it'd make it into 5e.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Unfortunately HBO only affected opportunity attacks, not charging or defender punishments. 4e Fighters can already stop enemies cold or grab them with Grappling Strike on OAs so :geno:

But that's why you leave the heavy blades for Paladins and Swordmages and use a pair of Spiked Shields instead.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ProfessorCirno posted:

Yeah, but if you're going sword and board (which was my favorite) then your mark punishment already pushes, so it's basically Tide of Iron anyways! :D

That comes from the board and not the sword, though, so Spiked Shields are still just as good for it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

The Rakashasa straight up has vulnerabilities to Piercing damage from Magic weapons used by good characters. The skeleton was already mentioned. So you are wrong here already. These may only be two monsters but I am decently sure that a few more of them have similar stuff.

The superiority of skeletons over fighters has been well established.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Grimpond posted:

forgot to include the picture

"HNYEH I ATTACK THE DARKNESS GUYS"

"jesus Todd give it a loving rest"