Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

dwarf74 posted:

* The Big 4 classes, one "archetypal" build of each - Simple Fighter, Simple Rogue, Healer Cleric, and Blasty Wizard, going up to Level 20

I'm not really sure how you would consider it the 'Blasty Wizard,' as they're getting a pretty big selection of spells to choose from.

I'm really hoping they've done something... anything to make the Rogue more effective than it is right now. Right now it's a markedly less effective Fighter whose biggest positive is their high DEX save.

Quadratic_Wizard posted:

Someone posted some higher level monster statblocks and it looks like solo enemies can just flat out NOPE and automatically pass a save X number of times.

It's worse than that. They have the option to retcon a failed save X times per day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Quadratic_Wizard posted:

Apparently rogues now have a faster sneak attack progression, with 2d6 at level 3 and 3d6 at level 5. With Cunning Action letting them hide constantly, it's not unreasonable to assume that they're not only sneak attacking each turn, but getting Advantage on most of those, and with how much of a godstat Dex is in 5e, they're pretty effective.

...except, they nerfed its out of combat abilities with fewer skills, smaller bonuses, and their ability to jump 10 feet longer and 5 feet higher is now "jump dex mod futher IF you get a running jump" while at the same time making a common magic item that triples the distance you can jump. Legendary thief with near superhuman agility? +4 feet. Put on some magic boots in the bargain bin? +20-40 feet. Oh, and rogues can't use medium armor anymore because reasons.
Hell, they actually made it worse! The problem with Rogues wasn't damage, it's that the only major bullet point of the class was 'DAMAGE.' It's also hampered that it HAS to be ranged damage, since the Rogue's HP progression is the same as the Wizard and the class lacks ways to get proper distance from anyone due to Breakaway requiring a full move that gets you one square away. edit: They actually fixed that, it now halves your move. Still, a Crossbow or Longbow (Elf) is better and safer than your pointy-stick options.

On top of all of that, Sneak Damage quickly necessitates Magic Weapons or just Magic to avoid the 'Resists Mundane Damage' modifier that becomes common past level 6.

If somebody wants to be a Thief, they take the Thieves Guild Initiate. If they want to be masochistic, they play the Rogue.

Father Wendigo fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jul 3, 2014

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Woden posted:

Doesn't rogue evasion halve damage from everything now? Maybe it was defensive roll or something, but I'm sure I read they had an ability like that at level 6 or so in the Dead in Thay play test.

This is true, they can cannibalize their Reaction to halve damage. It's still an issue due to their lackluster HP, though, and the encounter designs thus far indicate that there are usually swarms of enemies to contend with, but only one Reaction for the lot.

Read up on the Rogue in The New poo poo, some good and bad:

Good:
*d8 HD progression adds something for the class.
*Latter half of the general tree has some nice quality of life things built on the assumption the game is Dungeon Crawl exclusive.
*Evasion (Formerly Uncanny Dodge) is moved up a level

Bad:
*Sneak Attack now requires a Finesse Weapon when being used in Melee.
*You can't get Sneak Attack if you're at Disadvantage.
*Expertise is now gated to only starting with two skills.
*Thieve's Cant still takes 4 times as long to convey something as opposed to just saying it.
*Rogues are no longer proficient in Simple Ranged Weapons. It's Hand Crossbow or nothin', Chauncey.

One step forward, two steps back for Mr. Rogue.

Father Wendigo fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jul 3, 2014

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

whydirt posted:

Rogues are proficient with all Simple Weapons and can even start with a shortbow as a default piece of equipment.

Yeah, I misread Simple Weapons as Simple Melee Weapons. :shobon:

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

Their background gives them Proficiency in two categories already so they get another 2 skills to uses well. That sounds pretty good.

Reread it. They start out with Proficiency in 4 skills, and Expertise doubles their proficiency with 2 of those skills per tier. Expertise was previously a flat bonus to your choice of four out of the gate. I'll admit the changes to proficiency are nice, and can help cope with the fact that their better skills (Investigation, Perception, Persuasion) pull from the spectrum of Ability Scores that don't deal with DEX. That said, only getting two doubled until 6th puts more emphasis on the weaknesses of the early game.

Of course, this is all assuming that they're using the 'Flat Math' for skill DCs as well. Where are the guidelines for DCs?

MonsterEnvy posted:

You start with 4. 2 from background 2 from being a rouge then at level 6 you get another 2.

Quote/Edit mishap?

Father Wendigo fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jul 3, 2014

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Agent Boogeyman posted:

Okay, so looking at the ability score generation, is it just me or are they basically throwing a huge "gently caress you!" to anyone who doesn't want to leave their fate up to the dice and just do the sensible thing and generate through point buy? With 4d6, drop lowest, you can have a chance for some pretty swingy stats, but you also have a chance to start with ability scores of 16 or higher BEFORE racial mods. Point buy nets you with a baseline of 8's and nothing can be lower, but the highest you can pay up to is... 15? Really? So I could start with a 17 after racial mods OR probably start with much higher than that? Why are we STILL rolling randomly to generate ability scores when the entire reason it was there in the first place was to generate what class your character could qualify for way back in FIRST EDITION? WHY?
You're also required to roll for your starting coin if you don't take the package your class offers. If it's any consolation, I'm sure some middle-aged jagoff somewhere is happy.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Gort posted:

Trouble is, those spells do like 6 HP healing, which is fine at low level. Then later on you've got Heal which is 70 HP healing, and there's no "bonus action" equivalent version you could use to heal without an action, so the problem's just delayed until later on.

It's like they recognised a problem but didn't realise there were more than five levels in the game.

To be fair, that's still one of the lesser potential problems games past level 6-7 are going to have.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Crain posted:

Has there been any word on when the minis are being released?
'August 2014' is the most I've heard. Heroclix has had a good bit of screwing around with release dates, but that's partially because they're trying to work around managing store only events.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Rigged Death Trap posted:

At least that's a positive.
Throgue builds. Fluff it up with literally having daggers/throwing knives wherever there is space on your body. On holsters on torso and belt, around thigh, around calf, in boot, in cloak, in hood, hidden in cuffs and on wrist, on elbows, on upper back, on lower back.

The possibilities for a Throgue are endless. And the roleplay when being checked for weapons hilarious.
Suddenly, every failed DEX check to stay upright becomes a Save or Die.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Amethyst posted:

lol at it's total immunity to fighters

Nah, resistance is half damage.

It's still a contributor of the Cleric & Wizard power hour by damaging the 'Dump Stat' that only affects Fighters and anyone dumb enough to use weapons without Finesse, but this is counterbalanced by __________ .

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

ProfessorCirno posted:

We don't balance the game for magic items and assume you'll never need them!

*prints monsters that require magic items to kill*

Ah yes, the Vault of the Dracolich Flesh Golem. Gooooood times.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Hey Chumbo, here's some Fun Facts you failed to mention:

-Cleric made a goddamned joke out of combat encounters.

-Rogue, Fighter very capable of doing things like 'existing,' getting kills when the Cleric or Wizard were kind enough to let them take down the mortally wounded.

-No really, the Cleric straight up made a goddamned Goof out of the combat encounters, Turn Undead or no.

-Rogue in particular stood out as a very compelling class with features like 'extra Xd6 of damage,' 'succeed on skills that offer no gain besides flavor text,' and my personal favorite: 'having an archtype that could only use one-half of the three different the three different abilities it gets during the entire adventure.'

-Turn Invisible followed by Time Stop and Call Meteors is a legitimate strategy.

-Just read the thread, because you do not understand that Cleric was literally a walking apocalypse that could also heal.

-Having someone play by phone posting is a completely legitimate way to balance the Wizard; doing so almost puts them below the power level of a cleric.

-Turn Invisible followed by Time Stop and Call Meteors was not enough to even down the Cleric.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

kingcom posted:

Um.....are you making a troll post or are you serious, I can't tell anymore. He was not describing fighting a player. This was the game, the cleric comfortably sat there and ate the liches spells, and carried every encountered. I literally have no idea what you mean by glanced and never did any research. This is the game he played in.

This poster was that Cleric, by the way.

If you'd like the things we the players worked with, then here:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5x7sgceEOgiQ1k2YThFOUdlRDA&usp=sharing&tid=0B5x7sgceEOgiZ2stajFjZlkwRDA

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

dwarf74 posted:

This may sound weird coming from a dude who's not that into 5e, but this is seriously the most negative +thread I've ever seen on SA and I can't tell if I'm in TG or DDRD when I read it. :eng99:

Some of us still have a really foul taste left in out mouth from the playtests, and not much of what we've seen so far indicates it's going to be drastically changed. Since they're pulling the bullshit cheeky strategy of saying the product's entire lifespan is essentially a beta test (We're using build 0.1 according to Basic), we might as well pinpoint what breaks down and doesn't work.

Squeaky wheel gets the oil, right?

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

dwarf74 posted:

I know, but there's a whole loving "bitch about elf games but mostly 5e" thread in DDRD/Imp Zone. I think it's cool that people are legit interested in 5e, even if I'm not one of them, and holy poo poo a constructive thread like 4e and Pathfinder have (and keep in mind, Pathfinder is even more terrible than 5e) might not be too crazy.
Have you read the Pathfinder thread lately? It's been (1)laughing because even the Paizo forums think the new Arcanist class is broken and the overly defensive response by the Devs, (2) laughing because they're hyping the release of a book that promises fixes for the worst classes (and also Wizards because why not), and (3) arguing over how to make the game not implode too terribly for a few more levels beyond 6.

Maybe you're expecting plenty of hype because this is a new game, but it really isn't. We've been beta testing it for over two years now, and it's been about as underwhelming as (and drew a few similarities to) the Pathfinder 'playtest.' We're rolling pretty average right now.

Getting back to Next:

First, did anyone catch the Twitch livestream of 'Mines' earlier tonight?

Second, who's up for discussing what does and doesn't work in the final playtest packets while we wait for the PHB?

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

DalaranJ posted:

Hold on, what? This was a part of the game that I thought Next would surely improve over 3rd/4th. What took so long?
Starting gear, for one. Unless you go with the preset packages they offer, you can unwittingly eat a lot of time picking what feels right. This is complicated further if your rolled starting budget (there aren't rules present to not do that in the gear chapter, btw) isn't enough to get all of the things youwanted or needed.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

cbirdsong posted:

Well, what they need is to decide whether feats should be about combat or about non-combat. Otherwise, you're still going to be able to gimp yourself in combat by taking all non-combat feats while the other guy focuses solely on increasing his DPR. Conversely, that guy isn't going to have much to do during story-heavy sessions while you negotiate peace between goblins who speak three different languages. It sucks just as much for him.

You'd think they'd silo off the 'Flavor' Feats into a separate category to tie into their sleek new Background system, but that would take effort so v:haw:v.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

quote:

Why had Mearls consulted with Zak before replying to them? Why was it more important to re-assure Zak he was in the clear than respond to allegations of harassment? Mearls again replied, saying that he was not taking the accusations seriously because some of the people stating them where members of the Something Awful forums, which he claimed has a history of harassing Zak:

So that's why WotC suddenly dropped support for SA's Old School Adventure contest after the winner was announced.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Has anyone reviewed the Rogue's Archetypes yet?

One of the things that really stuck in my craw about the Dead in Thay playtest was that a third of the Assassin's presented abilities were useless depending on the type of campaign.

Poison Mastery posted:

By 6th level, you’ve learned to use a poisoner’s kit to create three special poisons. You must spend 1 hour to create a single dose of poison, which is a tasteless, odorless, colorless liquid. If another creature ingests a full dose of the poison, it must succeed on a Constitution saving throw (DC 10 + your Intelligence modifier) or suffer one of the following effects, based on the kind of poison you created.

• The creature falls unconscious for 2d6 + 4 hours. The creature regains consciousness if it takes damage.

• The creature is intoxicated for 24 hours. While the creature is intoxicated, its hit point maximum is also halved.

• The creature is affected as if by a confusion spell for 1 hour, but the effect is not magical.
The caveat of having to ingest it, the multitude of creatures that are poison immune past level 4, and the necessity of a high INT score to counteract the fact that most things not immune to poison have beefy CON scores makes this painfully situational.

Infiltration Expertise posted:

Starting at 9th level, you can create false identities for yourself. You must spend one week and 25 gp to establish the history, profession, and affiliations for an identity. However, you cannot establish an identity that already belongs to an existing person. Thereafter, if you adopt a new identity as a disguise, other creatures believe you to be that person until given a good reason not to.
This is a total loving joke, though. This is something you do by having a short 5-minute RP'ing sesssion with the Assassin. Casters get their first level 5 spells at level 9; meanwhile you, the Assassin, are learning to create a one-time use disposable alibi and maybe have a vehicle for a fraud-scheme at the cost of a full week of your loving time.

So when I read this:

treeboy posted:

I'll try giving it another shot, but first time I sat to read through it the overall "gently caress it whatever" tone kinda grated.
I gotta say you're reading exactly what we're getting out of it. That problem's on you and the system, not us.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Jack the Lad posted:

Monk stuff. How about that level 20 feature?

Perfect Self posted:

At 20th level, when you roll for initiative and have no ki points remaining, you regain 4 ki points.
I'm starting to think they're just screwing Martial-powered characters for no reason other than spite now.

Father Wendigo fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Aug 7, 2014

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Jack the Lad posted:

Here are a bunch more pages including the Rogue, Gnome, Half-Orc, Sailor, Charlatan and Gods.

Holy poo poo are those Rogue options terrible - except maybe the Caster Option, since :biotruths:. And they actually managed to make the Assassin even worse!

Stormgale posted:

I love the level 17 of the assassin, they make a save or take double damage from your attack?

Does this include sneak attack? IS this at all comparable to a level 17 wizard? (no)

Edit: Also can a fighter multiattack with charger? (as it's a bonus action single attack)
Death Strike procs WHEN A CREATURE IS SURPRISED. As in once the fight starts, you ain't got dick.

quote:

A band of adventurers sneaks up on a bandit camp, springing from the trees to attack them. A gelatinous cube glides down a dungeon passage, unnoticed by an orc patrol until the cube absorbs one of the group

In these situations, one side of the battle gained surprise over the other. One side acts while the other is caught off guard and unable to act for a critical moment.

Determining Surprise
The DM determines who might be surprised. Creatures that were unaware of their opponents' approach or presence are surprised. A creature can be surprised even if its allies aren't.

Effect of Surprise
A creature that is surprised cannot move or take actions until after it's first turn in battle.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

dwarf74 posted:

Hey guys, great news!!

I bet you missed 36d20 rats, didn't you? I bet you were kinda relieved and kinda disappointed it wasn't a thing to mock 5e for anymore. I know my feelings were mixed.

Well, it's back. For kobolds. :eng99: Now, it's 36d20 kobolds.

http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/hoard-dragon-queen

I can't believe you guys are ignoring this in favor of a rules argument.

I mean yeah, that's pretty much all D&D has going for it anymore, but still...

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

ritorix posted:

The best thing in that Hoard pdf is the 'swarm of rats' monster. Holy poo poo. I never thought it would happen.
You really have to admire the passive-aggression it took to let anger over criticism for a lovely module stew for 2 years before they release it again twofold behind a paywall.

And to think I never thought D&D would capture the essence of the Nerd-Game industry again. Boy is my face red! :suicide:

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

slydingdoor posted:

The point is double sneak attack is going to be a rare occurance without Commander's Strike because the enemy'd need to provoke an opp attack and fulfill the criteria for sneak attack, aka it'd have to provoke two opp attacks at once like a Bulette trying to spam its butt slam.
Sneak attack is specifically codified as 'Once a Turn.' Also, I'm pretty sure the enemy is no longer surprised once he's been pegged the first time, so I'm not really sure where you're going with this line of planning. Seebs, where are these threads where you found out 'Once Per Turn' means 'Once on each combatants turn?'

Also Rit, did anyone call them out on how horseshit Ghouls are? Did you tell them how great of a time you had running Dead in Thay? :allears:

Father Wendigo fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Aug 15, 2014

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Did the Alpha DMG have any indications for how to run a campaign without Magic Items? I'm genuinely curious as to how they're going to tackle that.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Jimmeeee posted:

I have a rules question about leveling up: do you add your CON modifier to your hit points every time you level? Or do you just roll the hit die and add that on top of your previous pool of hit points (which already includes your CON modifier)?

Add your CON modifier every level. If you up your modifier, you retroactively get those points added too.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

dwarf74 posted:

He claimed it was, later. I don't buy it, though.

You have to keep in mind that this was Jason Bulmahn, A.K.A. the guy who has admitted to nerfing the Monk and Gunslinger classes because '[They] don't belong in a fantasy world like Golarian as we (read: I) see it.'

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

MonsterEnvy, I know you've said you've got a disorder so you may not understand the hostility towards you. If this is the case, I genuinely feel for you. Lemme try to put this in a way that's easily digestible.

*Think about how many times you've stated a ruling, and someone has posted the passage in the book that proved you wrong - usually to the detriment of the player, more often than not a Fighter. Imagine if you were playing a fighter, and these issues just. kept. coming. up. like they have been in this thread. When the DM points out that these things don't work out like you thought, that isn't being a bully; they're following the rules as they are written in the $50 dollar book(s). But the conflict comes up so much that you and the DM are getting very frustrated with each other.

[The Conflict being you, MonsterEnvy, assuming the rules do what they're supposed to and allow your Fighter to be awesome {VS.} the actual rules printed in the book(s).]

What's more, these conflicts aren't just with Fighters, but with dozens of problems that litter the PHB like teeny caltrops waiting to derail an evening. What's more, it's happening again with the Monster Manual.

Imagine if you were a DM, and a player kept correcting you on rules. And their corrections were wrong - in fact, the opposite was true. How would you feel about that player? That's where we are now.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

ascendance posted:

Healing surges are one of the great innovations of D&D 4E that they really should have kept. It kind of makes sense to make healing spells heal a percentage of your health, so they always stay relevant.

That and making Healing, as a mechanic, being much more finite with very, very rare exceptions.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Verklemptomaniac posted:

This does not apply if the damage type is one that the monster has resistance or immunity to. Edited to add that last sentence

Thoughts?

Minor thing, but wouldn't this effectively make resistances into outright immunities?

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Have there been any interesting attempts to make the Assassin paragon path not so laughably awful? It was ridiculously disappointing and seems like it was written with the intention of being NPC class, and only for a really specific type of city-based campaign setting at that thanks to how laboriously the 'Costume' schtick works and how each disguise is effectively a one-time use chit. The capstone is just the possibility of a sudden sudden ejaculation of damage during the surprise round due to how the rules for 'Surprise' are worded. There's no finesse, no 'I've got your weakness in my back pocket,' it's just 'I splooge damage all over that guy.'

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

ascendance posted:

I think most people default to playing some other flavor of rogue, and saying they are an Assassin. Or possibly a shadow monk.

Neither of the other two Rogue paths really sells being a learned killer of beings great and small, though. What's shadow monk's schtick, and does it blend with crossbows?

Nihilarian posted:

Are paragon paths in DnDNext?

My apologies, it's a 'Roguish Archetype.'

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Just dusted this thread off after dropping off around page 210 or so, good to see some things never change. Since 200 pages is a tall order, would someone mind sharing:

1) Has anything interesting been done with Assassins yet? They were the most blatant trap class at the beginning, and I'm curious if they did anything to make it functional or just doubled down on screwing over people who don't know better.

2) When did Sean K. Reynolds get hired on to work for 5e? I found out about it in Grog.txt today and I'm genuinely curious as to when 5e actually [Power Word: Jump]'d the shark.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Strength of Many posted:

non-level one starting wealth??
It's not true D&D unless you start out a useless, thumb sucking poo poo-farmer. However, if you actually want to start with what passes for level 1 in most RPGs (like the one that MUST NEVER BE SPOKEN OF), then you should start at level 3 you loving casual.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Generic Octopus posted:

And then when they're dead, the Wizard can recycle their skeletons.

Good ol' Skeleton-backed economy. Next's one shining moment of unquestioned superiority.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

I'm at a loss for words describing the feeling I've got knowing that my Half-Orc Assassin is only getting worse with official ruling. I'm pretty sure the word I'm looking for is either Russian or German, though.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

It just hit me that a realm of Terracotta warriors waiting for some Badass Motherfucker to lead them to glory through combat is a thing that hasn't been written yet and that is a goddamned crime.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

ritorix posted:

Most of the heals in my group happen out of combat to top everyone off before the next fight. Combat heals tend to be either healing word, or prayer of healing if everyone gets AoE'd. Healing the barbarian also tends to be twice as efficient, since he takes half damage from everything.

Damage also drops relative to your total hit points at higher levels. At level 1 you will just go from full to 0 from a single hit, but that doesn't happen at level 5/6 where my group is. Monsters might hit for 10-20 damage, but you have 40ish hit points when full. Our barb has 50ish which is basically 100hp when raging.

Have you considered fusing the Assassin and the Cleric into a Celestial Bureaucrat of Life and Death to skip over the 'I can make a really good costume, guys!' goose egg? Maybe give the poor sap a little more to do?

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

alg posted:

Can't 5E Rogues deal sneak attack just when they have an ally within 5' of the enemy?

No.

They need Advantage to use their Sneak Attack ability. This usually means that they need to be hidden (which is now entirely up to your DM per errata), or provided assistance via the Help action (which is a standard action, meaning someone would burn their turn just to make you do the thing your class is supposed to do).
Scratch that.

mastershakeman posted:

What was the design philosophy behind 3e? It seems like that was really where things broke. I don't know a lot about the shift from 2->3. What seems even weirder is the popular books/settings primarily featured martial classes as the main characters, so I'd think that WOTC would've wanted to keep those at the forefront.
Here's the head man hisself:

Monte Cooke posted:

When we designed 3rd Edition D&D, people around Wizards of the Coast joked about the "lessons" we could learn from Magic: The Gathering, like making the rulebooks -- or the rules themselves -- collectible. ("Darn, I got another Cleave, I'm still looking for the ultra-rare Great Cleave.")

But, in fact, we did take some cues from Magic. For example, Magic uses templating to great effect, and now D&D does too. (To be clear, in this instance, I don't mean templates like "half-dragon," so much as I mean the templating categories such as "fire spells" and "cold-using creatures," then setting up rules for how they interact, so that ever contradictory rules for those things don't arise again, as they did in previous editions.)

Magic also has a concept of "Timmy cards." These are cards that look cool, but aren't actually that great in the game. The purpose of such cards is to reward people for really mastering the game, and making players feel smart when they've figured out that one card is better than the other. While D&D doesn't exactly do that, it is true that certain game choices are deliberately better than others.

Toughness, for example, has its uses, but in most cases it's not the best choice of feat. If you can use martial weapons, a longsword is better than many other one-handed weapons. And so on -- there are many other, far more intricate examples. (Arguably, this kind of thing has always existed in D&D. Mostly, we just made sure that we didn't design it away -- we wanted to reward mastery of the game.)

There's a third concept that we took from Magic-style rules design, though. Only with six years of hindsight do I call the concept "Ivory Tower Game Design." (Perhaps a bit of misnomer, but it's got a ring to it.) This is the approach we took in 3rd Edition: basically just laying out the rules without a lot of advice or help. This strategy relates tangentially to the second point above. The idea here is that the game just gives the rules, and players figure out the ins and outs for themselves -- players are rewarded for achieving mastery of the rules and making good choices rather than poor ones.

Perhaps as is obvious from the name I've coined for this rules writing style, I no longer think this is entirely a good idea. I was just reading a passage from a recent book, and I found it rather obtuse. But it wasn't the writer's fault. He was just following the lead the core books offered him. Nevertheless, the whole thing would have been much better if the writer had just broken through the barrier this kind of design sets up between designer and player and just told the reader what the heck he was talking about.

To continue to use the simplistic example above, the Toughness feat could have been written to make it clear that it was for 1st-level elf wizards (where it is likely to give them a 100 percent increase in hit points). It's also handy when you know you're playing a one-shot session with 1st-level characters, like at a convention (you sure don't want to take item creation feats in such an instance, for example).
Ivory Tower Game Design requires a two-step process on the part of the reader. You read the rule, and then you think about how it fits in with the rest of the game. There's a moment of understanding, and then a moment of comprehension. That's not a terrible thing, but neither is just providing the reader with both steps, at least some of the time.

While there's something to be said for just giving gamers the rules to do with as they please, there's just as much to be said for simply giving it to the reader straight in a more honest, conversational approach. Perhaps that's what the upcoming D&D for Dummies book will be. I hope so.

Of course, he deleted it after people called him out on his poo poo. Thankfully the Wayback Machine's always got your back!

Father Wendigo fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jun 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Kurieg posted:

I thought it was that they need to have advantage or have an ally that's also adjacent to the enemy. Which is why that swashbuckler archetype was basically "Permanent sneak attack damage"

Solid Jake posted:

Quoting the PHB,:

"You don’t need advantage on the attack roll if another enemy of the target is within 5 feet o f it, that enemy isn’t incapacitated, and you don’t have disadvantage on the attack roll."

That's what I get for using the first copy of Basic. :downs: I went ahead and [s]'d the post.