Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Shlomo Palestein posted:

The most baffling thing about the last decade and a half to me has been this whole "This is obviously not [THING], it's just [THE VERY DEFINITION OF THING]" legal tactic that somehow works 99% of the time.

"Honey, I wasn't cheating on you! I just stuck my dick in that waitress until I achieved coitus. Totally different thing. Don't you see how you overreact? Yes, this is somehow your fault now."

This isn't a bill of attainder, it's a broadly-worded law that just happens to narrowly favor several of my biggest campaign donors while narrowly harming some of the biggest donors to my opponents. It isn't bribery either. Quid pro quo requires actual British Pound Coins and I don't see any around here, do you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Ok, given that GDP sucks, exactly what were all those workers added in Q1 hired to do?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Kill Comcast.

http://bgr.com/2014/07/02/comcast-twc-merger-doj-emails/

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

I love an article that sources another article that's literally "comments on the internet show negativity towards [thing]".

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Shlomo Palestein posted:

The most baffling thing about the last decade and a half to me has been this whole "This is obviously not [THING], it's just [THE VERY DEFINITION OF THING]" legal tactic that somehow works 99% of the time.

To be fair it seems like the SCotUS hasn't been keen on blindly playing along with this, at least from their cell phone search ("It is just an administrative search!"), patent eligibility ("It isn't an abstract idea, we said it was on a computer!"), and Aereo ("It isn't a distribution service, we just rent antennas!") decisions. Of course the right wing will play along with it when it meets one of their policy goals so it isn't perfect.

In other news there are a lot more people in poverty now. The South in particular is a horror show:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

computer parts posted:

I love an article that sources another article that's literally "comments on the internet show negativity towards [thing]".

BGR is a legitimate source on the level of Kotaku, you should have more respect for tech's Valley Swag.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

None the less :lol: at the idea of requiring sources to find just cause in destroying Comcast as a business and summarily executing all of their executives.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Pope Guilty posted:

Can't mercenaries pretty much just be killed if they're caught on a battlefield?

Yes. http://i.imgur.com/m5jAr0Q.jpg :nws::nms:

Most countries have laws making mercenaries illegal. Russia has a law that makes it illegal, yet there are about 30 Russians sitting in a prison in Libya because they went to Libya to fight for Qaddafi. The Russian government says these men weren't sent by them but the Libyan authorities insist otherwise.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jul 3, 2014

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

That was a good week for the Democratic Party, I still remember the scuttlebutt and how owned Republicans were going to be by 2006.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Shifty Pony posted:

In other news there are a lot more people in poverty now. The South in particular is a horror show:

There's also a county breakdown, though looking at the actual article the biggest changes in poverty also include Indiana, Oregon, Michigan and Nevada whereas in Louisiana and West Virginia poverty rates went down.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Shifty Pony posted:

To be fair it seems like the SCotUS hasn't been keen on blindly playing along with this, at least from their cell phone search ("It is just an administrative search!"), patent eligibility ("It isn't an abstract idea, we said it was on a computer!"), and Aereo ("It isn't a distribution service, we just rent antennas!") decisions. Of course the right wing will play along with it when it meets one of their policy goals so it isn't perfect.

Those drat democrats, making the most republican States the poorest states. And they keep electing republicans so you know it isn't the Republicans fault, why would they make their own state poor?

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
I'd keep the OP to just developments that happened in the previous month. Just my opinion though

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Yes. http://i.imgur.com/m5jAr0Q.jpg :nws::nms:

Most countries have laws making mercenaries illegal. Russia has a law that makes it illegal, yet there are about 30 Russians sitting in a prison in Libya because they went to Libya to fight for Qaddafi. The Russian government says these men weren't sent by them but the Libyan authorities insist otherwise.

Well in that case the dead mercs were pretty much treated like regular forces (in that the regular forces carried out reprisal by killing thousands in Fallujah).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

greatn posted:

Those drat democrats, making the most republican States the poorest states. And they keep electing republicans so you know it isn't the Republicans fault, why would they make their own state poor?

The poorest areas are minority concentrated counties. :ssh:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

greatn posted:

The south has gotten absolutely hosed by the exit of semi-skilled industries and aquaculture to (South) Asia, supply chains and trade agreements allowing agriculture to move to California/Mexico/South-America, and trade agreements allowing lumber to move to Canada/South-America.

Of course the chronically underfunded pubic education system (in large part to keep minorities in poverty) screws the region as well for any modern industry that might want to move in. From all accounts that I have read the Boeing plant in SC has been a complete disaster, although the BMW assembly seems to be doing OK due to extensive partnerships with the regional education system.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Jarmak posted:

You guys seems to not really understand how PMCs are utilized at all, they aren't mercs that are sent out to do the job soldiers are. The most offensive operations they ever did was acting as body guards for VIPs working for/with the state department (what blackwater was doing when it caused all its trouble).

You mean if you ignore everything run through intelligence services, right? I was under the impression they relied heavily on contractors for staffing.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

You mean if you ignore everything run through intelligence services, right? I was under the impression they relied heavily on contractors for staffing.

Based on what? And staffing for what?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Also, the breakdown of poverty by racial group (and state) is rather interesting:

http://www.census.gov/prod/2013pubs/acsbr11-17.pdf

Compare with:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Bad news for Paul Ryan: his P90X sessions are losing members to Markwayne Mullin's (R-OK) crossfit group.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
I note that nearly every state has higher black poverty than the worst state's white poverty.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I would toss in the Hispanic map as well:

When visiting home in SC I notice that to a large extent "loving lazy blacks" racism has been replaced with "goddamn illegal Mexicans" racism. SC's position in the GOP presidential primary calendar pretty much guarantees there's no way in hell a GOP candidate will support immigration reform.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
There's a great book called The Box, about containerized shipping, that tangentially shows the beginning of the modern PMC.
Basically, Vietnam's ports were utter crap and everything was a logistics disaster, and Sea-Land said 'Yeah, we can do this for you for insanely low rates.'

And it worked really well.

So the Military went 'hm. Well. Instead of wasting our troops on this, because they half-rear end it anyhow, what other functions of the army can we privatize and improve?'

And that worked pretty okay, too.

For a while.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I also just realized that the original map was measuring people who are in a poverty area, not who are in poverty. Poverty areas are regions where at least 20% of people live in poverty.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I can't get over those human scum blocking the buses full of 8 year olds and chanting USA. It's like a scene from a horror movie.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
At least they weren't tarring and feathering priests again.

quote:

Nativism became a new American rage: Know-Nothing candy, Know-nothing tea, and Know-Nothing toothpicks appeared. Stagecoaches were dubbed "The Know-Nothing". In Trescott, Maine, a shipowner dubbed his new 700-ton freighter, Know-Nothing.[17] The party was occasionally referred to contemporaneously in the slightly pejorative shortening, "Knism".

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice
Speaking of nativism, FOX rips off the Bioshock Infinite logo for a "Defending the Homeland" piece. Irony abounds.

http://www.avclub.com/article/fox-news-rips-bioshock-infinite-logo-irony-ensues-206519?utm_source=digg&utm_medium=email

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

mcmagic posted:

I can't get over those human scum blocking the buses full of 8 year olds and chanting USA. It's like a scene from a horror movie.

It seems like if you remove international sporting events from the equation, when you hear a USA chant there's a 95% chance those chanting are doing something repugnant.

quote:

Nativism became a new American rage: Know-Nothing candy, Know-nothing tea, and Know-Nothing toothpicks appeared. Stagecoaches were dubbed "The Know-Nothing". In Trescott, Maine, a shipowner dubbed his new 700-ton freighter, Know-Nothing.[17] The party was occasionally referred to contemporaneously in the slightly pejorative shortening, "Knism".

Truly there is nothing new under the sun. Does this mean we can take comfort in knowing the current crop of patriots will be relegated to questions about historic foot note parties on AP US History exams?

Gyges fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jul 3, 2014

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

ReidRansom posted:

Aside from blatant defense contract grifting, I've never quite understood it either. You can do the job cheaper per head with uniformed military and you get (theoretically) better accountability and versatility as a bonus. I mean, maybe we legit don't have the numbers and doing it properly would have required a draft which no one would have supported. But we've scaled back our overseas adventures and still continue to use them, so I don't loving know.
I think it's as simple as not wanting a draft and low retention rates. Combine that with the cost of new troops (and they're expensive. I spent roughly my first year doing nothing but training) and I think the picture becomes a little clearer.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Gyges posted:

Truly there is nothing new under the sun. Does this mean we can take comfort in knowing the current crop of patriots will be relegated to questions about historic foot note parties on AP US History exams?

Yes. Short of a literal military coup (this won't happen) their influence has already peaked and there's no momentum for their policies any longer.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

computer parts posted:

Yes. Short of a literal military coup (this won't happen) their influence has already peaked and there's no momentum for their policies any longer.

They have a bulwark against any board progressive policy agenda though.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Jarmak posted:

Based on what? And staffing for what?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/20/us/20intel.html
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=112064709
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2012/07/the-terrifying-background-of-the-man-who-ran-a-cia-assassination-unit/259856/
http://articles.latimes.com/2009/aug/21/nation/na-cia-blackwater21

Is this a solid enough example for you? How is this not mercenaries being sent out on offensive operations, which you categorically claimed was something that did not happen?

Jarmak posted:

The most offensive operations they ever did was acting as body guards for VIPs working for/with the state department.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jul 3, 2014

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Mayor Dave posted:

Happy Fourth to everyone, and may I post a link that proves that sometimes good things happen despite everything being utter poo poo?

The Day We Set the Colorado River Free:

TL;DR - America and Mexico agree to try ecological restoration by allowing the Colorado to flow once more.

And Phoenix might finally get its water supply cut off so it can become the Desertroit it so richly deserves to be :allears:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
This is good news for John McCain!

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Munkeymon posted:

And Phoenix might finally get its water supply cut off so it can become the Desertroit it so richly deserves to be :allears:

It is a monument to man's arrogance. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PYt0SDnrBE

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Munkeymon posted:

Phoenix is a huge problem, but I would say the two larger ones for the colorado river are Vegas and especially southern CA. Just one more reason I'm glad I'll be moving out of CA in two years after my wife finishes her MBA.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Blackwater and certain PMCs basically became Cheney's off the books secret intel group. They did what he wanted that if he used regular soldiers would be a problem. I think a lot of this was about circumventing oversight since Blackwater is not a part of the government. We still hire PMCs to do anti-terror stuff in coordination with the CIA and SOCOM since a lot of former operatives work for PMCs now since they pay better.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

My Imaginary GF posted:

However, with the court reaffirming Johnson's executive power, Nixon came into office with an honest mindset. He was correct: When the President does something, that makes it legal. Otherwise, how can one justify the legalities of Bush II's administration? Hell, just last afternoon it was leaked that we've had 120 combat troops deployed in Somalia since 2007, without direct public Congressional authorization. Wiretaps, surveillance, drones: they're legal under the authority of the Executive Branch. You can kill an American citizen convicted in trial by absentia, so long as they aren't (yet, may get interesting cases in the future/Syrian issue tangent) on American soil.

What makes you think that congress has the authority to micromanage the Commander in Chief? Unless those 120 are going to war with Somalia their authority begins and ends with funding.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Russia is trying to make it legal for PMCs to incorporate and operate.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Swan Oat posted:

Russia is trying to make it legal for PMCs to incorporate and operate.

Probably to make it logistically easier for Putin to run his "Totally not Russian troops!" invasions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

Bad news for Paul Ryan: his P90X sessions are losing members to Markwayne Mullin's (R-OK) crossfit group.

Who will then lose members to the physical therapy group when every hurts themselves doing cross fit.

• Locked thread