Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Got it in one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

On Terra Firma posted:

So given the most recent ruling about free speech zones at planned parenthood and what not, is that going to have any impact on where people can kick and scream at the convention? I mean doesn't it basically do away with those goofy free speech zones they had in the past?

Lots of "free speech zones" are illegal, it's just that no one challenges them.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

zoux posted:

Got it in one.

"Not a sitting politician" is a dead giveaway :v:

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

zoux posted:

Guess who:

"It's time to impeach; and on behalf of American workers and legal immigrants of all backgrounds, we should vehemently oppose any politician on the left or right who would hesitate in voting for articles of impeachment."

Not a sitting politican, writing for Breitbart.

It being posted twice already helped :v:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sorry I was off yesterday so I skipped the 400 posts that I assumed were an Amergin derail.

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

zoux posted:

Reminder that as many people blame the inept Katrina response on Obama as on GW Bush so people really don't know what the gently caress.

From the look of the Secret Service Agent, the guy was definitely lucky not to get beaten like a dead horse.

Shifty Pony posted:

I don't think it is a job-creator worship thing as much as that they don't like the idea of having to get "permission" from the government to hire someone and also think that E-verify is a step towards the real solution to making sure someone is authorized to be in the US which would be a national photo ID card and centralized database of some sort to confirm the ID card belongs to the person applying, which means biometrics. Can you imagine the freakout if the US government started collecting vein maps of everyone?

It is a lovely idea, but there is a catch as usual. What happens when you have a citizen who has the same name as a illegal immigrant? We have a track record of deporting US citizens on the basis of mistaken identity, so I imagine full implementation of E-Verify to be a full clusterfuck.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

Lots of "free speech zones" are illegal, it's just that no one challenges them.

There's little point in challenging. A year in court, nominal damages at best, and you won't get a positive change in the law till the Supreme Court changes.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Dante Logos posted:

From the look of the Secret Service Agent, the guy was definitely lucky not to get beaten like a dead horse.

It is a lovely idea, but there is a catch as usual. What happens when you have a citizen who has the same name as a illegal immigrant? We have a track record of deporting US citizens on the basis of mistaken identity, so I imagine full implementation of E-Verify to be a full clusterfuck.

This. E-verify has something like a 3% false positive rate (from recollection - it was low single digit, but forget exactly what.) no big deal, right? Except that that means that for every 150k new hires (an average month lately) you're looking at almost 5000 people being erroneously denied a job. The false negative rate is pretty high too, if I remember right, but that's a lesser problem.

E verify is a terrible system.

E: http://www.immigrationpolicy.org/just-facts/deciphering-numbers-e-verifys-accuracy has numbers (note that they use false positive and false negative in the opposite way I just did - false positive to them means false confirmation of eligibility.)

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Paul MaudDib posted:

No, they're far past the abstract observation of "gee we don't have enough resources to handle this". They're explicitly saying "the process is much too long".

You're right that they're not rushing any individual specifically, they're just trying to shorten the process to make it faster to do deportations for all the individuals. Much better, right?

If it were a GOP administration presiding over this kind of stuff, I doubt you'd be leaping to defend it. For all the moral arguments they make on immigration, when push comes to shove the Obama administration is about more deportations, faster, with less process.

"Government bureaucracy should do its job faster" is possibly the least controversial opinion that exists and I share it so long as the quality of the service isn't compromised in the process. I don't care who's making the process faster, I care about the intended outcome because that's what matters long-term.

E: also https://www.join.gop/search-results?search=jointhelemonparty&t=1404919351 :getin:

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jul 9, 2014

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

zoux posted:

The GOP gets off on getting called racist. They get to climb up on their moral high horse and accuse Dems of playing "the RACE CARD" and then the narrative switches to "is it racism" and liberals get called overly sensitive and so on.

Because you can't prove someone is racist. We know that they are racist, they know they are racist, but they have plausible deniability in the name of national security and economic reasons, so unless you have a secret tape of them saying "muhahahah we're doing this because we hate Mexicans ahahah" (and probably not even then) race is never a winning issue in the contemporary political climate.

I mean, Donald Sterling was on tape basically saying "I hate black people", still denied he was racist, and a good number of people believe him, or don't think what he did was racist.

I don't have a link to it now, but I remember a column laying out a pretty convincing case that in terms of how it is treated racist is to white people what the n word is the black people

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
https://www.join.gop/search-results?search=keyboard&t=1404922768

There's no way...

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Paul MaudDib posted:

It was a combination of two things. First, the total economic collapse absolutely crated demand for energy for a couple months there. Second, there was a Koch-funded initiative where they had one specific gas station give 50 motorists subsidized gas on the day of inauguration so Republicans could use that as the low-end figure in their chart.

Damned if I can find a supporting article at this point, though.

e: I may be mixing this up with a promotion in Bangor in 2012.

Sounds like a 2012 thing, gas actually went down quite a bit at the end of 2008 and Obama had already won at that point anyway and they were certainly trying to claim it was his fault it had gone back up since he was elected.

edit

Beamed posted:

It being posted twice already helped :v:

That's nothing, the rolling coal articles have been posted like a dozen times in the past week.

https://www.join.gop/search-results?search=allyourbasebelongtous&t=1404924204 :lol:

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 9, 2014

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
Might be a bit late to the .gop chat, but these two are still available.

e: and one more.

And treasonous.gop is also available.

Last one I swear, but as an alternative to jimcrow.gop I remembered an actual jim crow era sign that my grandfather actually had.

:getin:

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 9, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Did anyone post the article about how Sam Brownback's tax cuts destroyed the Kansas economy yet?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
How time flies ...

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sir Tonk posted:

I know, right!

Unless....

There was a fairly common GOP image macro going around during the 2012 election that showed gas at $1.84 when Obama was inaugurated. Kinda fell flat with most people, since it was still lower than in 2008 even after it went back up and the drop was during winter when people weren't driving as much.

Found it:

The funny thing is how when Bush was elected, gas was 85 cents a gallon where I lived, but I don't remember anyone bringing that up when the Bush years quickly doubled that.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Nintendo Kid posted:

The funny thing is how when Bush was elected, gas was 85 cents a gallon where I lived, but I don't remember anyone bringing that up when the Bush years quickly doubled that.

Sorry, not true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQb_4hXLx2Q

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe

A Winner is Jew posted:

Might be a bit late to the .gop chat, but these two are still available.
crooks.gop is $250

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

and

I'll give their web team credit. At least they used bootstrap and made it have a responsive UI. That being said, they did not catch everything. Remember those unavailable domains above? Well, that domain you searched for is saved as a hidden field on the page. If you find one that's okay, and you submit the form, it passes that hidden field to the cart.

Let's change that hidden field.

Hey GOP, it's called Server side validation.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Video of the entire GOP after someone emails them a Slate article about the future of politics:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSNV9gDfJj4&t=15s

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Whee

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Drastic Actions posted:

and

I'll give their web team credit. At least they used bootstrap and made it have a responsive UI. That being said, they did not catch everything. Remember those unavailable domains above? Well, that domain you searched for is saved as a hidden field on the page. If you find one that's okay, and you submit the form, it passes that hidden field to the cart.

Man if you're going to do this, why not change the prices to $0.47?

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Man if you're going to do this, why not change the prices to $0.47?

They do validate that field. It goes to the lowest price, which as far as I know is $20.16. So in the end, the GOP only cares about money.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp

Jesus Christ.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Heavy neutrino posted:

Er, how can this conceivably be legal? Even if somehow you can't be hit with reckless endangerment or some sort of road violation for blowing thick black smoke at cyclists on the road that obscures their vision, couldn't you get your balls sued off in civil court for deliberately blowing a known carcinogen at their faces?

Look at this whiny liberal talkin' bout laws 'n poo poo. Trying to use the gubmint to go after Real Americans and their Freedoms. :patriot:

Shifty Pony posted:

Prove they did it. That's the problem.

Fortunately more cyclists are riding with cameras and newer models more like dashcams than gopros are coming out which make it even easier.

If only most modern phones could record video or had built in cameras. :sigh:

ayn rand hand job posted:

Greenwald has shocking expose today, revealing that the US monitors some Muslim Americans with ties to the Middle East.

https://firstlook.org/theintercept/article/2014/07/09/under-surveillance/

We've already known this though? I mean the NYPD in all of it's poo poo-stained glory had/has monitored its muslim population because terrorists and due to Bloomberg and Ray Kelly being racist human garbage. Though I don't believe they were watching emails, just mainly phone activity.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Evil Fluffy posted:

If only most modern phones could record video or had built in cameras. :sigh:

Using a phone while riding a bicycle in traffic is an amazingly bad idea, and even if you do risk it the guy has probably had his laugh and driven away by the time you start recording. You need an always-on system like those Russian dashcams.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

haveblue posted:

Using a phone while riding a bicycle in traffic is an amazingly bad idea, and even if you do risk it the guy has probably had his laugh and driven away by the time you start recording. You need an always-on system like those Russian dashcams.

There's always Google Glass :v:

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx
Pages late but this post gave me the heartiest laugh in a hallway full of people on break from jury selection for a fairly heinous crime. Oops.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

haveblue posted:

Fortunately such things are being made for cyclists now. They are in the design process of a forward facing camera as well which I will buy as soon as it is released.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I bought a dashcam and it came with a bike mount. I'm usually just too lazy to take it out of my car and clip it on, though.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

mcmagic posted:

Turning people out to vote against outwardly racist shitbags isn't really jingoism. It's progress.

Yes, that's the dichotomy in the point I was making. It's good that it gets at least the Exec. Order fluffer job, but the jingoism is in the behind-closed-doors stuff like increased deportations, which is hypocritical because the only reason they are behind those doors doing those things is that they spent months saying they would never do that, and bludgeoning their opponent for being against reform.

So yeah, double edged sword. The jingoism is the increased deportations, not the campaign issue of immigration reform or the usage of EO to actually make progress.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Drastic Actions posted:

and

Whoa.

Will it actually let you buy them though, I wonder.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

nm

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

But this one didn't require any fuckery

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

ReidRansom posted:

Whoa.

Will it actually let you buy them though, I wonder.

Checking with fiddler, it is actually passing that that field to the cart, so it would probably process. Not sure if I want to check though...

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Drastic Actions posted:

Checking with fiddler, it is actually passing that that field to the cart, so it would probably process. Not sure if I want to check though...

Yeah, personally I'd rather keep my :20bux:, but if there's comedy to be had, it'd probably better had quick because I'm sure some party pooper lurking this thread will pass it along eventually.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Now is the time to buy, before they fix that poo poo.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Doesn't the GOP have full control over the names as per some deal with ICANN? I imagine exploiting flaws in their website would let them just revoke the name you buy and at whatever price it's listed for.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Even if you buy it now they can probably just cancel it because of TOU agreements or something. Plus if it anything that ICANN blocked it definitely won't last because those are usually copyright concerns.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Doesn't the GOP have full control over the names as per some deal with ICANN? I imagine exploiting flaws in their website would let them just revoke the name you buy and at whatever price it's listed for.

Exactly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Even if you buy it now they can probably just cancel it because of TOU agreements or something. Plus if it anything that ICANN blocked it definitely won't last because those are usually copyright concerns.

Oh yeah, no one should probably buy any of those domains (Giving any money to the GOP... ugh, no), I'm just saying that the order would go through with that domain.
I just thought it was funny that I could work around their filters like that.

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 9, 2014

• Locked thread