Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ufarn
May 30, 2009
How time flies ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Now is the time to buy, before they fix that poo poo.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I swear to our atheist god, if you Americans ruin the nice weather for us European by blowing up half your country after exposing the Yellowstone volcano, I'm gonna be hella pissed.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

mdemone posted:

Every time Yellowstone comes up in conversation I just have this incredible urge to stop thinking about it. I think it's my lizard brain activating the self-preservation mechanism; terror management theory and all that.
The Cascadia earthquake or a Yellowstone eruption, which will gently caress over North America first, pull up your lawn chairs, Europe!

ufarn
May 30, 2009

cheerfullydrab posted:

You all don't seem to be aware that, currently, the major conservative idea for securing the border is that all we have to do is use the armed forces to form a human chain from the Pacific to the Gulf Coast and physically push people back who try to cross. Like the people at the periphery of a mosh pit.
There is however one maverick who favoured putting up a danged fence.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
For the love of Sagan, don't remind them. You might just give them ideas.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

cheerfullydrab posted:

I'm pretty sure the fence idea is falling out of fashion. At least, a fence that's not made out of troops or police officers or some other people.
Think bigger:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO-q5lI7618

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Fried Chicken posted:

Andrew Cuomo's office hobbled ethics investigations - you'll never believe how!

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/23/n...ory-continues-1

Practicing my click hole post writing up in here
The first time I saw that article, I thought "hey, that's pretty bad" and scrolled down more - to find like fifty-gajillion more words with revelations on Cuomo. :stare:

Of course, the NYT bury the lede as usual, so 2% of readers will probably learn about the truth.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Probably could have the recall with a decent candidate. :smith:

ufarn
May 30, 2009

ErIog posted:

Ezra Klein is like the most punditty pundit to ever pundit, and Paul Ryan constantly shits out these awful policy papers that provide opportunities for punditry. It's a match made in heaven. I'm not sure he thinks Paul Ryan is the greatest or anything, but he has this starry-eyed naive belief that, by god, both sides are saying the same thing so if they could just talk to each other then maybe that's a thing we could actually do!

Ezra Klein might actually be a robot. He can't seem to understand the motivations behind stuff like this, and so he just takes the entire thing at face value. I wonder if he voted for Romney out of solidarity.

GOP doesn't give a gently caress about helping anyone who isn't registered in Delaware or rich enough to own something registered in Delaware. They have even demonstrated they don't even give a gently caress about actually helping veterans in any tangible way. So even if Paul Ryan's stupid policy paper were in some way an improvement over the current system in terms of helping poor people, there's no way he can put together the votes to pass it. He's just masturbating into the w
So you're saying he's pretty much the journalistic CBO for BS.

Sounds about right.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Joementum posted:

Lucy Coffey, 108, the oldest woman veteran visited D.C. today.

Did she sit on his lap?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Game of Thrones has based its most famous scenes on actual events, so. Gurm also gets to wrap it nicely together and add dragons, so.

Dude likes his Middle-Age English history.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Do we know how big a business Ron Paul's online gimmick is?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Oh dear.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Radish posted:

Didn't Carter also really get the deregulation train rolling before Reagan?
He kickstarted a lot of neoliberalism, and wasn't exactly a friend to the unions, yeah.

Lots of good comments in the link as well.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jul 29, 2014

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Rand Paul has supported some legit-good bills recently on things like justice/sentencing and prison reform, and I'll definitely give him that.

Booker has probably made some of the most insane pro-Israel remarks of any prominant politician I can remember.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
You can't really be a Libertarian and not be against today's drug laws. It's like in the top two for Libertarian causes.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
And no one in the press corp found it germane to ask Obama about that whole CIA spy-y and lie-y business.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Joementum posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate Disco > US Politics August - We tortured some folks
Kind of amazing he says something like that, when people at the presser are bored out of their skulls and just starving for the tiniest morsel to pounce on.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Aren't forums somewhat down in activity since the 90s?

Of course, fandom poo poo is still alive and kicking, but general chat.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Nintendo Kid posted:

That'd be hard, as forums only really got going in mass use in the 2000s.
Derp, I meant the 00s. Good thing I started posting early 2002. I'm sure I never wrote anything stupid about that whole thing.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

VikingofRock posted:

I'd say that unless you've literally posted "My name is [whatever]", you can probably go with the standard politician strategy of "deny everything" and be alright. At worst it'll be a minor thing that no one really cares about, like George W. Bush's cocaine binges.
Snowden's user on Ars was discovered, and people on SA have been doxxed before, so a little paranoia is always appropriate.

I think the most controversial things I've said on SA are my thought on certain movies and directors/screenwriters, so I think I'll manage.

Stuff you wrote in college papers are always on the top of the list for most journos anyway.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Fried Chicken posted:

He's been the figure for gun control for 30 years, how much worse can it get?
Larry Speakes.

Do not question the Reagan Administration, when it comes to this.

For everything bad that's happened the past thirty years, there's a member of the administration with a poo poo-eating grin.

But I guess it'll be interesting to see how the Saint Reagan crowd will take the criticism.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Fried Chicken posted:

Wait, you are blaming Brady for what his replacement did? Seriously?

Wow, zoux was right.
Sure, if you read my post the wrong way.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
The reason you nominate Obama is that it'll up free up at least four Conservative seats.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

zoux posted:

Can you imagine what the GOP would've done if 9/11 happened during Obama's term? Everyone basically gave the Bush administration a complete pass for 9/11. I'm not saying that we should go after Bush for 9/11, but if he ain't culpable then Obama sure as poo poo ain't culpable for Benghazi.
lolwut

"Why the 'Death Panel' Myth Wouldn't Die: Misinformation in the Health Care Reform Debate"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I think the real question here is: When will the moderators lead?

• Locked thread