Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
In addition to castrating hogs, GOP senate candidate Joni Ernst enjoys nullifying laws

Truly, Iowa must be proud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jackson Taus posted:

Some would argue that there should be a distinction between the roles - for instance WhiteHouse.gov shouldn't be as overtly partisan as obamaforamerica.org or whatever, because one is Obama wearing his "Leader of All Americans" hat and the other is Obama wearing his "Leader of the Democratic Party" hat.

Yeah but the Speaker is an explicitly partisan role in the way the President isn't.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Why is the speaker any more an explicitly partisan role? It's not the house majority leader, even if it is the de facto leader of the house majority party.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Bunleigh posted:

Don't forget the economy they wrecked and refuse to let anyone attempt to fix!

They blame that on Clinton and Carter. My right wing father and law has never even heard of the Glass-Steagal act.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Magres posted:

Why is the speaker any more an explicitly partisan role? It's not the house majority leader, even if it is the de facto leader of the house majority party.

Because they are the de facto leader yes. And have no accountability to the public at large to boot, not even through indirect election like the President.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Honestly, I'm more pissed off he didn't reference Captain Jack over anything else since that Billy Joel song is criminally underrated when people talk about his work.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

Because they are the de facto leader yes. And have no accountability to the public at large to boot, not even through indirect election like the President.

The president is the de facto leader of their party. And the speaker of the house has accountability to the public through their district. Unless by 'at large' you mean 'the entire country' which is a distinction I don't really see as terribly relevant.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Magres posted:

The president is the de facto leader of their party. And the speaker of the house has accountability to the public through their district.

The Speaker isn't even in charge of a whole branch. Sorry bud.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Keep moving those goalposts

The correct answer to why one is explicitly partisan and the other is not is "tradition." Thanks for playing

elhondo
Sep 20, 2012
Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

I went to pay my mortgage today and realized my payment book was empty. When I called the bank they said the Federal Government had made them suspend the practice of payment books in lieu of monthly statements which seems stupid.

Anyone know about this? Why'd they pass this law and who was behind it? What's the reasoning? I was fine with my payment book.

The CFPB standardized mortgage payments a few months ago (good thing), maybe part of that?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Magres posted:

The correct answer to why one is explicitly partisan and the other is not is "tradition." Thanks for playing

And your point is? You admit it's partisan even.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Magres posted:

Dude: it's fishmech.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

The most objectionable parts of this are three-fold.

1. Southwest Ohio's problems are because morons like Boehner refuse to fund anything and keep voting themselves tax cuts even at the lowest levels of government.
2. Cincinnati's entire industry hold can be summed up as P&G + Fifth/Third. All the manufacturing is in Kentucky because it's even cheaper, and every other company of repute in Ohio would rather be in Columbus or Cleveland where more people are.

3 Cincinnati chili is awful, shameful spaghetti sauce masquerading as chili, and it's literally the worst local food in the US by far.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Fried Chicken posted:

Dude: it's fishmech.

:shrug: I always have hope that some day they will actually discuss something, ANYTHING in good faith instead of being a turd. Like I legit feel bad for them because I don't really think they're trolling, I think they're actually this socially incompetent and cannot understand why so many people get into it with them and think they're a terrible poster.

In other news, I really wish English had separate third person singular and plural pronouns. It's a grievance of mine with this language of ours.

Nintendo Kid posted:

And your point is? You admit it's partisan even.

The question I asked wasn't 'is it partisan' the discussion was 'why is it partisan.' I was looking to see if anyone had an answer other than 'tradition.' No one did, because the answer is up and down 'because it's tradition.' Please read and understand the question before answering, it's extremely unhelpful when you try to answer a different question than the one I asked.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

i don't know how I feel about this. I mean, going to Burning Man is on my list, I'm saving up to go next year.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Magres posted:

Because the Speaker is chosen by partisans. In America we expect that the president, now chosen by The People will govern over all of them but we have no such expectation for the Speaker of the House and the President Pro Tempore.
So as you said, tradition.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

HootTheOwl posted:

Because the Speaker is chosen by partisans.

Not really, since the Speaker is election through an open vote on the House floor, so there could be cross-partisan coalitions to elect a compromise Speaker.

But the Speaker does control the floor because they appoint the members of the Rules committee who get to decide what measures make it to a vote.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Joementum posted:

Not really, since the Speaker is election through an open vote on the House floor, so there could be cross-partisan coalitions to elect a compromise Speaker.

But the Speaker does control the floor because they appoint the members of the Rules committee who get to decide what measures make it to a vote.

This all did happen relatively recently in political history btw, it is how DeLay nearly pulled a coup against :newt: in the summer of 1997, depending on whose account of that backstabbing clusterfuck you believe

Adverbially
Sep 17, 2013

Soiled Meat
I still can’t believe I managed to get romneywasright.gop. :getin:

That said, I really don’t want another election with Romney with it, and I really don’t want Romney to post icky, staged family photos.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Fried Chicken posted:

i don't know how I feel about this. I mean, going to Burning Man is on my list, I'm saving up to go next year.

Why?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Joementum posted:

Has there ever been a successful example of this or is this all theory? Because if it's never actually happened even though it could it would support the "it's tradition" line.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Fried Chicken posted:

In addition to castrating hogs, GOP senate candidate Joni Ernst enjoys nullifying laws

Hmm, picking and choosing which federal laws to follow or not follow....who else does this, so much so that the GOP was forced to file a lawsuit and threaten impeachment.

For the life of me I can't remember. I think he's black, though.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Conspicuously absent: Allentown.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Speaking of Palin...holy poo poo this speech

https://www.crooksandliars.com/2014/07/sarah-palins-oddball-speech-denver-sounds

This is a must watch because she sounds inebriated heavily

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Shifty Pony posted:

It would have been easy, too. And no Leningrad foreign policy joke?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

beatlegs posted:

Hmm, picking and choosing which federal laws to follow or not follow....who else does this, so much so that the GOP was forced to file a lawsuit and threaten impeachment.

For the life of me I can't remember. I think he's black, though.

Andrew Johnson? :v:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

https://www.crooksandliars.com/2014/07/sarah-palins-oddball-speech-denver-sounds

Holy poo poo is right. She is drunk :stare:

I swear she's done the drunk 'oh god where'd my balance go' sway then settled back down onto the podium like three times

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

BiggerBoat posted:

They blame that on Clinton and Carter. My right wing father and law has never even heard of the Glass-Steagal act.

But... Clinton killed Glass-Steagal...

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

Shifty Pony posted:

Hah good catch!

Ho boy.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Didn't Carter also really get the deregulation train rolling before Reagan?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Magres posted:

Holy poo poo is right. She is drunk :stare:

I swear she's done the drunk 'oh god where'd my balance go' sway then settled back down onto the podium like three times

At least she doesn't need a teleprompter like 0bummer

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

At least she doesn't need a teleprompter like 0bummer

Well who would, what with the words swimming in and out of view regardless of where you looked?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

She's in Denver, so it might be a case of :420: :2bong:

Not quite as funny as the time Rick Perry took uppers to counter his pain pills in New Hampshire.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Radish posted:

IIRC both the airline and railroad industries were deregulated during his administration, so… maybe?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

StandardVC10 posted:

IIRC both the airline and railroad industries were deregulated during his administration, so… maybe?

Railroad deregulation was in combination with the massive spate of governmental authorities taking over remaining passenger rail and to a limited extent freight rail depending on region. Conrail would remain government owned until 1987.

Railroads also still remain heavily regulated, the main thing loosened up was price controls and ability to consolidate redundant infrastructure.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Nintendo Kid posted:

Railroad deregulation was in combination with the massive spate of governmental authorities taking over remaining passenger rail and to a limited extent freight rail depending on region. Conrail would remain government owned until 1987.

Railroads also still remain heavily regulated, the main thing loosened up was price controls and ability to consolidate redundant infrastructure.

Fair enough, I must have been thinking of the Staggers Act specifically, which was in 1980. Conrail had been formed in 1976 after the dumpster fire that was Penn Central so I don't think Carter necessarily played a role, while Amtrak had existed since 1971.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

StandardVC10 posted:

Yeah looking into it he weakened Regulation Q of Glass-Steagall in 1980 with the Monetary Reform Act.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regulation_Q

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Radish posted:

He kickstarted a lot of neoliberalism, and wasn't exactly a friend to the unions, yeah.

Lots of good comments in the link as well.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jul 29, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

StandardVC10 posted:

Fair enough, I must have been thinking of the Staggers Act specifically, which was in 1980. Conrail had been formed in 1976 after the dumpster fire that was Penn Central so I don't think Carter necessarily played a role, while Amtrak had existed since 1971.

Yeah arguably the Staggers Act has been the only good "deregulation" law passed in the history of the US, and it only managed that because of the nationalization of intercity passenger with Amtrak in the 70s, and the governmentalization of remaining commuter and short distance services through the 70s and 80s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

StandardVC10 posted:

Speaking of the airlines, in today's Double-Speak Legislation Of The Day, the House today voted to lower advertised airline ticket prices and make them "more transparent".

• Locked thread