Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Captain Bravo posted:

Goons, generally, don't seem to be well known for their excellent social graces. Add in an uncomfortable situation, and it's easy to see your only two options as being rude, or being a doormat.

Well, screw that! We all have situations wherein a necessary conversation looks like a minefield of issues, so let's pool the communal Goonmind and pump out some Judith Martin-level advice on asserting yourself in a respectful and non-confrontational manner. Let's Learn Advanced Etiquette!

My first question is one that has bugged me for a while now, with previous roommates, but is now becoming an issue with a coworker. How do I get people to stop stealing my poo poo?

It's not a huge, overt theft, but one annoying bastard at my job keeps taking my drinks. I stock the break room each week with juice and sodas for myself, and occasionally offer one to someone if they don't have money for the soda machine, but this dude has started taking multiple drinks per day without asking, and without offering to recompense me. So what's the best way to assert my right to not have my drinks taken, without calling the dude a thief and making him hate working with me. (even more than he already does...)

Or, to put it another way, how do I defuse a potentially hostile work situation without just making it worse?

I would just walk right up to him and say even though you do sometimes let people have one it is not a service you provide frequently.

Ask him he can have a couple but only if he throws in to help pay his share each week. Make the price significant so that he needs to buy a bunch of sodas at a price lower than the machine. Not a one by one price; he needs to commit . Don't make the price too low that it makes the option of buying his own a worse deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread