Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cuntman.net

Oil Can Boyd posted:

its not mine i just meant hey its right here in the thread!

to be fair sometimes images just dont load its very inconsistent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gross Dude

Gross Dude
I've interviewed several candidates for software development positions. In the interview I ask them how good they believe they ate at Java from 1 to 10, everyone always says 6 7 or 8. Then I ask them to right an outrageously easy program, given three numbers, return the largest.

Out of the 15 interviews I have given, 4 have been able to write the program. People who failed include someone with 8 years java experience and recent graduates.

I do not understand how anyone can get a degree in computer science or maintain a developer position without being able to do this.

LaTex Fetish

Gross Dude posted:

I've interviewed several candidates for software development positions. In the interview I ask them how good they believe they ate at Java from 1 to 10, everyone always says 6 7 or 8. Then I ask them to right an outrageously easy program, given three numbers, return the largest.

Out of the 15 interviews I have given, 4 have been able to write the program. People who failed include someone with 8 years java experience and recent graduates.

I do not understand how anyone can get a degree in computer science or maintain a developer position without being able to do this.

it's because they don't have 8 years of experience, but like 3 months of experience that they repeated for 8 years

SIDS Vicious

Sleepy Owl posted:

to be fair sometimes images just dont load its very inconsistent

yeah thats true its still not my resume though i swear

deep dish peat moss

I'm all for stretching the truth on your resume as long as it's within reasonable limits but the guy whose resume I'm working on right now lists "strong understanding" of python, java, actionscript, IIS, Nginx, etc. while I know that at best he has a "[x] for dummies" book he bought and never read about each of those and zero coding experience.

LaTex Fetish

when nginx first came about I think it was pronounced "in-jinx" and not "engine x" :blush:

SIDS Vicious

LaTex Fetish posted:

when nginx first came about I think it was pronounced "in-jinx" and not "engine x" :blush:

you so cute i want to squeeze ur cheeks

cruft

LaTex Fetish posted:

it's because they don't have 8 years of experience, but like 3 months of experience that they repeated for 8 years

This dude is wise.

Machai

Gross Dude posted:

an outrageously easy program, given three numbers, return the largest.

there isn't a built in math function that returns the largest number of a set?

Gross Dude

Gross Dude

Raip posted:

We tell them they can't use certain methods. Like we also ask for the length of a string but you can't use .size ()

cruft

Raip posted:

It's Java, so surely there's a library somewhere that does this and 56,000 other things, you just need to find the right library and thumb through the documentation until you find the right method.

I hate Java programming for exactly this reason because

code:
ret = MAX(i, MAX(j, k))
was quicker to write than having to look all that poo poo up.

cruft

Gross Dude posted:

We tell them they can't use certain methods. Like we also ask for the length of a string but you can't use .size ()

Gross dude I want to take your interview test, you should start a new thread tho.

PS: Don't make me do it in Java, I haven't touched Java for like 10+ years (except for my Android app which sucks)

LaTex Fetish

i know how to do fizzbuzz in at least 50 languages. I'm ready

cruft

cruft posted:

Gross dude I want to take your interview test, you should start a new thread tho.

Do it and then I'll make one for my interview.

cruft

LaTex Fetish posted:

i know how to do fizzbuzz in at least 50 languages. I'm ready

Doing fizzbuzz is seriously one of our questions, and only like ⅙ of candidates even know where to start. It's really eye-opening.

We even let you use any language you want.

Gross Dude

Gross Dude

cruft posted:

PS: Don't make me do it in Java, I haven't touched Java for like 10+ years (except for my Android app which sucks)

I can post it later, I can only access the forums through my phone and putting up all that would be annoying. I'll post it when I get home.

cruft

Gross Dude posted:

I can post it later, I can only access the forums through my phone and putting up all that would be annoying. I'll post it when I get home.

Okay, I'll do ours then.

cruft

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3647773

deep dish peat moss

THis guy has a section on his resume about how he likes "the internet in general" and just moved "to be closer to my grandma". Pertinent job-seeking factoids.

cruft

Funnypost Collabo posted:

THis guy has a section on his resume about how he likes "the internet in general" and just moved "to be closer to my grandma". Pertinent job-seeking factoids.

Same guy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss

Yeah it's a really awfully bad resumé and instead of rewriting for him I think I'm just going to teach him about what a resumé is and what purpose it serves and make him re-write it before I touch it up.

• Locked thread