Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phenwah
Feb 3, 2003

01: Nucleolab
02: NYPD
03: Escape From NYPD + Tutorial
04: Cornelius (K)
05: Cornelius (L)
06: Zorg's HQ (L)
07: Zorg's HQ (K)
08: Escape From Zorg's HQ
09: Depths of N.Y. (K)
10: Depths of N.Y. (L)
11: The Factory (K)
12: The Factory (L)
13: Astroport (K)
14: Astroport (L)
15: Call From Zorg
16: Fhloston Flight (K)
17: Fhloston Flight (L)
18: Fhloston Paradise (K)
19: Fhloston Paradise (L)
20: Machine Room (K)
21: Machine Room (L)
22: Free Cornelius
23: Bomb Alert (K)
24: Bomb Alert (L)
25: Egyptian Temple (L)
26: Egyptian Temple (K)

The Fifth Element is a 1998 third-person action-adventure game developed for the Playstation by Kalisto Entertainment (Nightmare Creatures, Fury of the Furries) and published by Activision (Apocalypse, Wu-Tang: Shaolin Style). Following along with the events of the 1997 film, players assume the roles of Korben Dallas and Leeloominaï Lekatariba Lamina-Tchaï Ekbat De Sebat on a mission to gather up four ancient stones and save the world from Absolute Evil.

Get in your hover-taxi and buckle up, because this game is primed to explode -- this is the ride.

I'm Phenwah, joined once again by Lobst and DemoWeasel. Welcome to The Fifth Element!

Note: this game uses solely footage and dialogue from the film for its cutscenes, and we're going to be talking over them. If you haven't seen the film, you'll probably get lost pretty quickly, as the game makes very little effort to fill in the gaps between story beats. Also, it's a genuinely good piece of entertainment and worth a watch on its own.

Phenwah fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Nov 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenwah
Feb 3, 2003

01: Nucleolab

Phenwah fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jul 8, 2014

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy
Oh man. I remember hearing about this game a few years after it came out. Always wanted to see what was up with it. I'm kind of amazed that the in-game video quality, as small as the video itself may be, actually looks pretty good. The rest of the game so far though? Not so much.

As someone who really enjoys the movie, I'm looking forward to the rest of this LP.

dracura
Apr 25, 2010
Can't wait to see where this goes for a few reasons.

One, I love the movie to death. I would go so far as to say it's my favorite movie of all time.
Secondly, as a kid I always wanted the game and never got it.
Thirdly, I wondered if anyone would ever LP this and, lo and behold!

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

I remember owning and beating this game, looking forward to how horrible it actually is and the first video already shows promise.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Holy crap I am baffled that this even exists. Huge fan of Besson and The Fifth Element in particular, so I guess I'm stoked to see how terrible this is?

Also, is Ruby Rhod a playable character? This is important.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Yeesh, this game looks super clunky. Must be terrible to control.

Guess it's at least a good excuse to rewatch the film. Looks like it's on Netflix streaming now, even.

Phenwah
Feb 3, 2003

Mr. Soop posted:

Oh man. I remember hearing about this game a few years after it came out. Always wanted to see what was up with it. I'm kind of amazed that the in-game video quality, as small as the video itself may be, actually looks pretty good. The rest of the game so far though? Not so much.

Aside from the Attract Mode segment, I'm actually substituting in Blu-ray footage from the film for the FMV cutscenes wherever possible -- which was a pain in the rear end for a number of reasons, mostly because I think they used the PAL version for the game.

dracura posted:

Can't wait to see where this goes for a few reasons.

One, I love the movie to death. I would go so far as to say it's my favorite movie of all time.
Secondly, as a kid I always wanted the game and never got it.
Thirdly, I wondered if anyone would ever LP this and, lo and behold!

I will do my best not to disappoint!

Demicol posted:

I remember owning and beating this game, looking forward to how horrible it actually is and the first video already shows promise.

I remember the Astroport levels more than anything else. They have not aged well!

Blind Sally posted:

Also, is Ruby Rhod a playable character? This is important.

Sorry!

Wanamingo posted:

Guess it's at least a good excuse to rewatch the film. Looks like it's on Netflix streaming now, even.

And now I've subtly edited a link to it into the first post. Thanks for the tip!

Phenwah fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jul 4, 2014

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
I played a little of this years ago. I remember it getting something like 37% in a game magazine. Not the greatest game, but it had it's moments. But it's good to see it being LP'd. There are some good ps 1 games that could do with being dusted off.

Leeloo Dallas multi-pass!

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

gently caress this game so hard for making me play it because I loved the movie so much.

I will enjoy this playthrough and experiencing your pain.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Worth it just for that interpretation of Ruby Rhod. That was incredible.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

It's like Shadows of the Empire. Only much, much worse.

jawbroken
Aug 13, 2007

messmate king
Any reason why the replaced cutscenes don't fill the frame? Alternatively, any reason why you've padded out the game footage to widescreen? You probably want either a 4:3 video where the game footage fills the frame and the cutscenes are letterboxed or a 16:9 video where the cutscenes fill the frame and the game footage is pillarboxed. Not sure which is best; it probably depends on the proportion by time of each mode.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Living from one medkit to the next is a mark of a really good game :downs:

The movie owned btw

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Tin Tim posted:

Living from one medkit to the next is a mark of a really good game :downs:

The movie owned btw

It could be to be honest. The problem is this game isn't designed well enough for it to be a fun mechanic.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
I can unironically call The Fifth Element my favorite movie, but even as a kid I picked up the box for this at a Blockbuster, looked at the art, then put it down in disgust. And I played the Danger Girl game.

Godspeed, gentlemen. I'll be with you all the way. Please don't necessitate tattoo removal.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Samovar posted:

It's like Shadows of the Empire. Only much, much worse.

Whoa, whoa, hey now! This game looks way too awful to be compared to Dash Rendar's glorious bar story.

Too bad about Ruby Rhod. Seeing his character model so lovingly rendered, I was hoping he could be playable with cheats or something. Ah, a person can only dream.

Ruby Rhod is amazing across all languages. And cosplay too.

Sally fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jul 6, 2014

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

There aren't enough thank yous in the world for gifting this to the thread.:allears:

Wasn't there some other Bruce Willis game for the PSX? Don't think it was this one, though. Actually, with Die Hard Arcade, Fifth Element, and whatever that other game was, Willis (or at least his characters) were in video games quite often.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Wasn't there also a driving/racing game based on the movie that had literally no other connection or tie-in save the car designs? I remember it shared the same cover design as the movie and came out a good dozen years after for no real reason. Very strange game.

Shinjobi posted:

Wasn't there some other Bruce Willis game for the PSX? Don't think it was this one, though. Actually, with Die Hard Arcade, Fifth Element, and whatever that other game was, Willis (or at least his characters) were in video games quite often.

Apocalypse, which shares a game engine with the Tony Hawk series :eng101:

Though you're getting confused there, Die Hard Arcade was a Sega beat-em-up, Die Hard Trilogy, was the game you're thinking of.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Blind Sally posted:

Whoa, whoa, hey now! This game looks way too awful to be compared to Dash Rendar's glorious bar story.

Too bad about Ruby Rhod. Seeing his character model so lovingly rendered, I was hoping he could be playable with cheats or something. Ah, a person can only dream.

Ruby Rhod is amazing across all languages. And cosplay too.

Oh, the French voice actor for Ruby Rhod is Tom Novembre, forgot about that.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Oh wow. This looks like an Ouya game. :munch:

necroid
May 14, 2009

The PS1 era was hilarious... LP seems okay so far, gonna watch this.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I loved this game as a kid, even with the horrid PC controls and the game missing half the cutscenes for some reason or other. The plot was a confusing mess for me.

Eagerly waiting for the OP to crush my rose tinted glases.

Phenwah
Feb 3, 2003

jawbroken posted:

Any reason why the replaced cutscenes don't fill the frame? Alternatively, any reason why you've padded out the game footage to widescreen? You probably want either a 4:3 video where the game footage fills the frame and the cutscenes are letterboxed or a 16:9 video where the cutscenes fill the frame and the game footage is pillarboxed. Not sure which is best; it probably depends on the proportion by time of each mode.

I squished the movie down to the frame presented by the game because there's still segments here and there where the developers chopped and screwed with the footage to the point that I can't fake it and I still have to cut between the BD and the on-disc FMV, and I stuck with a 720p aspect ratio because I can never get YouTube to play well with 4:3 videos larger than 480p. For the next video (which should be going up later today), I'll try cropping the frame and rendering out at 960x720 and 640x480 and post whichever looks crisper once it's online and compressed.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Oh man, I remember this: I loved The Fifth Element movie when I watched it and a local PC gaming magazine included this game, which I eventually finished.
It's not what some would consider a "great" game, or even a "good" game, but younger me still had a lot of fun playing it.
Good luck, guys. :v:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
For all the (presumably) clunky controls and camera placement and the horrible compressed cutscene video, this game doesn't actually seem that bad for what it is. By 1998 licensed game standards this actually looks pretty good.

Or maybe I've watched too much Retsupurae and have too many memories of horrible FMV games from the same era. Goddamn FMV was the worst thing to happen to mid-90s video games.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

It really isn't that bad for what it is. Has its highs and lows for sure.

I actually played this before I ever saw the movie. I was disappointed that the movie did not feature Ruby as much as the game did.

DirtyPatty
May 30, 2011
I didn't even know this game existed. Looks kinda bad even for a ps1 game, but I don't care because I love this movie.

One of my favorite Halloweens was when I ran into a lady in a Leeloo costume. I'd share a pic if I was smart enough to figure out how.

Phenwah
Feb 3, 2003

Leeloo's been reconstructed, but Korben got arrested during the procedure and now we've gotta break him out!

02: NYPD

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I can't decide if whomever decided to have Chris Tucker's Ruby scream as the sound clip to accompany level loading should be given a medal or a death sentence.

jawbroken
Aug 13, 2007

messmate king
Works great at 960x720, thanks.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
I especially appreciate being reminded of things that I had forgot happened in the original film. What a well designed game!

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
Is there a legal way to see the movie this is "based" on that doesn't cost 10+ dollars?

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Major_JF posted:

Is there a legal way to see the movie this is "based" on that doesn't cost 10+ dollars?

Do you have Netflix?

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

David D. Davidson posted:

Do you have Netflix?

No, but I could get a free 1 month trial... That might just work. Thank you.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Kibayasu posted:

I can't decide if whomever decided to have Chris Tucker's Ruby scream as the sound clip to accompany level loading should be given a medal or a death sentence.

Clearly it's the former.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Wait. They really spoiled something within the last ten minutes of the movie but didn't bother to include anything from the prologue about how the stones found their way to Earth or mention the giant ball of evil that Korben and Leeloo are meant to be stopping?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Well, Korben doesn't get arrested or break Leeloo out of the facility, so I don't think the devs really care that much how they frame this thing.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
True. I guess I should have given up on the story making sense when Leeloo gained psionic abilities and climbed backwards with her creepy disembodied doll head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Oh, I think they took a bit of creative license in order to NEVER show Bruce Willis. Remember, Leeloo is the main character.

• Locked thread