Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
The origins of myth
Africa
Mesopotamia
Egypt
Greece
China
India
Iran/Aryans
Turks
Neanderthals
Rome
View Results

• Locked thread
redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
It's 19,323 BCE, you don't know what thunder and lightning are except expressions of a God's emotional state.

A thunderstorm means you did something wrong.

Think about the ramifications of this line of thinking, and were it brings us today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Neanderthals own

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Don't really take your point though

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
pos my neg rear end

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
pretty sure your parents would be punished for having sex every time after you were born

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
oh no not re-li-chon

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_e7C8WR9h0

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
if you were my child i'd hit you

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
My spirit animal is a deer but my wife Ugla's is a wolf so you can just imagine the trouble we have conceiving, haha.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:
:sax:

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
thunder and lightning are god, you silly head

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
Occam's Razor states* that the simplest explanation is the correct one, so yes op thunder and lightening are gods

also the sun and the moon

*no it doesn't

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Honestly the origins of myths is a really fascinating subject to me. I like thinking about how the natural world and human conflicts and stuff were interpreted by ancient man, and how threads of the stories first told tens of thousands of years ago still exist in the stories and religions we have today.

Take Odin, for example. Was the origin of Odin tribal shamanism? How did he evolve over time to become the Santa Clause we know today (because he totally did)?

real post over

fart

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
uhhh?

I CAN HALP YOU.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I picked Africa because Shango is the god of thunder and he's sweet rear end baller at those drums ya'll.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

aliens

stuntwaffle
Mar 7, 2007

I wish Starbound was a dick so I could put it in my ass and mouth!
when i worked for a psychiatrist, schizophrenics honestly thought this was the case and usually the result of some good ol' fashioned dadfucking

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE
gently caress your god

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

gently caress Your Website posted:

gently caress your god

At least my God can literally strike you down.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

My favorite part about this is you can see the neckbeard so clearly behind the mask; and the glasses in a selfie in what I can only presume is his private room.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

A misanthrope posted:

Honestly the origins of myths is a really fascinating subject to me. I like thinking about how the natural world and human conflicts and stuff were interpreted by ancient man, and how threads of the stories first told tens of thousands of years ago still exist in the stories and religions we have today.

Take Odin, for example. Was the origin of Odin tribal shamanism? How did he evolve over time to become the Santa Clause we know today (because he totally did)?

real post over

fart

you would probably enjoy the nerd posts talking about the glorantha pnp setting (kingdom of dragon pass setting)

i don't play gay pnps but the setting is really interesting since it was written by someone with an anthropology background and is based heavily around the mythology that develops in primitive cultures

it's pretty rad

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
Sweet light show *chews more peyote*

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

This is DBZ right?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I, too am glad that FYAD has finally washed upon our pristine shores.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

gaze upon these original, hilarious posts.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

There's not an option for America or Goku so I'm really upset.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

A misanthrope posted:

real post over

fart

I'd like to read what you say without getting a seizure. Please change your avatar or post something that I can skip immediately.

Silver Gadget
Apr 17, 2006

would they be enemies or best friends? makes you think..

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
didnt read thread voted africa

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
"Kami" means, "God", "Lightning", and "Hair" in Japanese so ill let you draw your own conclusions there.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

A misanthrope posted:

real post over

fart

This is what I'm getting at.

Myth, in a sense, is a primitive form of science. Lightning rips the sky - you've got no idea why, but you try to make sense of it. The default human response seems to then impart an active agent - a God - as the source of these events. Such that you can then consider pleasing them, or offending them. Once you have that constructed, you then can see how ethical codes are imposed on the society in order to "please the gods", and then of course a social structure happens with people who interpret the gods will - and religion is born.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Neurosis posted:

you would probably enjoy the nerd posts talking about the glorantha pnp setting (kingdom of dragon pass setting)

i don't play gay pnps but the setting is really interesting since it was written by someone with an anthropology background and is based heavily around the mythology that develops in primitive cultures

it's pretty rad

thnks! i'll check it out

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Soft Shell Crab posted:

I'd like to read what you say without getting a seizure. Please change your avatar or post something that I can skip immediately.

seizures are god telling you to stop touching yourself

PlantRobot
Feb 13, 2010
nah the gods probably aren't angered with a bunch of random patches of dirt and trees which is mostly what they hit sooooo

your move, other pagans :smuggo:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

PlantRobot posted:

nah the gods probably aren't angered with a bunch of random patches of dirt and trees which is mostly what they hit sooooo

your move, other pagans :smuggo:

Well the dirt and trees are Gods too.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

redshirt posted:

This is what I'm getting at.

Myth, in a sense, is a primitive form of science. Lightning rips the sky - you've got no idea why, but you try to make sense of it. The default human response seems to then impart an active agent - a God - as the source of these events. Such that you can then consider pleasing them, or offending them. Once you have that constructed, you then can see how ethical codes are imposed on the society in order to "please the gods", and then of course a social structure happens with people who interpret the gods will - and religion is born.

I also love thinking about gods and legendary figures who might be based on real people. like what if Enki was a tribal chief or something in furthest pre-history and his legend became myth and he was turned into a god? what if hercules was actually a real strong dude?

what if bendy man was an infamous skinny plumber whose true story was clouded by the passage of time?

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
Out of the way. Here comes the god of thunder and lightning. *pushes through queue to sub-par urinal, pisses on self*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone
Goku is my god.

• Locked thread