Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goku im piss
Mar 18, 2005

Your mama was a snowblower
the only good part was the bald dude complaining about Rufus Sewell learning to gleam the cube

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Dark City has neat premise and visuals.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

etalian posted:

yeah

the actual execution of some of it is shakey but it is a cool concept that would probably make a good short story and it is visually striking

i just started watching antichrist and the non-simulated sex in the beginning came as a bit of a surprise

i'm only disappointed to know it wasn't the actual member of willem 'the human tripod' dafoe

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:
i think it's hilarious butplug is like "oh The Shining is so middlebrow hrrr hrr hrr I actually have taste" and then recommends a movie where a chick smashes a dude's junk with a board and cuts her clit off.

goons are loving idiots with art house pretensions is what i have learned from this thread and several other threads

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Shining is a masterpiece. Middlebrow? Lol It is the highest brow.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
the shining is a b-movie with a better budget directed by a slick hack, and the fact that nobody comes away from the movie having learned anything about themselves or experienced any new emotions shows how bland it is

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

butplug accident posted:

the shining is a b-movie with a better budget directed by a slick hack, and the fact that nobody comes away from the movie having learned anything about themselves or experienced any new emotions shows how bland it is
it is a scary movie for children, much like every movie adaptation of king's writing

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

butplug accident posted:

quoting this for posterity. just look at it. marvel at it.

stanley kubrick was a slick hack everybody

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

butplug is like a holocaust denier but worse

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
way to buy into a brand name

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

butplug accident posted:

and the fact that nobody comes away from the movie having learned anything about themselves or experienced any new emotions shows how bland it is

That is so fkin middlebrow. Shining doesn't set to do what every other movie already does.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Soft Shell Crab posted:

That is so fkin middlebrow. Shining doesn't set to do what every other movie already does.

i'm not talking about universals about the Human Condition or anything like that. i'm talking about the viewer being made to feel something interesting. something that isn't just the normal human fight-or-flight response with cheap jump scares and "spooky" mood setting music, ie. the usual pulp fare.

i remember when i was a kid watching the end scene with the frozen jack nicholson and every kid in the small screening room laughed. if you didn't laugh at that scene there's probably something wrong with you

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Yeah I know what you are talking about.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

rather than derail anymore, I created a thread about it

you're welcome butplug now please come explain yourself: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3648677

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
i'd love to post in your bitchmade thread but i'm worried you might get a posting fit like the last time i called something gay gay

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

that's ok on second thought i'd rather have you not post there

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
welcome to GBS film criticism, where everybody you don't like is a hack because words don't mean things anymore

A misanthrope posted:

i think it's hilarious butplug is like "oh The Shining is so middlebrow hrrr hrr hrr I actually have taste" and then recommends a movie where a chick smashes a dude's junk with a board and cuts her clit off.

goons are loving idiots with art house pretensions is what i have learned from this thread and several other threads

A lot of GBS goons never broke out of that r/movies mindset where the be-all end-all measurement of a film's quality is "over-rated" and "under-rated", so a critical and popular success like The Shining is automatically bad while something "obscure" (ie not obscure at all but they know gently caress all about movies so they're just discovering it five years after everybody else did) that divided critics and audiences like Antichrist is automatically good

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

...of SCIENCE! posted:

welcome to GBS film criticism, where everybody you don't like is a hack because words don't mean things anymore

A lot of GBS goons never broke out of that r/movies mindset where the be-all end-all measurement of a film's quality is "over-rated" and "under-rated", so a critical and popular success like The Shining is automatically bad while something "obscure" (ie not obscure at all but they know gently caress all about movies so they're just discovering it five years after everybody else did) that divided critics and audiences like Antichrist is automatically good

As usual, you found a way to say it much better than I could. Thank you Science.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Soft Shell Crab posted:

Shining is a masterpiece. Middlebrow? Lol It is the highest brow.

Yeah, the Shining is like a 5-head with a hairline so receded that it's even losing the hairs at the nape of the neck, it's very high brow.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

...of SCIENCE! posted:

of science! the catlady centurion here to make another fedora redditor snob comparison because that's literally your only frame of reference

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Actually, that raises a question, if someone is balding so much that the balding reaches the back of their neck, is their brow now really high? Or has it come around to being really low?
Is it both? In that case, it's possible that The Shining could be really high brow and low brow at the same time.

goku im piss
Mar 18, 2005

Your mama was a snowblower

...of SCIENCE! posted:

a lot of goons spent time white knighting Damon Lindelof and supporting the claim he was some sort of genius and not a lovely writer and that Prometheus was somehow deeper and more meaningful than it actually was

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Low brow's a feller who farts the national anthem

High brow's a feller who puts his hat over his heart

Hesh Ballantine
Feb 13, 2012
*thinks of a fairly popular and entertaining but relatively uncontroversial or groundbreaking film*

*posts thread deriding film, holds up obscure low budget poo poo film as superior*

*leans back*

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
butplug accident is a poo poo-posting account written by a mouth breathing hack, and the fact that nobody comes away from reading his posts having learned anything about themselves or experienced anything but mild nausea shows how bland he is

Hesh Ballantine posted:

*thinks of a fairly popular and entertaining but relatively uncontroversial or groundbreaking film*

*posts thread deriding film, holds up obscure low budget poo poo film as superior*

*leans back*

Antichrist isn't obscure at all. But butplug accident is a wannabe intellectual so of course he went for the most obvious, most pedestrian option.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Hesh Ballantine posted:

*leans back*

2001 a space odyssey is all style no substance, and is inferior to Solaris

Titty Warlord
Apr 28, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

butplug accident is a poo poo-posting account written by a mouth breathing hack, and the fact that nobody comes away from reading his posts having learned anything about themselves or experienced anything but mild nausea shows how bland he is

Antichrist isn't obscure at all. But butplug accident is a wannabe intellectual so of course he went for the most obvious, most pedestrian option.

i thought it was funny when yaoi mandell called you out for defending a pedophile :xd:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I mean he is a bad poster, but Antichrist is a good film

Just not one I'm ever going to completely rewatch again or recommend people watch multiple times because I'm not a fan of the genital mutilation parts.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Titty Warlord posted:

i thought it was funny when yaoi mandell called you out for defending a pedophile :xd:

ya, pretty funny

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

butplug accident posted:

2001 a space odyssey is all style no substance, and is inferior to Solaris
I love both of these films to death. They are both incredible films, but I guess I have to chose between the two because there can't be two great films on same subject without one being inferior directed by a hack.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

etalian posted:

I liked the first half of Dark City but I wasn't paying too close attention to the story or anything. Then the second half-happened.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Soft Shell Crab posted:

I love both of these films to death. They are both incredible films, but I guess I have to chose between the two because there can't be two great films on same subject without one being inferior directed by a hack.

i think kubrick is an overblown hack but i loved dr. strangelove and full metal jacket. and it's very common to compare solaris to 2001 since solaris was billed as the "anti-2001" and people have been arguing about which is better. i'm not saying you have to choose between anything, that's dumb as gently caress.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
are any of the other films by the Antichrist director/writer worth watching?

Blahsmack
Oct 25, 2003

antichrist was boring as hell you needed genital mutilation just to keep the audience interested

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Trees and Squids posted:

watch dogville and the idiots imo

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

butplug accident posted:

i think kubrick is an overblown hack but i loved dr. strangelove and full metal jacket. and it's very common to compare solaris to 2001 since solaris was billed as the "anti-2001" and people have been arguing about which is better. i'm not saying you have to choose between anything, that's dumb as gently caress.
I'm not choosing between anything that was rhetoric, I think you know that.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Trees and Squids posted:

The Kingdom, which is a miniseries, not a film, though.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
dogville has nicole kidman getting brutalized nearly all the way through while the idiots makes fun of retards and is hilarious, especially if you're danish

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Soft Shell Crab posted:

I'm not choosing between anything that was rhetoric, I think you know that.

i know. im saying anyone who really feels that way is dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

goku im piss posted:

a lot of goons spent time white knighting Damon Lindelof and supporting the claim he was some sort of genius and not a lovely writer and that Prometheus was somehow deeper and more meaningful than it actually was

actually goons mindlessly bashed Lindelof because their aspergers were severely inflamed by the fact that his scripts don't give long cold explanations of every little thing

"the magic island on LOST did weird poo poo because it was magic" and "the black alien goo in Prometheus does weird poo poo because it's alien" are like kryptonite to the kind of people who spend their time trying to outsmart movies by pointing out "plot holes"

• Locked thread