Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
it's a movie for gbs fags like donnie darko, op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
the shining is middlebrow stuff but there's no way anyone is legitimately dumb enough to lump it together with garbage like dark city and star trek voyager

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Frankenstyle posted:

To be fair though, I think I hate it so much because people who love it seem to really fuking love it in spite of the fact that it's so goddamn mediocre and dull. As bad as the horror genre gets, at least half of the films ever made would be better examples of a good horror film.

agreed, the shining is forgettable as gently caress, and probably the only reason ppl remember it is because of all the quirky memes about it

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
some movies that arent really bad or great enough to be ignored, and are just quirky and inoffensive enough to speak to lots of people simultaneously, become cultural signposts that people make epic memes out of, and that's what happened to movies like the big lebowski and the shining imo

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

A misanthrope posted:

who gives a poo poo about memes? have you ever seen the shining? i watch it at least once a year. that movie is as solid as you're gonna find.

yes i've seen that movie just like everyone else has. and like most people i thought it was brilliant. but then i saw some more movies

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
watch antichrist if you want a better the shining

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Chris James 2 posted:

People should already have watched Antichrist

That said, it's much easier to watch The Shining over and over again than it is to repeatedly watch Antichrist

you know something is wrong when you can watch this one horror movie over and over again without feeling a single new or interesting emotion, but you can't watch the other one without shrinking back in on yourself so hard that you turn into a perfect sphere by the end

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
the shining is a b-movie with a better budget directed by a slick hack, and the fact that nobody comes away from the movie having learned anything about themselves or experienced any new emotions shows how bland it is

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Soft Shell Crab posted:

That is so fkin middlebrow. Shining doesn't set to do what every other movie already does.

i'm not talking about universals about the Human Condition or anything like that. i'm talking about the viewer being made to feel something interesting. something that isn't just the normal human fight-or-flight response with cheap jump scares and "spooky" mood setting music, ie. the usual pulp fare.

i remember when i was a kid watching the end scene with the frozen jack nicholson and every kid in the small screening room laughed. if you didn't laugh at that scene there's probably something wrong with you

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
i'd love to post in your bitchmade thread but i'm worried you might get a posting fit like the last time i called something gay gay

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

...of SCIENCE! posted:

welcome to GBS film criticism, where everybody you don't like is a hack because words don't mean things anymore

A lot of GBS goons never broke out of that r/movies mindset where the be-all end-all measurement of a film's quality is "over-rated" and "under-rated", so a critical and popular success like The Shining is automatically bad while something "obscure" (ie not obscure at all but they know gently caress all about movies so they're just discovering it five years after everybody else did) that divided critics and audiences like Antichrist is automatically good

of science! the catlady centurion here to make another fedora redditor snob comparison because that's literally your only frame of reference

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Hesh Ballantine posted:

*thinks of a fairly popular and entertaining but relatively uncontroversial or groundbreaking film*

*posts thread deriding film, holds up obscure low budget poo poo film as superior*

*leans back*

2001 a space odyssey is all style no substance, and is inferior to Solaris

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Soft Shell Crab posted:

I love both of these films to death. They are both incredible films, but I guess I have to chose between the two because there can't be two great films on same subject without one being inferior directed by a hack.

i think kubrick is an overblown hack but i loved dr. strangelove and full metal jacket. and it's very common to compare solaris to 2001 since solaris was billed as the "anti-2001" and people have been arguing about which is better. i'm not saying you have to choose between anything, that's dumb as gently caress.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Trees and Squids posted:

are any of the other films by the Antichrist director/writer worth watching?

watch dogville and the idiots imo

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
dogville has nicole kidman getting brutalized nearly all the way through while the idiots makes fun of retards and is hilarious, especially if you're danish

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Soft Shell Crab posted:

I'm not choosing between anything that was rhetoric, I think you know that.

i know. im saying anyone who really feels that way is dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

goku im piss posted:

were you trying to prove my point or

she's as inept as any of the nerds she thinks she's superior to

• Locked thread