Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

etalian posted:

Can we at least agree about Jennifer Connelly being a dream waifu?

:agreed:

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

butplug accident posted:

it's a movie for gbs fags like donnie darko, op

u r a bad stupid man

i hate u i hate u!!!!!

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

so what kinda movies do u haters like?

admit it, dark city was better than 98% of the stupid poo poo out there and we need to be thankful for every good movie we get

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Benedick Cuckold posted:

fascinating. this poster actually admits to liking a nerd thing in GBS, yet he still feels the need to include a stock anti-nerd, GBS-sanctioned disclaimer as a means to signal his continued loyalty to the in-group, head off any potential criticism of his opinion, and avoid excessive shaming by the community. each day, i feel i'm getting closer and closer to a Grand Unified Theory of GBS Posting.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

JebanyPedal posted:

Does anyone else feel like Brandon Lee's performance in The Crow is kinda similar to Heath Ledger's in The Dark Knight? The mannerisms and cadence in the voice is what does it for me, but I also watched The Crow while absurdly high on cough syrup because I was desperately trying to force the flu out of me and also I was retarded and 16.

i think its just the makeup dude

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

The 13th Floor is another movie i remember from the gattica and dark city days

i remember liking it

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

how can someone say it's the worst movie theyve seen IN YEARS? i mean there are sooooo many bad movies out there. do u just not watch movies?

im mad

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

McDowell posted:

'Jack & Jill' and 'The Zookeeper' are better than 'Dark City'

Obama is the worst president of all time

mcdowell you're lucky mom told us -- just before she died in that plane crash -- that we should never fight with each other

*i turn and blow the head off one of my evil minions*

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Trees and Squids posted:

im sorry it stings so much and is hard to accept but man i watch a lot of movies and i wasnt speaking in hyperbole. dark city is a big piece of cheesy poo poo. it stinks... it stinks real bad.

*fuckin mad*

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

...of SCIENCE! posted:

It was OK but both Dark City and The Matrix did a better job with the same premise.

i wonder what was going on in our culture at the time that produced all these "reality is a lie" "question the machine" type movies around that time? Fight Club kinda fits in there as well.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Same reason why the 90s had so much Tipper Gore "think of the children" moralising, identity politics, and Dale Gribble-level anti-government consporacy theories; Since the Berlin wall fell we didn't have a scary monolithic foreign enemy to distract us so we looked inward for conflict.

Then 9/11 happened and our movies were about being brave enough to torture people.

makes sense to me

good post, thnk u

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:stare:

get the gently caress outta here

i hope you fall off a cliff. not even joking.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Frankenstyle posted:

Dark City is like The Shining and Star Trek Voyager. I can't imagine why anyone would like them on any level, and when someone IRL says they do I actually think less of them as a person to the point of politely avoiding them in social situations.

hey dark city haters, look who you have on your side! this man is literally worse than a serial rapist. is that the kind of scum you attract?

i hope you are all ashamed of yourselves.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

even pretentious rear end butplug, who wouldnt complement a non-arthouse snoozefest to save his mother's life, thinks frankenstyle is fulla poo poo

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

you guys make me want to kill myself

i can't even read this thread anymore

literally shaking for real unironically

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

the shing guys. the loving shining! its one of the best movies ever made you twerps jesus christ arrrrrrjhgghggggggggfgggff

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

butplug accident posted:

some movies that arent really bad or great enough to be ignored, and are just quirky and inoffensive enough to speak to lots of people simultaneously, become cultural signposts that people make epic memes out of, and that's what happened to movies like the big lebowski and the shining imo

who gives a poo poo about memes? have you ever seen the shining? i watch it at least once a year. that movie is as solid as you're gonna find.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

ive never said this before because i believe in supporting the community as a whole and don't want to knok a place where i spend so much time but...i think i hate goons

it's finally happened. congrats, you guys have done it. i hate goons. i hate em.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

tell my family i love them. tell your mom i had a good time.

*kills self*

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

i think it's hilarious butplug is like "oh The Shining is so middlebrow hrrr hrr hrr I actually have taste" and then recommends a movie where a chick smashes a dude's junk with a board and cuts her clit off.

goons are loving idiots with art house pretensions is what i have learned from this thread and several other threads

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

butplug accident posted:

the shining is a b-movie with a better budget directed by a slick hack, and the fact that nobody comes away from the movie having learned anything about themselves or experienced any new emotions shows how bland it is

quoting this for posterity. just look at it. marvel at it.

stanley kubrick was a slick hack everybody

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

butplug is like a holocaust denier but worse

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

rather than derail anymore, I created a thread about it

you're welcome butplug now please come explain yourself: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3648677

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

that's ok on second thought i'd rather have you not post there

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

...of SCIENCE! posted:

welcome to GBS film criticism, where everybody you don't like is a hack because words don't mean things anymore

A lot of GBS goons never broke out of that r/movies mindset where the be-all end-all measurement of a film's quality is "over-rated" and "under-rated", so a critical and popular success like The Shining is automatically bad while something "obscure" (ie not obscure at all but they know gently caress all about movies so they're just discovering it five years after everybody else did) that divided critics and audiences like Antichrist is automatically good

As usual, you found a way to say it much better than I could. Thank you Science.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Hesh Ballantine posted:

I thought this was really good but yeah of course goons have to be like "ITS NOT THAT GOOD AT ALL"

lmao if you like things

• Locked thread