Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.
Today's Schedule

National Broadcasts All times Eastern
  • 11:05 am - Chicago Cubs at Washington Nationals - MLBN / WGN America
  • 3:10 pm - New York Yankees at Minnesota Twins - ESPN2
  • 7:08 pm -Tampa Bay Rays at Detroit Tigers - ESPN

Today in Baseball History
  • 1776 Continental Congress in Philadelphia ratifies the Declaration of Independence, separating the new United States from Britain. :911:
  • 1911 Armando Marsans and Rafael Almeida become the first Cuban natives to appear in a major league game as they both make their debut for the Reds
  • 1912 On Independence Day, George Mullins of the Detroit Tigers throws a no-hitter, in addition to getting three hits and two RBI
  • 1932 Bill Dickey of the New York Yankees punches and breaks Carl Reynolds’s jaw after the Senator outfielder collides with him on a close play at home plate. The Yankees Catcher is fined $1000 by the American League.
  • 1939 In front of 61,808 fans at Yankee Stadium on Lou Gherig Day, the Yankees First Baseman becomes the first player in baseball to have his number, 4, retired, telling the Yankee Stadium crowd that he considers himself "the luckiest man on the face of the earth."
  • 1976 After hitting an apparent game-winning grand slam, Tim McCarver is credited with only a three-run single when he passes teammate Garry Maddox on the base paths in the Phillies' 10-5 victory over the Pirates at Three Rivers Stadium.
  • 1982 Celebrating Independence Day at Mile High Stadium in Denver, 65,666 fans watch an American Association contest and enjoy a giant fireworks display after the game. The gathering is the largest crowd in minor league history.
  • 1985 In a 19-inning game, which goes until just before 4 a.m. on July 5th, the Mets beat the Braves, 16-13. After the 6 hours, 10 minutes game, the 1000 fans left in Atlanta Fulton County Stadium are treated to pre-dawn fireworks which awaken and frighten many of the ballpark’s neighbors.
  • 1999 Jose Canseco becomes the first player in major league history to hit 30 home runs with four different teams, having done it with the Devil Rays, A's, Rangers, and Blue Jays.

Tedd_Not_Ed fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Cubs BABIP'n their way into the lead! :toot:

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro
Harper is swinging like a moron. I think Matt Williams put him right behind Span to force them to get along.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro
I hope Roark isn't planning on giving up a run each inning.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

TenaciousJ posted:

Harper is swinging like a moron. I think Matt Williams put him right behind Span to force them to get along.

Nah he's just tinkering with swapping him and Rendon against righties.

Roark babiped to death once again by the Cubs. :sigh:

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

Pastrymancy posted:

Harper swings at too many bad pitches to be in the 2 slot regardless

Pastrymancy posted:

I dislike this experiment. Rendon is a lot smarter at the plate.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.
That sailor has a hell of a voice :stare:

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.
Looks like the Cubs are gonna do what they do best.

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

Harper's pretty cool but there is just so drat much going on with that swing.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
If Nats lose on July fourth do they get moved back to Montreal?

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.

Pastrymancy posted:

If Nats lose on July fourth do they get moved back to Montreal?

Bon Voyage! :quebec:

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.
I hate the Yankees as much as any decent person, but whoever decided to schedule them to be away on the 75th anniversary of Lou Gherig's speech is a bad person who should feel bad

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Tim Kirkjan is a dork.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
The Jays sure have an interesting lineup against lefties

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.
On this day that we celebrate America :911:

But today we also celebrate the Battle for the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania

Pittsburgh

Vs.

Philadelphia

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Nice catch Melky

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

The Jays sure have an interesting lineup against lefties

is it really worth it to split the lineup that much. I'm not a Stat Guy but even if Lind and Colby suck against lefties, are Brad Glenn and Mastroianni really better? I'm not even sure Glenn knows what baseball is.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.
What the hell were you thinking sending Marte home on a bloop that barely made it out of the infield?

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.
:russbus:

E: and Joshua :swoon:

Tedd_Not_Ed fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 4, 2014

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Tedd_Not_Ed posted:

On this day that we celebrate America :911:

But today we also celebrate the Battle for the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania

Pittsburgh

Vs.

Philadelphia
West side best side since we've done much more in the last 200 years :smug:

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.
What the hell happened with Byrd there?

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Wait, who just got ejected from the A's game?

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

With Gibbons getting the boot so much lately, I wonder if he's been drinking rye before games.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

That was Seitzer, according to MLB

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.
The Phillies outfield in ring one of the circus, ladies and gentlemen

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

poo poo Stromans Really Cool And Owns

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

Holy poo poo guys Marcus Stroman is a really good pitcher

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Gibbons Im glad you agree Stroman owns but uhhhh why is he still in.

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

Quidnose posted:

That was Seitzer, according to MLB

Well Gibby's not averse to sharing at least.

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

Josh Donaldson :allears:

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.
:ohdear: They just took Cole out after 5 innings

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.
Oh god. Here we go again

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
gently caress this twat of a pitcher

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

CHOOOOOOOOOOOOO

vegeta dentata
Jun 16, 2011
The Marlins may not be the team America wants, but it's the team that America deserves.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

perfect game for yu darvish incoming

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
This game is gonna go on forever isnt it

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Joaquin Arias just hit a double. :stare:

Jose Oquendo