Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

i like The Cats of Seroster by Robert Westall, which is a book set in fantasy europe, maybe france, where pussy cats murder ppl and run the country as a telepathic illuminati

there are also men with swords doing manly sword things, and an evil regent dictator, and a crazy priest with an army of orphans who blow poo poo up

Titus Groan and Gormenghast, both by Mervyn Peake, are good if you like fun insane characters and don't mind some over-verbosity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

sether01 posted:

i've heard good things of pratchet and goodkind and have both of them in a wishlist. First i've heard of gaiman, thanks for that

gaiman;s sandman is fantastic if you are a teenager

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

THS posted:

the only other fantasy novels ive read outside of got were young adult novels my ex made me read, like lirael and those golden compass books. they were ok

philip pullman is v bad if u have read anything more complex than a YA novel in your life, but otherwise is okay. same with harry potter.

the Duncton series is also a decent weird fantasy series with strange complex cultures and lots of religious persecution that i liked until i got weirded out by all the incest rape. also literally all the characters are moles

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

sether01 posted:

you have to realize man i LOVED dragon lance. I'm pretty sure that is terrible young adult fantasy stuff. I'm not above it

then u will probably like philip pullman stuff and harry potter series, and gaiman

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Darkhold posted:

What? No Goodkind had a couple of ok (not great) books and about 15 more libertarian masturbation fantasy books. With an extra helping of rape in each book.

They actually could have been great parody books or something but it's all played 100% straight. The 'heroes' by the end of the books are the most creepy evil people that are only good in contrast to the cartoon villainy of the badguy. Yet it's clear the author thinks of them as the most perfect people that ever lived.

Steer clear unless you're just looking for something to make you roll your eyes back in your head every three pages.

i think pratchett first started writing discworld to mock the poo poo out of goodkind

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

sether01 posted:

I have heard good things about discworld, but I don't know if I would honestly enjoy light hearted fantasy. As weird as it sounds I think I would like trashy terrible fantasy that takes itself too seriously over satire fantasy books. I don't know though, I'll definitely have to check out a sample before I make up my mind.

it's cool discworld does that too. like the plots and characters are serious and trashy and there are dragons and murder and poo poo, it's just the narration that is silly and a lot of elements are parodic, like the barbarian horde who are all 70 year olds

i agree that u should give guards guards a go, it's far enough in the series that he's into the groove but it's the start of a subseries so you don't need any foreknowledge

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

after reading the thread moer closely i withdraw my mervyn peake recommendations, they are two of my fav books but probably not what u are looking for

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Xaris posted:

I'll agree with this. Gaiman is loving overrated as poo poo and his only good book was Good Omens and thats because Pratchett and Gaimon somehow complemented each others weaknesses and made somethign really loving good.

he is mindblowingly good if you are a teenager or you like teenaged fantasy but it's mostly because his mentality is p immature, imo

i still think the op should give him a try, worst that happens is he reads a dumb book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

Discworld is a vehicle by which Pratchett satirizes our world. Until he got alzheimers and started writing poop jokes.

the recent ones suck but i suspect it's more to do with him having done this poo poo for like 30 years with no breaks, and getting elderly famous man syndrome, than the alzheimers.

• Locked thread