Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
:steam: STEAM RELEASE! :steam:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp6I7W10IzM

What's NEOTOKYO?

Its a Source SDK 2006 mod that plays like cyberpunk Counterstrike.

Why play NEOTOKYO now?

After years of languishing in obscurity NEOTOKYO has finally gotten an official Steam release. This has done wonders for the player population. In the past there would be maybe one or two servers with anyone playing, now there's a dozen or so. There's never been a better time to start! Also, its FREE!

How do I play NEOTOKYO?

There is seriously a lot to learn and the best course of action is really to check out the developer website where they explain everything in detail. Check it.

But besides that I'll provide a quick overview. The setup is essentially the same as Counterstrike. Two teams, the JINRAI and the NSF, face off in a round based format. No respawning or healing until the round is over. The objective of each map is to capture the "ghost" and bring it to the extraction point on your team's side of the area. There are three classes to choose from: Recon, Assault, and Support. Each plays quite differently and has access to specialized equipment and weapons. As the game goes on and rounds are either won or lost you will gain points based on how you're preforming. As you get points you will rank up which will open up alternate weapon loadouts for each class. These ranks do not persist from match to match and essentially serve as the game's power progression.

Again, like Counterstrike, NEOTOKYO is quite nuanced and until you get used to the little intricacies you'll be dying quickly and often. Definitely take a look at this helpful noob guide cheat sheet.

The music in NEOTOKYO is cool!

Yeah its neat. The soundtrack is available here.

NEOTOKYO goons?

I really don't know anything about any goon servers or steam group or whatever. I suppose if someone wanted to organize that I'd throw it in the OP, but really I just wanted to get a little bit of exposure for this cool game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

It is a fantastically strange game. Great aesthetic, not too sure about the gameplay though. Supports tend to be a tad bullet spongy for my liking, and everyone is a Support.

Dave Matthews Big Fan!
Nov 10, 2009
Does this game have damage indicators yet

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Butt Town posted:

I remember when this came out suggesting that they have damage indicators and was dismissed on their forums as a noob babby.

Pretty much anyone who suggested things to make the game playable received the same response.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
This looks like poo poo, why would I play this if I'm not a broken Japanophile?

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

AugmentedVision posted:

Nostalgia. It was interesting when it first came out but like I said, the devs weren't really receptive to suggestions because OUR VISION and DUMBING DOWN etc. so it fizzled out quickly. Really good soundtrack though.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Is that Mosok still the best gun choice for everyone or did they balance out the weapons?

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

AugmentedVision posted:

They say the music is really good.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

General Emergency posted:

It doesn't even play in game

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Butt Town posted:

If it doesn't that's loving incredible. Literally the worst design decision I've ever seen in an FPS :psyduck:

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

Roman posted:

Nostalgia. It was interesting when it first came out but like I said, the devs weren't really receptive to suggestions because OUR VISION and DUMBING DOWN etc. so it fizzled out quickly. Really good soundtrack though.

How are you concerned about dumbing down a CS clone?

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Tried this out about a million years ago, not too fond of it. There isn't anything inherently wrong with it I suppose but it is just so mediocre. Actually, it was kinda boring iirc.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Fredrik1 posted:

How are you concerned about dumbing down a CS clone?

It's actually pretty dumbed down from CS because the gunplay is just poo poo.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

I remember playing this on release and thinking that it was OK but I couldn't see any reason to not just play CS instead.

I'll give them one thing though - the concept art was pretty sweet.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
The very last thing I remember about this mod, years ago when I stopped playing it because it was a boring, clusterfuck of a CS clone, was that it could have been really fun but the devs had their heads up their rear end and wouldn't change anything. Is this still the case almost a decade later?

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I installed and played it and yeah it's pretty much exactly how it was at launch. There might be some new maps though.

Noun Verber
Oct 12, 2006

Cool party, guys.
Good game.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
The problem with Neotokyo was that you're supposed to be these super cyborgs, but when you actually play it feels like you're more slow, fragile and have less situational awareness than any other comparable military shooter. If every class could leap rooftop to rooftop, tank a decent amount of shots, and had basic hud features like cross hairs and damage indicators, the game would be so much better. Good soundtrack though.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
This game would probably feel a lot less janky if they weren't still using Source 2006

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
It was pretty fun back when it came out. Got some pretty cool maps with nice visual. I particularly liked the rooftop and snowy with a temple on the hill map. I also enjoy playing recon, zipping across the map and shotgunning down support. They kind of ran out of steam after release though. As far as I can tell there isn't any new stuff in this version compare to the one you can just download.

Lazermaniac
Sep 2, 2007
Do not stare into beam with remaining eye.
The art assets and soundtrack beg for a single player campaign.
The gameplay and everything else begs to be put out of its misery.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

I picked this up again after finding it on Steam, and no - so far as I can tell nothing has changed.

Haven't even had a chance to play the new maps, for that matter.

That said - I had a lot of fun playing it back whenever it was semi-popular, though coming back to it now after excessive amounts of CS:GO and other shooters, there are definitely more little nitpicky things that bother me.

The fact that it doesn't look overly amazing isn't so much a problem - but as has been noted, lack of indicators, odd decisions for the hud and other strange features or missing basics do keep it from truly shining.

I love the concept of the game, but the implementation needs work. It is salvageable - but would take a lot of love.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Wow -- I love both the soundtracks for this game and always looked forward to maybe trying ti one day. I had no idea what it was about, except from the music and the screenshots that I guess are just concept art. I thought it was a ghost-in-the-shell esque cyberpunk game with styling graphics that made stuff look blue and neon-y and dusky. The video in the OP is the first time I've ever actually seen it played. It's seriously just a gun-face game with nothing unique or interesting? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tartarus motel
Sep 10, 2006

General Emergency posted:

It's way loving better than it has any right to be considering what it's attached to. I'd recommend the album to almost anyone, the game not so much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-pUXTUXfeM

Here's a playlist for the full album.

• Locked thread