Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
You awaken once more to find yourselves in a wide, circular, high-sided pit, perhaps some fifteen meters across, long with a number of fellow captives. The ground is covered with moist, reeking sand and is littered with broken bones and other detritus. Set into the rusted Metal wall at irregular intervals are spiked and studded iron grates of varying shapes and sizes and flickering lumen globes recessed behind heavy mesh. some six meters above you, the walls of the pit are topped with sabre-like, inward-curving blades and loose coils of corroded razor-wire. Beyond that is darkness from which you can hear the distant rumble of heavy machinery.

Upon waking, the cell quickly realizes that they are all here; whereever they are they have not been split up. There is also about a dozen other individuals in the pit. Most of them are awake and hugging the walls in fear, though two of them are still unconscious, and are being tended to by some of the others. The assembled group seems to be varied; the group is men and women, young and old, frail and well-built.

One man, a rotund fellow with fancy, yet soiled and disheveled clothing indicating a noble, is shouting for help into the darkness above. Near by are two people, a large and burly woman with Guard tattoos is trying to hoist a small teenage boy up the pit with little luck. Lastly of note there is woman that Atella easily recognizes as a Sister Militant from the Order of the Bloody Rose, an old bone in her hand being used as a shiv, her eyes darting back and forth between the grates.

A distant eerie howling begins to issue from the tunnels, getting steadily closer.

Okay folks, here is the map Post your sheets in your first post. Then begin to figure out your course of action. Feel free to talk to the NPCs in the pit, or ask questions about the surroundings or ideas on what to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilootthecorpse
Oct 13, 2010

Konrad "Mercy" Melbourne

The air expanding in Konrad's chest made his ribs creek painfully. The ugly, masked bastards must have lain into him pretty good, but the pain was comforting. If he was hurting then at least he was still alive. His eyes opened slowly and focused on the drab, sandy pit he and the rest of the cell had been placed in. The intention was obvious. The spikes and razor wire were meant to keep them in. The gates would no doubt open in short time to let in some kind of horrible beast or horde of killers. Then up top their audience would watch as they were slaughtered. Ol' Konrad wouldn't go down easy though. There were bone's aplenty in the bottom of the arena, and much like the Sister Militant, he had a good mind to put them to use. Mercy picked up a particularly stout, sharp bit of bone and gripped it underhand, like a fighting knife.

"Ain't no good yolwing for help," he rattled gruffly at the paniced Noble. "They want that. They can see you, even know, and they want to see you shite yerself in fear when those gates open and summ'in bad comes out to open up yer guts." Konrad smiled with a sadistic sort of glee. "Best to stay real quiet, ya? So you don't draw too much attention to yerself."

pre:
BASIC HISTORY
Origin: Hive World -> Volg
Career: Guardsman -> Penal Legionnaire -> Chaliced Commissariat Operative
Background Package: Proven Innocent
Divination: "The only true fear is dying with your duty undone" +2 Wounds

Build: Brawny
Skin Colour: Tanned
Hair Colour: Salt and Pepper
Eye Colour: Brown

Wounds: 13
Fate:  2
Corruption: 0
Insanity: 7

CHARACTERISTICS

WS:  34       (20 + 11 + 3)
BS:  33       (20 + 10 + 3)
S:   42       (20 + 14 + 3 + 5)
T:   43       (25 + 15 + 3)
Ag:  36       (20 + 13 + 3)
Int: 33       (20 + 10 + 3)
Per: 34       (20 + 11 + 3)
WP:  37       (20 + 14 + 3)
Fel: 38       (15 + 20 + 3)

TRAITS

Accustomed to Crowds (Crowds not considered difficult terrain)
Caves of Steel (Tech-Use as a Basic skill)
Hivebound (-10 Survival, -5 Int outside of "proper hab")
Born Survivor
Grim
Institutionalisation (The Acolyte is immune to any attempts to Charm, Command, Deceive, or Intimidate him into acting
against his Inquisitorial masters. If he wishes to act against his own cell or the Inquisition he must succeed in a 
Hard(-30) Willpower Test.)

SKILLS

Drive (Ag)
Interrogation +10 (WP)
Intimidate +10 (S)
Scrutiny (Per)
Search (Per)
Speak Language (Hive Dialect, Low Gothic) (Int)

TALENTS

Basic Weapon Training (Las, SP)
Berserk Charge
Crushing Blow
Feared and Loathed
Iron Jaw
Jaded
Light Sleeper
Melee Weapon Training (Primitive, Shock)
Nerves of Steel
Pistol Training (Las)
Resistance (Fear)
Street Fighting
True Grit

EQUIPMENT

Injector Rig (Controlled by Inquisitor)

ADVANCES

XP 2200/2250

Rank 1 - Penal Legionnaire (0 - 499)

Proven Innocent 100xp
Berserk Charge 100xp
Nerves of Steel 100xp
Resistance (Fear) 100xp
Sound Constitution 100xp

Rank 2 - Penal Legionnaire (500 - 999)

Iron Jaw 200xp
True Grit 200xp
Sound Constitution 100xp

Rank 3 - Chaliced Commissariat Operative (1,000 - 1,999)

Feared and Loathed 0xp
Interrogation 100xp
Scrutiny 100xo
Search 100xp
Melee Weapon Training (Shock) 100xp
Street Fighting 100xp
Intimidate +10 200xp
Interrogation +10 200xp
Simple S Advance 100xp

Rank 4 - Sergeant (2,000 - 2,999)

Crushing Blow 200xp

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
The man's yelling stops long enough to turn to Konrad, "Well I beg to differ. A member of House Tills is not easily ignored!" He continues his shouting for help.

The woman trying to heft the boy speaks up, a small, squeaky voice come out of her large frame, "Too late on that one; think he already shite himself," She grunts as the teen boy looses his balance and falls into the dirt. The boy rubs his elbow and stands, "No use, it's just to high for me to get."

In an instant all the lamps flicker off, leaving the place in total darkness. The fat noble stops his yelling, but sobbing can be heard from one of the other captives, interspersed with muttering and begging to the God-Emperor. After nearly a minute of darkness, the lamps pulse back on; the light they shed seems dimmer than it was before they went out, and they have a slow, almost organic pulse.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Samul

Samul comes to with aches all over his body. Throne, what happened? He sits up with a pained groan and blinks a few times until his eyes focus properly. "Reminds me of home," he says to nobody in particular. The rusted metal walls had a certain familiarity, but the bones scattered everywhere gave the place an unwelcoming vibe.

He curses with a start and begins patting down his pockets. Empty. Empty. Empty. gently caress. He takes a second, panicked look at where he is. Arena, well used, clutter on the walls. Probably we're next to the fight. Samul scrambles over to the nearest wall and starts digging through the refuse searching for a weapon.

There's got to be something better than bone shards lying around. Samul is going to search in a panic hoping for a gun but accepting anything that looks serviceable. Reminder I'm at -5 to everything until I find a gun.
pre:
Samul
Origin: Hive World -> Gunmetal City
Career: Reclaimator -> Outcast -> Outlaw -> Renegade
Divination: "A mind without purpose will wander in dark places." Gain 1 Fate Point.

Fate: 2
Wounds 14

WS:  26     (20 + 6)
BS:  50     (20 + 15 + 5 + 5 + 5)
S:   28     (20 + 8)
T:   32     (25 + 7)
Ag:  32     (20 + 12)
Int: 36     (20 + 11 + 5)
Per: 32     (20 + 7 + 5)
WP:  29     (20 + 9)
Fel: 22     (15 + 7)

TRAITS
Packing Iron - -5 to all Tests if without usable gun
Way of the Gun - +5 BS, +5 to Tech Use tests involving firearms
Caves of Steel - Tech Use is a basic skill
Hivebound - -10 Survival, -5 Int outside of "proper hab"
Wary - +1 to Initiatve rolls

SKILLS
Awareness 
Barter
Blather
Common Lore (Imperium)
Deceive
Dodge
Evaluate
Inquiry
Pilot (Civilian Craft)
Search
Security
Speak Language (Low Gothic, Hive Dialect, Metallican Hive Dialect)
Tech Use +10
Trade (Technomat)

TALENTS
Ambidextrous
Basic Weapon Training (SP)
Melee Weapon Training (Primitive)
Pistol Training (SP)
Unremarkable

EQUIPMENT
None

ADVANCES

XP 2250/2250

Rank 1 - Reclaimator (0 - 499)
100 - Barter
100 - Evaluate
100 - Unremarkable
200 - Tech Use

Rank 2 - Outcast (500 - 999)
100 - Inquiry
300 - Tech Use +10
100 - Security

Rank 3 - Outlaw (1,000 - 1,999)
100 - Simple BS
100 - Search
100 - Trade (Technomat)
100 - Pilot (Civilian Craft)
250 - Simple Int
250 - Intermediate BS
100 - Sound Constitution

Rank 4 - Renegade (2,000 - 2,999)
250 - Simple Perception

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Atella Megehra

Atella comes round with a thought of the foul machine that had knocked them out still in her head, wondering what the hell that thing was. Then a terrifying thought crosses her head and she looks to the cell's psyker. "Mister Lethe, do you sense anything? I fear the thing in the box before we were knocked out may fall within your area of expertise. Could you tell if it does?"

She gets up and grabs one of the bone shards some of the others seem to be holding. She walks over to the sister militant and makes the sign of the Aquila. "Greetings, sister. You've been conscious longer than we. What do you know?" Waiting for the alert-looking sister to answer, Atella looks around the room for anything that might give a hint as to where they are or who captured them.

Initiating conversation with the SoB. Also looking around the room for anything that might allow me to roll a lore skill for extra exposition, and picking up one of the bones to use as a melee weapon. Iloothecorpse, do you want to talk to the guardswoman or should I? I think we should organize the NPCs to the bets of our ability, just in case this turns out to be one of those adventure starts where we take out starting gear off the corpses of our captors.
pre:
Name: Atella Devi Cyrine Megehra
Homeworld: Famulous Protégé
Career: Adept
Divination: 25 (know the mutant, kill the mutant - +2 per)

WS:22=20+7-5
BS:26=15+11
S:24=20+9-5
T:26=20-5+11
Ag:30=20+10
Int:53=25+20+3+5
Per:32=20+10+2
Wp:36=15+16+5
Fel:41=25+16

Wounds: 9
Fate: 2

Corruption:
Insanity:

Skills:
Literacy +10
Speak Language (High Gothic +10, Low gothic)
Common Lore (Imperial Creed +10, Imperial Guard, Ecclesiarchy, Imperium, Administratum)
Forbidden Lore (Inquisition, Daemonology, Cults, Heresy, Xenos)
Scholastic Lore (Chymistry, Cryptology, Occult, Bureaucracy, Imperial Creed)
Medicae
Performer (Singer)
Ciphers (Hetaireia)
Charm
Chem-Use
Tech-Use
Logic
Awareness

Talents:
Peer (Ecclesiarchy, Administratum, Imperial Guard, Academic)
Pistol Training (SP)
Foresight
Jaded

Traits:
Wealth
Etiquette

Gear:
None

Advances: 
Rank 1 (Sister Hospitaller):
Scholar of the Colleges Hetaireia Lexis -100
Charm -100
Scholastic Lore (Chymistry) -100
Simple Intelligence -100
Simple Willpower -100

Rank 2 (Verispex Adept):
Chem-Use -100
Tech-Use -100
Foresight -100
Logic -100
Awareness -100

Rank 3 (Scribe):
Common Lore (Tech) -100
Forbidden Lore (Cults) -150
Forbidden Lore (Heresy) -100
Scholastic Lore (Occult) -100
Scholastic Lore (Bureaucracy) -100
Jaded -200
Common Lore (Imperium) -150
Scholastic Lore (1) -100

Rank 4 (Calixian Xeno-arcanist): 
Forbidden Lore (Inquisition) -100
Common Lore (Administratum) -150

ilootthecorpse
Oct 13, 2010
Konrad Melbourne

Well Konrad couldn't seem to shut the Noble up, but the lights flickering out sure did. The old hiver crouched into a readied position and gripped his bone shard tighter. Wouldn't that just be dramatic, having the baddies appear right in their faces when the lights flickered on? It wasn't meant to be though and when the illumination came back, pulsing like a heart coming back to life, it was still the same group of people huddling in the dirt. "Missed a real good jump on us there, bastards," he mused, mocking his captors. Well, best to have a plan for when the baddies did arrive, and it would be best to have a few level heads marshalling the troops.

Konrad approached to squeaky-voiced Guardswoman. He had his share of visible tattoos as well, but unlike her clean, professional ink jobs his were ragged and faded. The Aquila, skull, and combat knife that distinguished him in the Volgite Guard had been savaged and defaced when his unit was accused of sedition. The bloody red bull head and axe of the Tartarus Penal Legion was bright and clear as day though. "You remember how they nabbed you up?" he said gruffly, eyeing her over for some mark of rank. Konrad wasn't much for preamble or niceties. Didn't have the patience and didn't much care. He just needed to know what he needed to know. "I don't think going up is a might good idea neither. That's where they are, watching. Better bet's to try and lift that gate where the noise is coming from. Howling could be a draft from a way out....could also be xeno beasts," he admitted with a careless shrug.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
The Militant nods at Megehra, "Greetings sister. I don't know much more than yourself. I was fighting in defending the Shrine World of Voluptua in the Spinward Front from Xenos forces. Our position was hit with some sort of nerve agent. Next I knew I was waking up here."

As the Militant speaks, the woman with the Guard Tattoos perks up, "Voluptua you say? Holy Throne my unit originally liberated the world from the Dominate a few years ago! Small Galaxy huh? My unit was heading home for some R and R and refit when we got nailed by some Chaos pirates. spent a few months in captivity before being sold to whomever owns this place."

Just as Konrad speaks to the Guard Woman, one of the gratings in the side walls begins to crank upwards, jamming at the halfway point, revealing a smooth Tubular tunnel about a meter across, descending downwards at a steep angle into darkness.

The Guard Woman then nods to Konrad and smiles, "If you think the ominous dark tunnel that the slowly approaching 'wind' is coming from is the way out go ahead. I sure as shite ain't climbing down the dark howling tunnel. We ain't seen anyone up there, howlin' or not. I'll take my chances up top.

The grate marked with #4 on the map is now partially open.

Izzy
Mar 22, 2010

Gibbering in the void

Jericho

He wakes with a start, scrambling back until he realizes the thing that touched his mind is no longer in front of him. Atella's voice brings him further back to reality, and after a moment, he shakes his head. "I've never seen anything like it before," he says, "And Throne willing I never will again." He shudders visibly, and climbs to his feet, joints creaking. "Give me a moment, I'll see what I can sense." He moves to the center of the pit, pausing to pick up a sharp length of bone and tuck it into his belt. But unlike the others, he doesn't intend to use it on their enemies. The Warp's corruption can reach him even here, and one must always be prepared for the worst. He closes his eyes and reaches for the power within him, expanding his senses until they reach beyond their prison.

Forbidden lore: warp TN 41: 1d100 74. He doesn't recognize the floating head thing.
Using Sense Presence. Invocation TN 41: 1d100 24. +4 to Power Roll
Power Roll Sense Presence TN 7: 1d10 3+8 bonus=11. Automatically detects all creatures within 50m.

pre:
Career Path: Imperial Psyker

Quirk: Aquiline Nose
Home World: Imperial World
Birth Planet: Shrine World (Augery)
Build: Slender
Skin Color: Fair
Hair Color: Grey
Eye Color: Brown

Divination: "If a job is worth doing it is worth dying for." Gain Frenzy talent.
Sanctioning: Jericho's teeth have all been removed and replaced with a set of
dentures worth 50 Thrones.

Characteristics:

WS:  31  BS:  31  S:  29  T:   40 Ag: 34
Int: 41  Per: 41  WP: 41  Fel: 30

Wounds: 12     Fate Points: 2      Move: 3/6/12/24
Insanity: 0    Corruption: 0

Skills:

Awareness +10 (Per)
Common Lore (Imperial Creed) (Int)
Dodge (Ag)
Forbidden Lore (Psykers, The Warp) (Int)
Invocation (WP)
Literacy (Int) 
Medicae (Int)
Psyniscience (Per)
Scholastic Lore (Legend) (Int)
Speak Language (Low Gothic) (Int)
Trade (Soothsayer) (Fel)
Trade (Copyist) (Int)

Talents:

Frenzy
Meditation
Paranoia
Peer (Academics, The Insane)
Pistol Weapon Training (Las)
Psy Rating 3
Sound Constitution x1

Traits:

Blessed Ignorance: -5 to Forbidden Lore
Hagiography: Common Lore (Imperial Creed), Common Lore (Imperium), Common Lore(War)     
  are Basic Skills
Liturgical Familiarity: Literature and Speak Language (High Gothic) are Basic Skills
Superior Origins: +3 WP

Psychic Powers:

Distort Vision
Dull Pain
Healer
Inflict Pain
Seal Wounds
Sense Presence
Staunch Bleeding

Gear: sanctioning brand

XP/Spent: 2250/2250

Spent on: 

Per +5 (100)
Int +5 (100)
T +5 (250)

Meditation (100)
Paranoia (100)
Peer (Academics, The Insane) (200)
Psy Rating 2 (200)
Psy Rating 3 (200)
Sound Constitution (200)

Awareness, +10 (200)
Common Lore (Imperial Creed) (100)
Dodge (100)
Forbidden Lore (Psykers) (100)
Forbidden Lore (Warp) (100)
Medicae (100)
Scholastic Lore (Legend) (100)
Trade (Copyist) (100)

Izzy fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jul 10, 2014

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Rasa

I stand up from my desk. I turn, and walk into my kitchen. There is a man there. His back is to me. He is cooking and whistling.

I walk up behind him. He does not turn around. I reach around his face and cover his eyes with my hands.

He begins to turn his head to look back over his shoulder at me. He stops when his chin reaches his shoulder.

There is a wet crack. His head wrenches further around. The skin on his neck bulges and distorts with displaced bones.

My hands let go.

Rasa awakens in the pit with a cry. She jolts upright, and her eyes dart around without focusing on anything, her breaths quick and shallow.

After a few moments her breathing slows, and Rasa begins appraise her surroundings. A bloodsport arena, obviously heavily used from the detritus littering the ground. The other members of her cell are all present, in various states of activity and consciousness, along with others drawing from the whole spectrum of the Imperium. This detail sticks in Rasa's mind, and she remembers that there were others earlier too, in the darkness. Their presence makes it clear that this was not an specifically attack targeting the cell; they are just a part of something larger.

Putting this consideration to the back of her mind, Rasa moves over towards Samul and joins him in searching the sand. "A good thought, Samul. Perhaps we might find something here to effect our escape."

Searching the Sands TN 46: 1d100 2. 4 degrees of Critical Success, if that matters. Where's my bolter?

pre:
Name: Rasa
Career: Arbitrator
Origin: Mind Cleansed

Build: Athletic
Skin: Fair
Hair: Black
Eyes: Brown
Quirk: Missing Digit (Left ring finger)
Handedness: Right-handed
Shards of Memory: The Shattered Mirror
Divination: “Men must die so that Man endures.” (+3 T)

Characteristics:
WS: 31 (20+11)
BS: 39 (20+14) +5 (Simple Advance)
S: 32 (20+12)
T: 50 (20+17) +3 (Divination) +10 (Intermediate Advance)
Ag: 36 (20+16)
Int: 43 (20+18) +5 (Simple Advance)
Per: 36 (20+16)
Wp: 40 (25+15)
Fel: 23 (15+8)

Wounds: 12 (8+3) +1 (Sound Constitution)
Fate Points: 3/3
Insanity: 3 (Mind Cleansed)
Corruption: 0
Move: 3/6/9/18

Traits:
Engram Implantation (Gain Deceive & Intimidate, and Survival and Common Lore (Tech) count as basic skills. 
Begin with Jaded and Pistol Weapon Training (SP, Las))
Failsafe Control (Implanted command trigger, known by Inquisitor. Equivalent to Dominate Psychic Power. 
If successful, must carry out instructions to best ability. Antithetical or self-harming commands may give bonus to resist)
Imperial Conditioning (+10 to Willpower Tests vs. Fear or Mind Control/Possession)
Through A Mirror Darkly (Start with 1d5+2 Insanity. Rarely, events, individuals and other things 
will cause a Willpower Test (No vs. Fear bouses). If failed, roll on the Shock Table)

Skills:
Awareness (Per)
Common Lore (Adeptus Arbites, Imperium) (Int)
Deceive (Fel)
Dodge (Ag)
Drive (Ground, Hover) (Ag)
Inquiry (Fel)
Interrogation (Wp)
Intimidate (S)
Literacy (Int)
Scholastic Lore (Judgement) (Int)
Scrutiny (Per)
Search +10 (Per)
Security (Ag)
Speak Language (Low Gothic) (Int)
Tech-Use (Int)

Additional Basic Skills:
Common Lore (Tech) (Int)
Survival (Int)

Talents: 
Pistol Weapon Training (SP, Las)
Die Hard
Jaded
Leap Up
Light Sleeper
Quick Draw
Rapid Reload

Gear:
None.

Advances: (2250/2250)
Simple Toughness Advance (100)
Simple Ballistic Skill Advance (100)
Simple Intelligence Advance (100)
Awareness (100)
Sound Constitution (100) > [Rank 2]
Rapid Reload (100)
Scrutiny (100)
Security (100)
Leap Up (100)
Search (100) > [Rank 3]
Scholastic Lore (Judgement) (100)
Dodge (100)
Interrogation (100)
Drive (Ground Vehicle) (100)
Drive (Hover Vehicle) (100)
Die Hard (100)
Light Sleeper (100)
Tech-Use (200)
Intermediate Toughness Advance (250) > [Rank 4]
Search +10 (100)

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Jason King

Awakening with a snort, Jason groggily sits up and rubs his eyes, fighting back a yawn. He feels his aches and pains, but ignores them; if they were intended to kill him, they would have. He blinks blearily and glances around, before hopping up to his feet and dusting his lousy uniform off. With his feral looks and blonde hair, King almost seems like he belongs in the pit; in another time and place, he'd likely be the star of some holovid detailing a barbaric hero fighting for the entertainment of some malevolent being, before ultimately breaking free and defeating him in an exciting battle to the death.

Jason whistles appreciatively, looking around. "Reminds me of warrior bloodening ritual back home; two man enter, one man leave, then other man leave when he wake up." Jason rubs his nose and walks to the edge of the arena, looking up and standing in front of one of the grates. He ponders a moment before turning to Konrad. "Hey! Konrad! We need to get out, yeah? You want give me boost, and I climb out?"

If King has noticed the barbed wire and blades, he obviously doesn't care; it's just something in the way to toughen him up for the real fight, and there was no way his destiny was to fight a roll of barbed wire to determine if he were to become an immortal champion of the God of Man.

Name: Asonkung
Imperial Designation: Jason King
Homeworld: Feral World
Career: Assassin
Build: Strapping
Skin Color: Ruddy
Hair Color: Black
Eye Color: Blue
Quirk: Tribal tattooing
Superstition: Nemesis
Divination: Men must die so that Man endures. (+3 T)

CHARACTERISTICS
WS: 37+10
BS: 27
S: 38+5
T: 35+3+5
Ag: 33+10
Int: 28
Per: 32
WP: 25 (30-5)
Fel: 25 (30-5)

Wounds: 19/19
Fate: 2/2

SKILLS
Navigation (Surface)
Survival
Tracking
Speak Language (Low Gothic, Tribal Dialect)
Awareness
Dodge
Silent Move+10
Climb
Acrobatics
Shadowing
Security
Concealment

TALENTS
Melee Weapon Training (Primitive, Chain)
Ambidextrous
Swift Attack
Furious Assault
Pistol Training (Las)
Sound Constitution x5
Jaded
Pistol Training (SP)

TRAITS
Iron Stomach: +10 skill bonus to resist the effects of toxins, poisons, or tained foods, as well as to passing tests for consuming unusual or unpleasant foods, and resisting throwing up.
Primitive: -10 penalty on tech-use (int) tests and a -10 penalty on Fellowship tests made in formal or civilized surroundings.
Rite of Passage: May spend a Full Action to make an intelligence test test to staunch Blood Loss. If passed, bleeding will stop
Wilderness Savvy: Navigation (Surface) (Int), Survival (Int) and Tracking (Int) count as basic skills for Feral Worlders

ADVANCES 2200/2250
WS +10 350
Ag+10 350
Silent Move+10 200
Sound Constitution x2 200 1000
Acrobatics 100
Shadowing 100
Security 100
Sound Constitutionx2 200
Furious Assault 100
Concealment 100
Swift Attack 200 2000
MWT (Chain) 200

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Jericho tries to tap into the warp, but as soon as he tries, his vision gets spotty and and nausea rises in him. Jericho recognizes the sensation all too well, someone pumped him full of Psyker blunting chems, like the ones used in the Black Ships. There isn't a chance to use the powers of the warp while it's still in his system.

Rasa and Samul spend their precious moments trying to find weapons in the blood-caked earth. No matter how hard they comb the ground, not one weapon can be found. Not only can they not find a weapon, but there is no sign any weapon has ever been in the pit; no broken blade tip, rusty spent cartridge, or long dry power pack can be found. Whatever has happened in this pit, so one has ever been armed for it.

As soon as they finish scraping the dirt, a figure appears at the top of the pit looking down; half hidden in the darkness, shrouded in a dark leather cloak, face covered by an elaborate Heron Mask of polished bone framed by a spray of golden feathers. He cranes his head to the side, neither moving or speaking.

Izzy, you're pumped full of anti psyker chems that last for 3 hours, you can't manifest anything while they're in your system (long enough to last the whole time down in the red cages.

I'll be out of town Sunday night until Wednesday evening, so no updates, but feel free to post. I'll be your time to try and figure out a way out before shite hits fan.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Rasa

When it becomes apparent that there is nothing to be found in the dirt, Rasa gives up digging. Picking up a bone shard, she takes a firm grip on it and turns to face the partially opened gate. "I am not sure we are in a true arena. If we were, where are the spectators? No one appears to be watching us." Looking up to reconfirm this observation for herself, she notices the man in the heron mask. "I stand corrected. We do have an audience." Keeping focus on him, she waits for some sort of movement or response.

Izzy
Mar 22, 2010

Gibbering in the void
Jericho

As he tries to open himself to the minds around them, the others see Jericho cry out, dropping to his knees. It's some time before he can give much of a response as what little he has left in his stomach spills out onto the sand. Eventually the nausea passes, and he's able to stand, though he's far from steady. He shakes his head as if to clear it, wiping cold sweat from his brow with a shaking hand. "It's no good," he pants. "They gave me psi-blockers. I'm no good until they wear off."

ilootthecorpse
Oct 13, 2010
Mercy Mel

Konrad starts to look for the best place to boost up Jason and get at least one of them out of the pit. His dark eyes scan over the edge of the rockcrete walls appraisingly until they cross over a pair of boots. The heron-faced thing had appeared so quietly that he hadn't heard it approach. Then again, enough bombs and bullets had gone off around Mel that he couldn't hear so well anymore anyhow. "Hold just a tick, King. Looks like the show is about to start..." Konrad stands to his full height and squares up to the voyeur, then throws his arms wide, still gripping the bone in his hand. "Well? Whatcha waiting for then? I got the piss runnin' down your leg, eh, scum?" He snarls and spits in the dirt, but never breaks eye contact with the polished mask. "You better be scared. Keep ya honest and looking over your shoulder. 'Cause if I ever get my mitts on you I'll break you...real slow...'til ya can't scream no more. Check?"

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
As Mel begins to aid Jason King in climbing the pit, the Guardswoman states, "About damned time someone else had some sense," and she comes over and tries to aid Jason, positioning him under the unlowered step ladder. Even boosted, the Feral assassin has trouble climbing up the corroded and battered walls. As he grabs a hand-hold, the wall crumbles under his fingers and he unceremoniously lands on the floor of the pit, with only his ego bruised.

As Mel shouts up at the man in the Heron Mask, he makes no movement, nor does he respond to the threats directed at him. He only tilts his head to the side, mimicking the bird from which he gets his mask. The howling draws closer and splits into multiple distinct cries, joined swiftly by the sound of pounding movement. "Yeah, some wind eh?" the guardswoman says, "if anyone is going to climb out of the pit, I think we've only got one more shot at this."

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
I wasn't going up by the ladder. I was going to climb up by grabbing the barbed wire and blades, with my shirt around my hand if it looked TOO nasty. :v:

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Samul

gently caress. Nothing. Samul swears as their search turns up nothing. Those old bone shards would snap at first contact and were more of a liability than anything. Going into a fight without a gun was for suckers and corpses. Samul hoped he was just a sucker.

He looks up at the masked man looking down on them. Probably the guy who ran this ring. rear end in a top hat. "Come on," Samul calls to his comrades failing to scale the wall, "Let's get out of here. I'd rather fight in the tunnel if we don't got guns."

It seemed the only way out was through that tunnel.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Atella

Atella is about to go help with the effort to scale the wall, but realises she's far too short to be of any use and settles for keeping a wary eye and an ear on the tunnel entrance. She wonders what the heron mask might mean. There couldn't be that many organisations that used that specific symbolism.

Is there an applicable lore skill to see if I can figure out anything about who our captors might be based on them having a weird heron motif? I have Scholastic Lore (Occult, Imperial Creed), Forbidden Lore (Xenos, Heresy, Cults, Daemonology, Inquisition), in casy any of those are relevant.

Also, Awareness TN 32 to maybe give us a second or two of advance warning if/when something gnarly with sharp bits on it comes out of the tunnel.

Izzy
Mar 22, 2010

Gibbering in the void
Jericho

"I'm afraid there's not much I can do but follow along until these drugs wear off," he says grimly. He joins Atella near the tunnel entrance, keeping his eyes and ears open.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
The inhuman howling becomes a frenzied cacophony of screams as a writhing tide of bone and meat erupts from the darkness of the tunnel. Struggling and tearing at each other in their haste to reach the pit are a pack of hideous creatures, lean, feral things of jutting bone and red-glistening muscle caging organs that pulse and shudder beneath their transparent, membranous skin. The first one leaps from the tunnel mouth and onto the filthy sands of the pit, rearing up on two legs, tail lashing as its blind, equine skull probes the air around it in search of prey. Behind it, its fellows are caught struggling against the half-open grate, none willing to give quarter and allow the others through ahead for the feast.

A younger man, who was also standing near the vent grate shouts out in surprise, and the creature seems to home right in on the man's shout and begins to tear away at him as he futiley raises his hands to stop the biting. This movement does not escape the attention of Jericho or Rasa who independently deduce that the creature is blind, relying on sound and smell to locate targets. If they are quiet they may avoid detection, or in the inverse, a large amount of noise may confuse the creature.

Okay, combat time. Everyone post your initiative, the actions you want to take, and a combat block. I want to try and resolve a few rounds of combat at a time, so this doesn't drag rear end.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

So I rolled high initiative but being without a gun or weapon and with lovely WS I'm basically useless here. If nobody beats me in initiative I guess I'll just get into melee range to give others that +10 gang up bonus

pre:
09:32	CPS	1d10+3+1 init
09:32	Hashutbot	CPS, init: 13 [1d10=9]

pre:
Samul
WS   BS    S     T    Ag    Int    Per    WP    Fel
26   50   28    32    32     36     32    29     22
Fate:    2/2       
Wounds: 14/14   TB: 3   Armor: 0

Weapons
None, lol

Talents + Traits
Packing Iron: -5 to all tests when not in possession of firearm
Wary: +1 to Initiative rolls

ilootthecorpse
Oct 13, 2010
Konrad

Mercy was a man of action. Maybe not a man of foresight, but certainly a man who committed to whatever came to mind. When the creature leaped out of the tunnel and began to savage the man near the grate Konrad only thought to heft the bone shard in his hand into a better position and then charge. Time to kill some Xenos. Ave Imperator.

pre:
Mercy Mel
34   33   42    43    36     33     34    37     38
Wounds: 13/13   TB: 4   Armor: 0

Weapons
None, lol

Talents + Traits
Berserk Charge: +20 WS on a charge
Crushing Blow: +1 damage in Melee
Iron Jaw: Ignore Stunned condition with a successful T test.
Nerves of Steel: Reroll failed pinning tests
Street Fighting: +2 to critical damage with knives and unarmed
True Grit: Half all critical damage taken

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Rasa

Turning around to the opening grate, Rasa sees the monstrous fusion of muscle and bone emerge from the writhing mass. A sudden shift occurs, as her eyes harden and her posture shifts to a combat stance. As the thing lunges for the first to cry out, Rasa (Today's Lesson, troopers: when exposed to flash grenades criminals will often shoot at whatever makes noise) recognizes the behavior's indication of poor or absent vision. As she closes with the beast and swipes at it with her shard of bone, putting herself between it and as much of the group as she can, she shouts to the other Acolytes. "It can't see! Noise should distract it!"

Closing the 3m to the Spindle-Maw, then taking a stab at it with my bone knife, TN 31. Also using my shout to both try and let everyone know what's up, and pull the thing's attention to me if no one else distracts it too. If we're doing multiple turns at once, continued plan is to try to keep focus on me and make guarded attacks (-10 WS, +10 Dodge and Parry), trying to dodge attacks on me.

pre:
Initiative: 1d10+3 12
pre:
WS  BS  S   T   Ag  Int Per Wp  Fel
31  39  32  50  36  43  36  40  23

Fate: 3/3
Wounds: 12/12 TB: 5 Move: 3 (Standard)/6 (Double)

Weapons
Improvised Bone Dagger

Traits & Talents
Imperial Conditioning: +10 to Willpower Tests vs. Fear or Mind Control/Possession
Through A Mirror Darkly: Rarely, events, individuals and other things will cause a Willpower Test (No vs. Fear bouses). If failed, roll on the Shock Table
Pistol Weapon Training (SP, Las)
Die Hard: Roll twice vs Blood Loss
Jaded: No Insanity from blood, violence or death
Leap Up: Stand up as free action
Quick Draw: Ready weapon as free action
Rapid Reload: Halve all reload times

Izzy
Mar 22, 2010

Gibbering in the void
Jericho

The psyker clamps both hands over his mouth to keep from crying out as the man in front of him is torn apart. But the poor man's sacrifice gave them a key to surviving this: sound. He'd only get in the way if he tried to fight it, so instead he creeps toward the others in the pit, those that aren't leaping into the fray. "Stay quiet," he whispers to them. "The creatures navigate by sound." He tries to herd the non-combatants away from the fight and out of the beast's range of hearing.

Initiative: 1d10+3 9
pre:
Jericho
31   31   29    40    34     41     41    41     30
Wounds: 12/12   TB: 4   Armor: 0

Weapons
Improvised bone dagger

Talents + Traits
Frenzy

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Waiting to give dyne and waci a little more time to post actions.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Atella

Seeing that there's not much else she can do to help, Atella lunges at the beast with the improvised bone shiv, despite her lack of skill with close combat.

Initiative: 11.

Looking at the map it looks like I'm within an arms reach to begin with, so half action aim and a standard attack. 22 (WS) +10 (aim) +20 (ganging up) = TN 55.

pre:
22   26   24    26    30     53     32    36     41
Wounds: 9/9   TB: 3   Armor: 0

Weapons
Improvised bone dagger

Talents + Traits
Jaded

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Jason

Hearing Rasa, Jason remembers hunting when he was at home, when he and his friends had to deal with beasts. The feral begins slapping his hands against the wall and hooting loudly, clapping his hands when he gets away from the wall, making as much noise as possible.

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4604123/ Initiative is 7. I'll get a combat block up later.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
The servants of the Inquisition prove their mettle as all of them save Jericho charge the strange Xenos, while Jericho falls back to the Ladder, trying to heard everyone near it in case it were to suddenly drop. The civilians begin to hug the wall and make their way to the psyker save the Sororitas and the Female Guardsman, who both charge the creature, as well as the poor elderly man the creature was mauling.

The next half a minute is a flurry of limbs and teeth. The Spindlemaw tears into the man, for the most part ignoring the acolytes attacking it. It's maws rip and tear at the man, blood pouring from his arms as he tries to block the creature's gnashing jaw. As it goes about it's grisly task, the acolytes begin to beat and poke at the creature with brittle bones. Atella brings down her club and lands two good strikes, as the Sororitas, who took a position up next to her, also lands a blow. On Atella's second blow to the creature's hindquarters it stumbles and turns its eyeless head to glare at the woman. Before it can change targets, Jason King brings his bone club to bare, and a sickening *Twack* is heard as its skull caves, brain matter splattering everywhere.

Everyone starts to back up until a *Yip* is heard from the grate as the numerous spindlemaws claw to get out. As quickly as it is heard two more of the creatures tumble out of the grate before more of their kind clog up the small grate.

I apologize, it should not have taken that long to post that update.

Okay, you actually managed to kill the spindlemaw, but there are more coming. Waci did 9 damage, the NPC did some, and Dyne did 4 damage while it was in crit and caved in the skull. Spindlemaw 1 is attacking Waci, Spindlemaw 2 is attacking Dyne.

I will be leaving town on Thursday for Gen Con, and Returning next monday, so no update until at least then.

ilootthecorpse
Oct 13, 2010
Mercy Mel

The creatures were savage, but had no sense for tactics it seemed. That worked just fine for Mel and his compatriots. The Xeno nearest to him had allowed itself to be surrounded and now they could overwhelm it with numbers. Best to strike hard and kill this one quickly though. More were coming every moment.

Konrad clutched his bone shiv tightly and lunged with abandon at the monster's flank, putting all of his strength into the thrust.

I'm going to make an all out attack at critter #2. I out to be rolling WS 34 + 30 for outnumbering + 20 for all out for a total of WS 84.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Samul

"Fuckin' thing!" Samul yells as the beast attacks the group he finds himself in. "Get it! Get it!" Samul lashes out with foot and fist at the thing.

Unarmed attack on the spindlemaw, WS26 + 20 (outnumbered) - 5 (packing iron) + 10 (Aim) = 51.
pre:
Samul
26   50   28    32    32     36     32    29     22
Wounds: 14/14   TB: 3   Armor: 0

Weapons
None, lol

Talents + Traits
Packing Iron: -5 to all tests when not in possession of firearm

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Atella

"Get them! They bleed, so by the Emperor we can kill them!" Of course, the spindlemaws would probably kill them long before that happened, but if she was going to die in a hole she might as well do it right. Paying attention to her own stance, hoping to keep herself out of the spindlemaw's spindley maw, she thwacks the creature with the bone.

Guarded Attack against #1. 22(WS) +20 (Ganging up) -10 (guarded attack) = TN 32. Using Guarded Attack rather than a standard attack gives me a +10 to evasion tests for the rest of the turn, so my (untrained basic) Dodge TN is 43 for this round.

pre:
22   26   24    26    30     53     32    36     41
Wounds: 9/9   TB: 3   Armor: 0

Weapons
Improvised bone dagger

Talents + Traits
Jaded

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Rasa

As the new spindlemaws emerge and attack, Rasa shifts and strikes at the one targeting Atella, striking with her bone knife at the sinewy monstrosity. She lets out a yell as she does, in hopes of confusing or distracting the creature.

Moving and attacking Spindlemaw 1, 31 (WS) + 20 (Ganging Up) = TN 51. Just making a normal attack, no fancy stuff.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
The next few minutes are a bloody melee. The Xenos creatures lunge right out of the gate and begin to attack those nearest by, which is the Inquisition cell. The first few moments are tense, but little blood is lost, the animals' hide is tough enough to deflect the meager bone weapons that were being used, and the acolytes just prepared enough from the last encounter to dodge the attacks from the simple creatures.

This formula suddenly changes when the poor man, who had been gnawed on by the first spindlemaw, rises from being passed out, and begins to scream in pain and torment. The spindlemaws, sensing easier (or at least louder) prey, descend upon the man, and before the acolytes can act, rip him apart. As the sound of breaking bone and squeaking cartilage fills the feeding pit, many of the remaining civilians begin to scream in surprise and disgust, making more targets for the spindlemaws. With civilians being mauled to death and running around the pit, it is all but impossible to focus on one target, and it is short work before three more civilians are dead.

Shortly after the fourth person dies the Heron Mask, who had up to this point been standing still, springs into action. He disappears from the view and a brief struggle can be heard from topside, including a gunshot. Shortly after the shot, the ladder drops down allowing access out of the pit. The acolytes and civilians who still have their wits about them scramble up the ladder to the room above. No sooner does the last person make it to the top, does the grate holding back the spindlemaws finally give way, allowing at least a dozen of the beasts to flood the pits and quickly, though noisily devour those unable to escape, before turning on each other.

Among those out of the pit are the Adeptus Sororitas, the female guardsman, and her young charge who was trying to climb up the side when the acolytes began to awake. Up to they find the body of a burly man in badly soiled overalls covered in a patchwork of flayed skin, hide and trinkets, his face covered by a crude breather mask slumped over the blood-drenched controls. His throat is slashed with a cut deep enough to sever his spine and nearly decapitate him.

The weapon responsible for the wound is found next to the body. It is a finely crafted knife with a saint's head pommel. It is pinning the following note to the wall:

Okay, a good GM knows when things are dragging, and no one wants a fight where they don't have anything, so I just went dramatic on it. A quick search of the surroundings reveals the following:

1 mono dagger (the one holding the pinned note)
1 assessor-key
1 meat hook (treat as a dagger)
1 stub revolver with 4 rounds.

I'm going to give everyone a chance now to decide on who gets what, ask questions of each other or the three NPCs with you, etc. Anyone who does not post before I update (this weekend at the earliest, so you've got time) is going to be assumed eaten by the spindlemaws. Gonna try and speed things along here, this is off to a slow start.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Samul

"Grisly," Samul quips of the slain man at the top of the ladder. "Not them, down there," he says, sensing some confusion and motioning to the pit they'd escaped. The moans of the dying and feasting beasts could still be heard. "That'd be really insensitive." He ignores the note and searches the body with a practiced approach.

Samul almost lunges for the pistol when he sees it and immediately checks the ammo count. Six rounds, two of which are spent. Better than nothing, Samul thinks to himself as he tucks the gun into his waistband. "Not enough to do much damage," Samul says of the weapon, "But nice to have if we get into a pinch."

The slummer then checks the body for other useful items. He pulls the mask off the man's face, trying not to look on the countenance of the dead man. People usually wore breathers for a reason, and if the thing still worked it might come in handy. He pats the man's pockets down and find the accessor. "Hello there... Wonder what you open?" he says, twirling it between his fingers before pocketing it.

Samul, satisfied the dead man's body has been stripped of anything useful, stands and notices the other survivors staring at him. "What?"

Taking the key card, revolver and the breather mask (if it still works) because you never know. Maybe Tech Use to see if it's functional?

ilootthecorpse
Oct 13, 2010
Mercy, For Those Who Help Themselves...

When the ladder came down Konrad didn't waste any time. The odds were quickly turning against them, so it was time to go. Mel grabbed the nearest bodies to him and heaved them towards the ladder then nearly shoved them up during his own ascent. "Hurry up you fracking skull jobs! Get up here!"

As bodies came up the ladder Konrad grabbed them by whatever was convenient and heaved them out of the pit. There wasn't enough time though. Soon the bloody Xenos were taking their own chance at scaling the ladder. There were still people alive in the pit, but if he waited any longer the spindlemaws would be among them. With a roar Mel kicked the ladder, toppling it down into the pit, denying the creatures but dooming those left alive. Had to be done.

The grisly seen at the terminal didn't seem to bother Mel at all, nor did Samul looting the corpse. That was just smart work. No, Konrad even seemed a little relieved as he pulled the fine, gilted knife out of the note and spun it deftly around his hand. He didn't know his letters hardly at all, but he knew a good killing tool when it was in his hand, and that felt good. There was safety on the blade of that knife.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Atella

When Mercy takes the mono-dagger pinning the note to the wall, Atella takes the note. "Well, one thing's right, I sure don't trust him." Ignoring the body for now, Atella looks around the room they're in.

First thing, checking for other things in the room. Entrances/exits, crazy cultists, spindelmaws, more things to loot, whatever.

However, before we move out, I'd also like to inspect both the body and the knife (don't worry you can keep the knife, I just want to look at it, and have the psyker look at it), since we're in a mystery investigation game and were just handed a corpse and a weapon.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Rasa

Catching her breath after the mad dash up the ladder, Rasa looks to the note. The sounds and sights of the pit are unnatural, but she feels calm despite them. Something nags at her mind, however. "What is this Widower the letter speaks of? And what riotous carnival?"

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
The few survivors gather around the body, poking at it and inspecting the equipment around it. The Adeptus Sororitas stands silently near-by while the Female guardsman keeps watch. Beyond that the young boy, and two other civilians, a quiet couple clutching their hands together, are all that remain of the nearly two dozen individuals in the feeding pit.

After quick inspection, it is apparent that the dead man is some kind of xenos animal handler. Atella at least recognizes them as likely being a trade ring that gathers up various Xenos from far flung worlds to be used for entertainment in circuses or arenas, but beyond that cannot identify the particular organization.

Upon closer inspection of the knife by Mercy and Atella all that becomes apparent is that the blade is of fine craftsmanship, and the work on the pommel, the small miniature bust of a minor imperial saint, likely took a skilled scrimshaw a solid week to make.

A quick investigation of the two doors leading out reveal two nearly identical hallways covered in filth and lit by flickering glow globes. With no indication of where to go, the team pick a direction and head that way. Wherever they are is a maze, with hallways doubling back on each other, multitudes of barred doors, and collapsed passages.

Finally a door budges, and the survivors enter the room. They find themselves in some disused vault with rusted and dust covered machinery. In the center of the room is a makeshift shrine, the idol on the pedestal clearly not imperial in origin. A three headed idol made of broken bones, metal, and draped in shreds of skin seems to stare through the group. Before the idol is a fresh bowl of blood, and slumped before it is the body of a recently deceased man who appears to have slit his own throat. Less than a meter from the man is a data slate, while on his body appears to be two lamp packs and an axe.

Okay, you find yourself in this little room. You can go "feth this" and back off and leave, you can investigate the body of the man and dataslate, or study the idol further. Not going to go with a majority vote, if one person says they want to search the body while the rest say leave, they will leave while he/she searches the body. So talk over accordingly.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Atella

Despite the idol being clearly non-Imperial and thus evil, Atella resists the urge to immediately shatter it. Even without the psyker, they might be able to learn something of their captors from the shrine and the corpse. She knew she had heard of blood cults, and looking at the corpse tries to remember whether any major ones practiced what appeared to be ritual suicide. She picks up the data-slate, thumbing the activation rune.

When you phrase it like that it smells very strongly of Something Bad About To Happen Right Here, so obviously I'm staying. Going to start with the corpse and the data-slate. So uuuh... Want to flip a coin for me to see whether I believe we're dealing with possession or Khorne worship here?

Picking up and (trying to?) turning on the data slate. If the data-slate turns out to be infested with nurglings or the corpse suddenly gets up and starts vomiting purple fire at us, I will be so mad at the psyker player. Tech-use TN 53 (no way am I staying near the shrine for 10 minutes to gain a bonus from Foresight).

Also, Forbidden Lore (Cults) at TN 53 to see if I recognize the weird self-sacrifice as matching any specific cult's MO, Khornate or otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilootthecorpse
Oct 13, 2010
Mercy Mel

Maybe it was just the guard mentality, but Mel took the lead down the rusted passageways. He made sure Rasa was close at hand though. Sam and Sister Atella had earned their stripes, but the former was a ganger and the latter was a scientist. When the fighting broke out he trusted Rasa the most to have his six. "Can't say I know who the Widower is, but my gut says if we meet him id rather shoot first and let the Emperor sort him out. As for the carnival, well, ain't life all one just riot after another..."

In the next room Mel was drawn immediately to the body. Sure, he looked dead, but Mel had seen some terrible things and a corpse rising up to keep fighting didn't seem so strange. Just to make sure he approached the body from the rear, knife in hand, and made two rapid, surgical punctures: one between the lower ribs into the thoracic aorta and the other just below the ear into the brain stem. Now Mel didn't know what either of those particular things were, but he knew he'd stabbed men there in the past and it killed then right dead.

Next he picked up the lamps and axe. Better to take this place for what it was worth and move along. "Rasa, catch." He tossed the axe and one lamp to the trooper and kept the other lamp in hand. "Don't click that torch up unless you really need it. Don't need nobody seein' us like that. Sister, you see what you need? Best we don't linger. Read while we move if you can."

• Locked thread