Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
double nine
Aug 8, 2013

It's also possible (no reliable source, so grain of salt and all that) that on pc, steam would take over from GFWL. Dark souls has done pretty well on steam so it's not that unlikely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Dooky Dingo posted:

That would definitely make the most sense and has the highest likelihood of happening. They are really the only people with the available resources to do something like that out of the kindness of their own hearts. (and to drive up potential buyers. No one wants to buy a broken game, :dice:)

Lets not make valve holier than they are. They'd do it because it drives customers to their service platform, and keeps them invested in steam. Valve does things because they see money in it. That's not a condemnation on my part, but let's also not paint this picture of valve as a philanthropic organisation.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I got invaded yesterday by an rear end in a top hat with queelaag's furysword and a bunch of toxin weapons so that's still annoyingly active.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Dooky Dingo posted:

This is a good idea and I will tell him so.

Oh, ~Gabe-sama~ :syoon:

You got invaded by Goonther? :v:

I doubt it was geop. Geop iirc doesn't use a bunch of dung pies and poison throwing knives in undead parish

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

blighttown is the one reason why I always purchase a 99 stack of throwing knives: to deal with those drat mosquitoes.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

And quelana (sp?), who only shows up if you upgrade [item] a certain amount and is seriously well hidden for someone with no camouflage whatsoever.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I prefer to think of him as a double agent, pretending to work for the primorial serpent while feeding his bounties to the pale lady.

Still creepy though.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

anor londo is visually interesting but it has a lot of boring walking, a lovely platforming section, a bullshit gauntlet that is disturbingly easy to get screwed by bad positioning and timing, and a great indoors section - if you find that bonfire ASAP.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Dooky Dingo posted:

You forgot the best part! Nerds leaving severely obtuse sexual references using a limited communication system and STILL finding a way to be as absolutely goon-y as possible!
"Try using two hands!" "Great view ahead!" "Excellent Chest" :shepicide:

"best" one I've read is "try a plunging attack".

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Aww man, you didn't get his ring and didn't show off the boss music.

And door frame pretty much said what's to be said about Smough: bloodthirsty cannibal executioner vs badass dragonslayer. There is no contest.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I despise the Sif bossfight. Not because of anything mechanical, but because if there is any entity in the game I don't want to kill, it's Sif. And the game mandates that you do because you need the item he drops to progress in the game. drat you Sif, why won't you let me take the ring?!

Also, the more you learn about Sif's backstory, the more you feel like a total rear end in a top hat for killing him. Even mechanically there is a connection between Sif and a future bossfight but I don't know if I should explain it.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Dooky Dingo posted:

There is no spoilers policy, so go ahead! Go hog wild!

Note Sif's moveset? It's extremely similar to Knight Artorias' moveset. As in, Sif seems to try and copy Artorias' attack styles.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Aawwww, you didn't have a chat/show off Paladin Leeroy, my favorite way of dealing with those wheelskeleton jerks (and the Knight, and the necromancer, and the bossfight).

And you didn't grab the Great Scythe. You're playing this game all wrong :tizzy:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Dooky Dingo posted:

Leeroy doesn't show up until closer to Nito, but the Great Scythe is a legitimate complaint. I've been telling Jotsam the whole time he has been playing the game wrong, but he just keeps telling me to shut up. :(

Nope. You can summon him before the Pinwheel bossfight.

Not the best video, but it'll have to do. Note his damage per hit (he didn't get lucky with skeleton positions, I've seen him kill all of the ground floor-level enemies losing only 30% health. https://youtube.com/watch?v=_-B_jag1pn0&t=23m20s

And he heals himself!

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Dooky Dingo posted:

Oh, sorry, I thought you were talking about his invasion.

Well, that's horrifically disturbing. :shepicide:

The backstory is even more disturbing and tragic.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eJeUG1m6eI

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

If you have activated it, the closest bonfire that is applicable is the daughter of chaos warp location that drops you next to the queelaag bossfight.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

if you're still taking information dumps, follow the blue lights which will send you to a second bonfire, which is also a warp destination if you need to get supplies. You can run past 90% of the dogs without them going aggro on you if you are fast enough - though you need to know where you're going in advance so that's not going to help you here. Also, their aggro radiuses is tiny as hell. There is a good ring if you drop down the ledge near the archer (where the halbert silver knight was), be careful before dropping off (use prism stones?), it's easy to miss the ledge and plunge into the depths. There is fun (and lore) to be had if you get to the end of the darkness area while human - npc invader that drops kickass shield. The Tomb is actually pretty straightforward and linear if you just want to get to the bossfight. From the (undiscovered) bonfire, keep following the right-hand wall. Kill the giant soldier you come across, run past the dogs, keep going until you get back in a lighted area.

If smushy has 14 intelligence, the sorcery store in Darkroot lake has an extremely useful spell for sale for this area.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

bathroomrage posted:

From my experience, the thing about the Tomb of the Giants is that you either utterly wreck the skeleton dogs, or you die thirty times in a row until you pick up some Pyromancy and utterly wreck the skeleton dogs.

or focus on sorcery the entire game long and don't understand what the hell people are bitching about :smuggo:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

bathroomrage posted:

Sorcery is just a rich man's Pyromancy.

Firebombs are a poor man's Pyromancy. :getin:

I disliked doing jolly cooperation in Undead Parish due to the undead horde+channeler combo which is annoying ... until I discovered you can kill the channeler with 2 regular firebombs if you throw them from the altar. Bastard never even gets the chance to fire a soul arrow or do his stupid dance*.

*actually I like the dance a lot.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

The area after the Duke's archives certainly has an interesting ... quirk. Also Duke's is a lot more satisfying if you are using sorceries because you get your most potent spells here.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Dooky Dingo posted:

So, Jotsam brings up an interesting point in the video, and I would like all of your opinions.
He is getting to a point in Dark Souls where he is feeling slightly burnt out by clearly antagonistic game design and was asking me the question of whether or not it gets any better from here.
I'm honestly not sure what to tell him, so what do you guys think?
Is the best yet to come or has the light of Dark Souls finally faded into the past?

IMO all of the post-lord vessel areas are a step down vs the early game highlights, with the exception of New Londo and the DLC area. I also felt drained at this point, the areas are still doable and reasonably fun (except Tomb. gently caress tomb) _but_ we're past the high point of the game. OTOH, I feel that the dlc area is great and I enjoy it almost as much as Undead Burg (while still being difficult). Just one warning: the dlc has 2 really great boss battles, and 1 highly difficult but cool bossfight, and 1 BullShit bossfight.

Do you want Jotsam to have some tips? He should go back to the female undead merchant for ... stuff he hasn't bought yet, and he should go back to the Asylum and trade a skull lantern to the crow for the Izalith area (and possibly Duke as well, but by the time he can warp he's through the area that it's useful).

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

The Door Frame posted:

Oh.....I forgot about the stuff leading up to the bed of chaos..... that poo poo is so annoying I blocked it all out of my memory besides Solaire's side quest. Ummmm..... yeah, that's a hell of a thing to play through. I hope he liked the Capra Demon.

I stand by my recommendation for new londo though

They haven't done New Londo yet? Okay Jotsam, my recommendation: Finish Duke Archives and kill Seath (bleh), go through new londo (yay), then Lost Izalith (bleh) and finish with the DLC (yay). You can switch those around but I think this is a slightly better paced approach.

It helps that the character isn't a sorcerer because the dlc is juicy with good spells, which would make that area a higher priority.

double nine fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jan 8, 2015

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Dooky Dingo posted:

Welp, Jotsam has said multiple times that he's using a guide, so... I guess we'll all find out together! :shepicide:

I'm trying to kill the second-most-difficult boss in the game on SL 1 (that drat monkey), :shepicide: you don't even know.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

holy crap that uchi is just not doing any damage. I don't want to backseat drive here but that was not the right weapon for the area.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Just so we're clear here: the Uchigatana does slash and thrust damage, it being a sword and all. The crystal golems have strong defenses against these. The only damage type that they are even more resilient towards is magical attacks. You really should have used a blunt weapon or a lightning/fire weapon to get through this arena. You're trying to poke a crystal entity.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Mordaedil posted:

Poor Dingo, just a cog in Jotsam's delve into madness.

I can't wait for Manus and Kalameet. It'll be glorious. (hopefully)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

the real enemy ... is editing.

• Locked thread