Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I would put this album above Alpocalypse and Poodle Hat, but below Running with Scissors and Straight Outta Lynwood (I won't try to compare to any previous albums because I never heard them at release). The parodies don't feel dated yet, and they're all recognizable to me so that's a plus. The polka medley has decent song choices. Even if some of them are pretty old at this point, at least they are all memorable songs.

I'm happy to see the return to 9+ minute tracks with Jackson Park Express, though it's not as good as Trapped in the Drive Thru or Albuquerque. It's better than Genius in France or Stop Forwarding That Crap to Me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

The video for Tacky is out and it's really great:

http://www.nerdist.com/vepisode/weird-al-yankovic-gets-tacky-with-pharrells-happy/

I think he's got something that will go viral with all those celebrities.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

ComposerGuy posted:

Even forgetting the actual straight-up parodies, his originals that instead take the "style" of a certain artist or band are often so good that he out-does them (Mark Mothersbaugh once commented that Al's "Dare To Be Stupid" is the perfect DEVO song and he wished he had written it).

Dare to be Stupid is totally a song that Devo could have written. I always thought it was funny that Devo wrote a song called "Nutty Buddy" that featured Mr. Goodbar references in the lyrics, and played it a few shows in the 70s (but never released it). Then Weird Al throws in a line about Mr. Goodbar in his song, and it was likely just a coincidence.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Boinks posted:

I'm just happy that I got to hear Weird Al say 'cunning linguist'. Is that a callback to anything?

He used "master debater" in the I Need A Nap book.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

That wasn't bad but I'm getting the feeling he should have saved Word Crimes for last

Well you want to sell as many albums in the first week as possible.

He's actually on track to potentially have his first number 1 album:
http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6165950/weird-al-mandatory-fun-billboard-200

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I saw the Weird Al feature on Diane Sawyer tonight and it's hilarious that people are still making the "Yankovich" mistake after all these years. Sawyer and the british guy interviewing him did it!

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I didn't know about SCOTS before this album. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

All I could think of during the Game of Thrones song was South Park's lyrics to that song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjzC2DRgEo4

• Locked thread