Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

brick cow posted:

Why did this thread start disparaging Michael Jordan while I slept?

For a couple years MJ electrified a country. Basketball was the poo poo. If you weren't a bulls fan then you weren't a bulls fan because you wanted someone, anyone to beat Michael Jordan. And it literally did not happen.

Michael Jordan was North Korea in North Korean history books. But in real life also.

because if michael jordan played in todays league he'd be clowned on. This is true for most sports.

Athletes are much better today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
some scientists believe that we live in one of an infinite series of universes. That existence constantly renews itself like the systole and diastole of a great heart. If this is true, then there will certainly be another Michael Jordan.

brick cow
Oct 22, 2008
That maybe true of Hank Aaron or Babe Ruth or Wilt Chamberlain or Bo Derek but prime Michael Jordan would still smoke anyone today.

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
remember the bad boys of basketball and how they shut Jordan's ball hogging rear end out?

.lnk to the past
May 3, 2005

psoting while drunk
RIP michael "air" jordan

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

Athletes are Doping is much better today.

Fixed for accuracy.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
shoot it you loving midget.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax
Michael Jordan isn't the best basketball player of all time. If he played today he'd be an unremarkable but good player. All star, but not all NBA.

Jack-in-the-Bach
Oct 15, 2005

michael jordan did the most steroids

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

BigBoss posted:

Michael Jordan isn't the best basketball player of all time. If he played today he'd be an unremarkable but good player. All star, but not all NBA.

lmao

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

BigBoss posted:

Until NBA Necromancers can use their dark magic to reanimate skeletons into replicants of past NBA stars in their prime, such statements are foolish and unfounded.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Look deep in your heart. His most famous play was making a shot over Craig Ehlo, a white guy, and had to cheat to do it. You know I am correct.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Who is Michael Jordan

Is it the guy who wrote the Wheel of time ?

brick cow
Oct 22, 2008

BigBoss posted:

classikkk of the white goon putin the black man down.

Dog Jones
Nov 4, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
mj played his whole career in the east because he cant hnadle the west. lebron is walking the same path. they may as well claim to be the greatest of all time of the d-league, w/ their bitch-asses

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
put the basket higher and see how good any of your precious all stars are

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Petition to rename the sport blackball

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

FAGGY CLAUSE posted:

if were going to call barry bonds the greatest we may as well put lance armstrong on that list

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010
I loved watching the boring regular season games with Jordan and the Bulls.

They would really just goof off the 1st half.

OK now its 3rd quarter, time to win the game, and Jordan turns it up, and they outscore the opponent by like 30.

OK 4 quarter time to take it easy again.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
Is Barry Jordan really gay?

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

The thread's question is pointless. The real question should be if there'll be another Charles Barkley

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp

Dog Jones posted:

mj played his whole career in the east because he cant hnadle the west. lebron is walking the same path. they may as well claim to be the greatest of all time of the d-league, w/ their bitch-asses

yeah who would have thought playing in the west and getting to play 20+ games against scrub teams would make you look better than the east where every team is good enough to win against you

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

lebron james, op

Absalom Baird
Jul 13, 2010
Hitler 'stache

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
A man who got rich and turned into a race and class traitor? Nope, there'll never be another

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

ProperCoochie posted:

A man who got rich and turned into a race and class traitor? Nope, there'll never be another

have you seen who is in the white house?

Your Rain
Nov 29, 2006
All those born beneath an angry star.

Waltzing Along posted:

I got to watch Bonds for 15 years. I've watched baseball all my life. He was the best I've ever seen. I never got to see Mays, unfortunately and I imagine he was a sight to behold. But Bonds broke the game. He set records that will never be broken. Ever. In the modern age. (as opposed to the dead ball records and the ones from when pitchers pitched constantly) On top of this, he holds the two biggest records. Career and season HRs. And he was a HOFer before he even started using PEDs.

As great as Joe was, he had a great defense to hold him up. Steve Young was better. Football is funny but rice scored the most TDs ever and set a standard of excellence that has never been matched. Hence GOAT.

E: clarity

lol your favourite sports person is a fat mexican who abused steriods

DonJNavarro
Aug 16, 2000
I am so smart!....S-M-R-T!

:dukedog:

Hobohemian posted:

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar was better by every single measurable metric than Jordan. Nice to know you're a complete poser though, OP.

He was/is even a bigger jerk!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Don Tacorleone posted:

Who is Michael Jordan

Is it the guy who wrote the Wheel of time ?

He played the black guy in the 2012 movie Chronicle.

The Droid posted:

The thread's question is pointless. The real question should be if there'll be another Charles Barkley

The answer is that you should shut up and jam.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I don't think any basketball teams will match the sheer power '90s Chicago Bulls had with Jordan, Pippin, Black Guy #3, and Rodman. Has any other team managed to have a threepeat, much less repeat the threepeat.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

brick cow posted:

Rice and Bonds, not as much. Look at the 80's Bears or San Fran. Joe Montana was just as good as Rice. Bonds was as good as that white guy in the home run race.

:milk: Barry Bonds has a lifetime .444 on base percentage noob lord

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Copley Depot posted:

some scientists believe that we live in one of an infinite series of universes. That existence constantly renews itself like the systole and diastole of a great heart. If this is true, then there will certainly be another Michael Jordan.

yeah but what are the odds theres going to be a micheal jordan and the sport of the basketball at the same time? its gonna take a while

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
yes, but there will never be another Montell Williams :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hiUuL5uTKc

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Jordan juiced even more than Barrold probs.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Micheal Jordan was HUGE back in the day. Literally everyone, even people with no interest in basketball at all, knew who he was and pretty much everyone who wasn't lame worshiped him as the demigod of B-ball. Jordan is a loving icon regardless of how good he actually was at basketball.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Waltzing Along posted:

These guys:

Michael Jordan
Barry Bonds
Jerry Rice
Tiger Woods
Wayne Gretzky

Are all the GOATs or arguably GOATs.

But there was also
Wilt Chamberlain
Willie Mays
Gale Sayers
Jack Nicklaus
Mario Lemieux

In other words, no. But there will be someone else, someday. LBJ is certainly great, but when you have someone who was obviously the greatest ever and you saw him play a lot, it takes a bit to surpass.

Man I feel fortunate to have seen those 5 guys play a lot and two of them on teams I grew up rooting for.
Too be fair Mario would have surpassed Wayne if not for injuries and getting cancer. :colbert:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
michael jordan was the first basketball player to get a last-minute extension to his final b-ball match and gently caress it up hideously and chances are he will also be the last, if that's what you're asking

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Waltzing Along posted:

These guys:

Michael Jordan
Barry Bonds
Jerry Rice
Tiger Woods
Wayne Gretzky

Are all the GOATs or arguably GOATs.

But there was also
Wilt Chamberlain
Willie Mays
Gale Sayers
Jack Nicklaus
Mario Lemieux

In other words, no. But there will be someone else, someday. LBJ is certainly great, but when you have someone who was obviously the greatest ever and you saw him play a lot, it takes a bit to surpass.

Man I feel fortunate to have seen those 5 guys play a lot and two of them on teams I grew up rooting for.

Bill Russell was better than Wilt Chamberlain.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!

FreudianSlippers posted:

Micheal Jordan was HUGE back in the day. Literally everyone, even people with no interest in basketball at all, knew who he was and pretty much everyone who wasn't lame worshiped him as the demigod of B-ball. Jordan is a loving icon regardless of how good he actually was at basketball.

Jordan is/was an enormous shithead, juiced up like a bitch, and unbelievably good at basketballin'

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

because if michael jordan played in todays league he'd be clowned on.

BigBoss posted:

^ dumbest posts I've ever read congrats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!

Frackie Robinson posted:

Bill Russell was better than Wilt Chamberlain.

hahahahahahaha no

• Locked thread