Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
Honestly, what were the long term plans with Rollins with the briefcase? Lesnar is going to win the title at Summerslam, and you have to imagine the WWE is going to fight to get some extra dates from him in order to allow him to hold the title until Mania. They're not going to have Rollins (or anyone, if he was going to feud with Ambrose for the case) cash in on Lesnar. It seems like WWE had booked themselves into a bit of a corner with him, so I can't say I have any idea what they were going to do with him in the first place.

Still sucks though, obviously, as he's so fun to watch.

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jul 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Thauros posted:

Yeah, the numbers really must be terrible given how increasingly desperate they're getting.

The worst is that they're not trying to sell some awful service. The Network owns and is a really good value and they should be making money off of it.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

LoboLoboLobo posted:

Stone Cold literally held the title for like 3 months before dropping it to Kane for a day and it didn't hurt him in the least bit in the long term. After Reigns takes over at Mania, throw Rollins at him for a first defense.

That is if Rollins is okay.

Wasting the rub someone would get from beating the guy who beat Taker at Wrestlemania on a MITB cash in would be...shortsighted to say the least, if that's what you're suggesting.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

fariz posted:

He cashes it in against Reigns, who beat Lesnar at Mania for the title. Ambrose stops it. Asks if he had forgotten. Shield Triple Threat

Um, this would own actually. Good post.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Tato posted:

Coming out of Wrestlemania, Cesaro was hot and on the cusp of a face turn where everyone would cheer him for big swinging people. Now, months later, he's cold as ice and was dumped by his manager off camera and his former partner, loving JACK SWAGGER, is getting huge pops and turning face. I never would have called that one.

I also really like The Miz Titantron thing because not only does it get him booed for turning off the giant glowing rectangle, but it seemed to actually force people to pay attention to the match in the ring if they wanted to know what was going on. There was actual crowd heat in a Miz/Sheamus match and it was fun!

Favorite moment of the night was Lawler's pleading "Just sign up for the network!"

I actually have enjoyed Miz's return, for what it's worth. He's still pretty shoddy in the ring, but he's gotten better, and he is so much more natural as a heel.

Daniel Bryan posted:

Has it been posted yet that Seth's injury was actually a work? How weird is that.

Are there actual reports of this?

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Well that's great news then! :woop:

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

sunsweet posted:

How did the Eva Marie vs. AJ Lee match come across on television? From where I was sitting, it seemed pretty heatless.

It came across, in a word, bad.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

triplexpac posted:

I can only assume that they're jobbing Cesaro out thinking "oh well he's going to win the IC title so that will make him legitimate again!"

You'd think eventually they would realize that their midcard titles don't give anyone any kind of rub, but here we are with the same booking we've had for ages.

Cesaro, King of Swing, Winner of Battle Royals

Edit: Why wasn't Heyman with Cesaro last night?

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Sigma posted:

That DDT he hit looked legit great, his promo work has been excellent, and he is in better shape than his WWE championship run.

The guy is really trying.

The Miz would be a good guy to throw the IC title on for a bit, I think. He's definitely one of the several guys on the roster who could actually benefit from holding a midcard title. Throwing midcard titles on guys like Sheamus or Cesaro or whatever is pretty pointless.

And I've always liked that DDT.

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jul 15, 2014

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

triplexpac posted:

There are a lot of easy solutions to WWE's crappy booking. Hopefully when HHH takes over we see things make more sense.

Wouldn't be shocked if they planned on continuing the Miz/Sheamus thing through Summerslam. Have Miz win the IC title at Battleground, which would give him a solid rub since he's been off of everyone's radar for so long, and then have Sheamus merge the titles at Summerslam. Presto.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

pressedbunny posted:

There's no way a 40-second video like that cost $200,000, unless they're including Sting's appearance fee in that and WWE are paying out the nose for every second he's on screen, or there was much more to the video which was cut.

Well, they probably also had to pay a couple grand or so for each of the orchestra members, so that likely drove the cost up a bit.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

flashy_mcflash posted:

Not to $200K. It's just not possible unless there's a much much longer extended cut that they'll use for something else. I don't think they'd have paid nearly that much for each of the orchestra people either.

Well here's the casting call. You're probably right. Just saw there was only one shoot day.

quote:

Project Name: WWE “Orchestra”
Project Type: Promo
Rate/Compensation: $650 per day plus 20% agency
Shoot Dates: 06/16/14

Role Role Type Gender/Age/Ethnicities Description/Note

Body double for STING Photo Double Male / 38 to 50 / Caucasian, Ethnically Ambiguous, Hispanic, Mixed, Multi-Ethnic 6’2, 250lb of pure muscle. Prefer a guy with wrestling experience, very fit. HEAVILY muscular. Slightly longer dark hair. Will have a full face of make up on (see attached photo). paying a higher rate as we need a GREAT double for this.

Orchestra musicians with own instruments Principal Male or Female / 18 to 70 / All Ethnicities.

Looking for an orchestra of 14 musicians, all with own instruments – ideally a full orchestra who play together regularly. They will be “fake” playing in the promo, music will be dubbed in. All will be wearing the face paint that Sting is known for (see attached pic). Must be OK with heavy face makeup. Any leads on full orchestras who would love to make some money, would be awesome!! Open to all ages (over 18) and for the most part, people will be unrecognizable.”

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

It's...it's a work? Right? Right? RIGHT? :smithicide:

Edit:

Why cookie Rocket posted:

I just think it'd be more interesting to see the build-up for Cena vs. Taker, as long as it's more in the vein of Taker stabbing Lesnar at the contract signing, etc. Making Taker back into an actually despicable heel again on his way out would be fantastic.

edit: I'm unclear on what "fantasy booking" actually means and if this conversation qualifies please let me know so I can shut up.

Cena vs. Taker would have been a better build if the streak was still in tact, because Cena was the one guy who everyone thought could feasibly end it. I think without the streak, Taker vs. Sting is a more intriguing matchup.

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jul 16, 2014

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Doesn't Taker vs. Sting have the opposite effect though? There's no way they'd have Taker lose two in a row, especially against someone primarily known for his WCW career. Taker vs. Cena...welllll.....I'm honestly not sure who would win that one.

Regardless of how good his career actually was, Sting is a huge draw. Personally, I think Taker would go over, but I'm not so sure it's that clear cut now that the streak is over.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Daniel Bryan posted:

Punk alumni'd

Thanks for the breaking news. :)

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Shima Honnou posted:

No, they were booing it because after the excitement of it being Sting, they realized it was Sting, who could never possibly draw a dime or garner a pop in WWE in 2014 under any circumstance.

This is...wrong.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

I thought it was pretty clear that they wanted to see Joker Sting, and not some boring old retread like Surfer Sting or Crow Sting.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

This was posted on today's Cageside Seats' Rumor Roundup, which normally pulls from the Observer, PWInsider, etc. Is there actually any legitimacy to this? Or just ~WrassleNewz~ bullshit?

CagesideSeats posted:

It looks like if Undertaker decides to come back for one more match, it will be with Sting at WrestleMania 31. That is the plan, if he decides to come back and that's a very big if.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Holy poo poo Sting is 55 years old :stonk:

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

fatherdog posted:

I wonder what the oldest guy has been to main event in a major organization?

I'd assume either Flair or Funk. Hogan/Rock wasn't a main event, was it?

Looking back at WMX8, it's certainly considered the main event, and was definitely A main event at the show. I'd be inclined to count it, I guess.

Flair vs. Michaels at WM24 could be one, too.

Edit: I'm pretty sure the DVD covers for X8 had "ICON VS. ICON" on them, so yeah, safe to say WWE considers that the main event of the show rather than, ugh, Jericho vs. HHH.

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jul 19, 2014

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

The Scorpion Death Drop is the most boring finishing move in wrestling history, so watching Undertaker kick out of that repeatedly would be exciting to say the least.

Edit; I'm mostly just excited for the moment where Undertaker announces he's retiring and they cut to Sting in the rafters pointing a bat at him and that's about it.

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jul 20, 2014

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

They should have had Ambrose and Rollins both come out and then just brawl through the arena for 15 minutes with complete disregard for the outcome of the match. Would have accomplished the same thing and would have at least gotten the crowd into it a bit more.

That was a bad PPV. I can't believe Jericho went over Wyatt clean.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Also, WWE actually used an international tragedy as part of an angle. I'm not sure if I think that's hilarious or just awful and kitschy.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

TheJoker138 posted:

I also enjoyed it, but I would have liked an actual match a lot better.

Also blaming Paige for how they've booked her since coming to the main roster like some people are here is insane. She is essentially female Ceasaro. She's great and could be something really special, but instead they're going to have her do nothing and then give up on her when it doesn't get over.

Cesaro was actually over at one point though.

Ugh, Cesaro, we hardly knew ye. :negative:

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

On another level it would be nice if Bray Wyatt could, you know, win a match cleanly (or win a match at all).

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

chris jericho owns but he shouldn't be winning matches clean against potential main eventers in 2014

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Oh one last thing that's not about business or me being King Positivity I promise:

All they had to do to make that IC Title finish perfect was have it be Bo, not Miz. WHY DID THEY DO THAT THING :mad:

Miz is a more established guy and is not over. He's one of the few guys on the roster that actually benefits from holding the IC title. The IC title would do very little -- if anything -- for Bo, who's already over as gently caress with his gimmick because it rules so hard.

Also they're clearly planning on having Sheamus united the titles at SS. It's better to feed Miz to him than Bo.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

It's better to have someone who can put on a good match so people get their money's worth at Summerslam. I don't think Bo is that guy, but Miz sure as hell isn't. Nobody gives a poo poo about Sheamus and a match against another guy with no heat or ability won't help that.

Miz has actually looked better in the ring since he's come back. He looked solid when he pulled off that win vs. Sheamus last week.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

laylabouncing.gif is actually the best part of this PPV outside of Usos/Wyatts.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

RacistGuidingLight posted:

I hope Bad News Barrett stays injured long enough for Miz to drop the title cuz yuck they have bad matches.

Sheamus is uniting titles at SS

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Also, are people really not bored out of their minds with Reigns' ring work?

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Pistol Packin Poet posted:

What happened to RVD?

He's old and lovely and awful and who cares

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Supreme Allah posted:

I thought he hung in there with the other three pretty well. you're asking if people are bored of Reigns in a match with Cena, Orton and Kane. He held his own.

That's fair, but I'd also like to see him do, like, a suplex or something.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

CapnAndy posted:

I was planning on skipping Battleground because what a boring loving card, and the WWE deciding to send me spoilers didn't exactly help. Any worthwhile matches at all?

Usos/Wyatts was a legit MOTYC.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Yuriy posted:

maybe its because in like 4 hours im going to be watching Okada/Styles and Honma/Tanahashi and Fale/Ishii but that isnt even the best match im going to have seen in a 6 hour period

You seem like a pretty bad poster.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

What the gently caress are Takis anyways

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

:stare:

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

TheJoker138 posted:

I wouldn't be annoyed by them shilling the Network if they weren't so god drat condescending about it and poo poo like the app. I feel like I'm being talked down to every time one of those segments comes on. It's 2014, my god drat grandma knows how to download an app.

It's not condescending, it's just desperate. They just say "please, please, please subscribe to the Network!" and for some reason try to sell it based off of Legends House instead of "hey you can have every PPV literally ever for $10 a month and also save $500/year on current PPV costs."

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Chris James 2 posted:

My posts about it: 2
Your posts about it: 3 and counting

Layla is a beautiful woman and she has nice breasts and that .gif made me happy during an awful show. Let's just shut up about this shall we?

Edit: Also she's 37, I thought she was like 28.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Maxwell Lord posted:

I dunno, I'd say they mention the "Get all the PPVs" thing most often, it's the backlog of content they don't talk up as much.

Right, I was saying they should advertise the backlog more.

• Locked thread