Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Do you like Goon favourite browser-based 5-minute-a-day MMO Urbandead, but wish it involved more flaming chainsaws? Would you like to kill an angel with a pool cue? Do you really like making pubbies angry while being as totally loving metal as an ugly 2D browser game will allow?

Meet Nexus Clash.

A reincarnation of an older game called Nexus War, it's based around an apocalyptic battle between heaven, hell and also wizards. There's a bunch of different Planes of Reality, but to start with the only one that matters is Valhalla. Thanks to :science: SCIENCE :science: that allowed them to cleave rooms-inside-rooms called Pocket Spaces, it survived the apocalypse but now it's beset by forces from above and below. The goon Stronghold is located inside a pocket space, inside the island's sole military base.

WHY ARE WE PLAYING?

Over the last few years, the userbase of this game has stagnated. It was pretty fun while it was in full swing, but it's slowly dying. Our goals are threefold:

1) Save the Nexus
2) Annoy the everloving poo poo out of the Nexus' awful sperglord admin. Badger can go more into detail about his exploits, but they're loving hilarious and terrible.
3) Annoy the everloving poo poo out of the Nexus' awful sperglord userbase who, when asked how to save the game, said this:

because they're scared we might interrupt their furry RP angel lovefest. We are going to interrupt the hell out of their furry RP angel lovefest. The potential for pubbie tears is even greater than Urbandead, and we feel the need to exploit this untapped resource.

Also, we want to rock out and be metal as all hell.

WAIT STRONGHOLD WHAT'S THAT?

Protected by magical wards and poo poo, the Stronghold is our base of operations. It's located inside the military base at 32, 21. Go inside the building, then go inside the training ground, then look for the house with the little castle on it and come inside. Try not to feed the zombies.

Healers and crafters should make a beeline for it, fighters would probably be better served wandering around Valhalla beating poo poo up. We tend to shout out targets in IRC and sometimes in the organisation thread.

OK COOL I'M IN BUT I'M STILL CONFUSED

Come talk to us!

IRC is #agentsofgoon on synIRC. As of July 15th, Mibbit is experiencing technical difficulties. Pidgin is still working fine.

The organisation is here. We're currently working on a newbie guide, which should be up shortly. A more comprehensive guide to leveling and classes can be found on the first page. That's the place to hit up once you're more settled. For now: any questions, ask in this thread. If it's imminently urgent, hit up IRC.

Now c'mon, let's go punch some angels in their loving teeth.

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jul 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Why should I play this ugly game?

TL;DR: The admin and userbase is composed of insufferable passive-aggressive spergs who will throw an absolute fit when we knock over their sandcastle.

A:The playerbase is composed of people who want nothing more than to sit in place and grind while roleplaying about being huggy animals. Furries:

quote:

- John Machen said, "Oh, look! We have two otters now! Aren''t they both adorable!" (2012-04-11 13:12:32).
- an adorable otter bounces happily! (2012-04-11 13:13:42).
an adorable otter bounces around the stronghold, checking all the pretty people for injuries. (2012-04-11 20:28:41).
- a playful otter scampers over and enthusiastically *otter-huggles* an adorable otter. Hooray! Otter power is increasing! (2012-04-11 20:35:19).
- an adorable otter giggles and falls over! Yay Otter-power! (2012-04-11 20:35:58).
- a playful otter dives into the otter pool and swimswimswims (2012-04-11 20:36:18).
- a playful otter climbs back out and runsrunsruns in happy circles and dives into the pool and swimswimswims and climbs out again! (2012-04-11 20:36:54).

Weeaboo furries:

quote:

Konnichiwa, Elysium! It's me, Kitsune, your friendly neighborhood gun-fox of the Demons Next Door!

Tired of the dreary surroundings of Gehenna, we have moved on to better and brighter things, and the lovely, sunny grasslands of Elysium seemed to be the perfect place for us! There's plenty of room for foxes to frolic freely in the fields, and angels readily available to make tea out of their blood.

Alice Newbury-sensei says that all these bad mages need to be shot. And I'm not all that clear on what's really so bad about mages, but they're nice and squishy and spurt blood everywhere, which makes me happy, aside from the fact that it's a real pain to get out of my fur afterward.

Now, I don't know what that mage Sparky has planned, but I don't know why I should listen to him anyway, because he's mean and makes fun of me. I can't believe he mistook me for a cat! A cat of all, things, can you imagine? I am not some filthy, flea-bitten feline with delusions of grandeur. I am a mighty and beautiful fox, the greatest of all creatures! No mere cat could ever hope to compare! So, don't tell Sparky, but I'm plotting to shoot him in the face repeatedly and overthrow the tyrannical Corruptor's reign over the Demons Next Door.

"Unicorn enthusiasts:"

Whatever this is:

quote:

I really like your stories! They're as good as those fish I caught the other day when I was out on patrol for the EUPD. Mmmmm! It's sad though that there's no other dolphins in the Force, as my echolocation skills have gotten VERY rusty.

Okay, I can't take anymore. If you think they love roleplaying animal cuddlepiles, they absolutely hate said roleplay being interrupted. By us killing them, driving them from their homes and swarming them with zombie hordes. And the tears are delicious.

B: The game admin is a horrendous human being who treats the game like his personal fiefdom. Where do I begin? Well, who is he?

quote:

<Teksura> I am James Alan Diaz, a gamer and self proclaimed "Evil Genius", I may be ever so slightly mad, I may be a bit odd, but one thing that nobody gets away with calling me, is a cheat
This is the guy who was cheating in his own game thanks to his circumvention of the normal character limits. Well, it doesn't stop there of course. He bans people for insulting his characters, bans people for playing the game any way he deems inappropriate, all the while giving himself arbitrary bonuses. Again, in a game where he already controls a huge part of the population. This is why 30% of the userbase quit over his poo poo. This game is his life, and we are going to ruin it.

Okay, enough of the game drama. Back to his personal ethics: he made an announcement to the internet the instant he lost his virginity. With his girlfriend in the same chatroom. Yeah. Can't also forget his freewheeling hate of gay marriage. Or his general attitude. This is someone who dropped out of community college:

Teksura posted:

Its depressing to see that I am of a dying breed, and that the human race is slowly rotting away into the dim witted sheep of tomorrow.
And the remaining playerbase is composed mostly of those who agree with him (said furry roleplayers). He even wears a fedora.

Decoy Badger fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jul 20, 2014

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
BASIC NEWBIE poo poo:

WHAT THE gently caress MAN WHAT DO I DO?

Join up, create a character, and start leveling up. Join The Knights of L Ron Hubbard. You can have three characters, but only one in a single faction.

There are a few ways to level.

1) Murder. Take a combat skill, find some chumps, beat their face in. Killing gets you xp fast, but there aren't that many targets wandering around these days. There's roaming NPC zombies but they'll probably beat your rear end until you hit level 6-7. You can tangle with them if you want but we warned you'll probably die. Starting Skills: Ranged Combat, Melee Combat or Hand-to-hand.

2) Healing. Find a hospital or pharmacy, search until you've got a bunch of First Aid Kits, then come find us in our stronghold. We've got a minor zombie problem going on, and everybody is pretty beat up right now. If you come to the stronghold, prepare to run through a gauntlet of undead. Healing is probably the best way to power level. Try to grab surgery at level 3 and you'll save a lot of time and level up like a motherfucker. Starting Skills: First Aid.

3) Crafting. The stronghold is right next to a factory, which is great for finding crafting ingredients. Perhaps a slower way to level, but a lot more steady and reliable since you're not waiting around for other people. Starting Skills: Repair Item.

4) Reading books. We're nowhere near a library, so you might want to join another faction like The Pirates of Rlyeth until you've got some more levels behind you. Slow, but reliable. Good for spellcasters in training, since you'll find alchemy recipes and spellgems lying around too. Starting Skills: Search.

5) Lockpicking, destroying doors, fixing doors, enabling/disabling generators. Slow as gently caress, boring, used as a last resort. Starting Skills: Engineering.

Regardless of what you choose to do, you'll die. A lot. We're doing our best to reduce the Level 1-10 grind by providing a ton of healing opportunities, but there's only so many of us right now. Don’t worry if you die a lot: respawn costs for low-levels are almost nothing.

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jul 16, 2014

simple
Apr 11, 2007
I parked a couple of alts inside the building right next to our current stronghold for any goons looking for easy experience points.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
If you would like some more insight into the minds of the pubbies we're fighting against, please check out the webcomic You Search And Find Nothing. It has anime hair, kittens and the word 'cuddle' used far more times than I am comfortable with.

This is your enemy:

This game includes both Flamethrowers and Furry Roleplayers. You do the math. You can fill an SMG with acid bullets then spray a room with it, or summon a giant fire-whip and beat somebody to death with it, or summon a horde of zombies that can act as walking meatshields. You can have a holy electric chainsaw arm, or a magical tiger tattoo that turns into a magical tiger, or tear open a wormhole through time and space that the entire goon clan can pile through and instantly appear at an enemy's doorstep. You can do all sorts of fun poo poo: the skill tree is incredibly varied, and very few characters are going to be entirely alike and all of them are going to be good at murdering terrible internet people.

The mechanics are actually really fun, but nobody is using them, instead choosing to sit around emoting to each other. We are going to change that.

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jul 19, 2014

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Do you like Goon favourite browser-based 5-minute-a-day MMO Urbandead, but wish it involved more flaming chainsaws? Would you like to kill an angel with a pool cue? Do you really like making pubbies angry while being as totally loving metal as an ugly 2D browser game will allow?

Meet Nexus Clash.

A reincarnation of an older game called Nexus War, it's based around an apocalyptic battle between heaven, hell and also wizards. There's a bunch of different Planes of Reality, but to start with the only one that matters is Valhalla. Thanks to :science: SCIENCE :science: that allowed them to cleave rooms-inside-rooms called Pocket Spaces, it survived the apocalypse but now it's beset by forces from above and below. The goon Stronghold is located inside a pocket space, inside the island's sole military base.

WHY ARE WE PLAYING?

Over the last few years, the userbase of this game has stagnated. It was pretty fun while it was in full swing, but it's slowly dying. Our goals are threefold:

1) Save the Nexus
2) Annoy the everloving poo poo out of the Nexus' awful sperglord admin. Badger can go more into detail about his exploits, but they're loving hilarious and terrible.
3) Annoy the everloving poo poo out of the Nexus' awful sperglord userbase who, when asked how to save the game, said this:

because they're scared we might interrupt their furry RP angel lovefest. We are going to interrupt the hell out of their furry RP angel lovefest. The potential for pubbie tears is even greater than Urbandead, and we feel the need to exploit this untapped resource.

Also, we want to rock out and be metal as all hell.

WAIT STRONGHOLD WHAT'S THAT?

Protected by magical wards and poo poo, the Stronghold is our base of operations. It's located inside the military base at 32, 21. Go inside the building, then go inside the training ground, then look for the house with the little castle on it and come inside. Try not to feed the zombies.

Healers and crafters should make a beeline for it, fighters would probably be better served wandering around Valhalla beating poo poo up. We tend to shout out targets in IRC and sometimes in the organisation thread.

OK COOL I'M IN BUT I'M STILL CONFUSED

Come talk to us!

IRC is #agentsofgoon on synIRC. As of July 15th, Mibbit is experiencing technical difficulties. Pidgin is still working fine.

The organisation is here. We're currently working on a newbie guide, which should be up shortly. A more comprehensive guide to leveling and classes can be found on the first page. That's the place to hit up once you're more settled. For now: any questions, ask in this thread. If it's imminently urgent, hit up IRC.

Now c'mon, let's go punch some angels in their loving teeth.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."
I made 2 characters. It seems like it will be kind of hard to grief, though, what with how few people play the game?

Orv
May 4, 2011

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

I made 2 characters. It seems like it will be kind of hard to grief, though, what with how few people play the game?

It's one of them thar low(ish) investment, high reward scenarios. Log in occasionally, slaughter a den of pubbies, observe forums carnage when they next log in to roleplay.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
To get a better idea of how vulnerable the game is to us, consider that:

The lead programmer did not know what OOP (object oriented programming) is. Seriously. For reference, we're in Breath 3. Breath 4 has been in the works for over 2 years.

quote:

Breath 4 code uses a lot of MVC and Object-Oriented programming concepts; previous breaths didn't (I know! I know! It's the problem with being self-taught that I didn't know what I was doing when I started out!)

Everything is currently hardcoded in a single function. They can't even fix typos without recompiling the entire game! The "Attack" bit is 6009 lines long!!

All admin tools to prevent abuse are 100% manual. Even finding your character name is a 6-step process that is done entirely by hand. Admins have to investigate every complaint, perform any action, like any other player. And there's only 2 admins, with one being a total shitheel. It is very easy to overwhelm them.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009

quote:

Konnichiwa, Elysium! It's me, Kitsune, your friendly neighborhood gun-fox of the Demons Next Door!

Tired of the dreary surroundings of Gehenna, we have moved on to better and brighter things, and the lovely, sunny grasslands of Elysium seemed to be the perfect place for us! There's plenty of room for foxes to frolic freely in the fields, and angels readily available to make tea out of their blood.

Alice Newbury-sensei says that all these bad mages need to be shot. And I'm not all that clear on what's really so bad about mages, but they're nice and squishy and spurt blood everywhere, which makes me happy, aside from the fact that it's a real pain to get out of my fur afterward.

Now, I don't know what that mage Sparky has planned, but I don't know why I should listen to him anyway, because he's mean and makes fun of me. I can't believe he mistook me for a cat! A cat of all, things, can you imagine? I am not some filthy, flea-bitten feline with delusions of grandeur. I am a mighty and beautiful fox, the greatest of all creatures! No mere cat could ever hope to compare! So, don't tell Sparky, but I'm plotting to shoot him in the face repeatedly and overthrow the tyrannical Corruptor's reign over the Demons Next Door.

gently caress THIS GAME AND gently caress THOSE WHO PLAY IT

Spyde
Mar 3, 2004

It's not personal, it's strictly business.

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

I've only been playing for a week or so but I have two characters in other factions and there's definitely enough people around to cause some havoc. You can raid other faction strongholds and whatnot too so there's plenty of potential for goons there.

Decoy Badger posted:

Everything is currently hardcoded in a single function.
Also that is pretty hilarious.

Orv
May 4, 2011
This game could be incredible. Tales from IRC;

So
""...Man, it would be so easy to kill you for the XP... Ugh, gently caress me and my nice guy attitude. C''mere mate, let''s patch you up a bit""
Who has healed me from some other random beating me mostly to death
...In a gun store
I have 40AP, let's see if I can find a gun and shoot him dead before I run out
Ding ding ding
-You attack Taldin LaMaunte with your Double-Barrelled Shotgun and hit for 9 points of piercing damage. Your weapon is now out of ammunition. You gain 9 XP. This was enough to kill them! You gain an additional 2 Experience Points! (2014-07-21 05:11:48)

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Well, something happened and the game is down!

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Nexus War was pretty cool when I played it 7 years ago or whatever. Wasn't the admin of that some super chill metalhead? How'd the game (or concept) end up here?

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Aesculus posted:

Well, something happened and the game is down!

quote:

From: Nexus Clash It is with a heavy heart that we had to shut down the game for maintenance just now. Attempting to access the game will give an error saying it is only available to admins. Let me be the first to say that this sucks. The short version which I am able to talk about right now is that "someone" found a pretty nasty database exploit. And rather than, you know, telling the administration team, he chose to casually abuse it for months by editing his character with it to grant himself AP and MP. If we had just been told about it when it first came up we probably could have quietly fixed it and that would have been the end of that. But he kept going until he accidentally set the morality of all characters to 7371 in an attempt to modify one of his characters. So now we have several problems. One problem is we have to close the exploit. Then we have the issue where everyone's morality is all wrong. The latter is possible to sort of fix by rolling back everyones morality scores to the most recent database backup. This means many people will have a different score from what they should have. The former might... Take some time. Unfortunately, we don't have a timeframe yet. the forum will remain up while we are working on this. Future updates can be found in the announcements forum, and another email will be sent out when we have things open again. Once more, I am sorry for the inconvenience. - Nexus Clash Staff ========================================================= You're receiving this email because you're a registered user of . We hope that this email didn't disturbed you and in some manner contributes to improve our services.
For anybody who can't follow the jargon, some guy was giving himself infinite power and it took them months to catch on.

Count Uvula posted:

Nexus War was pretty cool when I played it 7 years ago or whatever. Wasn't the admin of that some super chill metalhead? How'd the game (or concept) end up here?
It was! He was also pretty on the ball with his coding. Unfortunately, he's left and been replaced by his idiot sperglord forum admin who has no idea how to code.

Also, in case anybody missed the ridiculously hilarious drama that happened earlier this week:

1) an angelic faction called Murder Inc got raided and wiped out.
2) they respawned and decided to relocate their Stronghold 1 tile to the right. This meant that a bunch of people were left sitting overnight in a tile that didn't have any protection around it.
3) another angel wanders in and kills some of the Evil Morality Murder Inc characters. This is totally allowed within the game rules, and in fact is what combat angels are supposed to do.
4) That angel's faction proceed to bug the gently caress out, kickban the offending angel, do a huge teary/sweary diatribe about how Murder Inc are assholes BUT GUYS WE HAVE A CODE OF CONDUCT AND HE BROKE IT. WE PROTECT THE INNOCENT AND DEFEND THE WEAK AND HE KILLED SOMEBODY THAT'S TOTALLY NOT ON, WHAT IF PEOPLE COME AND KILL US NOW.
5) I Ctrl+Ved their leader's entire hilarious screed into the Murder Inc chatbox.
6) I get kickbanned from the faction and sent a message about how "I like you, but you crossed the line and I'm sorry but I really have to do this for the good of the faction."

Since my ctrl+V happened across two different characters, to figure out who I was they would've had to PM the game admins. I really want to see that PM, because if it's half as teary as the rest of the poo poo he said it'll be hilarious. I can almost feel the dude weeping tears of rage through his monitor. I hope I can grab all the text when the game goes back up.

applebane
Jun 5, 2011

Count Uvula posted:

Jorm ( the super chill metalhead) got a job as a programmer with some company which ment he couldnt work on nexus war while employed by them or they could claim ownership or some such. bob (original nexus clash owner) got permission for Jorm to use the assets and created the clash spinoff.

Bob eventually got over his head and "hired" some others to help him, one being the rear end in a top hat admin. Bob presence slowly faded and rear end in a top hat had free reign, being both gatekeeper and faction leader; he was eventually caught cheating and outed by players and the person who actually ran the server the game was on (not Bob).

Bob actually came back and rode to his defense pretty much ignoreing all complaints about him. Not long after Bob posted that he was leaving nexus clash and the badmin was taking over.

I am ashamed I actually knew all this without looking it up....

applebane
Jun 5, 2011

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

For anybody who can't follow the jargon, some guy was giving himself infinite power and it took them months to catch on.

And they only caught on because he screwed up badly while messing with one of his characters, if he had not, they still would not know!

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
aaaaand we're back. I'm genuinely surprised at how little time it took them to fix the bug. Maybe Tek is good for something after all.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Count Uvula posted:

Hey I vaguely remember this game.

I remember attending some in-game wedding and I got kicked out halfway through for making fun of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
I will never play dumb browser games, but please keep these stories coming because they've all been great reads :allears:

• Locked thread