Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Alucard posted:

But also for bicyclists who want to share the road but ignore stop signs.

There's no rational reason for a mandatory stop at stop-signs for bicycles. Bicyclists don't operate a multi-ton vehicle imposing huge blind spots.

No mandatory stops for bicycles (stop sign turns into a yield sign for bicyclists) reduce accidents. Get educated.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jul 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Alucard posted:

But also for bicyclists who want to share the road but ignore stop signs.

This is the type of thing automobidiots complain about.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

JerryLee posted:

they should probably stop at red traffic signals though since there will be cars going through in the other direction. I mention this because I have seen cyclists completely no sell a red signal and literally laugh at the motorists who honked at them because they, you know, expected to be able to go through their green signal with zero risk of running over an rear end in a top hat cyclist.

Cyclists might not have blind spots and be able to stop on a dime but that doesn't mean that all cyclists are decent, competent human beings who will use them and will stop, respectively.

I agree with you, bicyclists shouldn't run red lights. I just think (and evidence backs this up) that reducing speed and watching the road (and yielding appropriately) is sufficient for bicyclists encountering a "Stop" sign.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

TerminalSaint posted:

The great thing about being a cyclist is that you can pretend to be a pedestrian, a motor vehicle, or neither depending on what's most convenient at the time. You can also get angry/indignant at pedestrians and motor vehicles for not bending to your every whim.

Stop being so angry. Guess what, a bicycle is neither: In my opinion, cyclists shouldn't cycle on pedestrian walkways and sidewalks (I have no problem with laws forbidding this), but not all road rules that apply to cars need to apply equally to bicycles (see: stop signs).

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

saigon_15 posted:

I say every bicyclist should take their little toy of the streets and run it round the playground where it belongs.

"I'm morbidly obese and need to ruin the earth with my two ton steel death machine to experience any semblance of self-worth"

• Locked thread