Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Redneck Rampage is a game about beer and pork rinds and responsible gun ownership. Aliens are also involved.

Released in 1997 for the PC, developed by Xatrix entertainment (who then became Grey Matter, the studio responsible for Return to Castle Wolfenstein) and published by Interplay (who died and broke my heart), Redneck Rampage is I guess one of those tongue-in-cheek offensive FPS games along the same lines as Shadow Warrior and Duke Nukem 3D. In fact, the game was built on a modified version of the Duke3D engine.

It's ugly, it plays like poo poo, and calling it "fun" is generosity that even my Canadian heart cannot bear, but there's something about it that makes me feel that all is right in the world.

A lot of that has to do with the soundtrack. Featuring excellent Psychobilly acts like the Reverend Horton Heat, Beat Farmers, and Mojo Nixon, it adds a sense of speed and balls-out fun to an otherwise unremarkable shooter. However, with no volume options and only about seven tracks that queue up randomly at the start of each of the game's fourteen levels, that can tend to get a bit repetitive. That said I'll be using them sparingly as background music during moments of editing.

As for the LP itself, this is my first time through the game, so please join me as together we discover the majesty and splendour of Arkansas.

Change 'a plans yew yankee shitlickers! This moose-humpin toilet cleaner thinks I'm gonna gently caress up some aliens without some proper mood music? Scoot yr rat over the banners and give mah drat 8-track a good kick 'til it spits out some fuckin badass musical accompaniment.

Act 1: Outskirts

Episode 1: Taylor town. Recommended listening: Dick in Dixie by Hank Williams III (recommended by King Vidiot)

Episode 2: Lumberlands. Recommended listening: Johnny Remember Me by The Meteors (recommended by Juvenalian.Satyr)

Episode 3: Junkyard. Recommended listening: Redneck Rampage by Mojo Nixon (recommended by Cuddlechunks)

Episode 4: Trailer Park. Recommended listening: Skulls by The Crimson Ghosts (recommended by NinetySevenA)

Episode 5: DairyAir Farms. Recommended listening: Smell the Bacon by The Red Elvises (recommended by Bobbin Threadbare)

Episode 6: Sewers. Recommended listening: The Shallow End of the Gene Pool by Austin Lounge Lizards (recommended by Bruceski)

Episode 7: Smelting Plant. Recommended listening: Call It What You Will by Larry and his Flask (recommended by AltaBrown)

Act 2: Downtown

Episode 8: Downtown. Recommended Listening: Vixen by Cement Pond (from the Soundtrack)

Episode 9: Nut House. Recommended Listening: Baby's Liquored Up by Country Dick Montana and the Beat Farmers (from the Soundtrack)

Episode 10: J. Cluck's. Recommended Listening: Daddy by Casualties of Cool (recommended by Zeikier)

Episode 11: The Ruins. Recommended Listening: Thunderstruck by Steve'n'Seagulls (recommended by Cooked Auto)

Episode 12: Grimley's Mortuary. Recommended Listening: Magic Toy Missing by Meat Puppets (recommended by Danger-Pumpkin)

Aw shoot looks like ya get enough durn good ol' boys 'n gals in one place and sure enough shaggy dog stories start flyin like Alabama skeeters. Here's sum'n mah favourites.

The Ah-ronicly named CityBeatnik spat a wad 'a phlegm 10 feet before sharin this lil chestnut

citybeatnik posted:

Larry Lobster and Sam Clam where best friends. They did everything together. The only difference between them is that Larry was the nicest Lobster ever and Sam, well lets just say he was not so good.
Larry and Sam did so much together that they even died together.

Larry went to heaven and Sam went to hell.

Larry was doing well in heaven and one day St. Peter came up to him and said, "Larry, you know you are the nicest clam we ever had up here. Everyone likes you but you seem to be a bit depressed.

Tell me what is bothering you, maybe I can help."

Larry said, "Well, don't get me wrong Pete, I like it up here and everything, but I really miss my good friend Sam Clam. We used to do everything together and I really miss him a lot."

St. Peter looked at Larry with pity and said to him, "I tell you what, I can arrange it so that you can go down to hell tomorrow and visit Sam all day. How would that sound?"

This made Larry very happy and he got up bright and early the next morning and grabbed his wings, his harp, and his halo and got in the elevator to hell. When the doors opened he was met by Sam. The hugged each other and they were off. You see in Hell Sam owned a disco. The spent the day there together and had a great time. At the end of the day Larry and Sam went back to the elevator together said their goodbyes and Larry got back in the elevator and went up to heaven. He stepped off the elevator and was greeted by St. Peter who blocked the doorway to heaven. He looked at Larry and said, "Larry Lobster, didn't you forget something?"

Larry looked around and said, "No, I don't think so I have my halo and my wings."

St. Peter looked at him and said, "Yes, but what about your harp?" Larry gasped and said, "I Left My Harp in Sam Clam's Disco."

In between government cheese farts, Skoolmunkee favoured us with some 'a her learnin

skoolmunkee posted:

The town of Slapdash is up in the woody hills near the state line, and it's called such because it's so poor and put-together that's what it is. It's not even a town, just a couplea buildings and a fry shack that makes a convenient gettin-together place for the folks that live nearby. Three of these folks were younger fellas that grew up together, named Spank, Rob, and Ernest. There was a lot of crude talkin by that fry shack about huntin, fishin, eliminatin, and wimmin.

Spank in particular was a handsome fella, near six foot and mostly meat, with a beard that grew in even, and friendly enough I suppose. Most every week he'd head down to the road house for some drinkin, and in his words, "find me some gal who wants her sweet rear end Spanked." (I warned you there was some crude talk.) Rob and Ernest weren't so lucky in love- Rob tried, but he was no catch. Ernest was the best man of 'em but he was too shy to try. Being back-hills men they'd learned to be self-sufficient and could put together a solution to just about anything with bits and parts and elbow grease. Ernest ended up spendin most of his time tinkerin on his lonesome.

One day at the Slapdash fry shack, Rob revealed he'd been hidin the sausage real regular with a certain gal. She was a pretty little thing and immediately Spank's new favorite joke was how she was "gettin Robbed" (because his name was Rob, y'see, and also he was no catch). Rob paid him no nevermind. Everyone really was pretty content with their lives, even Ernest on his lonesome. He reckoned he could complain about the same amount of things he could be happy about, so that was al right.

Late on a rainy night drivin home from Slapdash to his cabin, Ernest saw a beat up ol farm truck slewed half off the muddy road, nose-down in a ditch. A lady was standin and shiverin wet behind it, fiddlin at something Ernest couldn't see. Now I said that Ernest was the best man of 'em, so he pulled his own truck over to give a hand. Turned out this gal had gotten into her mess by tryin not to hit a deer, bless her heart, but she couldn't get her winch rigged up right to pull her truck aright. This was easy as pie for Ernest and he had her rig on the road in no time. "I'm cold and I'm wet and I'm mighty grateful," this sweet miss told him. "My name's Penny, what's yours?"

And that is how folks learned that a Penny saved is a Penny Ern'ed.

Clayren didn't say nothin, just sketched this portrait 'a the moose-humper

Clayren posted:

Every thread deserves fan-art, but not every thread deserves GOOD fan-art. With that being said I leave this artist's rendering of the OP here without comment.

Skippy Granola fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Nov 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Geop posted:

I said it once, I'll say it again: this is basically the Sang Froid of the south :v:

Hopefully I can Zippity Do Dah through this one and get onto the sequel. But judging by the difficulty of the first level, this drat game is set to Remus right in the corn chute.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

When the going gets dull, the smart LPer cheats for all weapons and stomps the game in the most hilarious fashion.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Following Alta's awesome post, I've spent the last three hours listening to Mojo Nixon.

What's especially troubling is now I want to see if I can ramp my Chevy over a cow.

The music really adds a lot to the experience, but with the commentary I think it'd just be too busy. For the full effect, just go ahead and queue up some kickass tunes and listen to em along with the vids.

So how about we work together to compile a list of awesome track recommendations to go with each video, and I'll pick my favourite and post it in the OP next to the graphic?

Also I'm officially designating this thread the Shitkicker Appreciation Station

Talk to me about music, whiskey, barbecue, and shenanigans. Let's celebrate grown-rear end men and women acting like idiot babies.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Just remember y'all don't have to be American to enjoy some of that good ol' rockabilly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFy02HhbjHg

Oh my god they've gotten so old and Gorbachev-esque since Six String Samurai

Edit: drat there are so many good recommendations. I'd better whip up a graphic for the updates.

Skippy Granola fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jul 19, 2014

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Episode 2: Lumberlands. Recommended listening: Johnny Remember Me by The Meteors (recommended by Juvenalian.Satyr)

Hiya, thanks for coming back!

Joining me today for a hell of a tough level are the awesome Abby Denton and the equally awesome Anoia

Edit: Some thoughts on today's update

I keep forgetting that there was a time before plot and pacing in FPS games. Levels are less chapters in a story than simply arenas full of enemies, and for a game ostensibly about Rednecks defending their turf from marauding alien sumbitches, we're surprisingly light on aliens. Here's hoping for a plot development sooner or later. Or at least a new gun.

Skippy Granola fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jul 21, 2014

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

So my friend AnEvilHerbivore pointed out that Goo Goo Clusters exist and are delishus

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

But how am I gonna shake my wiggle stick and get my psychobilly freak on?

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

I sure don't wanna make this a high effort LP but wouldn't it be fun to shamelessly rip off Bobbin Threadbare's "Bands You etc etc" segments And jabber about good tunes and bands?

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Time to crack open the manual I guess! Will update the OP with relevant information in the next couple days.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

'Taint thur scattergun anyways. s'mahn.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Triggsz posted:

My first though on seeing this thread was "gently caress yes! Redneck Rampage!"

Go hogwild Skippy!

Through playtesting earlier today I can confirm it is not in fact possible to "go hog wild" in the game.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Great Joe posted:

Can we not have a racism discussion here? Please?

Don't make me lock the thread, y'all. We was havin a lovely tete a tete about tunes and mudbuggies. Don't make it gross.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Triggsz posted:

Jesus loving christ, goons...

Anyway i really prefer the standard voices to the cuss pack. It's more goofy yet still manages to be as offensive. "I'm gunna git ya boy! I'M GUNNA GIT YA!"

Also Xatrix > Grey Matter > Treyarch. I don't know how many of the original members are left but holy lol if the same guys who made RR and Kingpin are the ones making CoD games.

Heh, yeah, I glossed over the Treyarch acquisition because by that point Xatrix basically didn't exist.

Agreed on the standard voices too. I did a little test play with the cuss pack and it's basically the worst thing. In case you're curious HEEEEEERE'S A LIST OF THE LINES

Spoilers: The alien Vixen and Alien Hulk are the alien enemies in this game. This game has aliens. It is a game about rednecks vs aliens. (I read the manual and now know the plot) Sheriff Hobbs is a boss, I think. You get the automatic rifle off him. This information is provided in the manual free of charge.

code:
Here's the list of files in the Cuss Pack.

Leonard                                                 NAME OF FILE

I can eat a buffalo's rear end through an electric fence	LN_Bacon.voc	
Chew on that you pile of crap                           LN_Bust.voc
Eat lead you poo poo monkey                                LN_Crap.voc
I've farted, its wet and I don't want to move           LN_Bnch.voc
Come boy poo poo or get off the pot                        Crap.voc
God drat it, open up                                    Lokdoor.voc
God drat it, open up                                    Lokgate.voc
I'm happier then a pig in poo poo                          LN_Sorry.voc
poo poo Fire and gently caress me running                           E1L1.voc
I'm so hungry I'll eat the rear end end of a menstrual skunk	LN_Hush.voc
drat you suck                                           LN_Grass.voc
gently caress you and the horse you rode in on                   LN_Fkyou.voc
You are lower than Catfish crap                         (CUSSPACK.RTS)
You dumb rear end                                            (CUSSPACK.RTS)
Fuckin' Kick your Fuckin' rear end gently caress                      (CUSSPACK.RTS)
Oh poo poo                                                 (CUSSPACK.RTS)
poo poo Fire and gently caress me running                           (CUSSPACK.RTS)
Boy you are slower the poo poo through a funnel            (CUSSPACK.RTS)
Holy poo poo we got company                                (CUSSPACK.RTS)

Sheriff T. Hobbs

gently caress you and your horse!                                SF_Relod2.voc
I'm the designated rear end kicker fuckin puke face          SF_Name.voc
I am Lester T Hobbs and I can have sex with any dang	SF_Over .voc
       animal I want to, Male, Female...    
Freeze, fucker!  I am the law, Lester T. Hobbs!         SF_Reload.voc

Vixen

Take this one in your face motherfucker!                VX_hiya.voc &            
                                                        VX_hiya2.voc

Skinny Ol' Coot

Eheheeh, sonofabitchingfucknutcocksucker!               CT_Pain.voc
Get the gently caress off my land!  Heehehehe                    CT_Land.voc
I’m gonna gently caress you!  I’m gonna gently caress you!  Ehehehehe	CT_Get.voc
Oh Jesus Christ you cock gently caress nut                       CT_Die.voc

Billy Ray

Hey!  Hey, motherfucker!                                BR_Recog.voc
I’ll kick your fuckin’ rear end, you fuckin'...              BR_Roam3.voc
Get the gently caress outa my way                                BR_Roam2.voc 
Ow, fucker!                                             BR_Pain.voc
Clear the gently caress off!                                     BR_Roam1.voc
Oooohooo, rear end in a top hat's itching,  there.                    BR_Itch.voc
Not gonna bother putting this poo poo in the OP. Consider it a bonus for y'all kind enough to read and post. But imagine hearing "I'm gonna gently caress ya! I'm gonna gently caress ya!" overlapped ad nauseum as yr tryna find yr way through a level.

ALSO did you know that you can customize the game sounds to anything you like? I'm going to change all the .voc to nature sounds.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Gee, you can get right into the .con files and modify all kinds of neat stuff. Weapon damage, enemy health, even mess with the enemy AI.

I think after we do Suckin Grits and before we move onto Rides Again, we'll do a side series in which I give y'all the USER.CON file and let you go hog wild and I'll do a vid with your modifications.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Geop please make it so

Edit: And this is why Geop owns.

Skippy Granola fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jul 31, 2014

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Steelpudding posted:

What's going on, Skippy? Why aren't you entertaining us?

Your wishes from the bottom of your innocent heart have awakened my true power.

Episode 3: Junkyard. Recommended listening: Redneck Rampage by Mojo Nixon (from the soundtrack)

Skoolmunkee joins me for this one.

I also went ahead and recorded a few eps ahead of time thank goodness so hopefully we won't be lookin at another 3 week delay.

Edit: Youtube failed to process it so I'm trying to reupload. Stay free, Youtube.

Skippy Granola fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Aug 10, 2014

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Neruz posted:

Youtube appears to have broken; I've been trying to upload a video to it in various filetypes and every time it uploads and then fails to process. I think they broke something.

Glad it's not just me. I'm workin to see if I can fix it otherwise the update's gonna be delayed, sorry!

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

So apparently adblock causes a problem with youtube? Uploading it in an incognito window in chrome seems to have made it work.

So here it is, Redneck Rampage - Part 3: The Junkyard

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

All I know is I've never met a meat I couldn't jerk

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

azren posted:

The kind of person who realizes how dangerous some dogs can be under the right circumstances? Junkyard and hunting dogs are not to be messed with. For example, I will point out that the Caucasian shepherd dog is kinda like if you mixed a really big dog with a bear.

Well, yeah some dogs are a legitimate threat and so on but it's still really hard to feel good about killing one in a video game.

Maybe I'll see about modding their graphic to something more appropriate, like a photo of Paula Deen.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Glazius posted:

Well, I suppose we had to get around in a junkyard eventually.

I'm just surprised we didn't bull out of there in a wrecked car resurrected by Mad Redneck Science.

Something to look forward to in the inevitable reboot, I guess!

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Episode 4: Trailer Park. Recommended listening: Skulls by The Crimson Ghosts (recommended by NinetySevenA)

Hi Buddies! Bacter joins me for this episode as we tear up a trailer park and watch a movie at the drive in.

Skippy Granola fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Aug 19, 2014

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah, I kept expecting Skippy to show off the bowling but then he didn't even go into the lanes area for that long, if at all. The first time I saw interactive bowling in a BUILD engine game I was blown away, like what couldn't you do in that engine?

Re-watching the video I totally got distracted on account of a fear of dying. No worries though- I still have a save so I'll go on back and check it out!

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Clayren posted:

Every thread deserves fan-art, but not every thread deserves GOOD fan-art. With that being said I leave this artist's rendering of the OP here without comment.

Oh my fuckin god it's like lookin into a mirror. The haunted expression, the poor hygiene, the Woody Guthrie reference on the shirt. TIME TO DO A RAD poo poo BANNER I GUESS

Edit: Updated the OP with all this loveliness

Skippy Granola fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Aug 26, 2014

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Episode 5: DairyAir Farms. Recommended listening: Smell the Bacon by The Red Elvises (recommended by Bobbin Threadbare)

Crap I need to record more gameplay WHOOPS.

Xumtosis and Pins are back and it's exactly like taking two children to a boring-rear end farm.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Make no mistake, we are the 3 rudest dudes in LP

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Bobsedgws posted:

Hey Skippy do you think you could show off what happens if the alcohol and gut gauges get full up, I know the booze meter does bad things to your ability to play the game but I have no idea about the enigma of the gut meter.

I'll see what I can do! Unfortunately it's down to planning cause the only consumable food is a cow pie, so yr at the mercy of finding food in the levels.

Although if I can figure out how to mod the gut values... hmm...

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

AltaBrown posted:

Holy poo poo, goo goo clusters and moon pies are really easy to make at home!

Huh. I have a bad idea coming on...

Post pictures. That is all.

You're also the frontrunner for thread MVP, sir.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Glazius posted:

Man, I figured since every level is part sewer there wouldn't be an actual sewer level. So naive.

Episode 6: Sewers. Recommended listening: The Shallow End of the Gene Pool by Austin Lounge Lizards (recommended by Bruceski)

You're so sharp you're liable to cut yourself. I want it on the record that the above video is Glazius' fault.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Rabidredneck posted:

I hated that sewer level as a kid. I was so lost and turned around, I ended up just hitting noclip and getting to the exit that way. There were no onine guides I could use back then, at least not that I thought of looking online.

That switch you have to peek through the centre to find pissed me off. There's no indication whatsoever.

Generally not a great level, imo.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

berryjon posted:

I suspect you could have gotten to those secrets near the start after you played around with the water level.

Also - this map sucks. Nothing new at all!

Ahhhhhh you're probably right actually. I was in such a drat hurry to be done with the level I didn't even think of that.

But yes, I really didn't enjoy the sewers at all.

On the upside, the next level is actually the end of Act 1: The Outskirts.

After that we're headed right downtown where we'll meet the last new enemy of the game so uh yeah please don't let the sewers turn you off from watching the rest of the LP! I promise I'll have more awesome guests starting next time too PLEASE DON'T LEAVE ME OH GOD.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

paragon1 posted:

Rage was so bad that he was willing to have me as a guest commentator. It was THAT bad.

Like 3 times!

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

Many horrifying words

Sir, you spin a hell of a yarn. May I either put these in the OP or use them in a video?

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Oh man it's such a bummer you guys skipped the sewer level! As far as sewer levels go it's... well... actually it's pretty bog standard and it's a huge maze.

Episode 7: Smelting Plant. Recommended listening: Call It What You Will by Larry and his Flask (recommended by AltaBrown)

Anyway, hi it's time for another update. Joining me this week are Kalon and Ape, with whom I discuss danger, agriculture, meat, and girthsome butts. This is a slightly longer one but there's a nice little surprise at the end for you. I hope you enjoy it.

This episode marks the end of Act 1: The Outskirts, and I think it's worth looking back and reflecting on the events of the past six episodes.

Now, as we've mentioned before, Bubba and Leonard are looking for a pig. That was their call to action - two good ol' boys thrust into the middle of a galactic adventure when fate dropped on em like a buck on a midnight highway. What's more interesting is there's really no sense in the game or even in the level concepts. What we know is a pig is missing, as are the townsfolk, with the only signs of life being eeeeeevil alien clones of Billy Ray, the Skinny Ol' Coot, and Some Dog.

We start on the outskirts of Hickston, in the little burb of Taylor Town. Immediately he is under threat from a mysterious truck driving very fast around the inexplicably circular road. Who could be driving this thing? Why does said driver hate chickens so much? Leonard fights his way into a marsh I guess and hits Bubba with a crowbar. Bubba then disappears because he is a mystical swamp nymph, and Leonard follows the river to the Lumberland lumber mill. Leonard fights his way through the clone-infested mill and meets Bubba on the road outside. Why they couldn't have stolen A Truck and just followed the road is yet another mystery, and one that would have curtailed the gameplay yet further.

Leonard arrives at the drive-in movie theater near the trailer park and shoots yet more people for no appreciable reason, as he ends up on top of the main building with Bubba. We then shift forward through space and time as Leonard drops off of an overturned semi directly on top of a ripsaw in DairyAir farms. Okay, we can assume there was a Time Passes moment where Leonard pressed dauntlessly on in pursuit of his MacGuffin (McMuffin?).

What's interesting about DairyAir farms is that barn out behind the first house we explored. We see, parked with blood and feathers in its grill, the truck from Taylor Town. Interesting - it looks like the driver is first of all not in league with the aliens, and second of all is moving in the same direction as we are. Who could this mysterious person be? They're obviously able to handle themselves, having escaped abduction and cloning, and they've figured out the aliens' weakness (grievous bodily harm). The rest of the farm passes, while not uneventfully, certainly devoid of answers. Leonard then dives headfirst into the amazingly complex and vast sewer system.

And yet we're left with further questions - why is the sewer so large? Not even Paris' sewers are that immense. Where is this absolutely staggering amount of waste coming from? Surely it can't be the work of a mere couple thousand rednecks and assorted livestock. Who built all this? Why is it so poorly maintained?

The sewer, rife with frustration but light on answers, leads us to the so-called Smelting plant, and what could either be the source of or the primary consumer of all this rank poo poo. And that's the subject of today's video.

I invite you, friends, to speculate on the aliens' motives, and on the identity of the mysterious truck driver.

And I'll leave you with my own pet theory, here redacted and spoilered for your convenience.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

Would Coconut Cake count as Redneck confectionery? Or Pineapple upside-down cake?

We talked about Dump Cake a page or two back, so I think the sky's the limit

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Episode 8: Downtown. Recommended Listening: Vixen by Cement Pond (from the Soundtrack)

Howdy, we're halfway through the game by this point. I think I've covered most everybody's awesome music suggestions, barring duplicates and multiples from the same artists, but keep 'em coming if you know of any rad psychobilly/rockabilly/outlaw country/thematically appropriate tunes.

So without any further ado here's Episode 8, featuring my buddy Zellyn(AKA Weaponboy here on the forums)

After defeating the Fecal Master, Leonard finds himself at last in Downtown Hickston. I don't know what indicates that Bessy was taken this way but I suppose if there's clones what need killin, it's obviously the right track.

Act 2 marks a huge difficulty spike in the game. So far, at least on Meejum difficulty, the enemies have been fairly forgivingly spaced and reasonably weak. Alien Hulks were setpiece battles in large arenas, allowing us a huge area to dodge their shots and bombs, or were confined in easily-exploitable areas. Here, the level is specifically designed to gently caress you over at every turn if you're not careful. We make some offhand remarks about Dark Souls in the video but it's actually pretty apt - it pays to take your time, clear areas slowly and methodically, and be on your toes at all times.

Part of this is the introduction of two new enemies: Sheriff Lester T. Hobbes shows up infrequently but was apparently another victim of the aliens. He has a lot of health and can saw through you pretty quickly with his two revolvers. It becomes a matter of finding constant cover and unloading on him while he reloads.

Alien Vixens are I guess weird dominatrix ladies or something? They come in different colours, but they're all pretty uniformly awful. I find their constant moaning and giggling pretty offputting, especially with the way enemies will just spam their voice clips when you're within a certain area. Vixens do a lot of damage, and it seems like their projectiles can get stuck inside of you, effectively doing infinite damage until they despawn. They also have a nasty habit of going invisible and teleporting up to you, which can be dangerous if you're using explosive weapons. They also have 800 health, compared to Billy Ray's 100, so they take a beating before (ho ho) going down.

In short, while the game isn't getting good by any means it's certainly getting more interesting from a gameplay perspective. Thank goodness I haven't had to resort to cheats yet but oh boy get used to seeing safety saves.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

King Vidiot posted:

The one good thing about the vixens is that they occasionally drop their brassieres when they die, which gives Leonard a handy boob cannon.

I guess I mainly just like the idea of Leonard running around in a bra.

I figured that was the last weapon but for the life of me I couldn't get 'em to drop it, even trying to dynamite the boobcannons off their corpses.

Rabidredneck posted:

Looking up a wiki, the previous boss was named Assface. All these years, I thought his name was Assbane. Would have worked better IMO.

Jesus really? What a terrible name. I know this game's not known for its creativity but come on. I refuse to call it Assface. Canonically it is the Fecal Master now.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

Hearing you poo poo on this game so often breaks my small canadian heart. I have such fond memories of playing this game at launch with my father at the ripe ol' age of 7. Sitting there, playing this game, shooting alien vixens and making redneck jokes at my mom's expense. I'm not sure how well you know New Brunswick, skippy, but the maritimes as a whole are pretty "south". My mom's hometown was so backwater and tiny that they bulldozed it to make room for a reservoir. Also her maiden name was Hicks, which is a joke in itself.

Nostalgia is such a powerful force, man. I guess it's because I'm playing this mostly blind with a jaded heart but all the grossness really sticks out to me.

I will say in the game's defense though that it's just pretty slow to get going. Something weird happened while recording the next update - I was just coming up to the end of the level and I had this weird feeling that I was having actual fun. The game's really at its best when it throws a ton of enemies at you all at once, and some obvious clues as to how to handle a tough fight. But, you'll see what I mean next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

You know, I think I was being uncharitable what with the notion of a "slaughterin' truck" but it kind of makes sense that it wouldn't look like Leatherface's basement - I mean if I were slaughtering things that someone was going to eat, I'd probably want to keep a clean workspace too.

I did watch that slaughtering/butchering video and it's actually pretty neat! Meat's still good, but I agree it's important to remember that it came from an animal - don't waste food, kids!

• Locked thread