Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:

Tyrone Biggums posted:

Reverend Horton Heat is a pretty sweet band

So're the Beat Farmers.

Got permission from Skippy to post some Beat Farmers videos. These are maybe not their most iconic songs, or the best representations of rockabilly, but they are three of my favorite.

The first one share some thematic under pinnings with the LP - Gunsale at the Church
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0npOg8TvJuE

The second one is a cover of Neil Young's Powderfinger, and is, I feel, the superior version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vu8XlIc8-zo

Finally we have the late, great Country Dick Montana on lead vocals for their cover (with original lyrics) of the classic Big Rock Candy Mountain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTlXjShG4XQ

racerabbit fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

Great Joe posted:

Ground floor of a masterpiece in the making. Now, can anyone tell me where I can buy some Beat Farmers CDs?

Amazon has you covered. Well, if you live in the U.S., and probably Canada? Don't know about anywhere else.

If anyone else wants to post videos of other pychobilly acts, I'll stick 'em all into a Youtube playlist.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

I saw these guys open up for Deer Tick a few years ago. Hell of a fun show!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=903oVzMObak

And speaking of good 'ol boys ramping their muscle cars over cows, let us all remember this classic from Walyon Jennings himself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHB435qJM-M

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

Agent Interrobang posted:

even if y'are a pack of yankee carpetbaggers.

I was born in New Mexico, actually. Though it was to the parents of carpet-bagging northerns.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

Oh man...I'm crying over here!

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

Great Joe's post about Letterkenny Problems reminded me that as with any species that finds itself scattered hither and yon upon the continents, Rednecks come in many colors, sizes, and modes of transportation. Thus, I would like to spotlight one particular off-shoot of 'Neck that I am personally familiar with; the Southwest Florida Swampbuggy racer, or rather, the Swamp Buggy.

Now, imagine you live in the middle of the widest, most shallow river in the world, a.k.a the Florida Everglades before it all got drained off real estate development. Sure you can use your flat-bottom scullers to poke around the mangroves, and slide over some of the shallower parts, but to really get anywhere, you need something bigger. Something burlier. Something with balloon tires like the breasts of yer second cousin after she'n hit puberty an' they blew up like Cletus Jr.'s face after he hit that nest o' wasps with his slingshot.

That there is yer bog-standard (heh) swamp buggy. T'ain't fancy n' t'ain't fast, but she'll git 'er done, right enuff!

But much like the Model T to the Mustang, modern swamp buggies look nothing like their progenitors. In fact, they look more like someone crashed a cigarette boat into a tractor shed, and then built a top fuel dragster out of the usable parts.

Seriously.

When I was about eight or so, my dad took me and my sister to the Naples Swamp Buggy races (then located just off Radio Road), and we spent that day watching these bastard machines roaring around a mile log course of mud and water. Below is a video taken of the 2013 races. Witness these majestic beasts as they rip down the line, only to get swallowed by the Sippy Hole!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7vMNEBe6GM

Brings a tear to my eye. Truly.

For a bit more information, mosey on over to the Wikipedia article, iff'n ya'll so desire!

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

Squirrel Melts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RlK0Xd4c2c

Actually, it isn't the idea of squirrel melts that that I find abhorrently fascinating, it's the gosh-golly-gee production values and presentation.

Also maybe the way she says "He's kinda cute...put his tender little butt in there."

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

Captain Bravo posted:

But here's the most important question about eating insects. 60 years from now, when they reboot Redneck Rampage and put out a PS9 game called Mountain People Massacre, what will replace Pork Rinds? Grasshopper Grattons? Cricket Cracklins? Cucaracha Chicharons? Ant Scratchins?

Pork rinds are eternal. Pork rinds are the Alpha. The Omega. Pork rinds always were, and forever shall be.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

Dr. Buttass posted:

Look all I'm saying is that if they haven't bred some kind of Pork Beetle in the next couple of decades mad science will have disappointed me forever.

Man, bacon-flavored crickets would be awesome! Grab a handful, and crunch on them while waiting for your coffee to steep. Add them to salads in lieu of bacon bits, croutons, and nuts! Flavor, crunch, and protein all in one tasty package!

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

Oh good! I've been trying to figure out how to work this into the thread, and that there portrait of our boy Leonard is just what I needed!

So ya'll're familiar-like with the great Cal Smith's hit song "Country Bumpkin", right? No? Well here, take a lissen to this so's ya'll can get where Imma comin' from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMRnKYNlHVA

Okay, got that treacly melody in yer head? Got that sweet, syrupy refrain echoing in yer brains?

Good. 'Cause while I don't want to cast an rear end-per-ay-shuns on our dear boy Leonard, I do believe that he might be partial to some, uh, "alternate" lyrics.

"And he said 'Hello slutty pumpkin'"
"How much it cost me for a blumpkin"
"I've seen some gourds, but man yer something"
"Imma pork you , slutty pumpkin"

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

Captain Bravo posted:

Have we already talked about Noodling in this thread? Because no discourse over fine southern white trash should go without an introduction to the most redneck form of fishing imaginable.

Not yet, and yes, we do need to be talking about this most amazing of Human Achievements!

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

Starlight Express or GTFO.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

Holy poo poo, goo goo clusters and moon pies are really easy to make at home!

Huh. I have a bad idea coming on...

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

Hopefully I'll have something for Monday. I need to get the ingredients, and clean my kitchen. One of those is going to be a bigger job than the other.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

Just a quick update on Operation: Bake Like a Redneck

After spending last week feeling sorry for myself, I finally have (almost) all the ingredients assembled, and will commence baking tonight. I'll be doing the moon pies first as I forgott to get an important ingredient for the goo goo clusters.

Here is a teaser of the assembled ingredients:

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

bodz5150 posted:

No. Nothing wrong can happen.

Don't look too closely at his shoes.

(Walker Cronkite voice) "Cankles."

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

Operation: Bake Like a Redneck - Moon Pie Assault Gaiden Remix is a SUCCESS!

Also, I think I might have made myself diabetic.

First off, y'all want to start off with a big 'ol cuppa joe, This's important 'cause insomnia hates you and you got no fuckin' sleep last night.

Me? I'm a mocha kinda guy.

First off, set yer oven to 400 degress F, and lightly grease up/oil a cookie sheet. This poo poo's important (so important I forgot to get a pic) 'cos otherwise yer cake bits is gonna stick.

Now, you can do the next two steps in what ever ordr you want, but I like to mix the dry ingredients first, that way the wet ingredients aren't just sitting there like yer slow cousin Lenny with his finger up his arse.

Make drat sure and well that you mix this poo poo well, or yer gonna get lumps in yer cake. It should look like this when yer done.

When that's done, start mixing the sugar and butter.

Use a higher speed on yer mixer to get that poo poo nice 'n' creamy, then add the egg, vanilla, and evaporated milk. It'll look like vomit when done.

Slowly, and I mean 1/4 cup at a time slowly, add the dry ingredients to the wet. Use a lower speed or you'll get powder everywhere, like that time Cletus and Lenny got into yer private stash 'o flake, and then proceeded to pretend they were Snowflame.

Now, don't that poo poo jus' look like the dankest poo poo there ever was?

After six minutes in oven, it makes the prettiest little piles of dried crap you ever did see!

Nice thing about the cake, it only uses one cup of sugar, so the result is a delicious chocolate flavour that really gets enhanced by the super sweet marshmellow filling.

And speaking of, when you go to mix the creme-y, gooey center up, kindly remember that you live 8500' about sea level, and poo poo you buy in the valley has a tendency to explode when opened.

I seen donkey shows that were less messy'n this.

But HOOOOOOOLY CRAP, is the end result something awesome!

My buddy, Rasta, takes the first bite of the finished product. Declares it a success!

So, this here is the recipe I used. It's as friggin' simple as yer cousin Lenny, and as easy as yer neighbor Gracie.
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/southern-moon-pies/

Next up is goo goo clusters, and gently caress, that's gonna be a mess.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

Oh, speaking of possums, you know what else has four legs and gives no fucks, and punches far above their weight class? Dachshunds!

Wait, let me back up.

Back around '81 my family moved to South Florida (Naples, not hip metropolitan Miami). Back then the Everglades hadn't been quite drained yet, and there was still lots of wilderness around Naples. Now, on our way there we acquired a female dachshund named Allison from a school friend of my father. Allison was black and tan, near standard sized, and had a scar running from her shoulders right down the middle of her back. She quickly dominated our other three dogs (including our doberman, Heinz), and just as quickly captivated our hearts. She was also a born huntress.

Enter the possums. Exit dead possums.

Now, I imagine most of you think of dachshunds as those weird wiener dogs that are tiny, yappy, and neurotic a gently caress. And your not wrong. Those are the miniature breed, but don't let their size fool you, as they make excellent rat catchers. Their larger cousins, the standard size dachshunds are about a third again the size, and were bred for badger hunting. Allison was a standard doxie, and she was a right loving terror to possums. She weighed 16 lbs., but she would cheerfully take on pissed-off possums that weighed twice as much. And kill them. Three a.m. we'd wake to a gawdawful racket from the dogs, and a eight a.m. we'd come out to a proud little dachshund sitting next to her latest kill, tail wagging furiously, just pleased as punch that she'd provided for her pack.

TL;DR Got a possum problem? Get a standard dachshund.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"Redneck" is as much a state of mind, as it is a location.

Also,

Great Joe posted:

zero mortality rate.

That is way too safe to be "The Most Redneck Thing".

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

azren posted:

I'm pretty sure that it's "just" fingers you're gonna lose from a snapping turtle. Could be wrong though (see above).

That depends on the size and breed of snapper. Alligators snappers get loving big, and yeah, you could lose a hand.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

Steelpudding posted:

Bourbon is corn whiskey. You can make whiskey with any malt, just as you can make booze with any malt.

Bourbon is also aged in charred oak casks to give it the distinctive color and flavor.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

Great Joe posted:

...and it tastes better than Pepsi.

BLASPHEMY! BURN THE WITCH!

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

I remember seeing a laser light show at Stone Mountain when I about seven. My family was moving down to Naples, and we stopped to see a family friend.

I never made it back there when I lived in Atlanta for five years, but I remember that laser show!

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

Suspect Bucket posted:

I have a pet rabbit. She is my princess and lives in a palace. She also kicks the cat's rear end and steals food from the dog.

Which part of Florida are you in?

I once had a roommate the had a dwarf rabbit as a pet, and another roomie who adopted a little dog. We had to keep them separated because the rabbit would hump the dog at every opportunity.

Rabbits are dicks, is my point.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

Okay, I have a crazy theory that could totally make sense of the Redneck Rampage "plot"!

What if, and bear with me here, the Old Coot and Billy Ray enemies were actually clones of Leonard and Bubba? 'Ol Leo and Bubba were funnin' it up one night, and got kidnapped by aliens, and cloned! It wasn't until their prize pig was kidnapped that they realized what was going on, and they're now on a mission to eliminated the foul aliens, and clear their good names!

And also get their prize pig back, 'cos sooo-weee, she is one purty pig, and Leonard and Bubba are feelin' a mite lonely!

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

I still need to make GooGoo Clusters. gently caress.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

Shei-kun posted:

Still was proud to be a redneck, though, even if it was just self-proclaimed.

His truck DID have loudspeakers on it.

Tain't nuthin' wrong with bein' a redneck. Is something wrong with being a racist, bigoted, misogynistic piece of poo poo. And sadly the latter strongly correlates with the former.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

Have i already gushed about Hayseed Dixie? Because Hayseed Dixie is awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYJUywl7CFw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAWl5peI8HY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gENhlMpe158

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

Bobbin's "Howdy, y'all" was the very definition of laconic, and then he tells that awful, awful, very bad, terrible, hateful, really mean story!

brb...gonna go hug my cat(s).

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

Channeling my inner Redneck for a Halloween party.

e: lesson learned - don't post drunk on mobile.

racerabbit fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Oct 26, 2014

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

IGgy IGsen posted:

This Let's Play is teaching me about America. So should I ever travel to the US to visit some relatives I'll be prepared to deal with the people there. Need to acquire a shotgun first, though. Seems to be how them folks say hi.

Just have the cab driver stop by a Walmart after you get picked up at the airport. That way you can buy a gun, and get overwhelmed by the sheer American-ness of American Walmarts.

Chances are you'll just take the taxi right back to the airport.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

Nofriendo Entertainment System › Let's play Redneck Rampage - Y'know, Fantasy Life is a Much Better Game, Let's Play That Instead.

I'm currently trying to master all the classes.

But enough about Fantasy Life...

...there's no such thing as "enough Fantasy Life".

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

Awww...the memorial to "Country Dick", makes me want to forgive the game for all its many, many faults.

I won't, but it was still really neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

I heard the LP got sent to a farm upstate, where it could play with all other LP's.

• Locked thread