Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DirtyPatty
May 30, 2011

Samovar posted:

Uh... my knowledge of North American fauna isn't 100%... but just how drunk were you to even consider this being remotely a good idea? Aren;t those things like... capable of snapping yer goddamn hand of in one bite?

I was 19 so my good judgement had not really developed yet. I don't think I was drunk, but at that age it is safe to say I was stoned as hell. In my defense that turtle looked really cool.

We went mudding all the time too. Mudding isn't quite mud bogging. You still need the right vehicle but it isn't really about going into water, just really muddy spots. Usually in the woods, while drunk. At least that's how we did it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bodz5150
Jun 29, 2005

I'm the only muthafukin Jedi to defeat the muthafukin Emperor! Not even Yoda pulled that shit off! I'm tired of that bitch Skywalker gettin all the muthafukin credit!
To sum up the discussion this far, most people are stupid around animals and the the animals shouldn't be punished for the human stupidity.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Dr. Buttass posted:

I think I could handle this story if Johnny's kids had at least been upset about it. As it is I hope something really horrible happened to them. They wore a deerskin jacket on a hunting trip or something.

A year or so before I moved out of Louisiana I saw one of Johnny's kids -- 17 or 19 or something by that time -- as a mugshot in the local newspaper, arrested for stealing drilling equipment and trying to sell it for scrap metal. I didn't realize it was him until I noticed the name and address.

Dakona
May 3, 2014

Great Joe posted:

Is that like mud bogging? I tried looking up some videos of mud bogging and it seems like a lot of modified muscle cars and jeeps on REALLY HIGH suspensions and engine compartments that aren't made to survive in water, going through a straight, deep, water-filled ditch. Most don't survive because why the gently caress didn't you waterproof your engine compartment!?

Not particularly. Most of the trucks taken aren't modified, though some do have high suspensions for better chances of survival, roll bars, and winches to get free.

Even the rednecks I grew up around knew you shouldn't damage your engine. Usually.

Alright, about 50/50.

Delta Green
Nov 2, 2012

Dr. Buttass posted:

Most redneck pastimes basically consist of finding animals you shouldn't gently caress with, and loving with them. I'm sure in Canada and Russia their local breeds of bucolic idiot have names for pissing off wolverines.

Russian bucolic idiots are… Russians. Seriously, you don't need to go into the rural areas to see some crazy poo poo in Russia.

Canadian bucolic idiots are… non-existent, as far as I'm aware. At least in the Eastern part of the country, the only ones in the really rural areas are A) Farmers who know their fields, B) Trappers/Fur Traders who know their trapping and C) Amerindians who know their hunting.

I mean, there are the miners in Abitibi and the guys around Lac St-Jean, but those are less bucolic idiots and more isolated areas.

Seriously, everyone with more than 3 generations of family in Canada knows not to piss off the wildlife or keeps well away from said wildlife. The tourists, however...

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

I'm gonna need a "does the dog die" warning before stories in this thread, aren't I

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, that was a neat little bowling interlude at the end. For a while I thought a strike was just going to be flat-out impossible.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Glazius posted:

Well, that was a neat little bowling interlude at the end. For a while I thought a strike was just going to be flat-out impossible.

I'm glad you brought this up because I kinda skipped the latest video because SEWER LEVEL. I didn't even know there was a showing-off of the bowling at the end, but sure 'nough there was!

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Oh man it's such a bummer you guys skipped the sewer level! As far as sewer levels go it's... well... actually it's pretty bog standard and it's a huge maze.

Episode 7: Smelting Plant. Recommended listening: Call It What You Will by Larry and his Flask (recommended by AltaBrown)

Anyway, hi it's time for another update. Joining me this week are Kalon and Ape, with whom I discuss danger, agriculture, meat, and girthsome butts. This is a slightly longer one but there's a nice little surprise at the end for you. I hope you enjoy it.

This episode marks the end of Act 1: The Outskirts, and I think it's worth looking back and reflecting on the events of the past six episodes.

Now, as we've mentioned before, Bubba and Leonard are looking for a pig. That was their call to action - two good ol' boys thrust into the middle of a galactic adventure when fate dropped on em like a buck on a midnight highway. What's more interesting is there's really no sense in the game or even in the level concepts. What we know is a pig is missing, as are the townsfolk, with the only signs of life being eeeeeevil alien clones of Billy Ray, the Skinny Ol' Coot, and Some Dog.

We start on the outskirts of Hickston, in the little burb of Taylor Town. Immediately he is under threat from a mysterious truck driving very fast around the inexplicably circular road. Who could be driving this thing? Why does said driver hate chickens so much? Leonard fights his way into a marsh I guess and hits Bubba with a crowbar. Bubba then disappears because he is a mystical swamp nymph, and Leonard follows the river to the Lumberland lumber mill. Leonard fights his way through the clone-infested mill and meets Bubba on the road outside. Why they couldn't have stolen A Truck and just followed the road is yet another mystery, and one that would have curtailed the gameplay yet further.

Leonard arrives at the drive-in movie theater near the trailer park and shoots yet more people for no appreciable reason, as he ends up on top of the main building with Bubba. We then shift forward through space and time as Leonard drops off of an overturned semi directly on top of a ripsaw in DairyAir farms. Okay, we can assume there was a Time Passes moment where Leonard pressed dauntlessly on in pursuit of his MacGuffin (McMuffin?).

What's interesting about DairyAir farms is that barn out behind the first house we explored. We see, parked with blood and feathers in its grill, the truck from Taylor Town. Interesting - it looks like the driver is first of all not in league with the aliens, and second of all is moving in the same direction as we are. Who could this mysterious person be? They're obviously able to handle themselves, having escaped abduction and cloning, and they've figured out the aliens' weakness (grievous bodily harm). The rest of the farm passes, while not uneventfully, certainly devoid of answers. Leonard then dives headfirst into the amazingly complex and vast sewer system.

And yet we're left with further questions - why is the sewer so large? Not even Paris' sewers are that immense. Where is this absolutely staggering amount of waste coming from? Surely it can't be the work of a mere couple thousand rednecks and assorted livestock. Who built all this? Why is it so poorly maintained?

The sewer, rife with frustration but light on answers, leads us to the so-called Smelting plant, and what could either be the source of or the primary consumer of all this rank poo poo. And that's the subject of today's video.

I invite you, friends, to speculate on the aliens' motives, and on the identity of the mysterious truck driver.

And I'll leave you with my own pet theory, here redacted and spoilered for your convenience.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Good lord you edited that fast.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

GameFAQs apparently started in 1995.

AnEvilHerbivore
Feb 17, 2013

I will eat all of the leaves on this tree. I will eat more leaves than I should, and then other giraffes may die.
By the way, that high school whose mascot is The Rebels? Just in case you were thinking there might be some redemption or excuse, I want to point out that their mascot is literally a confederate soldier.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Oh jeez, a whole bunch of stuff was talked about in that episode. I will agree with you that the Internet back in the day sucked balls; there was only one thing back then which was good, and still is Homestar Runner, and God knows when I was younger my Internet days were pretty bad too.

But onto the food and drink - pork scratchings; they're made from pig skin, aren't they? i.e. they are distictly different from jerky. We do have them over here in the U.K., but I've never had 'em.

What IS moonshine made from? I was under the impression it was essentially home-made vodka, but now I'm not so sure. (Oh yeah, I think if you flavour moonshine with cloves, it's no longer red-necky).

Also, re. the 'Rebels' football team... is there any Southern school which actually celebrates the Union, or the defeat of the Confederacy at all? 'Cause the former is a definitive stereotype about the South... and is actually pretty goddamn ugly when it is true. (that is, celebrating the Confederacy is ugly)

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Samovar posted:

Also, re. the 'Rebels' football team... is there any Southern school which actually celebrates the Union, or the defeat of the Confederacy at all? 'Cause the former is a definitive stereotype about the South... and is actually pretty goddamn ugly when it is true. (that is, celebrating the Confederacy is ugly)

Having grown up in white suburban areas of Georgia and Texas, I can firmly say that no suburban whites are celebrating the victory of the Union. They don't exactly exalt the Confederacy but there's still plenty of bumper stickers and window stickers talking about how the South will rise again. Lots of Confederate flags.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

The discussion of high school sports rivalries reminded me of something. There was a tradition at mine called the "Possum Bowl." This involved the rival team hanging dead possums from the flagpole and other places around campus. It may have even been our own team to drum up hype; I never understood it.

This happened every year for an entire week.

That is my story.

Steelpudding
Apr 21, 2010

I've got Balls of Steel!
I just remembered. Diabetus is from the south. You think you could get him to be a guest, Skippy?

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
So when I say I live in an area of Maryland that WISHES it could be from the South, I do see the occasional Confederate Flag window sticker here and there. Not to mention people over here are OBSESSED with hunting and making jackasses of themselves. It's basically South-lite.

And I hate it.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

I was catchin up on videos and I was gettin really mad that you kept going over the line when you were bowling!

I used to work in a little alley and there is a reason employees hate people going over the line, it's because the lanes are oiled. The bottom of bowling shoes need to stay smooth but they're pretty absorbent, so if the oil gets on them they 1. No longer slide smoothly when you're doin your thing and 2. May transfer oil on to the un-treated boards of the approach, which also need to have the right texture/friction. If someone was really careless then the wood may even have to be re-sanded. The condition of the approach and not messing up the shoe soles is the same reason for the rules about not having food near the lanes and not wearing the shoes if you go pee or w/e.

In summary I was getting having ghost anger about jerks making more work for me.

Gettin mad about serious bowling stuff is kinda redneck, right?

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

Samovar posted:

But onto the food and drink - pork scratchings; they're made from pig skin, aren't they? i.e. they are distictly different from jerky. We do have them over here in the U.K., but I've never had 'em.

What IS moonshine made from? I was under the impression it was essentially home-made vodka, but now I'm not so sure. (Oh yeah, I think if you flavour moonshine with cloves, it's no longer red-necky).

Pork Rinds/Scratchings are definitely made from pig skins. They're not nearly as good as the description would have you to believe, though. The only ones I've ever had were store-bought ones, and they aren't pleasantly chewy or anything like beef jerky at all. It's like eating very salty fried matter; it's all crunchy and basically tastes purely like bacon grease. Apparently this texture is due to the skins being puffed as well as fried.

Moonshine's a distilled drink made from corn. It falls into the same category as drinks like vodka (which is distilled potato), and is similarly unpalatable as a high-proof drink.
Amusingly, Vodka in Russia is also bootlegged/homebrewed, and 'Bathtub Vodka' is definitely a thing. Don't drink it, since some people apparently go blind from that.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde
Accept no substitutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3Dtg6S6tCA

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.

Bluhman posted:

Pork Rinds/Scratchings are definitely made from pig skins. They're not nearly as good as the description would have you to believe, though. The only ones I've ever had were store-bought ones, and they aren't pleasantly chewy or anything like beef jerky at all. It's like eating very salty fried matter; it's all crunchy and basically tastes purely like bacon grease. Apparently this texture is due to the skins being puffed as well as fried.

I live in Chicago where we have a big Mexican population and they call Pork Rinds Chicharrón and they are either served in the bags just like Pork Rinds we all know and love or fresh and hot in tortillas. Both are really good when your hungry.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

So if moonshine is corn liquor, what's done with buorbon? I thought THAT was corn liquor.

Steelpudding
Apr 21, 2010

I've got Balls of Steel!

Samovar posted:

So if moonshine is corn liquor, what's done with buorbon? I thought THAT was corn liquor.

Bourbon is corn whiskey. You can make whiskey with any malt, just as you can make booze with any malt.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:

Steelpudding posted:

Bourbon is corn whiskey. You can make whiskey with any malt, just as you can make booze with any malt.

Bourbon is also aged in charred oak casks to give it the distinctive color and flavor.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Bluhman posted:

Pork rinds are glorious, but you have to get the proper home-style ones that have the fat on them, preferably made fresh from your local butcher's.

These ones are no good industrial waste that you buy in supermarkets. They're bland, have no bite to them and are mostly comprised of stale air:

These are the literal food of the gods*, crunchy fatty goodness, perfect as a beer snack or for hangovers:

Trust me on this, I come from a nation that prides itself on using "everything but the squeal". Everything.

*The Norse gods, that is.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
Sluggy Freelance is still going, but Pete Abrams is trying to wrap it up and by that I mean literally wrap it up, he's trying to take every random-rear end thing, from the stupid Harry Potter parodies to that incomprehensible "totally not a different comic" arc that went on for like two years, and tie it up into one unified canon.

Oh and the guy upon whom Megatokyo's Ub3r1337 G4M3R stereotype Largo was based is now running for office as a libertarian. So, you know, if that surprises you much, you're welcome.

AltaBrown posted:

Bourbon is also aged in charred oak casks to give it the distinctive color and flavor.

There are a bunch of super-specific rules about what does and doesn't count as bourbon when you make whiskey. One of them is that it's "new" charred oak casks. I'm not really sure what they do with the cask once they've aged their liquor in it once, since it's evidently no longer eligible for making bourbon any longer. Seems like kind of a waste of wood.

Incidentally Jack Daniel's is actually bourbon. If you see the words "Tennessee whiskey" on a bottle that means "bourbon, but specifically made in Tennessee." I guess Tennessee has some kind of pissing match going on with Kentucky and doesn't want to use their words. Any light to shed on that, Ape?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Dr. Buttass posted:

There are a bunch of super-specific rules about what does and doesn't count as bourbon when you make whiskey. One of them is that it's "new" charred oak casks. I'm not really sure what they do with the cask once they've aged their liquor in it once, since it's evidently no longer eligible for making bourbon any longer. Seems like kind of a waste of wood.

They generally sell 'em to the Scots on the cheap who use the barrels to age whisky actually worth drinking.

Anyway, this game looks terrible, but in a kinda charming way. It's got that dumb 'ol 90s shooter vibe that I really dig.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Dr. Buttass posted:

Sluggy Freelance is still going, but Pete Abrams is trying to wrap it up and by that I mean literally wrap it up, he's trying to take every random-rear end thing, from the stupid Harry Potter parodies to that incomprehensible "totally not a different comic" arc that went on for like two years, and tie it up into one unified canon.

Oh and the guy upon whom Megatokyo's Ub3r1337 G4M3R stereotype Largo was based is now running for office as a libertarian. So, you know, if that surprises you much, you're welcome.

Incidentally Jack Daniel's is actually bourbon. If you see the words "Tennessee whiskey" on a bottle that means "bourbon, but specifically made in Tennessee." I guess Tennessee has some kind of pissing match going on with Kentucky and doesn't want to use their words. Any light to shed on that, Ape?

Tabasco sauce is aged in former Jack Daniels barrels, and I've seen places where you can get wood chips from bourbon barrels for barbecue purposes. Not sure how much of an effect it actually has in either instance.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

Dr. Buttass posted:

I'm not really sure what they do with the cask once they've aged their liquor in it once, since it's evidently no longer eligible for making bourbon any longer. Seems like kind of a waste of wood.

Cut 'em in half and sell them to Home Depot as "decorative planters."

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

Yeah, that second one was what I was expecting when I first heard about pork rinds. Shame, because I'm not quite sure where I can get anything other than the supermarket variety.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Dr. Buttass posted:

Around here, local brewers like to buy them to age high gravity beers in. It works really well.

quote:

Kentucky wants bourbon to be like Champagne, in that if it wasn't made here than its not really bourbon. That's stupid for a number of reasons, and Jack Daniel's wants exactly none of that.

Ape Has Killed Ape fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Sep 14, 2014

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

Kentucky wants bourbon to be like Champagne, in that if it wasn't made here than its not really bourbon. That's stupid for a number of reasons

Yeah, I like bourbon, but I don't like it enough to pay champagne prices for it, and I don't know anyone who does either.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

Tabasco sauce is aged in former Jack Daniels barrels, and I've seen places where you can get wood chips from bourbon barrels for barbecue purposes. Not sure how much of an effect it actually has in either instance.

They've also started ageing tequila in them.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Aww, I was hoping the Ripper could kill you like a Daikatana weapon. Also, god that Internet talk makes me feel old.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

kalonZombie posted:

So when I say I live in an area of Maryland that WISHES it could be from the South, I do see the occasional Confederate Flag window sticker here and there. Not to mention people over here are OBSESSED with hunting and making jackasses of themselves. It's basically South-lite.

And I hate it.

Irony being of course that Western Maryland was mostly pro-union, or at the very least not supportive of the Confederate Armies that passed through while Baltimore was the hotbed of Secession.

Talking about Maryland, I used to drive down 95 towards Baltimore every few months and it always drove me nuts that some Power Equipment rental place hung a Confederate Flag off of their equipment that you could see from the highway. Last time I passed it wasn't up anymore, but it was there for a while.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

syzpid posted:

Irony being of course that Western Maryland was mostly pro-union, or at the very least not supportive of the Confederate Armies that passed through while Baltimore was the hotbed of Secession.

I live in the Eastern half, which is MUCH more conservative and/or wanabe-South to a certain point.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
I wonder if the concept behind the Smelting Plant was just a terrible pun. "Smell-ting Plant".

I've played this game, but I honestly don't remember these fecal minions. I at least didn't know the name of them. If I did, I could probably have made the connection on the smelting plant. I guess I thought it was just thinking it was just mud? That's what my memories seem to be telling me. I think some smelting uses mud for some process.

Wait no, apparently there's a 'red mud' as a toxic waste product in aluminum smelting. How the hell I knew about that process back then, I have no clue. Maybe it was on some educational program back then, showing off smelting processes. I apparently loved 'how stuff is made' education stuff, so that must have been lodged into my brain without even remembering it.

Also moon pies are delicious, but I never had them with RC Cola. Though I think it's available around here.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Dr. Buttass posted:

I'm not really sure what they do with the cask once they've aged their liquor in it once, since it's evidently no longer eligible for making bourbon any longer. Seems like kind of a waste of wood.

Well, I do know that the parentals once managed to get their hands on staves used for aging alcohol that were sold for the purposes of wood burning. The smoke smelled wonderful.

Innovacious
Jun 27, 2012

Drink Lucozade to keep your energy maintained!
We also have wagon wheels here in the UK. Until now I never knew what a moon pie was*. But now I do thanks to this highly informative let's play.

*I never cared enough to look it up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Just wanna chip in that RC Cola came to Iceland about a year ago, I think, and within months the 7/11 equivalent was giving away two glasses with each half-liter bottle of it. Nice glasses and it tastes better than Pepsi.

• Locked thread