Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Nidoking posted:

There was no way they could fit story onto those tiny PC cartridges. Only the games that came on ZIP disks could hold all the extra kilobytes of graphics and text required to convey concepts more complex than "Pick up gun. Shoot man. Eat pork rinds until you poo poo yourself. There is a mailbox here."

Remember that the player only has two methods of interaction in this game; shooting things and walking into things. When you literally only have two options for dealing with everything you don't need a story or reasons. See thing, shoot thing or walk into thing. Repeat until game end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I have this feeling that a lot of towns in Canada and America didn't have a name until a census guy came by and asked for one, and that a lot of locals have some strange senses of humor.

A lot of towns were also started and named by relatively small pioneer groups who would sometimes give their towns silly names for funsies.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

heenato posted:

Please. It's not an error that the Billy Rays are still holding a shotgun as they drop one for you to pick up. They're just always carrying multiple shotguns.

I assume you mean scattergun :colbert:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I'm not sure if Half-life was the first game to do an actual plot thing, (and if you actually go back and play Half-life there's surprisingly little plot by modern standards) but it certainly was seen as the poster child for the whole 'games with good story' by a lot of people.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jul 27, 2014

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

azren posted:

IIRC, the original Legend of Zelda was the one that surprised people by having an honest to goodness story, even if it was only in the instructions, and didn't build during the game.

edit: if you mean FPS games, I'm not sure. The Doom games had story segments between stages, if you want to count that. There was also Star Wars: Dark forces. Also, System Shock was released in 1994.

Yeah I meant FPS games, whoops. System Shock was another big name in FPS games with story that is true though I think a lot of FPS 'purists' saw System Shock as not really a 'true' FPS. Half-life wasn't the only game but it was definitely one of the biggest and most noticable ones, if not the biggest.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

There were quite a few RPG/FPS hybrids which had a plot accessible from the game itself rather than the manual, but what made Half Life unique is that it is a pure FPS and its story is completely immersive. Loading screens are barely there, there are no dialog screens or minigame popups, and there are no cutscenes in which you don't have control from Gordon Freeman's perspective.

Exactly, there were other games that did the same things but Half-life was held up as 'the best example' of how to do story in FPS games. For awhile there Half-life was basically the standard against which FPS games were measured.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Skippy Granola posted:

Gee, you can get right into the .con files and modify all kinds of neat stuff. Weapon damage, enemy health, even mess with the enemy AI.

I think after we do Suckin Grits and before we move onto Rides Again, we'll do a side series in which I give y'all the USER.CON file and let you go hog wild and I'll do a vid with your modifications.

Its just an entire level of wall to wall enemies screaming "gently caress" at each other.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Skippy Granola posted:

Edit: Youtube failed to process it so I'm trying to reupload. Stay free, Youtube.

Youtube appears to have broken; I've been trying to upload a video to it in various filetypes and every time it uploads and then fails to process. I think they broke something.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Great Joe posted:

I think the real question this thread isn't answering is, where can I buy dog jerky?

Probably have to look somewhere in East Asia as I believe dog meat is not widely available in the Western world.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I've eaten horse meat, it's not particularly common in the western world but it's a lot more common than dog meat. In fact I think dog meat is straight up illegal down here.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Great Joe posted:

Whoa, cool. Yeah, horse meat is delish. I recommend everyone try eating horse.

Eh to be honest I prefer beef, horse was definitely an interesting flavour but there was something about the texture that just didn't sit right with me.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Steelpudding posted:

Shame on you, beef is 10 times more polluting to produce than any other animal. Cows fart a lot.

But it tastes so good :smith:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Delta Green posted:

Pork is also very polluting.

Clearly we all need to switch to insect-based foodstuffs, much more ecologically friendly. Anyone feel like a fried cricket?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Captain Bravo posted:

I dunno if you're being serious or not, but some people have actually suggested that.

I have completely no idea how you'd prepare mealworms for human consumption, but I hope that by the time I'm old enough for beef to have been outlawed by the eco-police, someone has invented a functioning replicator. :v:

Semi-serious, I sincerely doubt that society would be willing to switch to insect-based foodstuffs but I was indeed aware that they are in fact ecologically by far the best option. I've eaten various insect foods before including fried crickets and fried witchetty grubs which were both quite tasty and slightly upsetting to eat for reasons that I cannot entirely elucidate.

That said odds are we will simply be forced to slowly include more and more insects in our diets simply because there is no other way to feed all the human beings.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Captain Bravo posted:

I'll be the crazy old coot locked up in his basement and ranting about the gub'ment, except instead of stockpiling guns and bullets I'll have a small herd of cattle and a few dozen piglets in my bomb shelter.

When they finally crack the vault door years later to try and locate my corpse, the smell will be unimaginable. :v:

Entirely new species of microorganisms will be discovered in the... remains...

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Dr. Buttass posted:

There are multiple societies the world over that happily, intentionally eat all kinds of bugs as a staple part of their diets; try again?

I apologise I assumed it was implied I was talking about Western society.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Aug 13, 2014

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The main advantage of insect foodstuffs is they have a much lower carbon footprint than most other animal foodstuffs, breeding insects to be larger and plumper wouldn't actually impact that much. When I say 'much lower' I'm talking more than an entire order of magnitude lower per weight of edible material.

From a resource efficiency standpoint livestock are terrible and hugely wasteful.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Kinda weird that this thread is sounding the death knell of mammal meat, though.

We've known that the death knell for livestock as a significant food source was coming for the last five years at least, smarter people than myself studying the right things probably knew this even earlier than that because it's purely a matter of mathematics. Livestock are just demonstratably less resource efficient, the advantage of livestock is that they're relatively easy to domesticate from their wild forms and thus are relatively easy to farm without the need for complex methodology, the disadvantage is that they're hilariously wasteful.

Its one of those things that nobody really likes to talk about because they'd rather not think about how complicated its going to be to solve and its not a problem right now anyway.

King Vidiot posted:

Nevermind insects, I'm waiting for lab-grown pork skin and pork fat to take off so that we can have Neverending Pork Rinds. Just imagine it, peeling off pork rinds and cooking them, and the solid pork slab will just keep self-replicating. Guess you could apply the same technologies to beef jerky and clone some cow muscle tissue.

Maybe in the future, we'll even eat Moon Pies on the Moon. :vince:

Given the technological requirements its unlikely cloned meat will be a major foodstuff but yes even in the future when we're eating our cricketburgers pork will still be available, just not cheaply enough or in significant enough quantities to be a major portion of the average person's diet.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Aug 14, 2014

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Pigs will eat anything, they take the 'opportunistic omnivore' descriptor a little too seriously.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
While eating the first fried cricket takes a bit of effort once your brain processes the taste input the next fried cricket suddenly doesn't seem anything like as unpalatable as the first one did. You really can just take a big bowl of them and eat them like chips.

The first one is the hard one, and I'd imagine people with phobias related to small invertibrates would have issues.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

skoolmunkee posted:

I think this thread needs more focus on the good aspects of redneck culture. For instance, rednecks love tellin stories and also a lot of common sayings are pretty folksy, and believe it or not but rednecks came up with many of the same sayings completely independently of the rest of the world. Please allow me to relate one to you, which I did not make up at all.

Jimbo was a big man with a big fambly. All his neighbors called him jumbo Jimbo, because everything about him was big, and also to differentiate him from young Jimbo, fat Jimbo, grampa Jimbo, and Jimbo. Jumbo Jimbo had a big ol triple-wide trailer, a big ol sprawl of acres and a couple a jumbo size pigs. Jumbo Jimbo's wife, named The Wife, was tired of all the silly names goin on in her fambly and decided to start naming her babies nice names she read in a magazine when she went into town that one time. The next couple a kids that came out was twin girls. Jumbo Jimbo wanted to name em Sally 1 and Sally 2, but The Wife wouldn't have it. She decided to name them both Pearl, on account of them pretty much being the same, and if she thought of another name later she'd give it to one of em.

Jumbo Jimbo wasn't a great daddy but he tried as best he could. He liked to take young'uns around with him for chores, so they'd start learnin early. Chuckin the trash into the hog yard for the pigs to eat is a job just about any kid can do, so that's where he was with the Pearls when he heard a terrified yell. Fat Jimbo and Jimbo had got in a fight, and Jimbo had tackled Fat Jimbo, but they had fallen on Grampa Jimbo and probably broke somethin. young Jimbo was too little to untangle em and get em up, and needed Jumbo Jimbo's help. Jumbo Jimbo's hands were full of babies, so he set em down real gentle in the hog yard and ran off to help the Jimbos.

When the Jimbos got sorted out and came back to finish chores, the babies were gone....

And that is why you don't put Pearls before swine.

The worst part about that is that if you know anything about pigs then there is a serious element of fridge horror there.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Samovar posted:

Well, I know we had the earlier talk about jerked meat - and I can see why it is popular as a 'stereotypical' redneck food, for matters of taste AND practicality, but what other foods are included in popular redneck cusine, and (and thuis is a pretty hard-to-answer question I know) why?

Dead animals, usually recently made dead by the person doing the eating. Rednecks are not complicated when it comes to food.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I'm really not sure I want to eat something called a "Dump Cake"

Given that it is just cake + fruit + butter it should be pretty good taste-wise but I'm very wary of anything with a name like that. I also have no idea what the average quality of boxed cake mix is over in the states; I'd imagine it can't be that bad but then again...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

King Vidiot posted:

I say for homework, everybody track down Grezzo 2 and play it between updates. There's even an English "translation" or patch or something, and since I don't speak Eye-talian I don't know if you have to have the regular game to use it, or if it's standalone or what... but I put the game and the translation in the same folder and it works, so there.

Grezzo 2 is a wonderful beast. I can't tell if it's racist or sexist, or where it stands politically but I can assure you that some part of you will be offended at some point when you play it. The main menu has you selecting options with a .gif of a fat naked Juggalo taking a piss. This is what you're greeted with, followed shortly by every selection you make giving you a different loud bodily function noise. And that's only the tiniest little tip of the iceberg, it gets so much better.

I have run into Grezzo 2 before, it didn't offend me so much as convince me that I did not want to play Grezzo 2 ever again.

I wasn't offended so much as repulsed.

• Locked thread