Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Organs
Feb 13, 2014

same. super time force looks rad and i thought we were gonna have to wait a year to get it on steam. thank god the xbone is tanking :D

now all we need is the hyper arcade remix dlc for dead rising 3 to come to the pc version

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

ColoradoCleric posted:

So if I want to get one of the call of duty's that are on sale right now am I better off getting MW2 or MW3 if I want to play multiplayer with a friend?

last time i played mw3 (late last year) there was hardly anyone online. most playlists were empty save for team deathmatch and domination, and on top of that the playerbase was split even further thanks to all the dlc packs. i'm not sure you'd be able to find any full games to actually play with your friend at this point, and mw2 is probably even worse

mw3 does have some decent co-op content though, with all the spec ops missions and the survival mode which you can play on every multiplayer map (theres about 15 or so that ship with the game). mw2 just has spec ops missions and no survival mode, but theres a decent amount of them. i suggest looking up some gameplay videos of them on youtube and seeing if it appeals to you

also mw3 has face-off mode which is smaller maps designed for 1v1 and 2v2 that you might enjoy with your friend, but most maps for that mode are dlc you need to buy

call of duty world at war has co-op campaign iirc and also has zombies mode. black ops 1 and 2 also have zombie modes too

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

you'd probably love nuclear throne but its an early access game. not sure if they've added in coop yet but if they have it'll be local coop only

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

Palpek posted:

Wow new Steam and the New Releases tab is completely gone by default - you need to click All New Releases button at the very bottom to see all games that released.

I guess this is the last nail to the "getting released on Steam = getting visibility" coffin.

lol valve working hard to earn that 30% cut. on the plus side though at least there are even more ways to advertise dayz to users now. it's impressive that they managed to make the store even more of a mess

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

lol so glad to see the paranautical devs booted off steam, hopefully their game dev careers are over now. i remember all the poo poo from when they were trying to screw their kickstarter backers and ea customers as well. fuckin' idiots

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

looks like humble has pulled the game too haha. this is awesome

efb

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

gently caress, and i was really looking forward to their next game

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

lol i can't believe this clown is seriously pretending to have quit in the hopes that the game will be accepted back on steam. are they really so dumb that they think that would work, even if people did believe that he really had quit??

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

idk they could probably make the steam store page a lot better if they got rid of all the wasted space either side and just went with a bunch of tiled sections with 'see more' links underneath

so you log in and the top section is a grid of tiled popular releases you can click on (like 20 or so?) and then below that is a grid of the same size with 20 or so of the newest releases, and then under that could be another grid of sales and offers, and then one for personalized recommendations? that way they get to promote popular stuff, new releases and recommended stuff and everyone's happy, and they could still have like the scrolling banner thingy at the top as well. plus it would make the front page of the store a hundred times easier to use and intuitive. right now it's just small lists and a bunch of links to the same thing (like how genres are listed at the top and then also on the left??)

basically what i'm describing is like how the store page looks during a summer/winter sale, with all the games presented in a neat tiled format. same thing but with them being broken up between popular/new/sale/recommended sections

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

Tezzeract posted:

So the game is disappointing if you're a Legend of Korra fan but good if you don't have a Wii U and feel left out of Bayonetta 2?

it's 50/50 whether a game by platinum is amazing or terrible imo. for every great game like bayonetta or metal gear rising they put out something really bad like mad world or anarchy reigns. by the sounds of things korra is one of their bad games which sucks but i imagine they're probably gonna have hideo kojima hiring them again soon to make a sequel to metal gear rising

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

hideki kamiya of platinum games posted a picture of his visit to valve a couple of days ago. some people are assuming that means scalebound is coming to pc, but given the recent sega announcements i have a feeling it might be related to porting vanquish and bayonetta to pc instead, which would be nice

somebody should beg sega to port jet set radio future to steam while they're at it. i thought the hd remake of jet set radio was fairly successful so it seems weird they haven't bothered to port future. i don't think microsoft would try to block it

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

interstate '76 was really cool

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

oh cool i just noticed cod advanced warfare is £40, that's a nice change since all the older cod games have always launched for £60. i wonder if activision is starting to price their games more sensibly from now on, or do they just have no confidence in cod selling any more??

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

ubisoft is giving uk customers the finger and refusing to release their games on steam. if you wanna play assassins creed unity, far cry 4 or the crew you have to suck it up and pay the silly prices they're charging on uplay lol, they won't be coming to steam

i'd assume this will fail spectacularly because they're asking £50 for these games and uplay is garbage, but it will probably be a huge success for them :aaa:

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

also uplay started experiencing server issues right after their announcement lol

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

this will end up being a huge success for ubisoft because people will complain about how much it sucks and how uplay is the worst client ever and then still go and preorder all their crappy games the next day because they can't control themselves and gotta play assassins creed 20 or whatever

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

i wonder if it really is ubisoft being greedy or if valve just got sick of having to deal with uplay complaints and booted them off steam because they refused to remove their drm??

warner bros will probably be the next publisher to ditch steam imo because there were rumors a little while ago that they were putting together their own origin/uplay styled service as well lol. they'll probably push it when the new batman game comes out

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

between the cost of running services like uplay and origin (and the difficulty ea and ubisoft have in keeping them running) along with the costs of customer support etc. and the significantly lower sales as a result of not being on steam, wouldn't it just be cheaper for ea and ubisoft to give valve the 30% cut at the end of the day?

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Or you could get Isolation because it's a good game*, is ludicrously pretty, is fun, and is the closest we're getting to a spiritual successor to System Shock?

I bought it at release for £30 and was happy with the money I spent.

*as long as you know about the dumb AI stuff like "never crouch, always walk everywhere" and don't play above normal difficulty.

can you briefly explain the crouching/walking thing? i'm not very far into the game (haven't encountered the alien yet) and was avoiding the thread for the game to stay clear of spoilers, but the crouch/walk thing sounds like something i should know about?

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

Palpek posted:

When you move too slowly through levels with the Alien you actually have higher chances of getting caught than when walking normally. This is simply because Alien's movement routes are dynamic so you simply are longer exposed to its behavior moods.

People are used to the usual stealth games where crouching slowly is better because of predictable patrol routes so careful observation gives better results. In Alien it's the complete opposite - only crouch when you're in direct danger and need to hide, walk the corridors normally and get out of rooms as soon as you're done with them.

An additional factor is playing the game on hard as the Alien is then tethered to you and learns your behaviors so when you do one thing too much and move slowly it will follow you closely everywhere and look for you exactly where you want to hide.

ah, gotcha. that's a nice change from most stealth games where enemies have specific patrol routes. i know everyone was worried creative assembly would gently caress up the ai in the game but if the creature is just dumped into areas and free to move around as it pleases then yeah, although that's obviously a lot more difficult to deal with than most games it's also really refreshing. seems closer to real artificial intelligence than puppets tied to static patrol routes at least, and much more suited to an alien creature than military guards or whatever

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

Quest For Glory II posted:

Sale is imminent, last thoughts on games I haven't mentioned yet:

Must Buys

Stealth: Dishonored

i'd also add that the dlc is also a must buy and that if it goes on sale, people should just grab the goty version of dishonored. i can't wait for the sequel to be announced/released, but i'm also glad that they're taking their time with it and not rushing

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

how come people say hitman absolution is terrible? the only other game i've played in the franchise is hitman blood money on xbox 360 when it came out, which i didn't complete but found enjoyable. i've started playing hitman absolution and i've found it pretty good so far. does the game nosedive in quality at some point??

i'm still at the beginning really, only on the third level (the hotel) but i've been liking how the levels are basically big open sandboxes to goof around in. is it a case of people disliking the game because it's not as good as older entires (which i haven't played except for the xbox one) or are there some big issues that i'm going to run into eventually?

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

Floridiot posted:

Considering they just announced DayZ won't be full release till 2016 I am surprised they are making it more expensive.

it's pretty funny that they hiked the price up just before the sale so the measly 15% discount is even less effective. the weird thing though is seeing anyone who calls them out on the community page is being attacked by all the fanboys for the game

then again the whole dayz thing is bizarre to me and i don't understand how it's still in the steam top sellers after so long while still barely being a game at all. is it still riding off the back of youtubers making wacky videos of it??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

i kinda wanna buy far cry 4 but the game isn't available on steam here in the uk. would it be possible to add the game to my steam library via paying somebody to gift the game to me, or does that not work because of some kind of region block?

• Locked thread