Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I don't know, it looks pretty good.

It is pretty good. It looks like Sonic, but plays more like a mash-up of every great platformer on the Genesis, including Gunstar Heroes and Ristar. Nice big levels, multiple characters with their own special routes/gimmicks through them, and in the early preview build I played, a couple of quite creative boss fights.

It's definitely more combat-focused than Sonic, depending on character played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Stink Terios posted:

Don't badmouth the next Shovel Knight.

That's a pretty good comparison. Shovel Knight was a big mash-up of the best elements from NES platformers, while this is the Genesis/Megadrive equivalent.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Gort posted:

Oh crap, I forgot just how thin a disguise "Open Hand" and "Closed Fist" were for a straight-up "Good vs Evil" alignment system. No no, "closed fist" choices might look evil you guys, but by feeding this guy to a demon I'm actually showing him how he should be strong and stand up for himself!

I kinda appreciated how much the 'closed fist' options ended up sounding like common right-wing rhetoric. 'I'll kick you in the face so you can pull yourself up by your bootstraps! Oh, you can't? Clearly you were doomed to fail anyway.' bullshit. Hatred and misanthropy with the thinnest veneer of self-assuaging benevolence.

I'm not entirely sure that Bioware intended for it to come off that way, though. They've always seemed a bit wooly on their actual intent, outside of more straightforward fantasy yarns like that Baldur's Gate series.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Everblight posted:

Wow, they just keep making Flatouts huh? Regardless of any demand or desire?

They only really made two (2.5 if you count the Ultimate Carnage re-release), and they were well regarded. The third is a shovelware shitheap by a third-party studio.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Phenotype posted:

Are there any discounts going for Divinity Original Sin? I was asking about Final Fantasy Tactics-like games last night, but Divinity is looking really good from what I've seen. Don't really want to pay full price ($50? The DLC seems important judging by the Divinity thread title) when I already have a dozen Summer Sale games I haven't touched.

It's brand new and has only JUST been dethroned from its three-week stint in the top-selling game on Steam by the current Quakecon Deal Of The Day. gently caress-all chance of it being discounted anytime soon. It's selling by the boatload still.

The Digital Collectors Edition is a two-pack, though. If you have a friend you can split the cost with, that's the cheapest way to get it.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Stink Terios posted:

Buy Freedom Planet if you want to Kung-Fu on motorcycles.
This game, holy poo poo. It's unlike anything Ive ever experienced.

I've been saying for a while (I had an early preview build - I've yet to play the final version) that it's basically to Genesis platformers what Shovel Knight was to the NES. A mash-up of all the most memorable elements that feels like its own game, for the most part.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Everblight posted:

And it's nothing like Sonic. Unless I'm being :thejoke:'d

There's definitely elements of Sonic in there, but it's mostly the aesthetic (characters and loops and pseudo-3D strips and auto-running bosses). The platforming itself I'd say is closer to Ristar than anything.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

John Murdoch posted:

Hrrrrm... Does Trendy have any goodwill left at this point?

After the developers spoke up about the problems within the company, management did apparently change for the better, for what it's worth.

As for the grind, they do mention a 'rebalanced endgame'.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

kojicolnair posted:

I read a few things about how it was supposedly developed for mobile and crossplay

So was the original version.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

John Murdoch posted:

Edit: As expected, SPUF is not pleased about it.

Those boards breed a special kind of crazy. I think the funniest comment was - paraphrasing - 'I have no idea what this is, so I'm not sure if I should be angry about it. I'm leaning towards anger.' And I'm pretty sure the guy was being completely sincere, too.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

pentyne posted:

The official Dungeon Defenders artwork.

That's one of many calls from the team leader that resulted in this expose article:

http://kotaku.com/investigation-a-video-game-studio-from-hell-511872642

The guy has since been removed from any kind of direct management role, which is good. By all accounts it's a good team, but they had one incredible rear end in a top hat leading things and loving things up, so the whole studio kinda spoke up at once to get rid of him.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

The Iron Rose posted:

I swear I never quite got the hate for EA. Origin is actually a fantastic platform and giveaways like these are pretty nice.

Origin has only just started to add support and features on par with Steam, and it took them a long, LONG time to reach that point. Back before EA rebranded it, it was a lovely little app called EA Downloader, and anything you bought through it had an expiry date. You could pay an extra $6 on top of your premium direct-from-publisher price for 'download insurance' so that you'd be able to access the game for another two years.

There has been so much wrong with Origin over the years. It's decent and unobtrusive enough now (although it's yet another password/login to remember), but it took a very long time to get to such a mediocre position.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

It's a little janky but it's pretty great. Not a fan of the rts sections though but they're totally optional so whatever. I should get back to that, I left off with the pirate faction I was in in a stalemate with the space governments while the robots slowly ate half the galaxy.

The addition of a proper Pirate faction in Space Rangers HD really makes things more interesting, and opens up a lot more ways to play. As you've seen, it's very possible for two factions to stalemate each other while the third gains ground.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

tidiox posted:

Isn't Pixel Piracy the game where the developers thought it would be a good/fun idea to simulate the pirates' bowel movements? And it ended in an issue where the pirates were defecating faster than you could feasibly clean the ship, thus filling the ship with feces?

Swab the poop deck!

Also, seconding that it sounds hilarious and kinda awesome to keep in as a feature with a little tuning.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Humble Bundle update:

Just Cause
Hitman Blood Money
Hitman Contracts
The Last Remnant

:)

Goddamn this is a good bundle.

For those not familiar with it, The Last Remnant is an experimental JRPG like Square used to make constantly through the SNES/PSX eras, but gave up on mostly once the PS2 came out.

It's weird, complex, often obtuse and plays like just about nothing else out there, other than Square's own SaGa series which it shares a development team with. Most of the big problems with it (performance, balance, etc) in the original Xbox 360 release were ironed out in the PC re-release. They seriously overhauled the game. It's still weird and unique and hard to figure out, but it's not broken anymore.

Obsessive completionists will either love it (if you have a wiki on hand) or hate it (so much hard to find and unusual stuff, including a final boss that evolves based on how many sidequest arcs you completed). Those who just kinda meander randomly through RPGs taking their own sweet time will probably be much happier all round, though. Be warned that the game doesn't reward grinding. Progression is almost always better than stat-pumping.

Edit: It also has some amazing orchestral-prog-rock battle themes. That, plus stylish animations and some funky monsters make the combat (the heart of the game, really) a joy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQXIhUhIg1U

Tons of battle themes, too. Dynamic - the track played will change based on how the game reckons the odds are stacked.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jul 29, 2014

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Drifter posted:

I don't know why you neglect to mention, even shallowly, the literally only unique (not that the other parts aren't also pretty solid and good) thing about the game, namely its combat.

It's a combat-based RPG, which I mention. And almost every gameplay mechanic is related to that. The setting is pretty strange too, though. Elves? Nah, we've got four-armed bat-cat people.

The gameplay flow isn't really trad-JRPG either. There's a whole mess of areas that the main story barely even looks at, but are explored fully in the (many) sidequests. I guess leftovers from early versions of the game - it was meant to have two campaigns, one for each side, but released with only one. In the PC version they at least added the ability to recruit the secondary antagonists via sidequests later on, though.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jul 29, 2014

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Well I was almost completely wrong anyway, unsurprisingly it's more complicated than I thought.

Ha, that sums up The Last Remnant, really. You will be wrong, and it will be more complicated than you thought. I recall reading that the Japanese 360 version got a huge phonebook-sized strategy guide that still barely covered the basics.

There's a million little systems and dice-rolls and modifiers all at work at any given moment. It's effectively impossible for a human to calculate odds of anything working on the fly, but you can get a good feel for what'll work and what won't. Let gut instinct guide you, just don't get hung up on the details - only madness lies that way.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 29, 2014

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

More Last RemnantChat: This page has some useful INI tweaks for the game that make it both look and run better. There's some weird little holdovers from the 360 version in the detail tuning that you can pretty easily squash.

I also recall that if you rename (or make a copy of) the game executable to UE3.exe, then Nvidia folks can force Vsync, anti-aliasing and SSAO for some extra shinies. The game is pretty light on the GPU by default, so you can probably squeeze some extra graphical niceness out of it with a little tweaking.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 29, 2014

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Lance Streetman posted:

According to Xseed's programmer Sara Leen, TitS was a nightmare of programming when it came to resolutions. I'm not surprised it's kinda buggy right out of the gate. Either way, she's working on it now so there should be some patches soon.

She's crazy dedicated, too - she was patching the Ys games up months after release. Not too surprising that problems got through. XSeed are a pretty small localization team, and their PC division is even smaller still, so they probably don't have too many testers.

Sucks that there's problems now, but I don't doubt they'll be fixed fairly soon.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

smenj posted:

EDIT: Although I have just played it with the hi-res fonts on and haven't had any issues. Maybe there was another patch that I didn't notice?

Probably. They've got a very dedicated coder on the job. I'd not be surprised if there were 2-3 patches a day until all the kinks are ironed out.

Edit: Some good deals over at BundleStars today. This bundle is $2 for the next 46 hours, and contains...

Great Games:
- Expeditions: Conquistador
- Rock Of Ages

Good Games:
- Knytt Underground
- Blockland

Blah
- Postal
- Steel Storm + DLC

Also, in their store they've got Shadowrun Online (early access, development slow) for $10, down from $30, if you're curious and want to see how another studio is handling the property.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 30, 2014

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Kibayasu posted:

If it helps at all that is, in fact, what the voice actor actually sounds like.

Yeah, I remember people complaining about the how horrible and fake and wannabe-batman he sounds. Dude has been in a bunch of TV, and that's just what his normal speaking voice is like.

I'm not sure if I'm jealous or not.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Downs Duck posted:

What was that/those mods that made Dead Island bearable again? Just started it up and it seems terribly slow and sluggish.

The Director's Cut mod. There's versions for both the base game and Riptide.

I'd recommend turning off damage floaters and health bars (physical damage is much more visible with the DC mod), turning ON level scaling (so a zombie will always be a zombie, rather than a zombie that looks regular but has 10x the HP of every other zombie), and using a gamepad with Analogue Melee mode turned on.

It turns it into more of a proper zombie brawler game, rather than Borderlands With Zombies. Enemies feel more like sacks of meat than abstract piles of hit points. A clean hit with a heavy weapon will almost always break or sever something, and the more visibly beat up a zombie is, the weaker its balance is, so wounded enemies can be punted into swimming pools easily.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Aug 1, 2014

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Downs Duck posted:

Riptide just a (stand alone?) expansion?

Pretty much. It's why it was so easy for the developer of the DC mod to port it over. Riptide is almost functionally identical under the hood.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Downs Duck posted:

I see, sounds good.

Also, I'm probably dumb, blind or both, 'cause I can only find the Riptide version of the Directors Cut mod, not the one for the original DI?

The Mediafire links on that page are what you want for the original Dead Island. The Github page is where the Riptide version lives.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I mentioned it a while back, but it kinda got lost in the crowd. Bundlestars are selling Early Access keys for Shadowrun Online - the OTHER kickstarter-funded Shadowrun game - for two thirds off. $10. Contrary to what the title might imply, this seems to be a campaign/story focused game.

This one is only for those who feel like living on the edge, or throwing a few bucks at the hope of another good Shadowrun game on the market. Be advised that it is currently VERY alpha at the moment and effectively is just an (unfinished) tutorial campaign right now. The official dev site says that Beta won't be happening until the end of this year at earliest, and launch probably a few months beyond that.

Something for Shadowrun fans to consider, at least.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Aug 2, 2014

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

MooCowlian posted:

I heard that a couple of months ago, they made a patch which badly hosed scaling and progression or something. Is that as big a deal as the Defiance thread made it seem, and is it fixed? I quite liked it to jump into occasionally, but if it's as messed up as they said it was...

Yeah, they've fixed it. They effectively added level-based progression (Borderlands style) to the game without actually testing it for any length of time, so it was a complete clusterfuck for a while.

By the time the second TV season was airing, all of those kinks had been worked out. The game has more linear progression now. It scales the player up to a degree when entering areas out of your depth, but you're still at a notable disadvantage. You've got to level up and get higher tier guns to really compete.

Whether you consider it an improvement or a game-ruining change depends whether you were cool with the idea of being able to use some of the first guns in the game for the entire length of the campaign, without ever needing to loot.

It's a pretty solid MMO shooter now. There's a big (free) expansion due in three days too, I believe.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Aug 2, 2014

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Both of the games seem to have had their fair share of development hell, but Defiance definitely seems to have come out of it on the right side. Between season 1 of the show ending and season 2 starting, they added a lot of content that didn't quite gel right, and rolled out a massive game-changing progression overhaul to replace the previously level-free structure at launch. It was a real mess for a while, but they really pulled it together at the last moment. A day or two before the TV show started again, they got everything working.

Now it's a genuinely neat little game. Very much a third-person Borderlands now. The first real expansion is coming this week, too, I believe.

As for Firefall, I don't think it's as much of a trainwreck as people are making it out to be, but there's a lot of features and ideas that seem to be mostly absent from earlier betas. They've definitely got a lot of work to do on it - it feels like they've pulled a lot of elements together and just called it V1.0. Even the first zone is full of controllable zones and watchtowers with NPC guards, but there's no war/invasion events happening to actually threaten them.

The currency stuff is definitely a clusterfuck though, and it's downright crazy that for a game that billed itself as a serious eSports-style shooter for so much of development, that the only PvP at launch is in a single endgame zone.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Aug 4, 2014

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Xaris posted:

I haven't played it, and I know goons like to hyperbole about poo poo and this is a bit of a derail, but have you ever admitted to any game being a trainwreck?

A lot of them! I reviewed X Rebirth a while back and actually had to delay even starting on that because it literally would not run faster than about 5fps on my Crysis 3-friendly machine. Even after a first round of patches it could only fairly be described as vaguely playable with a couple of good ideas buried until a shitload of bad implementation. I gather they've done a lot of work on it since then, but yeah, that's a fine example of a trainwreck at launch.

Before that, Space Hulk - it would have been a decent board game adaptation if it wasn't so overpriced, thin on content, and (at launch) so buggy that you couldn't play it with a local friend. Yep, a board game you can only play online because a bunch of key rules didn't work in hotseat.

And of COURSE I like every indie game ever made. That's why I point and laugh derisively at Xbox Live Indie Games on a regular basis, and why there's still a couple developers who will probably never talk to me again because I completely hammered their games.

The thing is that I really don't obsess over games I don't like. After reviewing those, I was done and didn't speak of them again. I also don't like a whole lot of super-popular games and even some whole genres, but I'm not one to piss on peoples corn flakes.

Hope that helps.

As for Firefall, I just don't think it's an unholy trainwreck. It's playable right now, just bland and very short on content. A world away from X: Rebirth's problems. The worst thing is that it seems to be missing big features that were implemented waaaay back in earlier beta builds. It's not going to give anyone cancer, but I'd certainly not call it good. There's potential there if they can put all the pieces back together, but it's still weird that they called this a release version.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Aug 4, 2014

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Malek posted:

It's Angry Birds only with Castle Siege-ing. This is good thing.

It's a hell of a lot more involved and active than Angry Birds, which is also a good thing.

Generally speaking, Castlestorm is a game well worth playing. The DLC packs are each a hefty chunk of new content, too.

Ghostlight posted:

It wasn't bad overall. It just wasn't anything special in a sea of level grind currency storm F2Ps.

That's the thing that gets me about Firefall. For all its development hell and rushed release, it's frustratingly almost good. If the dynamic event stuff worked right (it doesn't), and there was arena PvP (there isn't), and the business model was a little less obnoxious (it's kinda crazy how in-your-face it is) it would probably all come together nicely. There's a bunch of elements there that should add up to a good game, but it feels like there's no glue holding it in place.

It'll either get fixed (ala Defiance, which is well worth playing now) or it'll burn out and nobody will remember it in six months.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Aug 5, 2014

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Tezzeract posted:

I haven't heard too many folks talk about this game, but Ghost Recon Phantoms is pretty neat. Definitely worth trying out if you want a decent PVP shooter.

Yeah, the cash shop stuff is kinda obnoxious, but despite there being a huge 'combat rating' difference between tiers of guns, there's actually very little real firepower change. It's kinda trying to lean on players to spend big for very, very minor advantages.

Outside of the payment model it's a really neat little game. Kinda like a more evolved version of GR: Future Soldier's multiplayer. I like the focus on cover and flanking, and how the defensive team really do have the advantage. I'm no fan of Counter-Strike/Call of Duty style hyper-twitchy shooters. I'd much rather have a second or two to hunker down and come up with a plan.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

revdrkevind posted:

L Trigger: Aim Mode. The comparison to Resident Evil isn't hard to see?

You... are a special snowflake, aren't you? Dead Space has its problems, but they're mostly due to it being pretty much a third-person shooter, even more arcadey than Doom 3. Having an aim button is not one of those issues.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Zombie Samurai posted:

Why are you all arguing about lovely controls instead of playing The Expendabros for free?

This is crazy-savvy marketing by Devolver, who have consistently impressed me these past couple years. Expendabros is essentially a demo/shareware episode for Broforce, but with official Expendables branding.

The movie probably doesn't gain much coverage from this, but Broforce - an indie shooter by a teensy tiny 6-person team in South Africa of all places - gets a mountain of positive buzz.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

mr. nobody posted:

If you're sold on it, buy it. I don't even know why it's in early access anymore the game is pretty much done.

They've got a LOT left to add. They've got a whole new set of environments and alien enemies to add still, and there's a pretty big list of characters they're still working on.

The gameplay itself is mostly worked out at this point, it's just content (tilesets, enemies, levels) that they're developing now.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Niggurath posted:

If anything, that Mitsurugi game is worth getting if only because the cards still sell for like .40 a piece. But is that Y's game one of the good ones? I seem to recall some people asking a week or so ago, and someone gave a break down regarding which Y's game was good or not.

All of the PC Ys games are good. And that's a great bundle if you go in for $10. Astebreed is a fantastic shooter, even if you're not good at the genre. Normal mode is very forgiving and you can just enjoy the game as a lasery rollercoaster ride. It only really starts getting punishing when you're shooting for high scores or playing Hard mode.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Is Nosgoth a moba?

Nope. Closer to the old Vampire Slayer mod for Half-Life, but third-person.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

For an asymmetrical game, that's really the only way for it to be fair. Let each team have a shot at being both attackers and defenders. Ghost Recon: Phantoms does the same as standard - you play one round on either side, and your total victory points are tallied over both.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Gamersgate has all your good old Dungeons & Dragons computer game titles in one (and Temple of Elemental Evil, which isn't good)

ToEE is very good now. It just took about a decade of fan-patching to get there.

There's also no reason not to get the 'new content' version of that mod, because almost all of it is post-story expansion content (a whole city of it, even), and doesn't mess with the core game at all.

Edit: Oh yeah, Keep On The Borderlands (a whole new ToEE campaign) was released while I was on vacation in America, too. That might be worth checking out.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Aug 10, 2014

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Drifter posted:

Why on earth would you say ToEE isn't good? It's one of the better party based D&D games out there. Best ones are the Icewind Dales, though.

Out-of-the-box ToEE was hellaciously buggy and broken. Moreso even than Vampire: Bloodlines.

A full decade of fan-patches and an unofficial expansion later, and it's great. More of a tactical SRPG kinda deal than a story-driven RPG, but a lot of fun if you know your basic D&D rules.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

Ice-Pick's having some fun with teasing the Pathologic remake. You get emails from a sick woman if you sign up for it, and there's a secret on the page (skull on the left) but nothing to enter for the prompt yet too.

I'm really excited about this. Pathologic was a great game held back by technological limitations and a publisher-outsourced trainwreck of a translation. For a game that relies so heavily on text, that was just awful. Ice-Pick Lodge have got both of those issues worked out. The Void showed that they were capable of producing some gorgeous looking 3D environments, and they did the localization for that in-house, and it worked out great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Quest For Glory II posted:

And then this other bundle which starts at $1:

Cubegun
Jet Gunner
Hostile Waters: Anteaus Rising
Guns & Robots Starter Pack
War in a Box: Paper Tanks

http://www.flyingbundle.com/

Totally worth it just for Hostile Waters. Jet Gunner looks pretty fun too.

• Locked thread