Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
So it finally happened: My desktop computer's main hard-drive died last month, and I was procrastinating forever (Mainly because other major Life Things were happening at the time), but I finally have a new hard drive, with Windows installed.

It died in the main sense that Windows was corrupted and wouldn't boot. Going by what some more tech-savvy friends have said, there's some chance most of my more sensitive things are still intact, so I can hopefully pull off everything I need to save with dragging and dropping.

But what of my saved games? I didn't mess with cloud settings but there were some games that I disabled them when the steam client was being dumb about closing them fully. I wasn't smart enough to have the Steam save utility in the OP (I will now), but can it, or any other tool like it, help facilitate my saved games over to the new drive, assuming they aren't already corrupted?

Skyrim might be the only game that I care to retain the install of, so would dragging and dropping be feasible with that? Any other basic things I should know?

Thanks for your help, and sorry if any of my questions were dumb. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Justin_Brett posted:

Are there any known problems about Bad Rats that could make it crash on start-up? It's doing that for me.

(Yes I want to play it)

It's a sign. Don't do it! :negative:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Only one of my 250+ friends have played Edge Of Space and they're asleep, so I'll ask the thread. Has anyone played? Is the combat and looting fun? That's all I really need to drive me. I've been considering getting back into randomized scavenging/digging games a la Starbound or State of Decay, but rather than tacking on the hours to games I already have, I figure to try out this new one. The reviews seem mostly positive, but I'd like to hear if anyone has any resounding approvals or if I'm treading on dangerous ground.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Is it bad that I want to buy Humble Bundle 12 mainly for the novelty that I have none of those games? :ohdear:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

lordfrikk posted:

I didn't have any of them, either! Feels good, man. The bundle is worth it, though, regardless of the reason you're buying it.

No kidding. Clicking all of them in a row and getting "Successfully redeemed to Monkeyhuouse" was oddly satisfying.

It's odd when you have a fear of "possibly already having games". It's so first-world it's drat near cyberpunk.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Oh hell what great timing for a Capcom sale. I just realized that I'm going to be shipping my PS2 to my ex soon, so now I have to (re!)buy RE4 if I want to beat it.

Thanks, steam. :unsmith:

Morter fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Sep 11, 2014

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Terminally Bored posted:

RE4 HD is really really good. They even made the game run at 60fps and then patched in new, better lighting. It's probably the best version of RE4 you can get nowadays.

5 and 6 are still poo poo in sp though, get these only if you want to play co-op

So, I'm an odd little duck that couldn't really get into the earlier Resident Evil games, and what little I played of 5 (coop) and 6 (have on steam, Solo), I'm not the biggest fan of. However, I did really enjoy RE:Revelations on the 3DS. Hell, to date it's the only ResEvil game I've actually beaten.

So, considering it's that much newer, is RE4 worth trying? I played maybe an hour on the PS2, and I didn't hate it, but having tried and blown off most other RE games before Revelations, I dunno how I'd feel about this :10bux: investment.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Dominic White posted:

Yeah, RE 5 & 6 are absolutely built around co-op. If you play them solo, you're missing out on a lot. It's like playing Left 4 Dead in singleplayer: Possible, maybe even playable, but deeply unsatisfying.

The levels themselves are built around cooperative actions, like splitting paths and providing covering fire for each other, and the combat engine itself has a lot of co-op elements like tag team attacks.

That said, if anyone needs motivation to play or beat RE6 (example: me), hit me up on steam and we'll be zombie-kicking buddies :shobon:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

I have, the respawning checkpoint system makes the game a slog and gets in the way of the enjoyable gameplay.

I dunno, those just gave me more dudes to shoot. Whereas more of the vocal posters here like to mention that they don't like slaughtering thousands without a challenge/reason/goal, I spend 60+ hours doing just that thanks to respawning, and loved all 60 hours of it. So if you do want an (in my opinion) immersive rooty-tooty-roam-and-shooty, I'd play FC2.

Cathair posted:

Never question video games

:siren:Perfect New Thread Title:siren:

Morter fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Sep 13, 2014

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

The Internet Movie Firearms Database write-up was a fun read as well.

Thank you for reminding me of this. :roflolmao:

Also, I loved the map-item in FC2: how it was something you had to physically hold in one hand and look down at, taking your eyes away from the still moving world. It's happened a few times but one of the most jarring and memorable moments was on a boat in a lake which I swore was way beyond the sight of any enemy AI. So I peeked at the map while slowly cruising on my boat...only to get mortared from a nearby island. :owned:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

A picture that glorious, I feel like I should've paid money to view. That's drat fine artwork.

That said, someone spoil it for me and tell me who the corpse on the bottom right is?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

My only gripe in Batman combat is that the shield-man-stun (B-A-A) always broke the combo for me, even when flowing it successfully within a combo. Got annoying.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Deakul posted:

Postal 2 isn't worth anything unless you get it for free.
Use the $3 on a coffee.

I don't know, I remember liking Postal 2 a lot, especially for its "sandbox" nature. Then again, I was a stupid teenager.

But for 3 bucks, it would help me get my mind off these other games I have to play :stare:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

I feel like it's mildly relevant because it involves both Steam and Humble Bundle.

I just had an odd password scare with PayPal, wherein sometime last week I bought the humble bundle, with the same paypal password I always use.

Just some hours ago, I bought Postal 2 (I know you guys told me not to, I couldn't help it :smith:), and I had no problem automagically purchasing it without it needing my password.

When I go to buy the humble mobile bundle for today, my password doesn't work. Even when I go to paypal.com on my own and try my password, it failed. I got a little scared but successfully changed it, but only then did it notify me, via email, that I had changed my password, although there was no reason my older password shouldn't have been working--it must have been changed.

Has anyone ever had a scare like that? Or is it just me being paranoid :ohdear:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Dr Suntory posted:

You're probably being paranoid. Paypal sends you an email over every change in your account, the one you received was because you changed the pw (probably with the "forgot password" feature?)
Humble Bundle never sees your password; Paypal just logged you out after a while, that just happened to be within two purchases today, which made it seem weird.

To be safe check your paypal account history for recent purchases. Also, if you're using the old pw anywhere else, change it.

edit: you prob mistyped your old pw somehow (upper/lower case or numlock are frequent offenders)

Not to argue, but I had made sure it wasn't just the humble bundle site--I opened the paypal site and tried my (old) password, which I had used last week without an issue. It was a relatively simple one, too. I've had email hacks a few times. The first thing I think when an easy-for-me-to-remember password inexplicably stops working is that it's been hacked.

Luckily, no recent transactions or anything.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:cawg: Whatever bit this is, keep it up

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

I'd love some more former console exclusives :3:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

I'm not at all a fan of Lord of the Rings (Don't hate it, just indifferent), but War in the North, besides being a terrible name, looks like a decent 5bux hack'n'slash. Can anyone convince me otherwise?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Crappy Jack posted:

We just talked about it a few posts up. Can be a little repetitive without a co-op buddy or two.

I might've missed something but I've ctrl+F'd the past 5 pages including "Lord" "Ring" "North" and "lotr", before posting and didn't find a thing. :psyduck:

Also Space Marine is a decent, fun, albeit basic-ish shooter/melee thing for 6 bux.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

A Bystander posted:

Real Deadly Premonition fans 100% percent the game.

That's a whole lot of percents.

Morter fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Sep 18, 2014

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

smenj posted:

Skimmed the last few pages and haven't seen anybody else asking, so here goes:

As someone who enjoyed the hell out of Arkham Asylum and City, is Origins worth getting for £5.74? I've heard lots of complaints about it (several of my friends say something's off with the combat, for some reason, though I have no idea what's apparently been changed), but other than a couple of things (plot not being as good and such), I'm not sure what those were. I've also heard a small minority say it's their favourite of the Arkham games. Shall I just go for it, or wait a bit until it's slightly cheaper (or goes on sale on GMG, where I have credit to spend)?

Yes, get it. I'd only not recommend Arkham Origins if you hated the first two games. But obviously, since you're a "big fan", then more of the same = more fun to be had.

JoJo pose! :peanut:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

DoctorOfLawls posted:

How is Batman™: Arkham Origins Blackgate - Deluxe Edition?

Generally panned to the point that I--a non-Batman fan that loves the console Arkham games, am opting to skip unless it becomes free for whatever reason.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Shot in the dark, but does it play at all like the side-scrolling Spiderman games on the DS? Because I fell in love with those. :allears:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Hey, I know it's a blast from the past but is Sin worth playing? It's one of the few games in the current GOG sale that I'm interested in playing and that I haven't played yet. A comment that mentioned that the world is as interacted as Duke3D, a game I love and replay often. But as much as I love older shooters, this is the first I've heard of it.

Morter fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Sep 19, 2014

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Mortimer posted:

hey I know it's a blast from the 'this isn't the gog thread' but there's a GoG thread
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3091455
also sin is weird and cool, try it out

My bad, didn't know there was a thread. I'll ask there, thanks. :shobon:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

So uh, This game happened

The "Kill Every Thing" trailer announcer sounds like Torque. I'm mildly intrigued.

Morter fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 19, 2014

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

"T/N Note" I loving love you :allears:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

KoB posted:

More Jojo poses please.

Is this a JoJo pose? Is my Fabulous lore not current?! :ohdear:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Drifter posted:

LR is legit really good as far as jrpgs go.

How fun is the combat? This is important.

(Yes I'm aware I'm asking about combat in a JRPG)

Morter fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Sep 20, 2014

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Grey Elephants posted:

I've had an itch for some kind of ARPG. Not necessarily even a traditional Diablo style one, any kind of RPG without turn based combat sounds good. What would be a solid one? I've tried PoE, Marvel Heroes, Kingdoms of Amalur, and Torchlight but they didn't do it for me.

Buy War in the North and tell me us if it's fun. It's 5 bucks.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:supaburn:

"Doushite? We were helping...desu"

Okay i'm sorry.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Other than the mild bullet-sponginess of the enemies, Far cry 2 was the first game I really fell in love with in terms of the gunplay. The minor desperation of hoping the next clip didn't neutralize your own gun--and also the feeling of picking up a fresh one at an armory, was thrilling on different levels but both enjoyable.

Plus, nothing pleased me more than finally picking up the thumper, hearing the familiar revving of an enemy jeep, only to one-shot destroy it into a building-high pillar of smoke.

Far Cry 3's guns were great, the entire game's gameplay felt like a first-person cinematic. Killing enemies, in the meanwhile, was a bit less satisfying, save for when I pulled off some fun stealth moments. Still, taking over the map is stupid.

Either way, both games were great and I didn't regret pumping so many hours into either. :shobon:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Ddraig posted:

Sleeping Dogs. Pure Hong Kong action film.

Sleeping Dogs is a great game, but a terrible sandbox game. The flow of the story was great but there was nothing compelling me to do anything outside of the missions other than hear the pork bun guy berate me for not having a pork bun in my hand.

I've heard good things about Injustice, but I'm not a super big comicbook guy, and the last fighting game I've played seriously was JoJo All Star Battle, and before than Guilty Gear, both solo. Is this game worth getting?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Holy hell, that loving nude banana. I hate it so much :argh:.

Back on the discussion of games, I finally got the Shock Gloves in Arkham Origins and as much as some people panned the game for being too samey, buggy, or not Rockstead-y, this game fills me with joy. I am amazed at how many ways the Batman franchise comes up with a rich man to absolutely physically abuse and torture criminals. A "non-lethal dose of kinetic electricity"?! Really?! He just loving hadoken'd a stunned man in armor.

This game series is so loving good :flashfap:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Ryuga Death posted:

Crimsonland is 55% off as part of the weeklong deal. Is it worth picking up? It looks like mindless fun.

I don't have anything against the genre, but after having a game like Nation Red, I feel like buying a new arena/survival/horde game with perks and stuff is redundant.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Niggurath posted:

For anyone that was looking to get Lovely Planet for a little bit cheaper (and a Stalker game and some janky looking FPS games), there's a bundle over at bundlestars that has it for 3.99: http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/fps-redux-bundle/. I remember hearing people having fun with it and I seem to recall that Stalker game was complete booty.

Oh drat, I am irrationally attracted to FPS games, and the fact that I own 4 out of the 10 is the only thing making me hesitate.

That said, this thing seems to last 28 days (?!), so if anyone could tell me how great/bad (ie: really great) games like Dark Raid and Dead Effect are, I'd appreciate it :shobon:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Malek posted:

Just get the feeling that if someone were viewing it at a distance it would look like some sort of nudist fighting hentai thing. But I'm probably over thinking it. (The text seems to be blocking the clothing)

I don't think quite as many random onlookers in this world would know about "nudist hentai fighting" things. And if they do, it's not something they'd likely bother you about (for shame of they themselves knowing).

Take solace in that, and play your SOCIAL BOSS FIGHTS with an eased mind, my friend.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Ddraig posted:

I remember having a lot of fun with it but I can't remember any specifics for the life of me.

Yeah trauma will do that to you.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Ugh I hate you guys for convincing me to download ZMR. But I guess better that than throwing cash at crappy FPS bundles, or Frontlines, which is a game I bought and dropped for the X360.

So thanks, I guess :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Lance Streetman posted:

I think this is from me playing Steamworld Dig.

Oh poo poo, Hawken's free to play? :f5:

• Locked thread