Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I enjoy the occasional live bootleg and once in a great while I come across an IEM or ALD recording. I understand they find the frequency these are broadcasted on and record it. That's where my understanding ends. What I'm wondering is: are they any good tutorials on actually capturing these at a show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

Puppy Galaxy posted:

I enjoy the occasional live bootleg and once in a great while I come across an IEM or ALD recording. I understand they find the frequency these are broadcasted on and record it. That's where my understanding ends. What I'm wondering is: are they any good tutorials on actually capturing these at a show?

It's really not that hard to do but my question would by why would you want to? Musician's using in-ears are doing it so they can hear themselves and whatever other instruments they want. They VERY seldom contain a full mix of the entire band and even then, it's not going to sound anything remotely like that coming from the PA. Many times, it's just their vocals on top, and whatever instrument they're playing (if any), some lead or rhythm guitar, maybe a little kick, snare and hat. If you're going to go through the trouble of sneaking a recording device and receiver pack into a venue, it's probably better to just stand in the audience and record what's coming from the PA. Not to mention that most professional IEM systems start around $1000 and broadcast in different frequency bands, which could make looking for the actual channel they're using a complete shot-in-the-dark seeing as there are hundreds of combinations of frequencies and devices.

ALS (or an ALD) on the other hand, is an assisted listening system (or device). A venue is required by law (generally) to provide these devices to those who need it. They should be just a matrix send (copy) of the master LR Bus of the FOH console. If you were to bootleg a recording, that would be the place to do it from. Many times however, they are just a mono feed from a lovely FM transmitter so you're not going to get any stereo imaging and the quality could be shoddy but it will be true to what the audience is hearing. If a venue is equipped with such a system, all one would be required to do is ask for an assisted listening device, the venue then should give you a little receiver pack and some headphones and from there, you can take the headphone out and go into a recorder. Of course, recording of any kind is usually prohibited (but not always) by either the artist, the venue or both and if you are caught, it would probably get you into a fair amount of trouble.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Echoing the above, I can't imagine any one particular monitor mix actually sounding good at all (from a musical standpoint anyway).

The actual mechanics aren't difficult.

Determine the frequency/ies in use (bear in mind that each performer will usually be on a different frequency with a different mix going to his receiver), tune a plain old FM scanner/wideband receiver to that frequency, plus it's headphone/line out into your recorder and bam.

It really IS that simple, that's coming from an amateur radio background as well as my use of wireless IEM too.

That said, again, don't waste time on it, unless you're capturing multiple feeds you're just going to get some weird mix like mine, with my vox in my left ear mostly, my guitar mostly in my right and a mix of the other guitar, bass, kick and whatever else I feel like at the moment somewhere in between.

Those levels also have nothing to do with having the music in my head sound good and everything with providing me a reference point and 'backing track' to play along to.

Also, lots of us that use IEMs have a room mic somewhere to drop in a bit of ambient noise, to make sure we don't miss that one chucklefuck who always has to shout 'Free Bird' at that perfect moment.

If you want to know more, just let me know, but really, don't waste your time.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Thanks for the responses. I'm familiar with the fact that all IEMs will have radically different mixes. I was under the impression that some larger acts might have an IEM mix that's essentially the same as what's piped over the PA, but I think I came across some bad info. I think I'd be more interested in capturing an ALD feed. I'd feel a little skeezy asking for one of the venue's devices, but I'm guessing they also broadcast over an FM frequency? So theoretically, I could pick up that feed on the same type of device that would pick up an IEM feed?

• Locked thread