Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

No, not really. Aside from the whole Werewolf vs Vampire thing, Underworld doesn't really go in a WoD direction. Blade, on the other hand, has vampire clans, a vampiric bible, human servants (familiars in the movie, ghouls in the game), younger vampires vs older vampires, ancient blood-gods, etc.

I mean, none of that stuff is particularly original, but it's still funny to me.

The Vampire: The Masquerade people literally sued the guys who made Underworld for ripping them off so blatantly, and won.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

TheJoker138 posted:

The Vampire: The Masquerade people literally sued the guys who made Underworld for ripping them off so blatantly, and won.

Yeah, but IIRC the only reason they won that lawsuit was because they had making-of footage of the director directly stating he ahd been inspired by Vampire or something like that. Blade is the movie that actually resembles the setting and the atmosphere of the game.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

DangerDummy! posted:

I did say he was more technically inspired, but yeah that was a low blow.

Accurate though as their two of the most boring Directors working today.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Blade is definitely an all-time top-10 superhero movie by any metric that makes sense.

Blade 2 has a couple cool moments, pretty much all involving the Nu Vampires, but was easily Del Toro's worst movie until Pacific Rim.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Pacific Rim is worse than Mimic?

Man that's a weird comparison to make.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

I think so, yeah. Mimic's not great or anything but it's the kind of thing I'll definitely stop for if I'm channelsurfing and have nothing better to do. I like the monster design a lot, and there are at least two cool set pieces.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.

Timeless Appeal posted:

You might get something out of it in contrast to Captain America as it deals with someone who takes the super soldier serum. It's definitely not an entirely braindead film, and the Hulk/Banner dichotomy is interesting. There are definitely some things you can read into regarding Banner's eventual acceptance of the Hulk. Stuff that is disregarded and ultimately muddled in Avengers. I also like that the big Manhattan fight scene is in Harlem.

Also the single greatest not-yet-villain in the entire MCU

I swear to god we need Hulk 2 already if for no other reason than to have Tim Blake Nelson come back as the Leader and play him as the goofiest spazziest evil genius in movie history :allears:.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

mind the walrus posted:

Mimic is at least funny, and has a great monster. Pacific Rim has...Idris Elba, I guess?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Of Del Toro's films, the only ones to really stick with me were Hellboy (the cast commentary adds to this - its loving fantastic, Perlman and Tambor own this), Pan's Labyrinth, and The Devils' Backbone (which I need to revisit, its been a while). I remember Blade being awesome back in the day but I need to revisit it to see how it holds up for myself. Pacific Rim was entertaining but I have no desire to go back and watch it - I got what I need out of it. Plus Godzilla filled that niche better for me.

Del Toro has great vision and design but he needs someone better to bring his ideas to the screen.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

Of Del Toro's films, the only ones to really stick with me were Hellboy (the cast commentary adds to this - its loving fantastic, Perlman and Tambor own this), Pan's Labyrinth, and The Devils' Backbone (which I need to revisit, its been a while). I remember Blade being awesome back in the day but I need to revisit it to see how it holds up for myself. Pacific Rim was entertaining but I have no desire to go back and watch it - I got what I need out of it. Plus Godzilla filled that niche better for me.

Del Toro has great vision and design but he needs someone better to bring his ideas to the screen.

Just to clarify, the first Blade is by Stephen Norrington, Del Toro only did the second one.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

MonsieurChoc posted:

Edit: My favorite Captain America movie is Sunshine.

I love Sunshine in that the director says Chris Evans' character is too good and capable and that's why they did what they did with him. Otherwise he would have solved everything.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Just to clarify, the first Blade is by Stephen Norrington, Del Toro only did the second one.

Oh yes - got caught up in all the Blade talk (Blade 2 and 3 were horrible).

Codependent Poster posted:

I love Sunshine in that the director says Chris Evans' character is too good and capable and that's why they did what they did with him. Otherwise he would have solved everything.

Sunshine made me love Chris Evans' - in fact, I didnt even know it was him until he shaved the beard ( I went into the movie totally blind... ignore the pun). He's so great in everything I see him in now - I wonder if Fantastic 4 1 & 2 would be better with this knowledge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSfp9WG9P2E

Fake Edit: Nope.

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jul 21, 2014

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Vintersorg posted:

Sunshine made me love Chris Evans

Me too. Sunshine is such a great film. Highly underrated imo. Evans is awesome in the Snowpiercer, Scott Pilgrim, and The Iceman too. I also unironically enjoy Push and The Losers.

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

teagone posted:

Me too. Sunshine is such a great film. Highly underrated imo. Evans is awesome in the Snowpiercer, Scott Pilgrim, and The Iceman too. I also unironically enjoy Push and The Losers.

You forgot Not Another Teen Movie, it's actually a somewhat funny film and he is hilarious in it. Just look at his expressions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veVv6WqMHck

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

And charming as gently caress in What's Your Number? which my girlfriend loves and I only watch cause of Evans (we watched it twice in a span of 2 weeks - typical girl doesn't realize the guy closest is the best thing shlock).

We need a Chris Evans appreciation station!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I don't even like Sunshine but Chris Evans is definitely awesome in it. He also stole the show out from under Michael Shannon in The Iceman.

I love him as Cap, but after Snowpiercer and The Iceman I'd definitely like to see him transition towards weirder stuff.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
First movie I saw with Chris Evans was Cellular. It was a criminally stupid concept for a movie starring some pretty face guy I had never seen before.

He totally won me over. Still a forgettable movie, but he was really likeable in it.

Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

Rhyno posted:

It is rumored that Edgar Wright refused to include a Moon Knight cameo in Ant Man, perhaps they want to launch their own Batman franchise?

I know this post is a little bit older but oh god please let this happen. Moon Knight is my all time favorite marvel character.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Kush posted:

You forgot Not Another Teen Movie, it's actually a somewhat funny film and he is hilarious in it. Just look at his expressions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veVv6WqMHck
Jeez that was him? Learning that is on the same revelatory level for me as seeing Paul Walker in Pleasantville.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Elucidarius posted:

I know this post is a little bit older but oh god please let this happen. Moon Knight is my all time favorite marvel character.

I hope it wasn't total BS.

Sign me up for the Chris Evans love train. Dude seems determined to star in as many comic book films as he possibly can and I love it.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Unleashed is rad, and I want to see Hulk blow up downtown Toronto.

Then you better not bother. On the Man of Steel scale for collateral damage the final fight barely even registers.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Captain America 1 is the only Marvelverse film that I consider genuinely good, (in fact, it's possibly the best superhero film ever made) but I'll admit that I haven't seen all of Incredible Hulk. The combination of it being the least popular in a pile of bad movies, the 'more punching than Ang Lee' rep, and the notorious rewrites give me a powerful case of indifference.

If someone can make a good case for it, I'll watch it. Unleashed is rad, and I want to see Hulk blow up downtown Toronto.

There is a scene where Live Tyler as Betty is ferociously making out with Ed Norton's Banner who starts to get excited and his monitor goes off signaling he might Hulk out if they bang. He stops but Betty indicates it's okay and to keep going. He doesnt. There is probably good subtext meat in there.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Sounds like Dwayne Johnson is playing Captain Marvel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7Ef8qx6uOI

If it's anything like his role in "Pain and Gain", I'll be in the theater on day one.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

He could definitely play the kid in a superhero body thing well. So I hope it has humor.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Codependent Poster posted:

He could definitely play the kid in a superhero body thing well. So I hope it has humor.

Yeah, he loving kills at being funny, he really is becoming a fully rounded and telented actor.

Still prefer him to be Darkseid though.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Still prefer him to be Darkseid though.

gently caress that, just let Michael Ironside voice and play the character again.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

This has got to be the one time racists won't whine about a black man playing a formerly white character. Everyone loves Dwayne!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Wendell posted:

This has got to be the one time racists won't whine about a black man playing a formerly white character. Everyone loves Dwayne!

Someone's going to complain, trust me.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I'm going to complain but only because he'd be a better Black Adam. But only just.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Thwomp posted:

gently caress that, just let Michael Ironside voice and play the character again.

Having once met the man, he's soooo short. And I don't want a CGI Doud Side. Put that helmet on the Rock and all is perfect.

Wait, if the Rock is in a DC movie how is he going to play Namor?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Rhyno posted:

Having once met the man, he's soooo short. And I don't want a CGI Doud Side. Put that helmet on the Rock and all is perfect.

Wait, if the Rock is in a DC movie how is he going to play Namor?

Chris Evans was in a Marvel movie (Fantastic Four), a DC movie (The Losers), a indie comic movie (Scott Pilgrim), Marvel movies again (Cap), then indie again (Snowpiercer).

And isn't Hercules a comic book movie?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Davros1 posted:

Chris Evans was in a Marvel movie (Fantastic Four), a DC movie (The Losers), a indie comic movie (Scott Pilgrim), Marvel movies again (Cap), then indie again (Snowpiercer).

If the Rock is signing on the play Captain Marvel that's going to be a multi-film commitment, he's not going to be going over to Universal to be Namor anytime within that contract. Not even close to the same circumstances.

Also Push was a comic book that never got made, ended up as a film and then had a tie in comic produced. So that counts on his resume too.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Davros1 posted:

Snowpiercer is indie?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

AnonSpore posted:

Snowpiercer is indie?

Korea isn't a real country I guess.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

HorseRenoir posted:

Sounds like Dwayne Johnson is playing Captain Marvel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7Ef8qx6uOI

If it's anything like his role in "Pain and Gain", I'll be in the theater on day one.

The bit about John Stewart makes it sound like Hal will be the movieverse Lantern. Awesome.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

AnonSpore posted:

Snowpiercer is indie?

I think he meant the comic, not the film.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
The Rock is all wrong for Namor anyway, who would want that?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Neo_Reloaded posted:

The Rock is all wrong for Namor anyway, who would want that?

Are you nuts? Who else could convey that swagger, imagine him bellowing IMPERIUS REX!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I don't really see Dwayne Johnson as Captain Marvel, I am not super familiar with the character, but he doesn't strike me as the funny tough guy that Dwayne normally plays. And Namor seems like an even weirder choice.

• Locked thread