Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dwarf74 posted:

... Why? Is there something I'm missing :confused:

winson is like that bird in the advertisements for the chocolate cereal except for instead of chocolate cereal it's talislanta and instead of a bird it's a dad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.

Quarex posted:

Unrelated in every possible way, I know a guy who is trying to run a Game-of-Thrones-style game (because this guy can be counted on to try to run "current cultural zeitgeist" games every 5 years) but for some reason has decided it should be a D20 game. This ... this has to be the wrong system in every possible way for a game mostly about political intrigue and a little bit about sex and murder, right?

System doesn't matter.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Tollymain posted:

winson is like that bird in the advertisements for the chocolate cereal except for instead of chocolate cereal it's talislanta and instead of a bird it's a dad
Oh. Well, I've missed that. :blush:

Honestly, it looks really solid to my 39-year-old eyes in a way it didn't when I was 15. I'm digging it a lot more than D&D 5e anyway.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

zachol posted:

System doesn't matter.
That is not what this subforum has been trying to get me to believe for years :mad:

Fine, I will tell him he has to use Fantasy HERO and leave it at that. No, wait; Ninja HERO.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Quarex posted:

That is not what this subforum has been trying to get me to believe for years :mad:

Fine, I will tell him he has to use Fantasy HERO and leave it at that. No, wait; Ninja HERO.

Marvel Heroic Roleplay, but all the superpowers are social based.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Ironic comedy option: Houses of the Blooded.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

FATAL. Roll for Jon's anal circumference. :colbert:

edit: This assumes that system doesn't matter. I mean, why would it?

Darwinism fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jul 27, 2014

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Quarex posted:

I saw my first 5th Edition starter set in the wild today, and I do not think it is a coincidence that the only bookstore in the small town I was in that had a copy was the only one where the clerk had a 1970s mustache. Yet he looked to be about 20 years old.

Unrelated in every possible way, I know a guy who is trying to run a Game-of-Thrones-style game (because this guy can be counted on to try to run "current cultural zeitgeist" games every 5 years) but for some reason has decided it should be a D20 game. This ... this has to be the wrong system in every possible way for a game mostly about political intrigue and a little bit about sex and murder, right?

It's not such a great system, but the Green Ronin ASOIAF RPG I thought did an admirable job of trying to evoke the right themes with the system it had. He should really try using that. The Guardians of Order GoT RPG was a pretty bog standard "gritty" d20 iteration with a huge, daunting mess of setting details piled on top of it. I can't imagine him doing better than that; not because GoO was so hot, but because d20 just doesn't seem like a good fit.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jul 27, 2014

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Quarex posted:

Have you considered Fiasco?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

potatocubed posted:

Have you considered Fiasco?

Sometimes playing a session of Fiasco and starting out characters from the survivors is the right way to go.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
If there isn't already a Game Of Thrones playset for Fiasco then something is very, very wrong with the world.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

dwarf74 posted:

Nope!

I picked up the 2e book when I was a kid, but couldn't get into it. It wasn't rules-y enough. I was into AD&D, Torg, etc.

I looked it up, saw it was free now, and checked the 4e vs 5e differences. 4e looks more my style, so I've been reading it. I really like the system, at first blush anyway, and have started digging into the setting.

... Why? Is there something I'm missing :confused:

I have been a die hard Tal fan for ages, and occasionaly beat the drum for it around here. 4E is probably the most solid book they ever did, honestly the only thing 5E did was dial back the timeline (so people could play through the events they skipped) and add chargen. As a learning book 4e is certainly better, since the BIG BLUE was a one stop shop.

Folks interest in talislanta, btw, can get it all for free at https://www.talislanta.com - the author got tired of the RPG bullshit and just released his creation into the wild following a massive fan effort to scan all the old materials.

What are you looking to ask about? I am a font of lore.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Quarex posted:

I saw my first 5th Edition starter set in the wild today, and I do not think it is a coincidence that the only bookstore in the small town I was in that had a copy was the only one where the clerk had a 1970s mustache. Yet he looked to be about 20 years old.

Robin Laws' HILLFOLK would do GoT style gaming pretty well.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Winson_Paine posted:

I have been a die hard Tal fan for ages, and occasionaly beat the drum for it around here. 4E is probably the most solid book they ever did, honestly the only thing 5E did was dial back the timeline (so people could play through the events they skipped) and add chargen. As a learning book 4e is certainly better, since the BIG BLUE was a one stop shop.

Folks interest in talislanta, btw, can get it all for free at https://www.talislanta.com - the author got tired of the RPG bullshit and just released his creation into the wild following a massive fan effort to scan all the old materials.

What are you looking to ask about? I am a font of lore.
Mostly - how's the system hold up? While I'm really fascinated by the way magic works, I'm a little worried it'd end up complicated and/or broken in practice. How does combat flow, with the intentions and active parries and whatnot?

I'm also kind of a mechanics guy, and I'm not sure how (if) the archetypes are balanced at all or even whether or not it matters.

Other than this Weight of Water thing, are there any adventures for it? Published, fan-made, whatever. If I want to run it in the future, I'd like to make things easy on myself.

Really, though, on a read-through, I'm very impressed. It's slick and light, and seems like it'd work a lot better out of the box than oldschool D&D ever did. It's also a lot better at explaining the game than the old 2e book (the one with the ... Thrall? ... on the cover with the greatsword) did.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Apparently today is Gary Gygax Day.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Evil Mastermind posted:

It sure is! Happy Gary Gygax Day!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Thanks for the suggestions for Game of Thrones Game [of Thrones] everyone. I will pass them along and he will reject them out of hand because he ignores all help anyone tries to give him.

Also regarding Gary Gygax Day, it makes me wonder if there is any way to actually know what kind of progress has been made on the memorial. I really kind of figured they would have hit $300,000 by now ...

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Quarex posted:

Thanks for the suggestions for Game of Thrones Game [of Thrones] everyone. I will pass them along and he will reject them out of hand because he ignores all help anyone tries to give him.

Also regarding Gary Gygax Day, it makes me wonder if there is any way to actually know what kind of progress has been made on the memorial. I really kind of figured they would have hit $300,000 by now ...

This is the latest official development I could find.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Wow, thanks! And for as awesome as I thought the memorial looked when it was first unveiled at Gary Con III, I have to say I like this design even more.

Ooh, and it mentions over $200,000 having been raised before April 8, 2014. That is promising. If it were like "we are hoping to break $50,000 this year!" I would give up hope.

I am buying the poo poo out of some of those bricks. One for each D&D character I have lost :(

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Gygax worship is so weird and it's sad that all this attention is lavished on the dude while people basically ignore Arneson. It's probably because Gygax remained a figurehead in the tabletop scene for a lot longer than Arneson, but still.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

We should totally have an Arneson Day.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
Quick someone turn this clip into a Gygax Day thing before it's over!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YqehGlg6m8

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Libertad! posted:

I hope you've all been keeping your polearm collections in good shape

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Darwinism posted:

Gygax worship is so weird and it's sad that all this attention is lavished on the dude while people basically ignore Arneson.

Gary would have wanted it that way.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Libertad! posted:

I'm going to celebrate by being dead and irrelevant

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Ettin posted:

I'm going to celebrate by being dead and irrelevant

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
anybody know any role-playing games good for diplomacy and intrigue

something that could be hacked to make an alpha centauri game, for instance

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Tollymain posted:

Monsterhearts, replace sex moves with "social maneuvering" moves.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Skullduggery?

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Evil Mastermind posted:

I bought the kid foam polyhedrals to celebrate, she took them to the park and her little pals all played with them.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Darwinism posted:

Gygax worship is so weird and it's sad that all this attention is lavished on the dude while people basically ignore Arneson. It's probably because Gygax remained a figurehead in the tabletop scene for a lot longer than Arneson, but still.
These forums should actually follow this pattern, really. Arneson was basically a prototypical "ideas guy" who by happenstance ran into an insane self-promotion machine who saw gold and mined it forever.

This, mind you, does not demand that you treat Gary Gygax with any sort of reverence, but I think Arneson being acknowledged as the "co-creator" and Gary Gygax being usually credited as the "creator" is pretty accurate, contradictions and all. Actually if anything I think Jeff Perren and Dave Wesely are the people really being cheated out of a legacy, given that Arneson's Blackmoor would not have existed without Perren and Gygax's collaboration on Chainmail, nor would it exist without Wesely's Braunstein showing Arneson how awesome "create a scenario and tell people to do what they feel like" could be.

For that matter, Perren and Wesely are still alive and, as far as I know, fairly accessible. Indeed Wesely has been running recreations of his Braunstein campaigns at Gen-Con the past few years, and I have no idea how I have managed to fail to try to get into one yet.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Winson_Paine posted:

I bought the kid foam polyhedrals to celebrate, she took them to the park and her little pals all played with them.

Did you take pictures?

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Okay, seriously though, who else celebrated?

Winson_Paine posted:

This is perfect :3:

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Tollymain posted:

Diplomacy

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Ettin posted:

This is perfect :3:

Strictly speaking it is coincidence, we were out and about and swung by the FLGS and they had them so I got em. At three they qualify as a learning toy, she was counting on them and stuff.

Dagon posted:

Diplomacy

I thought about this, and yeah if you are doing a PVP style alpha centauri you basically need something like Diplomacy.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Winson_Paine posted:

Wait.

What?

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Before then you didn't really make characters, you just imagined them in the theater of your mind and the DM would make rulings as to what happened. It was a glorious time, before chargen turned everything into a videogame.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Mors Rattus posted:

Wait.

What?

For like, 25+ years tal chargen was picking a template or archetype off a tree and making very slight mods to it. 5e added real chargen, the tal grogs HATED IT.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
That's hilarious. "What is this 'making characters' bullshit? Talislanta 5E is nothing but Ultima Online on paper!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
Are the Talislanta grogs five guys from the Cleveland suburbs who all know each other? Because that's what I'm seeing in my head here.

• Locked thread