Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I had no idea there were two.

And now there is one.

I want more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I saw my first 5th Edition starter set in the wild today, and I do not think it is a coincidence that the only bookstore in the small town I was in that had a copy was the only one where the clerk had a 1970s mustache. Yet he looked to be about 20 years old.

Unrelated in every possible way, I know a guy who is trying to run a Game-of-Thrones-style game (because this guy can be counted on to try to run "current cultural zeitgeist" games every 5 years) but for some reason has decided it should be a D20 game. This ... this has to be the wrong system in every possible way for a game mostly about political intrigue and a little bit about sex and murder, right?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

zachol posted:

System doesn't matter.
That is not what this subforum has been trying to get me to believe for years :mad:

Fine, I will tell him he has to use Fantasy HERO and leave it at that. No, wait; Ninja HERO.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Thanks for the suggestions for Game of Thrones Game [of Thrones] everyone. I will pass them along and he will reject them out of hand because he ignores all help anyone tries to give him.

Also regarding Gary Gygax Day, it makes me wonder if there is any way to actually know what kind of progress has been made on the memorial. I really kind of figured they would have hit $300,000 by now ...

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Wow, thanks! And for as awesome as I thought the memorial looked when it was first unveiled at Gary Con III, I have to say I like this design even more.

Ooh, and it mentions over $200,000 having been raised before April 8, 2014. That is promising. If it were like "we are hoping to break $50,000 this year!" I would give up hope.

I am buying the poo poo out of some of those bricks. One for each D&D character I have lost :(

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Darwinism posted:

Gygax worship is so weird and it's sad that all this attention is lavished on the dude while people basically ignore Arneson. It's probably because Gygax remained a figurehead in the tabletop scene for a lot longer than Arneson, but still.
These forums should actually follow this pattern, really. Arneson was basically a prototypical "ideas guy" who by happenstance ran into an insane self-promotion machine who saw gold and mined it forever.

This, mind you, does not demand that you treat Gary Gygax with any sort of reverence, but I think Arneson being acknowledged as the "co-creator" and Gary Gygax being usually credited as the "creator" is pretty accurate, contradictions and all. Actually if anything I think Jeff Perren and Dave Wesely are the people really being cheated out of a legacy, given that Arneson's Blackmoor would not have existed without Perren and Gygax's collaboration on Chainmail, nor would it exist without Wesely's Braunstein showing Arneson how awesome "create a scenario and tell people to do what they feel like" could be.

For that matter, Perren and Wesely are still alive and, as far as I know, fairly accessible. Indeed Wesely has been running recreations of his Braunstein campaigns at Gen-Con the past few years, and I have no idea how I have managed to fail to try to get into one yet.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Is it a fatally bad idea to bring up RPGPundit and Zak S.? It is really interesting reading Mandy Morbid's take on the infinite and unending dramabomb, in the sense that it is interesting reading a third-person account of a conflict that happened 50 years ago that makes absolutely no sense to anyone but the people involved.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Works for me!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I wish Gen-Con were like UFC for Traditional Games. There are so many good matchups possible!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I guess that is what we get for being impossible to distinguish from FYAD and GBS 1.4 to the casual observer.

And I guess it was nice that Mike Mearls was not exactly pretending he had any intention of taking criticisms of Zak seriously; it was more like he was patting the dog on the head and saying "I'm going to put you to sleep :)"

Edit: All right I have figured out what is bothering me the most about this whole thing: I feel like in order to be able to even join this conversation I would need to put as much work into reading about different designers and BLOGGERS as I put into actual work. Every new link on "Would You Agree That" just confuses me more than the last (well, except when the point is "this guy used really offensive terms in this context," those are easy to follow). It is like if my first exposure to Star Wars was hearing the Ewok celebration song barely audible in the distance while attending a quinceañera at gunpoint.

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jul 29, 2014

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

MadScientistWorking posted:

I think your horribly underestimating how overtly systemic this sort of behavior is in other industries. I would love it for me to have a job or even hobby that doesn't act so overtly lovely it doesn't make me want to scream out.
Meanwhile, at my federal job, we got a casual e-mail last month reminding us that transgendered individuals are protected by non-discrimination policies and to offer the same protections afforded to sexual orientation. Your move, private sector :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Libertad! posted:

Or they're too afraid to speak out and avoid conflict. I was like this back when I posted on The Gaming Den and RPG Site. I figured that there were a lot of assholes, but if I avoided them and stuck to the other threads then I can avoid the worst of it. But over time I came upon it wherever I posted. I realized that, even if I didn't share their views, I was associating with these people.
Sadly this is a problem we are always going to have here, too, though. We all know full-well that the subforums full of """ironic""" racism and bigotry have nothing to do with us, but to anyone looking in from the outside, it is significantly harder to understand that we are unhappy neighbors, not dedicated bedmates.

• Locked thread