Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I've been watching this too and so far i actually like the religious stuff. That and the lack of technobabble is a welcome thing in sci-fi tv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I saw Caprica on the netflix suggestions because i'm watching BSG. Is it worth watching after I finish this/get sick of it

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I just got to the mutiny against Queen Admiral oval office and this is good television.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

THS posted:

it is good television and honestly as much as i bitch about it, its a well produced television show with fantastic characters and more importantly fantastic actors who carry even the worst plots

I can easily see how this can go sour because as rare as they've been, there have been some extremely dull filler episodes already, and one or two outright duds. I think that's why I dislike really long seasons. Season 2 is really good so far but 20 45 minute episodes is pretty loving bulky. BSG seems like it would have benefitted from being rebooted in 2013 instead of 2003, assuming all the players were the same.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The best thing about this show is when Dr. Baltar is talking to his headmate in public and random extras are giving him weird contemptful looks.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

If you watched battlestar galactica and are even slightly confused about the beating-over the head obvious fact that god is real in that show and that the hallucinations are at multiple times shown to be more than hallucinations, you're crazy. Gaius Baltar got a brain scan clearing him and multiple times their Gaius' and 6's hallucinations have fed them information they could not have known. They were supernatural.

Also season 3 is loving annoying with PTSD having infected every likable character and making them immensely unlikable.

Riot Bimbo fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jul 24, 2014

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Did these motherfuckers really discover they were cylons by hearing All Along The Watchtower

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Bob Dylan and Jimi Hendrix collectively made the swansong of the universe.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Actually this show is pretty good but most of season 3 was bad.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

My main peeve with the trial was how do you get space jesus on trial and not find him guilty?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Things are significantly less dire when you have two battleships, one being significantly newer and more advanced

e: so they [the writers/showrunners] removed it from the plot

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Kirk Johnson posted:

a woman wearing a shower cap lies in a bath and spouts a lot of cheesy nonsensical drivel

that part is cool though

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Lots of these things are loving cool as hell, this show serves itself to binge watching. season 3 is still mostly filler though.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

from the miniseries to the finale the show's message seems to be "society should be happy to die out. don't try to fix poo poo. just wander into the woods and let nature take its course." v. uplifting

I'm nearing the end here and I expect some stupid poo poo to pop up in the next few episodes, but so far I can say the whole show is about religion. One fairly consistent thing, actually maybe the only consistent religious theme is probably the belief in enternal return; "all this has happened before and will happen again" is something that springs up a lot in old and current religions alike, and is popular in new age beliefs.

Beyond that, there's also "trust in God, even in the face of oblivion". Which, yeah, can seem bleak.

Running with those themes and multiple parallels to flood myths, it's all pretty bleak but for anyone who has ever had serious belief it's kind of nice to know someone tried to make a real honest pass at a show that explores these themes in an honest and non-pandering way. I half expect the last 1/4 of season 4 make me regret thinking or sharing this.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

His dad calls him fat and then he throws a bitch-fit and runs off to his quarters where he immediately starts shovelling candy into his face and going, "dad says i'm a fat disgusting slob, that's so loving stupid, HEH." and his wife is giving him this clearly disgusted look.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Daius posted:

I remember there being a scene where Tyrol confides in the old undercover cylon chaplain guy that he thinks he might be a Cylon and the guy goes "lol no m8 i'd know" but I have serious doubts they'd even decided who the final five would be at that point

At that point the humans don't know all of the common cylons and the cylons (except raiders and probably the hybrids) are shown to be totally ignorant of what the 5 look like, which is why No. 3's story largely focuses on her going insane trying to find out what they look like.

A lot of this is fresh in my mind and while it could probably go either way, I get the feeling the 5 were mapped out, but I think the mystery behind their nature was made up on the spot.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Kirk Johnson posted:

If by "mapped out" you mean "picked out of a hat* by Ron Moore the week before filming", then yeah.

*his rear end in a top hat

Hard to say but you seem bitter about the show and I don't get that. Maybe some of these twists and reveals were bigger letdowns on a week to week basis but I'm pretty well enjoying this entire series so far.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I've never seen Lost. I've seen what that show did to people and I've just elected to stay away because I don't want to share that psychosis. But that's all cool. Watching television is in general a huge waste of time, but I happen to have time to kill so vOv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Lost is a pretty good TV show that just had the worst fanbase imaginable, if you're enjoying BSG then I think you will like Lost

I may give it a chance but I've had exposure to Lindelof. I don't hate him but his style of mystery is not quite what BSG has been doing. That's based on prometheus and The Leftovers, but if I start seeing Prometheus/leftovers style horse-poo poo i'll be bailing.

• Locked thread