Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
There was only one catch and that was Catch-22, which specified that a concern for one's own safety in the face of dangers that were real and immediate was the process of a rational mind. Orr was crazy and could be grounded. All he had to do was ask; and as soon as he did, he would no longer be crazy and would have to fly more missions. Orr would be crazy to fly more missions and sane if he didn't, but if he was sane, he had to fly them. If he flew them, he was crazy and didn't have to; but if he didn't want to, he was sane and had to. Yossarian was moved very deeply by the absolute simplicity of this clause of Catch-22 and let out a respectful whistle.

Makes you think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Iggy Koopa posted:

i caught a cold

may i recommend you stick your head in a toilet and flush?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
“They're trying to kill me," Yossarian told him calmly.
No one's trying to kill you," Clevinger cried.
Then why are they shooting at me?" Yossarian asked.
They're shooting at everyone," Clevinger answered. "They're trying to kill everyone."
And what difference does that make?”

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I think it was because she didn't like him. But it's been a while.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I don't remember if I understood it or not. I do remember it growing more and more tragic as the book wears on and the mystery of the dead guy in the tent slowly being revealed. I think his name was Snowden. Been a loong time. I do remember Nately's whore hitting him with shoes, though. I remember the one guy who kept buying poo poo for the mess. And there was a guy who would ditch his bombers. Then there was Major Major Major Major. Sorta remember an Indian guy, too.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Milo was played by Jon Voigt.

I think.

Orson Welles was Dreedle.

I think Bob Newhart was Major4.

Alan Arkin.

Art Garfunkle.

Been a while since I've seen that, too.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Pumpy Muffinz posted:

I have never seen the movie. A friend of mine told me I would like it though.

I tried it before reading the book and was like ??? After reading the book I could see it was brilliant. Not an easy book to adapt, though. Same director as The Graduate, IIRC. Mike Nichols, I think.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Pumpy Muffinz posted:

I tried to read the book before I was ready. As a 13 year old, I could understand the words, but not the point.

Same. Close in age, but not entirely certain when. Early high school.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Pumpy Muffinz posted:

Its a great book, but it's an adult book.

Yeah, I read it again in my early 20s and enjoyed it much more. But I'm in a very different place now so picked it up again.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Pumpy Muffinz posted:

You will enjoy it more. Now you have the experience to talk to someone about it.

I'll keep u posted

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

icantfindaname posted:

i'm the goons who whine about anime 24/7 calling what is considered one of the greatest books of the 20th century bad. perhaps game of thrones or like a picture book for toddlers is more your level

did someone say catch 22 was bad?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Dirty Job posted:

GBS catch 22: making fun of nerds on an internet forum makes you the nerd

I wondered if/when someone would figure it out. Congrats.

How are Hellers other books? I know there are a few of them.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

quote:

The week after Lieutenant Scheisskopf followed Clevinger’s recommendation and let the men elect their own cadet officers, the squadron won the yellow pennant. Lieutenant Scheisskopf was so elated by his unexpected achievement that he gave his wife a sharp crack over the head with the pole when she tried to drag him into bed to celebrate by showing their contempt for the sexual mores of the lower middle classes in Western civilization. The next week the squadron won the red flag, and Lieutenant Scheisskopf was beside himself with rapture. And the week after that his squadron made history by winning the red pennant two weeks in a row! Now Lieutenant Scheisskopf had confidence enough in his powers to spring his big surprise. Lieutenant Scheisskopf had discovered in his extensive research that the hands of marchers, instead of swinging freely, as was then the popular fashion, ought never to be moved more than three inches from the center of the thigh, which meant, in effect, that they were scarcely to be swung at all.

Lieutenant Scheisskopf’s preparations were elaborate and clandestine. All the cadets in his squadron were sworn to secrecy and rehearsed in the dead of night on the auxiliary parade-ground. They marched in darkness that was pitch and bumped into each other blindly, but they did not panic, and they were learning to march without swinging their hands. Lieutenant Scheisskopf’s first thought had been to have a friend of his in the sheet metal shop sink pegs of nickel alloy into each man’s thighbones and link them to the wrists by strands of copper wire with exactly three inches of play, but there wasn’t time-there was never enough time-and good copper wire was hard to come by in wartime. He remembered also that the men, so hampered, would be unable to fall properly during the impressive fainting ceremony preceding the marching and that an inability to faint properly might affect the unit’s rating as a whole.

And all week long he chortled with repressed delight at the officers’ club. Speculation grew rampant among his closest friends.

“I wonder what that Shithead is up to,” Lieutenant Engle said.

Lieutenant Scheisskopf responded with a knowing smile to the queries of his colleagues. “You’ll find out Sunday,” he promised. “You’ll find out.”

Lieutenant Scheisskopf unveiled his epochal surprise that Sunday with all the aplomb of an experienced impresario. He said nothing while the other squadrons ambled past the reviewing stand crookedly in their customary manner. He gave no sign even when the first ranks of his own squadron hove into sight with their swingless marching and the first stricken gasps of alarm were hissing from his startled fellow officers. He held back even then until the bloated colonel with the big fat mustache whirled upon him savagely with a purpling face, and then he offered the explanation that made him immortal.

“Look, Colonel,” he announced. “No hands.”

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Pumpy Muffinz posted:

its been a while since I read it, but, I don't think that's right.

I just c/p it from an online text source.

http://m.litfile.net/read/97689/95817-96935?page=33

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Pumpy Muffinz posted:

I'm glad Scheisskopf finally got his parade.

Hehehe.

• Locked thread