Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Hedera Helix posted:

The food ghost looks really gross, though.
Well it is eating rotten eclairs....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Y-Hat posted:

Well it is eating rotten eclairs....

Undead things like undead food.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Today we're going to finish Osohe Castle. In fact, we're nearly done with the place, though there's still some new enemies to meet.

And unlike most enemy encounters, you want to fight two of these guys at a time.

These guys are susceptible to crying, which is good because these guys can be tough.

Can be, as if you're fighting two of them they'll usually (but not always) joust with each other instead. They hit pretty hard though, so having them help you kill them is pretty handy.

The penultimate room has Barrel Men from before, and one last new enemy if you're unlucky.

Pseudoors will attack if you open one of the two middle doors.

They hit hard for a few turns before going into a defensive stance. Of course, they don't actually attack in this phase, giving you plenty of time to break them down.

Defeating them doesn't lead to any new rooms, though.

Since we're almost at the boss, let's take one last dip in the hot springs to recover our strength.

Welp.

On the way back, I get more Rotten Eclairs and trade them for Beef Jerky. Now Duster's set on healing items.

To the boss!

Well, alright then.

Obviously can't get through that chaos. Let's talk to this mysterious conductor.

The music I am playing is "Family Matters, 2nd Movement".

Sure.

It's nice and all but we don't really have time for this.

No thanks, we're a thief and-

Mr. Passion has a really beefy 630HP, and rather high offense as well.

But as the artistic type, he is easily moved to tears by various pieces of art, such as the thief art of throwing a smoke bomb into his face.

Mr. Passion will also get swept up into the music, distracting himself during the battle.

Other times he'll swat Duster for interrupting during the performance. No need to be so rude, Duster.

In fact, Duster can get so rude that Mr. Passion will forget he's not in a wrestling ring and throw a chair at him.

Of course, Duster gives as good as he gets.

Mr. Passion's passion will boost his offense up so he can passionately beat Duster with his passion for beating.

Mr. Passion can also do a multi-attack, which can add up with three hits each, but each of those can also miss due to Mr. Passion being a big crybaby.

In the end, though, the power of music is no match for the power of kicking a guy over and over.

With Mr. Passion redisposed of, everything calms down.

(By the way, you can rest on that sofa if you want.)

:3:

Free place to restore HP, which you'll probably need after that fight.

Alright, now to grab what we came here for.

Jackpot!

Now that we've gotten what we came here for, let's return to town to celebrate our success.

Apparently it took us all night to conquer the castle, as dawn hits as we leave.

If you're headed out, crossing the drawbridge would be faster and safer than taking this underground passage. Here, I'll give you the Drawbridge Key.

Nah, don't worry about giving it back. Just go on and take it. As long as I got this here underground passage, that'll be enough for me.

I don't know why Nippolyte doesn't just use the drawbridge key to begin with. I guess he just really likes his monster-infested secret passage.

Anyway, now we've got a more direct way to Osohe Castle in the future.

With day upon us, everyone is out and about, eager to talk with us because Duster's a weirdo who never talks with anyone apparently.

I baked some delicious Nut Cookies to try to cheer everyone up. I made too many though, so you can have one.

Pointless considering how much Beef Jerky I have, but it's the thought that counts.

Flint's not around town, it seems.

Anyway, the town's still on edge a bit due to the recent tragedy with Hinawa.

Right now, I'm learning about how to make Omelets-flavored cookies.

I hope she comes back soon...

:smith:

Being a recluse shut-in, people are concerned about Duster being out doing stuff in the middle of the day. It's weird.

I thought you were the type of man who wakes up at night and sleeps in the morning, but it seems you're trying to be a man who wakes up in the morning and sleeps at night.

How about a man who alternates between sleeping at the night and waking in the morning, and a man who you know what forget it.

Sure!

And, upon closer look, you're actually surprisingly manly now.

I'm going to do my best to help everyone, too.

Of course, not everyone thinks Duster is a complete total weirdo.

Won't some people think you're trying to steal something if you go into their houses? I don't think you are, though.

That's just messed up.

That look on your face... You're after something, aren't you?

The Bazaar's open now, and like with Flint we can just take stuff for free because why not.

Restores 15HP. Meh.

I hope he's all right...

What am I supposed to do with it?

Seems that mystery man's become kind of a big deal.

I already know! I don't need you to tell me! ...*hic*

Well, if you say so.

so that just makes cramped rooms even more cramped.

See? It's especially scary when he changes direction like that.

Huh? Uh, no.

Why not ask her real quick, then?

And if we say yes...

Whaat?! Why would you ask her about that?!

Welp, probably won't be dealing with this guy anytime soon.

Lucas is still mulling over how things went. Doesn't help that Flint is nowhere around.

Thanks, Reggie.

Meanwhile, they never even bothered to close the jail door.

Something's definitely changed since then.

But now that she's gone... My problems just get worse and worse now.

Everyone's still trying to deal with Hinawa's sudden death.

Can't go exploring the forest because we absolutely must respect ants. It would be disgusting not to.

It isn't healthy to stay out of the sunlight, you know.

Something not right's happening to this village. I can feel it. Actually, something bad could even happen to me, too...

(Come on, now. What a nuisance that guy is. I don't know much about the secret info, personally.)

TELL ME WHAT YOU KNOW, PIG.

You better not tell ANYONE about the money I hid in that well!

The cows aren't as obsessed about Mother 3 secrets and therefore are more open to talk about other things.

I mean, you almost seem like a thief, y'know!

Alright, that's the entire town. Let's bring our big grab back to old man Wess.

Okay, let's have a look-see.

Is this...?!

This is the legendary Noble Spittoon, passed down from generation to generation in Osohe...

You call yourself a thief, yet you can't even tell what it is you need to steal?!

Did you bring back any other big jackpot items?! Are you sure you're not just fooling around to try to entertain me? You moron.

Let me have a closer look at that!

But could it be...?

The princess of Osohe Castle.

Your first job was an utter failure. But this is no time to be calling you a moron. I'll come with you this time. We're heading to Osohe Castle at once. Let's hurry to the room the spittoon was in!

Next time, we return to Osohe Castle with Wess in tow to obtain the real treasure of Osohe Castle.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Osohe's not that bad a place, all told. The ghosts all seemed pretty cool, save for the stinky ones who enjoy annoying the gently caress of the living by belching at them. And Mr. Passion, though to be fair, Duster was being an rear end and getting up in his grill about not liking Mr. Passion's symphony. On that note, Duster has no taste in music, because this just rocks:

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

Osohe's not that bad a place, all told. The ghosts all seemed pretty cool, save for the stinky ones who enjoy annoying the gently caress of the living by belching at them. And Mr. Passion, though to be fair, Duster was being an rear end and getting up in his grill about not liking Mr. Passion's symphony. On that note, Duster has no taste in music, because this just rocks:

That thumbnail is disappointing as hell because I was expecting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYvNiKwWvhk

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Wow! That's in this game? Hm, I'm not much of an expert on classical music but it certainly starts off with Beethoven's fifth. Am I hearing other classical compositions after that? If so, which ones are in there exactly?

quote:

What would this say if you didn't have Omelets as your favorite food? Would the second part change?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Carbon dioxide posted:

Wow! That's in this game? Hm, I'm not much of an expert on classical music but it certainly starts off with Beethoven's fifth. Am I hearing other classical compositions after that? If so, which ones are in there exactly?

What would this say if you didn't have Omelets as your favorite food? Would the second part change?
Note that our favorite food is Omelets while she is thinking of making omelets. Pretty sure that entire line is unchanged regardless of our choice.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
I really cannot stress how much I like the music in this game.

DemonTrigger
May 30, 2011

I'M MAKIN' IT GP RAIN

Carbon dioxide posted:

The part immediately after Beethoven is Etude for Ghosts from earlier, but I'm pretty sure every other piece is classical music. The only one I actually know is that the last one is Mozart's Symphony 40 in G Minor.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

quote:

I see this pig's a Final Fantasy fan then.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

DemonTrigger posted:

The part immediately after Beethoven is Etude for Ghosts from earlier, but I'm pretty sure every other piece is classical music. The only one I actually know is that the last one is Mozart's Symphony 40 in G Minor.
It starts with Beethoven's 5th, cross-fades into Etude from Ghosts, then the first few bars of Tchaikovsky's 1st Piano Concerto, the tiniest snippet of Beethoven's 6th Symphony, and finishes with Mozart's 40th Symphony before looping.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

quote:

This caught me completely by surprise, and I love it.

But man, Duster's dad is kind of a jerk, huh?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Silver Falcon posted:

This caught me completely by surprise, and I love it.

But man, Duster's dad is kind of a jerk, huh?

He's a grouchy fella, but he only wants Duster to be his best.
It's a pretty straightforward relationship, complexity wise. But it pays off.

Oh man. I tried LPing this game a long while ago, I rightly believed I couldn't do it justice so I got disheartened and stopped.
Glad to see you're soldiering on with it though.

I absolutely love this game. and it's one of the few games that can get me to tear up just listening to the music.
It holds a special part in my heart as one of the very few works of man I can get overly emotional about.

[e]: I even deleted all the music I uploaded onto tindeck in a slightly tipsy furor wishing I never started it in the first place. That was a weird time for me.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Sep 15, 2014

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Since I don't feel like doing screenshots for the next update tonight, have some more avatars from Chapter 1 instead.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

"There's a movie reference in this somewhere."

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
This game is too well-animated. It has to be a crime somewhere.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, to be fair, how many thieves have ever stolen a princess?

Besides Zidane, I mean.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

Glazius posted:

Well, to be fair, how many thieves have ever stolen a princess?

Besides Zidane, I mean.

Han Solo in The Courtship of Princess Leia? At least, while it's still temporarily canon.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!

SorataYuy posted:

Han Solo in The Courtship of Princess Leia? At least, while it's still temporarily canon.
Han was a smuggler, not a thief, thank you very much. :colbert:
The only time he actually took anything that wasn't his was after he horribly murdered the last owner found something just laying on the ground.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

Dooky Dingo posted:

Han was a smuggler, not a thief, thank you very much. :colbert:
The only time he actually took anything that wasn't his was after he horribly murdered the last owner found something just laying on the ground.

But he was a thief this time. He stole away with Leia and took her on one of the craziest engagement trips ever.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
Excuse me the canon way Han got engaged to Leia was telling her they were eloping to Hologram Fun Worlaahahahahahaha gently caress I can't finish that sentence even jokingly.

Captain Q
Nov 30, 2005

I CONJURE THIS INTREPID FANTASYSCAPE WITH TEARS BLED FROM THE WISDOM-WEARY EYES OF FIFTY THOUSAND IMAGINARY MAGICIANS
Having Wes in your party is so great. It totally mitigates Duster's pitiful damage compared to a full party, while not making it any harder to die since he doesn't actually have HP or stats.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

Wild Knight posted:

Excuse me the canon way Han got engaged to Leia was telling her they were eloping to Hologram Fun Worlaahahahahahaha gently caress I can't finish that sentence even jokingly.

I just nearly spit Crystal Light all over my keyboard, and came this close to choking from laughter. Well-played!

And Mega64, this LP has gotten me back into playing the game after letting it sit untouched on my external for the last two years. Keep up the drat fine work. *salutes*

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Captain Q posted:

Having Wes in your party is so great. It totally mitigates Duster's pitiful damage compared to a full party, while not making it any harder to die since he doesn't actually have HP or stats.
It's a shame that this thread has an arbitrary "no spoilers at all" rule because boy....

Captain Q
Nov 30, 2005

I CONJURE THIS INTREPID FANTASYSCAPE WITH TEARS BLED FROM THE WISDOM-WEARY EYES OF FIFTY THOUSAND IMAGINARY MAGICIANS

Y-Hat posted:

It's a shame that this thread has an arbitrary "no spoilers at all" rule because boy....

Oh. Well if I should edit that I guess I will, it just seems such a small point...

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Captain Q posted:

Oh. Well if I should edit that I guess I will, it just seems such a small point...
Sorry, I should have made myself clearer. You didn't do anything wrong, I just wanted to talk about a future point in the game but couldn't because, again, the spoiler rule.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

So we've got a new party member, and a new overworld song! Wess is a temporary party member, though by far the most effective one we've seen yet. More on that once we get into some battles with them, though.

Probably half the town's dialogue changes once you get Wess.

A lot of it is people going, "Oh, hey, Wess."

Apparently, that's been his nickname ever since he was a kid. I guess he was a real troublemaker or something.

Matt meanwhile has some new info on Scamp. That's neat.

but no one will even give me the time of day.

Meanwhile, there's still lots of excitement going on in the town due to recent events.

You don't happen to know where little Claus is, do you...? No, I suppose not, huh?

But the townspeople will still give Wess the time of day. I guess people like him more than Isaac.

It's still some years off - I'm not sure how many, exactly - but there's talk about constructing something called an "old folks' home". I figure it'll be perfect for you, old man. It'll be like a dream come true, so I hope you look forward to it.

Meanwhile, Pusher has some foreshadowing about a mythical place of wonder for old people. Sounds like it's headed by the same guy who punched a monkey.

Abbey. Tea for two, please...Oh. You're in a hurry? Never mind the tea, Abbey.

"Good evening" just slipped out when I saw you two, even though it's still noon-ish.

Abbey doesn't know how to deal with nocturnal people.

Is that what this is?

Have you and him ever talked before?

Why, he never talks to anybody, so of course not.

I've never seen him talk before, either.

Let's say yes to freak out the drunkard.

Whaaaat?! He can talk?!

Ol' Wess seems more full of energy than you do, in fact.

Considering it's Duster's bed time and he's been busy exploring a monster-filled castle, it makes some sense.

Why, if it isn't Mr. Wess! "Wess" up?!

That's three characters now who used that pun.

You look like you're in a rush. Why did you drop by here?

Good question.

Another defense boosting item to equip.

Meanwhile, my own thoughts just keep getting gloomier and gloomier...

...That's how I always feel, anyways. But I can't even begin to imagine what the outside world is like.

You guys are depressing me. Let's get to the plot now.

Looks like the Pigmasks have reached the castle! Maybe talking to all those townspeople wasn't such a good idea.

He doesn't talk back, Wess. We've established that.

At least it's not blocked anymore.

Better follow the tracks then.

Nippolyte's seen better days.

Some pig-looking guys just bust right into the castle. If you're going inside, *huff* do be careful.

As soon as we enter, we get another mini-boss thrown at us.

The Clayman has a beefy 879 HP and some solid attack power.

As usual, our first priority is to make it cry.

Since it's a mind-controlled automaton, it's susceptible to sleep. Sleep's kind of bad though because if they get hit, they'll probably wake up, and when an enemy wakes up they get to do an attack.

Wess has a variety of attacks, one of which is throwing one of his seemingly limitless amount of Thunder bombs. Very useful for groups of enemies.

Wess also has a regular physical attack on par with Duster's.

He also has a super-powerful attack he can bust out which does a large amount of damage. I'm pretty sure Wess is even stronger than Buzz Buzz as far as temporary party members go.

Meanwhile, the Clayman sometimes needs a turn or two to get its act together.

But when it does attack, it hits hard.

This has a chance of paralyzing an enemy, similar to wall staples, but it's not effective here since the Clayman doesn't have a nose.

Wess's last move is simply him calling Duster a moron.

Once you beat up the Clayman enough, it'll fall on you and do decent damage.

Of course, being a giant lumbering creature, it has some trouble getting back up.

Not too tough as long as you keep healed and Wess doesn't just mock you the entire time.

With the Clayman destroyed, the Pigmen retreat into the castle. Time for business!

After a nice relaxing soak with Pa, of course.

The old enemies are pretty much gone, replaced with new ones.

Pigmasks are the main new enemy littering the castle.

They'll fire beams and beat you up and stuff. Standard stuff for standard enemies. They'll also boost their offense and apparently can lower yours, though I never saw the latter happen.

These guys just surrender when defeated, though.

They also have a 50% chance of dropping Pork Chips, which recover 50HP. I had a lot of them drop for me, so they'll at least keep you topped up between battles.

The other new monster here is a Recon Mech.

These guys don't really do much, it seems.

I only fought one, and all it did before I destroyed it was summon a Pigmask.

The Pigmasks have beat up the fun-loving poltergeists in the area, which is a shame.

They even busted the party!

Please don't run in here. It's cramped. Besides, Osohe Castle is so small. Where could you be going in such a hurry?

Don't worry, though, as all the ghosts are still fine. Well, relatively speaking.

so we all fled into this room.

This is the same ghost that told you about blue gift boxes and maps, and he repeats himself here. Of course, you can't actually get to the gift box now since the room's so cramped.

Even with ghosts, when you get this many all in one place, it gets stuffy!

What a travesty!

Onward!

Apparently this reset, though I didn't bother trying to fight these guys again.

The rest of the castle's pretty similar, so there's no Pigmasks blocking the way to where we found the Spitoon.

It appears someone has opened this door... Very recently, too. I believe only the princess has the ability to open this secret door...

And so Wess unlocks the locked door using secret knowledge only known to the Osohe family and to one master thief...

Don't look, now! I'm not going to stick my butt out or anything like that, though.

I believe I taught you this dance when you were still very young. I even told you a million times to do it whenever you find yourself stuck...

The princess most likely went through here. And those pig fellows are probably still inside the castle as well. So we need to be careful! You moron!

...And with all that, we unlocked the secret passage that goes further into the castle.

Now, you sharp-eyed readers may have noticed a similar statue in the castle's basement.

But of course we can't visit that this chapter.

The passage shuts when we enter, though we're still free to go through it as we please, even without Wess having to shake his butt again.

The next room has a garbage can. It's probably useless.

Oh, is that the thing that's been passed down in Osohe Castle since ancient times? I remember way back when, when I asked King Osohe what it is.

...I think. I can't remember. I decided to mind my own business and forget about it ever since then. Or so I recall.

So it's useless. Moving on.

Where we are ambushed by a woman stuck in a trap.

Is that you, you old geezer?!

My, how this brings back memories! Sometimes... I wouldn't remember you for not but a little bit. No, no, no! Wait! I'm so giddy that I've mixed up my words! I haven't forgotten about you for but a bit! No, no, wait...

I can't afford to die here, so I was just thinkin' about cuttin' my foot off.
Oh-ho-ho! I see you're as reckless as ever! But you needn't resort to removing your foot, Princess. For me and my Thief Arts, a trap of this sort is absolutely nothing to never worry about! No, wait, wait! Just leave it to me!

Piece of ca-

Oh, wow.

drat. Can't let my guard down for even a second. He your son, geezer?

This girl's also rather important, considering we can name her and all. Her default name is Kumatora.

Let's go!
Wherever are you headed, Princess?
Isn't it obvious? You guys're here for it too, aintcha?
...But, your leg is injured...

Let's move!

And so Kumatora joins our party! And unlike Wess, she is a full-fledged party member!

Next time, we'll learn more about our new party member and (hopefully) find the treasure as the chapter comes to a close!

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Sep 21, 2014

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy
What is constantly worrying Jackie throughout this whole game?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Funny thing about Kumatora, when making the translation patch, Tomato actually had to increase the character limit on character names just so her name would fit.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

quote:

They'll also boost your offense and apparently can lower yours, though I never saw the latter happen.

I assume that was supposed to be their, considering the rest of the sentence?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Roro posted:

I assume that was supposed to be their, considering the rest of the sentence?

Nice catch, fixed.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Waffleman_ posted:

Funny thing about Kumatora, when making the translation patch, Tomato actually had to increase the character limit on character names just so her name would fit.

He also apparently had a hell of a time translating her overly masculine speech patterns. He added the swears to get some of that effect in, and apparently he's gotten a number of requests for a version that removes them. People are weird. :shrug:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Well, I can kinda see where they're coming from. Having swears kinda clashes with the saccharine and innocent face of Mother.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
It's a minor quibble, but do the Recon Mechs have a different battle theme than the Pigmasks? That's what I seem to remember; they had a different theme or a variant.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

It's a minor quibble, but do the Recon Mechs have a different battle theme than the Pigmasks? That's what I seem to remember; they had a different theme or a variant.

Is it this one? If so, I'll change it in the update.

Oh, and definitely keep telling me if I mess up any of the songs, as I can't tell the difference between many of the similar-sounding battle themes. Most of them involve me just making my best guess based on listening on the first few seconds of each track.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Wess's dance is just absolutely wonderful. :allears:

I especially love that Duster turns to watch as soon as he can, and covers for himself when Wess starts turning in place.

Truly, these are the best of thieves.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Mega64 posted:

Is it this one? If so, I'll change it in the update.

Oh, and definitely keep telling me if I mess up any of the songs, as I can't tell the difference between many of the similar-sounding battle themes. Most of them involve me just making my best guess based on listening on the first few seconds of each track.

Yeah, that's the one. It's one of the variants that I like more; it sounds like the musicians keep loving up and having to slow down to find their note.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!

Sydin posted:

He also apparently had a hell of a time translating her overly masculine speech patterns. He added the swears to get some of that effect in, and apparently he's gotten a number of requests for a version that removes them. People are weird. :shrug:

I remember when that happened!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0p1l_NXNWo4

Those were the days. Weird days.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
I really, really hope that kid got therapy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonTrigger
May 30, 2011

I'M MAKIN' IT GP RAIN

My favorite detail here is Duster sneaking a peek and then immediately turning away once Wess starts spinning. Love those little details.

• Locked thread