Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Going to sign up for Cricket and I'd like a referral.

ThermoPhysical, do you have another contact method to get the referral going? Looks like you don't have PM and I'd like to help you out since you put in the time to make this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Does anyone know if the bill starts running on a Cricket SIM immediately when you order it? It looks like you have to pay for a month of service up front when ordering a SIM card and I vaguely remember someone mentioning that it did, but I wasn't sure. I guess it makes more sense that it would start once the SIM was activated.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Thanks! :)

You can shoot me an e-mail at one of my throwaways:

----edit------

E-mail sent. Thanks!

tonic fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jul 24, 2014

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Just recently switched from Verizon to Cricket with an unlocked iPhone 5S. Had tethering before, but after installing the cricket SIM, iTunes asked about a carrier update. Installed it (mistake?) and the Personal Hotspot feature disappeared. On the other hand, my MMS wasn't working prior to the update and works fine now.

Ended up jail breaking and installing TetherMe (7.1.2) and that seems to enable it properly. Only plan on using it for emergencies.

Also, sent ThermoPhysical a referral, $25. If anyone wants to pass on the favor, shoot me an email james.jimmy.stoof@gmail.com and I'll send you a referral. You also get $25 off your bill that month.

EDIT: BistyQ, just sent you one.

tonic fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Jul 29, 2014

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

My SIM definitely works on multiple devices, don't think it is IMEI locked. Tested on two iPhones and my beater SGS2 with a SIM adaptor. Took a few minutes and a restart before the phones connected though.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

As a current Cricket pro plan customer, how do I get the double data promotion?

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Billing cycle finally ended the other day and Cricket automatically upgraded me to 10GB:

Also the referral went through for whomever referred me so I got $25 off this month (final bill will be $30 with auto-pay):

Pretty sweet! Guess I'm just reporting in to say that I'm another very satisfied Cricket customer.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Where is everyone having all these issues with Cricket? Never had any issues in Northern California. Pretty much always on LTE, 8/4mbit speeds, quick page loads. Only thing I've ever noticed is that their app seems to be down at night a lot, making it difficult to check data usage.

Going to bum me out if their service is slipping, been recommending it to a lot of people.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

I currently use Cricket and want to get my wife signed up. With two users, there's no reason to do a family plan right? Only $10 discount which is no better than the $5/line discount we'd each receive for auto-pay...or can you stay the auto-pay discount on top of the family plan?

Plus, no referral bonuses for adding someone to a family plan?

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Hit my 10GB cap on Cricket 8 days before the end of the month, was pleasantly surprised by how usable their throttled data is. Streaming Spotify/podcasts/NPR take a few seconds longer to start, but no stuttering. Win.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

I've never noticed any outages in Northern California on Cricket. Only issue I've had is with that app to check by data usage occasionally not loading, usually in the evening.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

ShaneB posted:

Has anyone here used a decent international SIM for data while traveling in Europe? All of the ones I am finding seem somewhat sketch or have weird charges where any time you use any data at all it charges you 1MB.

I have Cricket here in the USA and they don't have any international options.

Best (cheapest) option is to just buy a SIM when you arrive. I bough an Orange SIM in France and it was super cheap and fast, I think like €30 for 5GB of data. Most of the cards you can buy in the U.S. are a rip off by comparison.

If you're willing to pay for a month of T-mobile, their international roaming works great as well. Only 128kbps, but more than fast enough for maps, social media, looking up travel info. I used it in 4 different countries and it was awesome to just immediately have service everywhere when my plane landed. Speed seemed consistent and I was almost always on 4G/LTE networks.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Did they increase the bandwidth on Cricket? Repeatedly getting 10+mbit on both the up and download the last few weeks using the speed test app.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

SB35 posted:

Bay area here. Just did a test and got 66ms ping, 8.66 down, 2.28 up. So no? At least it hasn't been mentioned in a press release or anything.

Bay Area as well, just ran this test. Download is close to 8, but upload significantly higher.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Is there still a way to get the advanced 20gb plan?

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Just port to Google Voice, that's what I've always used as an intermediary service. There's a $20 fee, but the ports have always been instant and I've been able to port off immediately. Done this to switch between T-mobile postpaid and prepaid twice.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

whatever7 posted:

It's basically same price as Cricket since you can juggle between plans to double your Cricket data allotment.

What? Can you explain?

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

So the Cricket Unlimited plan is $120 for a two person family plan? Currently paying $120 ($133 after taxes) for the same on T-Mobile, but considering switching back to Cricket.

Advantages of Cricket:
- Better coverage (AT&T) than T-Mobile
- LTE in more areas
- Slightly cheaper (no taxes on prepaid in California)

Advantages of T-Mobile:
- 14GB of Hotspot per line included
- Free data service worldwide (LTE in North America)
- Faster LTE speeds (no 8mbjt cap)

What am I forgetting??

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Hat Thoughts posted:

drat, this + the Hotspots that they (currently) don't stop is actually a better deal than any isp in my lovely rural area then.

Can you use it as a hotspot on an iPhone? Guessing you need a jailbreak which is not available on new iPhones.

Also the $10/month mobile hotspot isn't available on Unlimited: https://www.cricketwireless.com/shop/features.html . They should allow it on the Unlimited plan but limit the amount of data you can use for tethering.

tonic fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Apr 19, 2016

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Is everyone on Cricket unlimited still happy with their service?

Moving soon and I know my new spot has terrible T-Mobile service, so in considering dumping T-Mobile unlimited for Cricket.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Has anyone used this? https://www.bevisible.com

$40 unlimited prepaid on Verizon. I think it’s only 5mbps, but no throtttling at 22GB? Would love to hear from someone who has tried it. Looks like you can signup right away.

tonic fucked around with this message at 15:14 on May 14, 2018

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Thoughts of US Mobile overall? Does it use both T-Mobile and VZW for data?

Think I may give their free trial a test-run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

What’s the best AT&T MVNO if I just want to buy a small chunk of data each month and not shell out for unlimited? Straight Talk? Cricket?