Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Gordon

"Something about this smells awful fishy." The big innkeeper rubs his chin, looking thoughtful. "Maybe we've got bandits in the area again."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.
Hardcastle

Using his robes and her own blanket to wrap the body, Hardcastle binds the shrouded corpse up and hefts it over one shoulder. "I'll head back to the monestary," she says. She recognizes that this duty is hers. "I can join those who do not wish to accompany me later." A pause, "I doubt I would have much trouble tracking you down."

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

So, who is going to the monastery with Hardcastle and the corpse, and who is going to explore the cave? Obviously there is more to this encounter, but if you want to skip it and get to the real business, or split up or something, that is fine with me.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Sinnika

"I dunno, I'm with Gil on this one. Chuck some rocks on him, or something, he'll keep for a bit."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Gilaemes Ishuar

"Certainly no need to rush on his account." Gilaemes clears some of the brush away. "This though looks to me like an opportunity that we need to seize."

Going down into the cave, but I'm fine with splitting up if that's the deal.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Gordon

"I'll keep the dwarf company. I've got a passing familiarity with the monks, better than nothing." He shifts himself and scratches the back of his head with a blood-spattered hand. "Although this cave business, I'd hate to think some roving gang is setting up shop in there."

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Hardcastle

It were a hard thing, living by a code. The code one lived by defined a body, so it did. With a grunt and a nod, Hardcastle stomps off. This would not be long, after all. The bandits would wait. Grunt.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Hardcastle and Gordon set off, hauling the dead monk through the woods and towards the rocky bluff in the distance. It would be a difficult journey alone, but with two people their cargo should make it there no worse off than they found him.

Gilaemes, Sinnika, and Yusha stay behind to investigate the cave further, as it is surely related to his death. Just inside, a wide but shallow stream cuts through the cave. Small sets of puddles, obviously footprints, start at the stream and lead further in to a fork, where they keep to the right. Other than the stream, the cave is pretty dry, and only has a slight downward slope.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Hardcastle

The paladin hikes along with the corpse, whistling.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Gordon

"A little respect for the dead, ma'am," says Gordon, clearing his throat.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Hardcastle

"Whistling and song keeps the foul spirits away lest they despoil the soul that lingers," Hardcastle explains. The Innkeep meant well, but such folk were simple. "Sprirts of malice envy our life, yet they fear our joy. Laughter drives them away, song sets them to running. You know any jokes, Innkeep?"

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Gilaemes Ishuar

Gilaemes considers the footprints, then hops over the stream to the other side, trying to avoid stepping in anything wet as he follows the foot prints down the right fork. "New boots," he explains to the others. "Well, it's nice that we have an obvious trail to follow." He grins, and rubs the thumb of his gloved hand on the hilt of his sword. "Maybe we'll be lucky and there'll be an ambush."

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Gordon

"A few. I'm saving them for special occasions." He moves on in silence for a moment, thoughtful. "I know a couple of bawdy drinking songs, but those seem a little disrespectful. The monks always seem the quiet and sombre sort, I doubt they'd like it if we showed up singing The Brazen Elf-Maiden and the Saucy Pirate's Daughter while carrying the body of their comrade."

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Yusha

Yusha follows Gil, purposefully stepping on all the wet things. "I don't think that wearing fancy boots when investigating a dungeon is a good idea. What if the dungeon is full of jellies? Jellies are harder to wash out than water or mud." Yusha speaks with the tone of a man who has experience with washing jelly, pudding, and oozes out of his boots.

"Keep an eye out for cave creatures. I can communicate with them in the groaning language of the tunnels, and we might be able to learn what befell the monk."

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Cave

The wet footprints disappear as the cavern winds slowly downward, eventually opening onto a ledge over a 20 foot or so deep pit. The cavern leads on, disappearing into darkness at the other end of the ledge. The sides of the pit are sheer, but there are numerous handholds.

Trail

Whatever songs and jokes are told seems to be doing the trick, as nothing interferes with your trip towards the monastery. In fact, in a clearing, you catch your first glimpse of it on the rock above.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Hardcastle

Hardcastle grunts. "Scenic. There's likely a trail up there, but I've ropes and braces for climbing. We could go straight up if you're game."

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Gordon

"There'll be stairs, they're not the Holy Order of Abseiling. Probably just tucked out of sight." Ordinarily, Gordon would have been up for it, but not while trying to return a man's dead body to his fellows.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Hardcastle

She had expected as much. With a grunt, Hardcastle uses what trailcraft the dwarf can muster and begins to look for signs of a trail or stair or, more hopefully, a door down here as she launches into another verse. "You can bugger the bear, if you do it with care, in the winter, when he is asleep in his lair, though I would not advise it in spring or in fall-- but the hedgehog can never be buggered at all." It was a good long song, and she sings loud.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

The trail is tough, but not impossible to find, and it only gets easier as you get closer. In just a few minutes, Hardcastle and Gordon have begun the arduous task of hauling the body up a narrow, steep, and long staircase carved into the mountainside and winding back and forth toward the monastery.

Just stalling while waiting for the spelunkers to post

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Gilaemes Ishuar

Leaning over the pit, Gilaemes peers into the darkness. "With that wound, I don't think he was doing much climbing. We can check later if we don't find anything." Adjusting his gear, the elf proceeds down the ledge further into the cave, pausing to look back over his shoulders at the others. "Coming with?"

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Cave

The cavern gets considerably tighter as you press forward, quickly narrowing to the point where your shoulders rub the walls. It looks to widen out again just ahead, but it is covered, wall to wall and ceiling to floor, in thick, choking spider webs. You could probably make your way through without getting stuck, but their weavers are surely somewhere nearby.

Roll Initiative if you want to proceed this way.

Cliffside

About halfway up, just when lugging the body is starting to get real annoying, Gordon and Hardcastle are fortunate enough to meet another monk on the way down. He looks at you and your load carefully, unsure what to make of it. "Welcome, travellers." He stammers. "Come to cleanse yourself at the Sorrows?"

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Gordon

Gordon sucks on his teeth, and would have pulled at his collar if he hadn't had his hands full. "N... Not as such, no."

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

The monk looks confused for a moment. Why else would you be there? "Your cargo looks heavy. Can I help you?" He looks around for some place to get out of your way on the steps. "At least back to the next switchback where there is room for us to pass one another safely."

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Gordon

"It's, uh... we met another of you fellows earlier, he was looking for one of your number who'd gotten lost while on a walk in the woods, and we..." he nods gently down. "It seems like he won't doing anything any more. I'm sorry."

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Hardcastle

"We found your man, your lost man. We have returned him, as vowed." The body hits the ground with a thump. "We would tarry more, but the living problems still yet call, and those that killed him have not yet been brought to justice."

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Sinnika

The little gnome points ahead. "Looks like bug city up ahead." She shrugs. "Wanna go on or what?"

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Gilaemes Ishuar

Gilaemes draws his blade. "Of course." With that, he slashes through the webs as he pushes forward.

Init!
[20:18] <+Morphball> Gorbash: 18 = 1d20(7)+11

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Cave

Even the slightest touch would have been enough to alert the owners of these webs, so of course, slashing and otherwise barging through them draws the attention of a pair of giant spiders, each the size of a prize hog. Their silent movement across the web-covered walls and ceiling makes their sudden appearance and attack all the more terrifying.

Gilaemes: 18
Spiders: 9
Sinnika: ?
Yusha: ?

Stairs

"Brother Ludis?!" he exclaims. The monk kneels over the body, pulling the sheet back just long enough for a glimpse. "We had feared as much. Would you be so kind as to do our monastery a further favor and assist me in carrying him the rest of the way?"

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Sinnika

"Good, I always like bugs. Especially when they're as big as me!" So quipping, the gnome gathers her focus.

[07:36] <Morphball>: Ridley: init: 19 = 1d20(14)+5

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Gordon

"Three people carrying one body up a long and narrow flight of stairs? What could go wrong?" Gordon jests, glancing back over his shoulder at the long way they'd already came.

A short while later, as they reach the top, he glances back over his shoulder again. "Huh. That was actually really easy. Go figure."

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Hardcastle

The dwarf grunts agreement, before adjusting her pack. This had taken too long. She hoped the others were still alive. "Let's doubletime it back," she says grimly. "The others worry me."

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Yusha

"Excellent! Spiders! If you all will hold them off, I will try to establish communications in their clicking and clattering native tongue." He practices his clacks. He actually sounds quite fluent.

<21@16MormonStarWars31> .roll 1d20+4
24<+skybot24>24 MormonStarWars: 6 (1d20+4=2)

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Spider Hole

Whatever Yusha said must have a different meaning in the cave spider tongue. Tongue? Chelicerae? Whatever, you can dissect them later, right now they are coming straight for you!

Sinnika is probably getting focus, so Gilaemes can go.

Init:
Sinnika: 19
Yusha: 6

Almost There

With the main gate, two stone fortifications over an iron gate, within sight, the monk stops to thank you. "It is only a short walk past those gates, I can take him from here." He says, bowing and shaking hands and giving thanks. "Please, return when you can, you have done us a great service and the brothers would be happy to see you."

Turning back and hurrying down the steps, you go only slow enough to not tumble to your death. You reach about the same point where you met the living monk, when you meet an odd sight coming up the stairs towards you. It might be an old man in torn and soiled robes, from a distance, but even from this far you can tell from its gaunt limbs, sharp talons, and inhuman jaw, that this is some sort of undead abomination.

Gordon and Hardcastle roll initiative too!

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Gilaemes Ishuar

"In that case I hope you can speak with spirits, because in a moment that will be the only thing left to converse with!" Gilames leaps into battle with his usual enthusiasm, grinning ear to ear. His silvery blades flashes as he spins by the approaching arachnid, the point jabbing at where the many legs meet the armored body, seeking weak points.

Attacking the nearer one. Panther Spins Free lets me hit and then pop free again.
Attack! [14:39] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, 15+7 = 22
And damage! [14:40] <Krysmbot> Gorbash, 13+5 = 18

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Gordon

"Here we go again," sighs Gordon, half-growling. He takes a long draught from his tankard and wipes his mouth with his sleeve. "So who's gonna hold it down, and who's gonna stomp on it?"

<+skybot> FuegoFish: 10 (1d20+2=8)

The bad roll curse continues. Apologies for not posting sooner.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Hardcastle McCormick

This was more like it. Unslinging her axe, Hardcastle begins to thunder forwards!

<+skybot> WinsonPaine: 12 (1d20+3=9)p

pre:

HP: 55          Recoveries: 8 (3d10+3)  Init: +3
AC: 22          PD: 16                  MD: 16

Bastion - Paladin’s Challenge
Domain: Leadership
Once per turn when you make a melee attack against an enemy, hit or miss, your allies gain a +1 attack bonus against that enemy until the start of your next turn.
Invocation of War: Increase the escalation die by 1. 

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Cave

Gilaemes leaps in, delivering a hard slash that removes some chitin from one of the arachnid's forelegs, before leaping away again. These spiders are no fools to follow, though, as they both arch their back and spray sticky webs at the tasty morsels that dared to cut their way into their lair.

Each of you take 3 damage, and are covered in sticky webs that tangle up your limbs! (effectively Dazed (-4 to hit) UEONT)

Init:
Sinnika: 19

Yusha: 6

Cliff

This undead guy is quicker than he looks, rushing up the stairs to meet Hardcastle, and swiping with those sharp claws! Luckily, it glanced off of the Dwarf's armor, but will surely leave a nice bruise in the morning.

This guy is tough! Counterattacks and Dodge Mode and poo poo, so you should probably try to shove him off of the stairs! Use these rules if you don't have anything that does that: http://13thagehomebrews.blogspot.com/2013/01/improvised-maneuvers-v2.html

Init:
Ghoul: 17
Hardcastle: 12
Gordon: 10

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Hardcastle McCormick

Staring down the monster, Hardcastle is hard as hell. This would be ugly. Snarling out the liniage of the gods of war and vendetta, she feels the hate flood her bones. This would be fitting. This would rule.

Paladin Challenge on the ghoul, also INVOCATION OF WAR to increase the Escalation Die +1
[09:28] <+skybot> WinsonPaine: 20 (1d20+6=14)
[09:29] <+skybot> WinsonPaine: 13 (1d8+6=7)

pre:

HP: 55          Recoveries: 8 (3d10+3)  Init: +3
AC: 22          PD: 16                  MD: 16

Bastion - Paladin’s Challenge
Domain: Leadership
Once per turn when you make a melee attack against an enemy, hit or miss, your allies gain a +1 attack bonus against that enemy until the start of your next turn.
Invocation of War: Increase the escalation die by 1. 

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Gordon

Keeping his defensive keg squarely on his shoulder to help anchor him to the narrow staircase, Gordon keeps close to Hardcastle and joins her in landing an impressive hit on the shambling horror. "I sure hope there's only one of these things around."

Thanks to that Paladin Challenge and Invocation of War, I get a whopping +8 on my first attack roll!
[15:51] <+skybot> FuegoFish: 22 (1d20+8=14)
[15:52] <+skybot> FuegoFish: 5 (1d8+3=2)
[15:52] <+skybot> FuegoFish: 2 (1d3=2)

Assuming I hit, that's bumped me up to 4 command points already, wowzers.

pre:
HP: 38/45       Recoveries: 8 (3d8+2)  Init: +2
AC: 16          PD: 17                  MD: 15
Command: 4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Cliff

The heroes have the upper hand, and upper step, at least for now, as both land impressive blows on the Ghoul! It lashes out again with a claw aimed for Hardcastle that meets its mark this time, tearing into a lightly armored spot.

Hardcastle takes 20! Ouch!

Init:
Ghoul: 17
Hardcastle: 12
Gordon: 10

• Locked thread