Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
I think it's more of an anti-techie screed and they deserve every bit of it. Justine Tunney is an absolute lunatic and the fact Google really hasn't done poo poo to reign her in speaks loudly of the issue.

Techies being anti-union to me is just plain sad. A professional organization with licensing/certificates and skilled labor that can be apprenticed screams union but nope they just want to take our money and do nothing about it. poo poo, even the problems of outsourcing are a lot of the problems unions face(d) anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
The rabbit hole that is Justine Tunney (The so called INVENTOR OF THE OCCUPY WALL STREET MEME) is very deep.

Unsurprisingly, she claims to be a goon too. Truly fitting.

Basically, just imagine Eripsea off their meds but more looney and there you are.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Yeah just having Stanford on your diploma is going to get you a lot more attention than some random state school. Especially their CS department.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
I don't really see a need for everyone to learn programming. I mean if you WANT to an option would be great but my mom's life won't be made better by learning python or ruby and my dad doesn't need that poo poo when he uses his computer for online poker and world of tanks.

The thing is, even the people trained in programming? They're usually extremely lovely programmers too! Programming well is hard. It's tedious. It's a lot of work to test and develop something that isn't some basic scripting. The average Joe Blow probably doesn't have the heart or energy for it, and that's okay! Just like I barely understand the inner workings of my car or how a home's built, the average person doesn't need to learn how to program to get good enough use out of a computer. Obviously some quick tips and tricks like basic home repairs/computer fixes/small car maintenance are good to know, but to fully known the ins-outs of stuff is pretty pointless for the majority of people who aren't trained in it and don't have the urge to.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
If you're arguing a lot of the theory and things behind programming (ie Computer Science) can be useful in a daily basis, I MIGHT hear that argument. But general programming knowledge? Nah.

Especially if it's some ridiculous idea that everyone needs their own ~*~bespoke~*~ CRUD app or memo taker. In a lot of my high school classes, we used FrontPage/Sharepoint Designer to make webpages. In the semester it took to get everyone on the same page, you got a webpage that you'd expect out of a high school kid. If that's what you want, cool I guess. Or you could go drop a $20 and probably get a very nice looking cookie cutter website from one of the scads of webpage generators out there nowadays.

On a scale of 1-10 in 'Things I wish the general population knew more about', I would put 'coding and programming' at like a 2, maybe 3.

Stanos fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jul 30, 2014

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

enraged_camel posted:

If your argument is that basic carpentry skills can increase the average person's productivity as much as basic programming skills can, I can only conclude that you're trolling.

If I need to fix my door jamming or some other minor problems with my home/apartment, I can probably find a method online to do it simply with tools I have on hand. This is a generally useful skill.

If I want something to eat, I can find a cookbook or something online and use the ingredients to hopefully make something delicious. This is a generally useful skill.

If I need a program to play music for me, take notes or other 'simple' things, I'm going to download something. Sure I could probably find out a how-to to make my bespoke artisanal memo app but why the hell would I do that when there's something that suits my needs already out there?

Minor home/car repairs, cooking, budgeting, finance know-how are all fairly useful information for the average person out there. Knowing how to make a basic application isn't.

Basically here's my main gripe: NYC's Mayor Bloomberg had a pledge to learn coding and he's taken a JavaScript class. What the gently caress do you think bloomberg is going to do with that?

Stanos fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jul 30, 2014

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Please explain how carpentry or a mechanic is so radically different from programming that people just couldn't get it. Is there some special brain problem that people have that they could just never wrap their heads around an IF-THEN statement or a linked list if they had all the time in the world? What's different about explaining how to build a house compared to how to develop a program that someone could never get on a surface level?

I'm not some rabid anti-techie either, I've worked in the industry. Some of the people may be gross but Not All IT or whatever.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

You're so close yet so far.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
The next big thing is going to be nearsourcing rather than outsourcing probably. They tried outsourcing before, the costs weren't worth the problems. Easier to pay a guy in bumfuck nowhere 60-65k than it is to pay someone in SV 100k+. You get the knowledge and training along with the Americanized social skills, you don't have to deal with H1Bs/Green card issues and the guy getting paid is still probably rolling in cash for his cost of living area.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

Typo posted:

I've seen people who are excellent programmers who can't do carpentry for poo poo and vice-versa.

The best way to think of it is, IMO, of coding as a math problem. I personally approached my CS degree from the Math side. "wrapping your head around If-then or data structure" probably isn't all that difficult, but it's kind of like saying all there is to Math is to wrap your head around addition or integration when they are just tools to solve more complicated problems with.

The point of that wasn't 'if you can do this, you can do this too'.

The point was to try to understand why programming is some special snowflake that the average person could never understand. It isn't. It's the bizarre complex that somehow programming is for ubermensches and the plebs could never hope to understand it that confuses me. The type of thinking that people like Jeff Atwood push.

At least my main point was: Programming/coding can be difficult and tedious, not everyone needs to learn how to do it to get ahead in life or get proper use out of a computer. If we're going to teach someone useful skills in life, coding is not high on that list.

It's also a comparison between other skilled trades. Programming isn't some high horse compared to the complexities of building something or other projects. They both require a lot of know-how, skills and training. They're a lot more alike than different. It's more along the lines of something like basic carpentry or plumbing or whatever is going to be more generally useful to the average person than knowing how to make a Hello World program or whatever.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

Xae posted:

If you come up with a better set of titles than Engineer and Architect that accurately describe those subsets of Software Development please let me know.

- Designer
- Programmer
- Coder
- QA (word that isn't engineer/architect here)
- High Greybeard
- Developer
- System Planner

It's actually pretty easy to avoid taking titles of (what should be) protected and highly regulated job titles! It's almost like the fact those titles carry high prestige and people would want to co-op them without the pain involved...

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
If an engineer's faults cause an accident or worse, they are usually taken to court and charges are pressed.

If one of the projects you worked on was faulty enough to cause an accident or worse, would you be fine with prison or massive fines?

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

Xae posted:

Now how many Mechanical Engineers have been arrested due to car recalls?

Not enough.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
I think 200k is lofty depending on where you live too. My dad's been working at UPS as a driver for 24 years and my mom's a nurse and they are at like 135k. This is in St. Louis so the cost of living is lower than the average. On the coast near NYC or California, yea sure. Otherwise, eeeehhhhhh.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

McAlister posted:

I'd rather get universal healthcare and take the leverage of providing healthcare away from employers.

While I'm at it, I'd like a guaranteed income and for the rich to get taxed at what they deserve.

And a pony.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

thathonkey posted:

This came up on my Facebook earlier and I thought of this thread:

:allears:

Got to give them credit, at least they are teaching something that isn't going to disappear in 5 years or be flooded with mid-level developers like rails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Can we not misgender Tunney, there's plenty of make fun of without going that route.

• Locked thread