Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

Zeitgueist posted:

Because they lucked out into living in a time where their interests ended up making them money and they grew up being told that they were so special because Mom/Dad/Teachers didn't have the time to learn a new tool and computers sound "smart", so they've been told they're above average all their lives, and now they believe it.

The times where a technical skill picked up while loving around could provide a good living are at least as old as World War II. Richard Feynman started off repairing radios at home after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

Amused to Death posted:

Basically. Also software, as well as engineering in general tend to be male dominated fields, and in both cases not fields where you have a lot of poor people rising up into.

How can people say STEM is for rich white people with a straight face when it's got probably the largest concentration of foreigners from extremely poor countries of any white collar profession?

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

Filippo Corridoni posted:

dont worry, those foreigners are the rich white people of their nations

"India rich" is still generally pretty poor compared to US standards.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

asdf32 posted:

Hmm

Sheltered + over-privileged + white + good salary = libertarian?

Sheltered + over-privileged + white + poor salary = leftist

You are missing some finer points regarding depression, anxiety attacks and general sadbrains, but a good start.

SedanChair posted:

Also they are uneducated.

It's always rich to see people imply that a liberal arts degree is necessary to be educated or "think critically". If engineers are uneducated, imagine how retarded people who didn't go to college or dropped out of high school are!

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

Jastiger posted:

I wish I had learned programming so I could sit behind a desk and do the same amount of work I do now, but make more money.

But, I didn't. I have a degree in Sociology. I feel like I should have just ground out through something I hated (programming) and at least I could be miserable, but financially secure.

As it is I'm instead a well rounded person that doesn't believe in stupid poo poo, and I have to ask-would I still be if I had learned programming instead of social science? I'm not so sure.

Sounds like a poo poo sociology degree if they didn't force you to do a bunch of statistical work which would inevitably teach you the basics of coding. Why do they let people graduate from sociology programs without solid calc/stats skills and knowledge of at least one statistical package?

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

enraged_camel posted:

Is there a need for everyone to learn programming? In my opinion, no. Would knowing programming potentially improve everyone's life? I really do think so.

Even ignoring computers and programming languages, breaking down tasks into components and logical decisions is a highly-compensated skill that has legitimate usefulness in practically any field you care to mention.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

Cheekio posted:

Ok, I buy that 200k is nothing if you work in finance or as an executive, but outside of those two categories are there any careers that average over 200k by the time your 30? Chemical Engineer, despite the shale boom, is pretty much on par with CS majors who work on websites, and they were the poster child for how to make money directly out of college.

200k household income is not nearly as rare as 200k single income. If you are decently educated and marry a similarly educated person and don't have kids, it seems like a fairly easy mark to hit by the time you are 40ish.

Of course many people will get divorced or have kids or whatever, but it doesn't require crazy luck.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

To sell unions to programmers, you need to appeal to the right sensibilities of programmers. Unions would definitely benefit programmers:

- They could consolidate their political power as a wealthy interest group in aggregate. A union with enough money could kick out the San Francisco politicians that hold tech back
- Along with local politics, the funds raised could probably also influence national elections heavily
- A union would allow them to carefully control the people allowed to work at top companies, which would allow them to preserve the kind of boy's club working environment they like and keep wages high for the existing tech workers
- The union could go to bat for every programmer unfairly targeted by a public witchhunt for comments made off the clock

There are a ton of benefits that even a libertarian could realize

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

McAlister posted:

Mainly busy and don't want to take the time to make it nice and sourced if all people are more interested in title-chat. Since you are the only interested person and want to self research I'll just do the summary.

Its dry cleaning.

An economist wrote a paper about the most lucrative fields to get in in the 80s or 90s and dry cleaning was on the list. This got it attention because capitalists hadn't really noticed just how lucrative mom&pop dry cleaning shops were. But the study outed dry cleaning as a common occupation of millionaires. Once it had been pointed out to them they swept in and did everything the doom criers say will happen to dev if we don't fight back. Within a decade dry cleaners became min wage sweatshop workers in central laundries fed by multiple storefront collection points and the millionaire mom&pops are gone. Surviving independent cleaners work on razor thin margins struggling to compete with the economies of scale the big boys have going for them.

No poo poo that small businesses in "unsexy" sectors that deal in cash often generate huge cashflows. It really doesn't follow that an economic report that nobody here has heard of revolutionized the market for dry cleaners though.

Also, specifically relevant to the 80's and 90's, isn't a dry cleaners one of the more popular money-laundering schemes?

• Locked thread