Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

Trabisnikof posted:

No one is saying someone isn't a leftist for not being in a union. But nice strawman.

Who the gently caress cares who is a leftist or not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

SedanChair posted:

Apparently, tech workers who get super alarmed when you point out that their beliefs objectively don't amount to leftism, despite the MacBook, despite the bamboo pencil holder, despite even the Accord Hybrid they have purchased and put a rainbow sticker on

Who the gently caress cares? Honestly, you don't need to make a stand in this thread to defend the sanctity of the left. People misuse those labels literally all the time. Everywhere. The guy lives in Oklahoma, do you know what his Overton window looks like? gently caress, take a chill pill.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Summit posted:

More than a few people in this thread are really gleeful about a possible crash in developer salaries. It's pretty sad. We should have a thread in 10 years where we repost all these stupid theories about how India and vocational schools put us out of work. It'll be a good laugh.

- Someone 10 years ago (probably 10 years before that too but I wasn't in the industry)

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Computer Science: definitely a more advanced education than learning to design a skyscraper.

Some computer scientists design software that designs skyscrapers. They are the real engineers.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Yes but who programmed the computers that the guys programming CAD program on? They are the true heros

Also, guess what Autodesk groups their programming jobs under?

https://autodesk.taleo.net/careersection/adsk_gen/jobsearch.ftl?lang=en

https://autodesk.taleo.net/careersection/adsk_gen/jobdetail.ftl?job=14WD16162 :smug:

H.P. Bittercraft, are you even a real engineer? I kind of want to defer to Autodesk on this one

down with slavery fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Aug 3, 2014

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Yep, I'm a graduate of one of the top ranked engineering programs in the nation and hold licenses to practice multiple engineering disciplines.

So how come Autodesk knows that software engineers are engineers and you don't?

quote:

It's adorable that you think your work is that important to society :smug:

The irony. It's adorable how willing you are to just make sweeping claims about fields like engineering and software development without so much as pulling your head from out of your rear end.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

uncurable mlady posted:

There's a difference between someone designing a bridge and someone designing the UX for fart and burp piano.apk, I'll leave it to the reader to figure out what that difference is.

Well, to be fair there's an entire field devoted to UX and none of them really go by engineer so you're going to have to come up with some better hyperbole

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

uncurable mlady posted:

down with slavery, aren't you a web dev anyway? Did all the PHP Engineers get phased out in favor of Node Samurai?

I own a consulting firm that does all sorts of things but web development is where I started(ever made a website in Delphi? I remember when PHP looked mana from heaven). Node isn't really half as popular as reading hackernews might lead you to believe. The attitude towards titles in the community is largely "they are bullshit" and while I suspect there are a few assholes gloating about being an "engineer" to someone to make up for the fact that they dropped out of high school and just got a job dumping CSVs into SQL I doubt it's really that prolific of a phenomenon.

From my experience people who care about titles are way less concerned with ensuring a high quality of work and much more concerned with ensuring that everyone suffers as much financial and time lost as they did.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

McAlister posted:

Would people be interested in a cited effort post about an industry that used to pay what programmers get paid now, then abruptly got commoditized and wages/profits went promptly down the crapper at astounding speeds?

I'll do it after work if so. Cause understanding why that industry was vulnerable will help explain why dev isn't vulnerable.

Why don't you just tell us what the industry is instead of playing countdown to the reveal

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

SmuglyDismissed posted:

It seems there is a huge bias toward software/tech among the crazies, though.

Yeah for sure, I totally know what you mean

That huge bias just "seems" so much I can barely believe at

And they get paid more than me! What jerks!

down with slavery fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Aug 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Trabisnikof posted:

I like how you quote software devs and act like they are jealous of software devs.

He never said he was a software developer, just made some idiotic sweeping statements. Hard to tell you all apart to be quite honest.

• Locked thread