Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

agarjogger posted:

Your personal insurance, no matter how swank, has every reason to deny your claim and cancel your policy if/when they find out you're using your car for rideshare. I know nothing at all of Uber's insurance.

Look into this now.

I. Another thread in at an uber driver said their liability coverage is 25k if you're available with no passengers and one million if you have a passenger. That's... Low. And you're right, your insurance won't cover you if you get into an accident while using your vehicle for an undeclared commercial purpose.

I knew a girl in college who totalled her car delivering pizza. She was poo poo out of luck, it was not a good day for her,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

agarjogger posted:

Let me get back to you when I manage to find someone on the drivers' forum who can actually produce evidence of their effective tax owed and paid. There are some deductions against depreciation available to people using their cars for work. I still believe that in two or three cities, mine included, driving forty hour weeks and being very savvy about your pickup pattern can lead to an after-everything take-home of near $20/hr.*

*Minus the actuarial cost of the ridonkulous liability you're taking on.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Does Uber cover damage to the car done by passengers? For example that oft cited instance of a passenger stabbing a seat with a pen, would Uber reimburse the driver for that?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Cabbies are not regular dudes?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

agarjogger posted:

I think I may be trolling, sometimes. Like I don't try to, but..

Part-timers replaced with full-timers. Full-timers have poo poo enough margins that they can't give anything away. They have poo poo enough passengers that they can't be nice. So, cabbies.

So you're saying that to he sustainable and competitive, transportation services need to have razor thin profit margins, and that may have an impact on customer services? :aaa:

And the only way part timers would have better margins than full timers is if they were using another income source to subsidize their Uber stuff. It's as if the Uber model wasn't sustainable.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Cicero posted:

It'd be way cheaper to have everything automated by default and just dispatch a specialized repairperson to repair trucks in the case where they break down.

That and preventative maintenance would definitely be cheaper than having a driver in each car. Think about it this way, if the only reason to have a driver is in case something break down... It'd be more logical to have one guy on stand by for every 20 cars or whatever, depending on your mean time between failure / utilization rate.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Elephanthead posted:

I distrust humans as much as robots so I am indifferent to the OS of my death cab.

I can't wait for the day they merge AI and YOSPOS.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Hingehead posted:

The idea is that once my friend buys a car soon in a few month from now, I'd rent the car from him for $300, assuming I'd make $1000 a week, with a net loss of $300. I don't plan on doing this for the rest of my life, it is something I am thinking of doing just to give me a boost so I can head in the right financial direction again. My friend however wants to do this for the rest of his life as a permanent career.

What are your thoughts on this? Thanks.

Is that thousand bucks a week before or after taxes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The $300 would be tax deductible, for what it's worth. $700 a week works out to $2800 a month, about $33,000 a year if we assume you'll miss some days.

That's before fuel, insurance and whatnot.

• Locked thread