Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014
I think Aristotle is right. Sometimes regulations are put in place to protect both customers and service providers. While I think the medallion system is pretty dysfunctional in most cities, proper cab services at least have the liability insurance issue sorted, and the limited medallions (in theory) keep the fares high enough you can actually make a living driving. I think most of this implicit subsidy ends up going to the cab company, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014

agarjogger posted:

This would force them to raise fares to taxi level, and would generally be excellent for me.

Huh? I thought Uber's whole deal was being cheaper than taxis. There are already Uber-like apps that work with proper taxi companies and car services. If you lose that price advantage I'm not sure it's viable anymore, if it even is currently viable. I can't say without knowing all of the costs and risks involved.

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014
The OP did say Uber saved him from being a spergy basement baby. I think that's a bargain at any price.

Non-sequitur #1: Does the lack of an umlaut in "Uber" drive anyone else crazy?

Non-sequitur #2: A long time ago I volunteered at a non-profit that provided counseling and legal services for torture survivors. A lot of them were east African, and many of them ended up driving cabs once their asylum paperwork came through, since that was one of the few jobs they could get. I don't mean to be a Luddite, but man, "disrupting" the taxi industry so white guys want to drive cabs again seems pretty messed up.

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014

FrozenVent posted:

Cabbies are not regular dudes?

By "regular dudes" I assume Agarjogger meant "white people."

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014

FrozenVent posted:

It's as if the Uber model wasn't sustainable.

I have a theory that 99% of tech startups are elaborate cons to rip off VCs.

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014

lurker1981 posted:

I do the same thing with immigrant taxi drivers (legitimate ones). Sometimes I won't even pay my fares because they are immigrants, and they need to be taught a lesson about coming to America and stealing our jobs.

I used a car service once in NYC to get to the airport. I asked the driver if he was from Mexicana (the name of the car service) but I kind of wonder if he thought I was asking him if he was Mexican. He said he was. I got a call like half-way through the ride from Mexicana asking me where the hell I was. I told them I was in the car they sent, and they were like "wtf?"

So I dunno, is it OK to be lovely to immigrant cabbies if they're poaching fares? I paid the fare but I didn't tip him.

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014
Uber Sydney tweeted "We are all concerned with events in CBD. Fares have increased to encourage more drivers to come online & pick up passengers in the area."

They only backtracked and offered free rides and refunds after everyone yelled at them.

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014

Blackjack2000 posted:

Goddamn I'm sick of this bitching and moaning about surge pricing. We're not talking about ambulance rides here (which, btw, can cost thousands of dollars in the states).

Except bitching and moaning gets people free rides. Cool that you're sick of it though.

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014
Hotels could gouge their customers during expos or whatever, but they don't. Their charge varies with demand, but there is always a maximum they charge. Surge pricing pisses a lot of people off, and it may not be the best business practice in the long-run.

In the long-run Uber wants to have robot drivers anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014
Those hotels could charge $2k a night and get it, but they don't. I've read about people getting charged $1k for an über ride. That is gouging.

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014

Knyteguy posted:

Price elasticity of demand chart. If you're unfamiliar with this concept, this graph is showing unit price vs units sold. You'll notice that different prices and quantities lead to different totals (6 units * $0.50, 2.5 units * $7, etc), with a point that brings the most profit. There might be a little more to it, but it's a 101 business concept.

I actually have an MBA - Finance, but thanks. I'm familiar with the concept. I disagree with your perception of the steepness and location of hotels on that curve. And it is curvilinear in this case, I don't think it's a straight line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014
I don't really want to argue semantics, but IMO a $1k uber ride on Halloween is gougier than a $500 hotel room during a convention.

• Locked thread