Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

When flying, please wear a suit and tie just like me.
Just upholding the social conntract!

agarjogger posted:

The big X factor is that if you look at it as a job and do a 10 hour shift, you can easily do $300 in fares a day, of which you may see $175 if you have a fuel efficient car. This is what can vary your after-tax take-home anywhere from $12,000 to $36,000 assuming you're working 5-day weeks. In Chicago, NY, SF etc, there is no shortage whatsoever of customers and you just keep picking them up until you're tired or have to pee.

And your 17.50 an hour avg goes in the toilet if you have a lousy day, get sick or just take some time off. And you better factor in the increased maintenance and the cost a new fancy ride in a year or two to keep up your customer appeal in which case this is a losing proposition. Then don't forget the potential black hole insurance could leave you in. Uber is terrible. Don't be a sucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

Town car service with prices at or below taxis. The only way to make money on the company level is to cut the overhead to the bone and what you can't cut you make your contract labor force carry.

And they still can't make enough so they slash prices more to gain market share. Transport is a poo poo business. What I really can't understand is how this issue keeps getting framed as a "tech" issue. The buzz of course makes it seem like this form of exploitation is something we all have to get on board with or else the Japanese will eat our lunch! The flat rate cab service I use ~6 times a month has an app too. Same poo poo but the driver isn't assuming as much of the financial risk and isn't using their own car.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

Oh they can get worse. As soon as you see any improvement, they will start charging you a usage fee just to turn on your drat phone and blame it on the government caps that will inevitably get put into place. I can imagine a lot of ways that company could get shittier.

Get out dude. The risk alone is just stupid and you are losing ground everyday if you count how hard you are beating up your vehicle.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

Stanos posted:

Don't forget you're a 1099 contractor so you have to pay all your own taxes too!

UberX is a sucker's bet. Don't do it. If you like being a taxi or want to move onto something legit, get a CDL/Chauffeur's license.

I was kinda hoping that figure already included that, but, yeah you'll get knocked pretty hard if it wasn't!

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

posh spaz posted:

I have a theory that 99% of tech startups are elaborate cons to rip off VCs.

VC is just as complicit. They don't really believe in half of what they do anyhow but the risks v. payoff make it lucrative and no less idiotic than their alternative which is the trade of existing assets which can be bolstered greatly by startup/ipo mania.

Welcome to a non-production based economy which is all about sticking your hand into the other guy's pocket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

canyoneer posted:

The founders may shed a tear or two while counting their millions before moving onto their next startup.

Yeah. The current environment of business is to reward the illogical poo poo out of risk taking. Those guys will never want for a job as long as those that really matter can get cashed out before the whole thing falls apart. Every time I see Steve Case's face I am more convinced of this.

• Locked thread