Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
...somehow.

http://www.republicreport.org/2014/leading-civil-rights-groups-just-sold-out-on-net-neutrality/

quote:

The civil rights group letters argue that Title II reclassification of broadband services as a public utility — the only path forward for real net neutrality after a federal court ruling in January — would somehow “harm communities of color.” The groups wrote to the FCC to tell them that “we do not believe that the door to Title II should be opened.” Simply put, these groups, many of which claim to carry the mantle of Martin Luther King Jr., are saying that Comcast and Verizon should be able to create Internet slow lanes and fast lanes, and such a change would magically improve the lives of non-white Americans.

The Minority Media and Telecommunications Council (MMTC) coordinated many of the participants in the anti-net neutrality filings sent to the FCC last week. Last year, the Center for Public Integrity published an investigation of MMTC, showing that the group has raised hundreds of thousands of dollars from Verizon, Comcast, the National Cable and Telecommunications Association, and other telecom sources while reliably peddling the pro-telecom industry positions. For instance, the group attacked the Obama administration’s first attempt at net neutrality, while celebrating the proposed (and eventually successful) merger between Comcast and NBC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
pity reply

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

pity quote

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

You only delay the inevitable. All of this island will soon belong to me.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
i hope comcast wins and eliminates net neutrality, then sets up a tiered internet access program like with cable tv

then i hope all the bribed groups find their donation websites behind hilarious paywalls where they are viewed as "ultra preimum" content and comcast charges $199 a month to see their sites

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
i hope comcast literally shuts down the internet

they did just bump me up to 50 mbit though so idk

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
establish an "internet slow lane" for u r posts

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

perhaps all of these massive cross-country communications networks built with public funding should be treated as a public good and regulated unequivocally by a government administration, like railroads or the interstates, instead of being de facto ceded to the cable company because free enterprise no gubmit in my pockets nanny state are taxes profits small business minimum wage free market!

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Sagebrush posted:

free enterprise no gubmit in my pockets nanny state are taxes profits small business minimum wage free market!

don't post my dad

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

perhaps all of these massive cross-country communications networks built with public funding should be treated as a public good and regulated unequivocally by a government administration, like railroads or the interstates, instead of being de facto ceded to the cable company because free enterprise no gubmit in my pockets nanny state are taxes profits small business minimum wage free market!

lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
making the internet a public utility would be a fantastic way to destroy it

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

hey FCC wheres my darkie-net

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Shaggar posted:

making the internet a public utility would be a fantastic way to destroy it

ISPs shouldn't be replaced by the government, but the physical infrastructure should be managed and controlled by the FCC the same way the radio spectrums are handled. everyone gets equal access to the network. if one of the providers is abusing their license, it would be revoked and assigned to someone else.

yes i know it's different because you have a physical medium to deal with, i dunno, cancel one of the new aircraft carriers and have enough money to keep the fiber optics working for another two decades. whatever.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
that's already how it works but it doesn't help

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

no it's more like that's how it was supposed to work, but it doesn't. :911:

oh well.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
no, I can literally buy cable internet service from 3 different companies but it ends up being identical service at identical prices.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

wish ur posts were generated by public funding then we could underinvest

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ahahaa no then they'd become even longer and shittier and more obtuse and you'd never be rid of them

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
and your childrens childrens children will still be paying for them

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the children are rhetorical, obviously.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

What would these minorities browser history look like

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Shaggar posted:

no, I can literally buy cable internet service from 3 different companies but it ends up being identical service at identical prices.

p. much this. the local loop here is owned by a company that doesnt sell services (openreach) and has to sell access at the same prices to everyone. there's not a huge amount of service or price differentiation other than a couple of isps who think they are special snowflakes worth paying more for. it didn't kickstart a fibre in the ground landrush because that poo poo is expensive and nobody wants to spend the money unless they can have exclusive access to the network.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

p. much this. the local loop here is owned by a company that doesnt sell services (openreach) and has to sell access at the same prices to everyone. there's not a huge amount of service or price differentiation other than a couple of isps who think they are special snowflakes worth paying more for. it didn't kickstart a fibre in the ground landrush because that poo poo is expensive and nobody wants to spend the money unless they can have exclusive access to the network.

its almost like there are costs or something? idk.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
there was nothing wrong with att being a monopoly

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

this dude should try and use a TV these days :razz:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

pram posted:

there was nothing wrong with att being a monopoly

the att breakup lead to a fragmentation of technology that probably set the telcom industry back 10 years

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Shaggar posted:

the att breakup lead to a fragmentation of technology that probably set the telcom industry back 10 years

this is some top tier shaggaring folks

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i agree completely. its much easier to fund something like bell labs when yr shareholders arent wanting to strip mine any value from the company

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

shaggar is literally The Man

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
you could only get really lovely DSL from Verizon (which then sold its service in our area to Frontier) or Comcast cable here then a fiber company showed up and made a deal with our county to get assistance in doing the fiber runs

then comcast whinged about it and threatened some sort of vague legal action, which our councilmen and women ignored and promptly signed onto the deal with the fiber company

apparently everyone in the expanding area the fiber company supports is dropping comcast to the point where they're trying to keep customers by cutting their bills in half; which isn't working since the fiber company provides pretty much all of the same tv channels and 2-3 times faster network speeds even in base packages which are actually reliable during peak hours

short version gently caress comcast

e: also AT&T has some sort of deal in our county/state where we (the university) cannot have a free open wifi service because it competes with them so we have to restrict ours to faculty/staff/students

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jul 29, 2014

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
like its still all hosed up because even though modern equipment can emulate all kinds of protocols and stuff in software, 90% of the gear at the Telco you connect it to is 40 years old and has changed hands 5 times so no one knows what it really does or even where it is and it will be configured wrong 5 times before they get it right.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if the FCC was a technical standards organization instead of a "gently caress everything up in weird new ways each week"/censorship org it would be pretty good.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Shaggar posted:

like its still all hosed up because even though modern equipment can emulate all kinds of protocols and stuff in software, 90% of the gear at the Telco you connect it to is 40 years old and has changed hands 5 times so no one knows what it really does or even where it is and it will be configured wrong 5 times before they get it right.

i agree isps are all poo poo fucks

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Shaggar posted:

lol what

y'all barely have electricity out there

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

maniacdevnull posted:

i agree isps are all poo poo fucks

no this is the phone companies that have been public utilities for decades

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
how does ATT still get away with calling Uverse a fiber service

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

they use fiberglass in the co so that counts right? that counts, were telling everyone that that counts

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

if u eat fiber u get exactly what uverse is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Shaggar posted:

where the gently caress do you live that you have a choice beyond a landline phone company still desperately trying to convince people that DSL is a viable broadband option so they keep paying for a landline, and a single cable broadband ISP?

edit: oh, right, Maine

• Locked thread