Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Doc Block posted:

where the gently caress do you live that you have a choice beyond a landline phone company still desperately trying to convince people that DSL is a viable broadband option so they keep paying for a landline, and a single cable broadband ISP?

edit: oh, right, Maine

satellite totally counts as an alternative

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

saying "i can get the same price for the same service from three different places" doesn't at all imply that either the service or the price is remotely reasonable

eg, the last time i was living in canada a few years ago, there were like five different options, all for the same price and with the same level of service, which was 25 megabits down / 3 up with a 50 gigabyte monthly cap for like 89,99 / mo

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

yess another nut neutrality thread with shaggar at the helm

:suspense:

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Sagebrush posted:

saying "i can get the same price for the same service from three different places" doesn't at all imply that either the service or the price is remotely reasonable

a kentucky town opened a government run gas station for this exact reason

http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...7d23_story.html

spoiler alert: prices fell

Phoning It In
Oct 17, 2010

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

quote:

“If milk got too high, are you going to build a dairy?” said Ted Mason, executive director of the Kentucky Grocers Association and Kentucky Association of Convenience Stores.

hey yeah not a bad idea either

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I can't believe it's at the point now where I look at my nz Internet and then American Internet and just die laughing at what a state yours is in and is going

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Phoning It In posted:

hey yeah not a bad idea either

also milk prices are heavily regulated by the government

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
you're government is hosed up when it comes to subsidies. fuckin oil is subsidised? idgi given just how anti gubmint it claims to be

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Shaggar posted:

no, I can literally buy cable internet service from 3 different companies but it ends up being identical service at identical prices.

thats cool, i actually have two options here. comcast and comcast business

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
also 1.5 mbit at&t u-verse for $45/mo but lmao no

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

lol at everyones poo poo internet

i get 100 mbits for $60 a month with no bandwith caps through comcast

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

tbh i am more disgusted at how easy it is to manipulate minority groups to do the bidding of moneyed (white male) interests than i am at the manipulation itself

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

it's like when you hear about some politician getting busted for accepting, like, a $10,000 bribe and are all "really? that's loving it? have some self-respect and at least get up into 6 digits"

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cnidaria posted:

:hf:

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
wait what group can I set up a nonprofit about and then get sweet sweet slush fund money for?

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Cnidaria posted:

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

duTrieux. posted:

it's like when you hear about some politician getting busted for accepting, like, a $10,000 bribe and are all "really? that's loving it? have some self-respect and at least get up into 6 digits"
that's called campaign donations when it reaches 6 digits

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Jimmy Carter posted:

wait what group can I set up a nonprofit about and then get sweet sweet slush fund money for?

exploit their fear.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Phoenixan posted:

that's called campaign donations when it reaches 6 digits

fine, have the lobbyist throw in a live tiger or something instead idk

just

if you're gonna go in, go big, y'know?

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

i pay $65 and get 20mbit from comcast whats goin on here

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Shaggar posted:

the att breakup lead to a fragmentation of technology that probably set the telcom industry back 10 years

lmao

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Cnidaria posted:

comcast is indefensibly bad and had badwith caps less than 2 years ago

bandwidth caps that didn't exist a few years prior and were introduced solely as a way to rape the american public

gently caress comcast

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

duTrieux. posted:

fine, have the lobbyist throw in a live tiger or something instead idk

just

if you're gonna go in, go big, y'know?

i hear you can get a bengal cub for an even grand nowadays

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

that probably doesn't include all of the shots + microchip, though

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
or hobo bait liquor steaks

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
oh man shaggar you are hilarious

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I pay $109/month for 50mbps internet, a dvr, and a second box plus like 500 HD channels that my wife watches

it was gonna be $136/month but then I decided to walk into the xfinity store and talk to someone in person and see what deals I could strong arm them into and heh

guess u nerds need to get out of your dwellings and go talk to some poor sweaty guy trying to make a living selling cable to Americans :smug:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol I was at home content with adsl and some fucker dropped some poo poo in my letter box and upgrades to fibre for not only free but CHEAPER so yeah strong armed my dick

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

eg, the last time i was living in canada a few years ago, there were like five different options, all for the same price and with the same level of service, which was 25 megabits down / 3 up with a 50 gigabyte monthly cap for like 89,99 / mo

no, it implies that publicly accessible lines dont make service cheaper or alter competition because all the cost is in the last mile. putting the government in charge of that last mile isn't gonna do anyone any good.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

yeah that works pretty well as long as people don't realize they already paid for the gas once w/ their property taxes.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

it hosed up our cell networks too.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Shaggar posted:

it hosed up our cell networks too.

ooooh ooooh please share the details

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the fragmentation led to each entity developing its own technology and leasing different frequency space from the fcc. so it ended up loving up frequency allocation too! nice work.

the fix? just put every possible radio in every phone.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

last time i talked about telecom in yospos i got fishmeched to hell so i gotta be careful

id rather get shaggared than fishmeched though

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

a 50 gigabyte monthly cap for like 89,99 / mo

lmao

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Shaggar posted:

no, it implies that publicly accessible lines dont make service cheaper or alter competition because all the cost is in the last mile. putting the government in charge of that last mile isn't gonna do anyone any good.

oh man, you're right. if there are three options then the invisible hand must be working right and these must be the lowest prices and the best service possible. pure, clean, wholesome american free enterprise like the telcos would surely never collude and fix prices. "record profits?" i'm unfamiliar with those words

Shaggar posted:

yeah that works pretty well as long as people don't realize they already paid for the gas once w/ their property taxes.

presumably the state-run gas station is also paying taxes on the gas it sells and it's all sorted out somewhere upstream, but no one would give a poo poo either way because it's cheaper than the private ones.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

aaargh im being shaggar'd hard

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

oh man, you're right. if there are three options then the invisible hand must be working right and these must be the lowest prices and the best service possible. pure, clean, wholesome american free enterprise like the telcos would surely never collude and fix prices. "record profits?" i'm unfamiliar with those words
just like every other public utility that's run the same way.

Sagebrush posted:

presumably the state-run gas station is also paying taxes on the gas it sells and it's all sorted out somewhere upstream, but no one would give a poo poo either way because it's cheaper than the private ones.
its not cheaper if you live in the town that owns it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
reminder that internet caps have nothing to do with net neutrality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Shaggar posted:

the fragmentation led to each entity developing its own technology and leasing different frequency space from the fcc. so it ended up loving up frequency allocation too! nice work.

the fix? just put every possible radio in every phone.

so if there was no divestiture there would have been only one mobile phone network technology in the us? sure, i guess

we'd all be using IS-136 TDMA networks engineered to give us the best call quality in the world and < 50 kbps data speeds in tyool 2014

and every home in america would have an ISDN line

shaggar's america

• Locked thread